Jags releasing Fournette

21 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Yeah, I get it.  Doesn't change my point.  It's such a meme at this point.

We seem to want every single player who ever gets cut or released, especially if anyone, anywhere, has heard of them.

Its highly unusual for players as talented as Leonard Fournette, Jadeveon Clowney, and Logan Ryan (signed by Giants today) to be available to sign or claim off waivers this late in the off-season.

What I find a meme is the Bilal Powell thread, when we all know his NFL career is pretty much toast. Nobody wants to sign that guy but those Jets fans who still romanticize him.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

Yeah, I get it.  Doesn't change my point.  It's such a meme at this point.

We seem to want every single player who ever gets cut or released, especially if anyone, anywhere, has heard of them.

Soory a three year player isnt from some kind of All-Pro roster from 10 years ago.  Hes played 3 years, doesnt fit the bill. 

When you need players and a better player than what's on your roster you better check in, thats how sports works, dont you think?

That said I've never been a fan of Fournette so I dont particularly want him

38 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Soory a three year player isnt from some kind of All-Pro roster from 10 years ago.  Hes played 3 years, doesnt fit the bill. 

When you need players and a better player than what's on your roster you better check in, thats how sports works, dont you think?

That said I've never been a fan of Fournette so I dont particularly want him

How much better than Ballage haha lol....  

Run him.  He is better than any back we have.  Perine would’ve been a gem, IMO.  No brainer to bring in Fournette.  But brains, just don’t operate here.  Same old JETS.  Same old fans.  Clueless.

• Thumb Down 1

12 minutes ago, NYJets8 said:

How much better than Ballage haha lol....  

Run him.  He is better than any back we have.  Perine would’ve been a gem, IMO.  No brainer to bring in Fournette.  But brains, just don’t operate here.  Same old JETS.  Same old fans.  Clueless.

I( dont want Fournette, bad teamate, often injured and last season was his first over 4.0 per carry.

• Upvote 1

Fournette is now a free agent.  And now this:

https://www.bigcatcountry.com/2020/9/1/21417214/mark-long-jacksonville-jaguars-players-were-tired-of-leonard-fournette

Mark Long: Jacksonville Jaguars players were “tired of Leonard Fournette”

By Ryan Day@ryaneatscake  Sep 1, 2020, 2:17pm EDT 

The Jacksonville Jaguars yesterday cut running back Leonard Fournette and it was a surprise to many why the team would let go of a veteran running back on a questionable offense led by a question mark at quarterback.

But Mark Long of the Associated Press helped flesh out some answers on 1010XL radio today, describing what he believes was a tense locker room with players actively lobbying coaches and decision-makers to get Fournette off the team.

.@APMarkLong says he believes some Jaguars players were responsible for getting Fournette cut

VjZVlLrD7rZ8StTb.jpg

“Players got tired of Leonard Fournette. Some players in that locker room went to the powers that be and said they want him gone. And when the coaching staff already wanted him gone and the front office already tried to get rid of him and now the players come and go they want him out saying ‘he’s not on board with what we’re trying to do, what we’re able to do’ I think that’s when you pull the trigger. Something happened and that is my strong belief and theory of what’s going on right now. This was almost a player revolt.”

It’s been a very strange 24 hours.

• Upvote 1

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/leonard-fournette-reportedly-filing-a-grievance-for-voided-2020-salary-from-jaguars-211150656.html

Yahoo Sports

Leonard Fournette reportedly filing a grievance for voided 2020 salary from Jaguars

Frank Schwab
Frank Schwab
September 1, 2020, 5:11 PM EDT·2 mins read

The Jacksonville Jaguars released Leonard Fournette and saving Fournette’s salary had to be part of the reason.

Maybe they won’t be saving that money after all.

Fournette has filed a grievance over the $4.167 million base salary the team voided, according to ESPN’s Adam Schefter. It’s not the first time the team and the former first-round pick have battled over money.

The uneasy Jaguars-Fournette relationship isn’t finished quite yet.

Leonard Fournette, Jaguars have been at odds before

The Jaguars and Fournette have butted heads since Fournette was the fourth pick of the 2017 draft.

Fournette was suspended for a game by the team his rookie season for “an infraction of a team rule.” Fournette said late last season he won a grievance — one of many filed by Jaguars players while Tom Coughlin was executive vice president — over a $99,000 fine handed out because Fournette was sitting on the bench during the 2018 season finale when he was inactive.

The battle that matters now stems from a one-game NFL suspension for an on-field fight against the Buffalo Bills in 2018. The Jaguars claimed that suspension voided the rest of the guaranteed money in his contract. Fournette filed a grievance and Pro Football Talk said that grievance has not been settled.

Now, that decision is worth more than $4 million.

Jaguars wanted to void Fournette’s guaranteed money

The Jaguars turned off just about every player who was with them in the Coughlin era, constantly antagonizing them with egregious fines.

The team’s claim that Fournette’s fight with then-Bills end Shaq Lawson allowed them to void the remaining guaranteed money in his rookie deal — which included his 2020 salary — was dubious. It seemed like Jacksonville was searching for a loophole if it wanted to cut a player who hadn’t lived up to his draft expectations.

Fournette cleared waivers and is a free agent, according to Tom Pelissero of NFL Media. There were no teams clamoring to trade for him before the Jaguars cut him. But Fournette might find himself making a nice salary this season no matter what, if he wins his grievance.

4 hours ago, Dcat said:

I don't want him on this team.

Not surprising. There's a reason that a guy with his production had next to no interest. There's some guys that can put up huge numbers on terrible teams, but once they're on an actual team..they can't handle it. If you have those guys...you're probably a bad team. 

• Upvote 1

Patriots, Rams and Bears are all believed to be lacking interest in Fournette:

https://www.nfl.com/news/leonard-fournette-patriots-rams-not-believed-to-be-in-running-to-sign-rb

Patriots not believed to be in running to sign Leonard Fournette

Published: Sep 02, 2020 at 08:46 AM

Headshot_Author_Kevin-Patra_2020

Kevin Patra

Around the NFL Writer

The New England Patriots have been a popular pick to land new free-agent running back Leonard Fournette. That marriage apparently won't take place.

NFL Network's Mike Giardi reported that a source within the organization does not believe the team will be in the running for the back. 

Fournette cleared waivers Tuesday with no team willing to take on the $4 million on his contract. It wasn't a surprise no team plucked him off waivers given that none were willing to trade even a conditional late-round pick to Jacksonville.

The Patriots had jumped out as a potential landing spot for Fournette based on analysts viewing it as a potential position of need in New England's offensive transition.

Sony Michel has been dealing with injury, which has opened up the door for second-year back Damien Harris to take over the bulk of the workload. The former third-round pick appears in line to lead the Pats' backfield.

It's likely New England is comfortable with its diverse backfield rather than bringing in a two-down player like Fournette, who hasn't proven dynamic in the passing game. Alongside Harris and Michel, the Pats employ James White, Rex Burkhead, UDFA J.J. Taylor and Lamar Miller, who recently came off the PUP list.

The Pats aren't the only team letting it be known they're not interested in signing Fournette.

Rams coach Sean McVay noted Tuesday that L.A. didn't have interest in acquiring the RB.

"He's a good player but we feel good about the guys we have in house. We're not looking at anyone externally," McVay said, via the L.A. Times.

The Rams want to see what they have in rookie Cam Akers. McVay has insisted all offseason they're comfortable running a committee of Akers, Malcolm Brown and Darrell Henderson. While Fournette's relationship with corner Jalen Ramsey might have led to dot-connecting, it appears L.A. isn't interested.

Bears coach Matt Nagy also said Wednesday that Chicago was standing pat at the running back position.

"I'll just say we really like where we're at right now with our running back room," Nagy told reporters, per The Athletic.

Chicago was a logical landing spot for Fournette after starting Bears RB David Montgomery went down last week with a groin injury that is expected to sideline him for the start of the 2020 season. The Bears also employ Tarik Cohen, Ryan Nall and Artavis Pierce.

Let’s add another team to the list of potential Leonard Fournette suitors. NFL Network’s Mike Garafolo tweets that the Buccaneers are among the teams “making a push” for the running back. Albert Breer of TheMMQB is hearing similar things, with the reporter tweetingthat Tampa Bay has “emerged as a serious suitor” for Fournette.

14 hours ago, playtowinthegame said:

Pats interested in Fournette, and they just released Mohamed Sanu.

Prediction: Pats will get Leonard Fournette.

Meanwhile Jets fans in a clamor to sign Sanu.

As they should be.  We can use Sanu.  He’s a local guy to from Rutgers

If you want to win, to go for it, you are aggressive in your signings.

The really great teams don't have to do that, but even they do it sometimes.  

The Bucs are going for it.  The Jets and JD are not signing players like Fournette, Clowney this year.  It is not a great investment for this roster, there is too much uncertainty next year, and the Johnsons may be cash poor.  

A Super Bowl is a Super Bowl.  Let the Glazers win it this year.