2020 Jets will be a ground and pound team by default

5 hours ago, BurnleyJet said:

Well any semi-pro level receiver who gets cut from a team, the Jets will be putting a waiver claim in for. The starting Wide Receivers week 1, may not even be on the team now. 

Tough to sign any Wr that late to make an impact on any team.    Tough for any  wr to learn the offense, and to develop any  timing with the Qb.      Case in Point Raiders traded for Zay Jones early in the season last year, and he never did much( Carr never even looked his way).      All offseason he has worked extensively with D Carr, drop some weight, and has make big difference in the way he has looked in the offense . Probably nailed the sixth wr spot.

1 minute ago, Raideraholic said:

Tough to sign any Wr that late to make an impact on any team.    Tough for any  wr to learn the offense, and to develop any  timing with the Qb.      Case in Point Raiders traded for Zay Jones early in the season last year, and he never did much( Carr never even looked his way).      All offseason he has worked extensively with D Carr, drop some weight, and has make big difference in the way he has looked in the offense . Probably nailed the sixth wr spot.

When your out of options, you can’t Be choosers. On the other note Zay Jones is a head job ?

23 hours ago, 82nd Airborne said:

Based on polls only, we are facing the toughest CBs group (Patriots, Bills and Miami are top 10 teams) against one of the weakest group on the Jets team.  Also, with our questionable pass protection and for Sam Darnold's health sake, this team will most likely depend on the ground and pound on most offensive snaps. (Sam will probably average less that 20 passing attempts per game this year). Bell, Gore, Perine and Ballage will be heavily active packaged with our TE's,  We can only keep our fingers crossed that our OL can create big holes to help the passing situation; but I am going to forecast a 65% running to 35% passing plays this year. 

I get your points but 65-35 is silly. At best I could see something like 55-45. You can't be that predictable and expect to win. Not to mention, the OL simply isn't capable of doing the things that Brick, Nick, Faneca, Woody, and Moore did. That group was a much more talented group. The Jets current OL doesn't compare. 

9 hours ago, BurnleyJet said:

Well any semi-pro level receiver who gets cut from a team, the Jets will be putting a waiver claim in for. The starting Wide Receivers week 1, may not even be on the team now. 

Well, not really. The starters will be Perriman, Mims and Crowder. If Mims cant go they will have Moncrief and/or Hogan step in. I just don't see the Jets signing a castoff last minute and starting him ahead of Hogan or Moncrief or one of the other WRs currently on the roster if they are able to come back from injury. Maybe we see one receiver added for depth but this notion that or starters will be signed castoffs is silly. 

• Upvote 1

I always heard that elite passing QB's raise can the talent-level of all those around him.

Kirk Cousins got close to 900 yards and 7 TD's from Crowder.

Jameis Winston got close to 700 yards and 6 TD's from Perriman, almost all of that in 4 games.

Blake Bortles got close to 700 yards and 3 TD's from Donte Moncrief in 2018.

Tom Brady got close to 700 yards and 4 TD's from Hogan when he had to be played more.

Big Ben averaged about 600 yards and 2 TDs from Bell in the passing game.

Sam himself got 500 Yards and 4 TD's from Herndon.

Mims is an unknown and sidelines for now, granted.  But he, Gore, Perine should all contribute something.

If Sam can match these QB's with his skill player group in-total, that's 4,100 Yards and 26 TD's with no production from Mims, Gore, Perine, Griffin, etc.

There is enough talent and potential here, presuming we spread the ball around, presuming most of them stay healthy, and presuming our QB is, in fact, elite.

• Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 2

Tom Brady took Average wr’s and made them look great. Sam has good qualities as a QB- good vision, pocket presence, accuracy, can extend plays.  It’s more contingent on the OL protecting Sam and giving him the time he needs. Any decent QB can riddle a defense if he has time in the pocket regardless who he throws to.  And these guys are pros. It’s not like JD scoured Walmart to find someone for Sam to throw to. Crowder, one of the best slot wr’s in NFL, Griffin and Herndon compliment each other well and Sam has very good chemistry with them, Bell and Perine will be used more in the passing game. We’ll get Perriman and Mims back soon.  It will be fine. 

On 8/29/2020 at 9:57 AM, 82nd Airborne said:

Based on polls only, we are facing the toughest CBs group (Patriots, Bills and Miami are top 10 teams) against one of the weakest group on the Jets team.  Also, with our questionable pass protection and for Sam Darnold's health sake, this team will most likely depend on the ground and pound on most offensive snaps. (Sam will probably average less that 20 passing attempts per game this year). Bell, Gore, Perine and Ballage will be heavily active packaged with our TE's,  We can only keep our fingers crossed that our OL can create big holes to help the passing situation; but I am going to forecast a 65% running to 35% passing plays this year. 

Gonna be tough to be a ground and pound team when yer talentless defense has you down by three scores mid way through 2nd ¼.  

Tell me what team goes full bore into the running game during garbage time?

3 hours ago, PepPep said:

Well, not really. The starters will be Perriman, Mims and Crowder. If Mims cant go they will have Moncrief and/or Hogan step in. I just don't see the Jets signing a castoff last minute and starting him ahead of Hogan or Moncrief or one of the other WRs currently on the roster if they are able to come back from injury. Maybe we see one receiver added for depth but this notion that or starters will be signed castoffs is silly. 

90% of the opinions on this board can be classified as "silly" if politeness is required.  If not, most should be called much worse.

21 hours ago, DirtyJersey said:

Gonna be tough to be a ground and pound team when yer talentless defense has you down by three scores mid way through 2nd ¼.  

Tell me what team goes full bore into the running game during garbage time?

I’m not concerned about the defense at all.  Davis and Maye have looked excellent in TC

im worried our offense might make a case for being ranked 33rd

1 hour ago, Philc1 said:

I’m not concerned about the defense at all.  Davis and Maye have looked excellent in TC

im worried our offense might make a case for being ranked 33rd

Running game, probably.  Passing game will have a ton of yards cause they will be in garbage time early.  The multi million dollar question is if Darnold hits 30 TDs or 30 INTs.  It is really all this season is about.

1 minute ago, Losmeister said:

pretty sure you got this wrong..  that would mean 

ONLY 5 of 11 attempts per game were designed...  ?   

I don't know.  That's why I'm asking.  Surely it's not smart to have a high % of your QB's 176 carries be called runs. 

And regardless, ANY % of scrambles would lower the called run/pass ratio for the Ravens to closer to 50/50.  Most certainly it is NOT the case that 59 % of Baltimore's called plays last season were runs.  Nor would that mean "ground n pound" is back. 

When it comes to QB's who are run threats, its Jackson, Allen, and everyone else.  Nearly any time those 2 QB's can't find someone open they can run for first downs.  That does not mean run-heavy play calling across the league is the "new trend".  

17 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Nor would that mean "ground n pound" is back. 

When it comes to QB's who are run threats, its Jackson, Allen, and everyone else.  Nearly any time those 2 QB's can't find someone open they can run for first downs.  That does not mean run-heavy play calling across the league is the "new trend".  

oh, i get THAT part...

that we go run and short pass seems wise at this juncture...

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, DirtyJersey said:

Running game, probably.  Passing game will have a ton of yards cause they will be in garbage time early.  The multi million dollar question is if Darnold hits 30 TDs or 30 INTs.  It is really all this season is about.

So he could be a white Jameis?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Losmeister said:

"His designed runs in his first two NFL seasons -- 130 in 2018 and 135 in 2019 -- are the two highest totals by any quarterback in a season since ESPN Stats & Information began tracking the stat in 2006."

so 135 designed runs, 41 scrambles....

Scary stuff once Lamar gets paid.

3 hours ago, TNJet said:

I seriously doubt that. Gase has a ratio of 3/1 pass over run for his career. He also has a stigma of not being able to get former all pros like Bell the ball enough.

If Gase is smart he will run the ball 25+ times per game

But Gase isn’t smart 

8 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

If Gase is smart he will run the ball 25+ times per game

But Gase isn’t smart 

He did that when Sam was out last season. 0-4. If he's smart he'll take what the defense gives him. But like you said, he isn't smart. I think Gase actually over thinks simple situations. If its 3rd and 3 run it or play action pass...3rd and 10 throw the ball. Football isn't rocket science. If it was, coaches like Rex Ryan, Herm Edwards, or Mike Ditka wouldn't have had success. 

19 hours ago, TNJet said:

He did that when Sam was out last season. 0-4. If he's smart he'll take what the defense gives him. But like you said, he isn't smart. I think Gase actually over thinks simple situations. If its 3rd and 3 run it or play action pass...3rd and 10 throw the ball. Football isn't rocket science. If it was, coaches like Rex Ryan, Herm Edwards, or Mike Ditka wouldn't have had success. 

Gase got exposed as a hack last season

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...