2020 Jets will be a ground and pound team by default

Based on polls only, we are facing the toughest CBs group (Patriots, Bills and Miami are top 10 teams) against one of the weakest group on the Jets team.  Also, with our questionable pass protection and for Sam Darnold's health sake, this team will most likely depend on the ground and pound on most offensive snaps. (Sam will probably average less that 20 passing attempts per game this year). Bell, Gore, Perine and Ballage will be heavily active packaged with our TE's,  We can only keep our fingers crossed that our OL can create big holes to help the passing situation; but I am going to forecast a 65% running to 35% passing plays this year. 

• Thumb Down 1

10 minutes ago, 82nd Airborne said:

Based on polls only, we are facing the toughest CBs group (Patriots, Bills and Miami are top 10 teams) against one of the weakest group on the Jets team.  Also, with our questionable pass protection and for Sam Darnold's health sake, this team will most likely depend on the ground and pound on most offensive snaps. (Sam will probably average less that 20 passing attempts per game this year). Bell, Gore, Perine and Ballage will be heavily active packaged with our TE's,  We can only keep our fingers crossed that our OL can create big holes to help the passing situation; but I am going to forecast a 65% running to 35% passing plays this year. 

Lol - maybe if this were a college football team in the 1980's.  

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

Our offense will rely heavily on tight ends and rb's early on. We'll see our RB's used a lot more in the passing game. Once some of the Jets new receivers get acclimated with the offense and get healthier, that's when we'll start hitting on all cylinders offensively - Max Q. 

i think you're right.  they'll do ball control with short slants to te's or passes to the flat for the rb's.  and that's okay as long as it moves the chains.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, 82nd Airborne said:

And much of this can be old school with Wesco paving the way at FB on a lot of plays and the great fake there is that either the RB or Wesco as the FB can wind up making a running play become a good short pass to either RB or FB.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, 82nd Airborne said:

never happen unless we want to lose every game

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, 82nd Airborne said:

i don't think the split is going to be 65 run and 35 pass.  what i think they'll do is get the te's more involved in the passing game.  the split may favor the run but maybe by a couple of percents.

• Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, 82nd Airborne said:

I’m fine if it works and wins games. However- ill set the ova unda on 20 or less pass attempts in a single game at 1.

20 or less in this day and age is rare.

I just hope we have a functional OL and I'll trust Sam to take care of the rest....along with an improved ground game.  If we have an OL and Sam has time to read the field then all's well.  Otherwise......  (throws his hands up in the air and shrugs)  

I don't think Gase give a flying ****.  He is going to keep throwing.  They went 31/24 pass/run, 22/20 and 26/19 when Darnold was out with Siemian, Falk and Fales under center.  65/35% is ridiculous even as a silly exaggeration.  Unless you think they are going to be nursing big leads (ha!)  they will be passing more than running. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, LIJetsFan said:

Sam to take care of the rest

I am concerned about his decision making process while under pressure; it has shown in practices this year with a couple of really bad interceptions.  I hope that he protects the ball better instead of squeezing bad throws to our opponents hands, especially in our tough defensive teams in our division. 

• Sympathy 1

41 minutes ago, 82nd Airborne said:

I am concerned about his decision making process while under pressure; it has shown in practices this year with a couple of really bad interceptions.  I hope that he protects the ball better instead of squeezing bad throws to our opponents hands, especially in our tough defensive teams in our division. 

hes thrown, what two that have been reported?  One was called bad?

2 hours ago, johnnysd said:

maybe but not at all relatable to a Jets team on any level AND expect that offense to be seriously less succesful this year. We have seen this show before

Actually I’ve seen it both ways.  It’s camp.  
And we haven’t seen a single snap for obvious reasons

• Upvote 1

Looking at JD's approach at FA and the draft I had a feeling the offensive strategy would be to utilize TEs, RBs, Crowder in the slot and the running game to move the chains even before this rash of WR injuries. 

Although we will see Mims back eventually- along with Perriman and even V.Smith, I have no issue with this approach b/c it should protect Sam, it should help the O-line gel early on and it should chew clock and give out Defense some time to rest. There will be plenty of opportunities to draw up pass plays to our WR playmakers once they are back on the field (Perriman- now back, Mims). 

And yes, although I understand that its important for rookies and new players to get comfortable playing with Darold and in the NFL respectively, I also think there is a bit of 'the sky is falling' view of the injuries. As long as Darnold has Perriman, Herndon, Crowder and Bell, those are his main targets. If Mims can be there as a threat, V.Smith, Griffin, and a big body in Cager or even veteran in Moncrief that will help. It's certainly not a great situation but the way Jet fans are talking about it, you would think we may as well punt on first down. Let's give some of these guys a chance. If Sam is the QB some of us think he can be with an improved o-line, he will get guys open.