Am I the only one thinking that...

Viermoo

Just now, jetstream23 said:

Meaning the Jets will end up with the 1st or 2nd pick in the Draft next year?  I don't see it happening.  The team was worse last year and showed signs of growth once their QB returned from illness and they rallied around an understanding of the new systems Gase and Gregg Williams were implementing.  I can't see anyway they Draft in the Top 5 next year.

Thank you

And if it so happens that we end up with the 1st or 2nd pick in the draft I could see JD swinging a monster trade for even more picks. How's 3 firsts the next two years sound? lol 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

Honestly, I hate admitting it, but I actually do think we will be a bottom 3 team this year.

I don't think it's by accident either.  I'm pretty much convinced that Douglas is setting himself up nicely for who comes next, in terms of Head Coach and QB.  

For the record, this isn't "inside whispers" or anything.  It's just my own feeling.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

4 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

Thank you

And if it so happens that we end up with the 1st or 2nd pick in the draft I could see JD swinging a monster trade for even more picks. How's 3 firsts the next two years sound? lol 

If we end up with pick #1 or #2 you can take it to the bank that we will be drafting a QB.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

As we should. 

I don't disagree.

I'm just going to be heavily disappointed if it's Fields or Lance when they haven't had a single rep over the course of the year.  Gonna be really hard to even have a shred of optimism for either one of them.

14 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Meaning the Jets will end up with the 1st or 2nd pick in the Draft next year?  I don't see it happening.  The team was worse last year and showed signs of growth once their QB returned from illness and they rallied around an understanding of the new systems Gase and Gregg Williams were implementing.  I can't see anyway they Draft in the Top 5 next year.

In all honesty, I know we’re all jet fans here but looking at this team and the schedule, where do the wins come?

• Sympathy 1

7 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

If we end up with pick #1 or #2 you can take it to the bank that we will be drafting a QB.

Possible but it Depends on why. If sam looks great and throws for 4200 yds but the D gives up 40 pts a game or something then there QB isn't necessary. 

Or maybe every single WR goes down in training camp... wait... forget that. That's impossible ;-) 

14 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

Possible but it Depends on why. If sam looks great and throws for 4200 yds but the D gives up 40 pts a game or something then there QB isn't necessary. 

Or maybe every single WR goes down in training camp... wait... forget that. That's impossible ;-) 

I'd love to get that level of production out of Sam, winning season or not, but I just see the likelihood of this being the way it goes down as slim to none.

14 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

By 2025 Joe Douglas has engineered trades so that the Jets literally have EVERY pick in the 1st Round.

Flips them into every first & second round pick in the following 3 years. The rest of the teams in the league are eventually forced to assemble rosters consisting of mostly UDFA's. The Jets kicker misses a 31 yard FG as time expires week 17 to finish 9-7, just missing out on a wild card spot.

• Haha 1

There were two different New York Jets teams last year.

A team that started 1-7, were led by guys like Luke Falk and Ryan Kalil at times, and who were simply trying to field a healthy 22 players....

And then a team that finished 6-2, was getting consistent play from its QB and had players finally understanding the scheme.

They may not have taken any kind of leap forward this year but there have been several positive incremental steps.  Losing the two best talents on the Defense (Mosley and Adams) doesn't help, nor does an unfortunate rash of injuries to WRs at a time when the team should be forming some chemistry.  But again, I don't think the Jets will be worse than last year.  It's a tougher schedule so I don't think they pass 7 wins again, but this is a better team.

If Perriman, Mims, Vyncint Smith, Tarrell Basham, Jabari Zuniga, etc. were practicing everyday and heading towards Week 1 I don't even think this would be a thread.

• Upvote 3

I thought the Jets had a bottom 3 roster in the league last year. They managed to parlay that into a 7-9 record and the 11th pick in the draft.

The roster is still pretty gross. I think it's improved and not quite bottom three, maybe bottom five. I think with a few exceptions the roster is basically full of guys who are just above replacement level. So the team isn't good enough to consistently perform but I think when an opponent sleepwalks through a game, as will inevitably happen as teams overlook a weak roster, the Jets will come out and play hard and win more games than they should.

I do expect depth to be improved this year and we might actually see some younger guys emerge over the course of the season which historically hasn't happened.

What has always interested me is you can't have a bottom 3 roster and bottom 3 coaching and end up well outside the bottom 3. So there's a disconnect there. Either we discount the players too much or the coaches.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, heymangold said:

In all honesty, I know we’re all jet fans here but looking at this team and the schedule, where do the wins come?

Just mentioned that in my last post.  Tougher schedule and hard to see them getting 7 or more wins, but I think the team is better.  They're not winning fewer than 5 games IMO.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Maxman said:

The Jets will beat the Bills in week one.

The Jets will win the division this year.

Defense is going to be legit.

They won't miss Adams at all.

Offensive line much improved.

Tight ends above average.

Sam Darnold plays at a pro bowl level.

Le'Veon Bell shows flashes of his former self.

SAR hacked Maxman's account!!

• Haha 2

23 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

I don't disagree.

I'm just going to be heavily disappointed if it's Fields or Lance when they haven't had a single rep over the course of the year.  Gonna be really hard to even have a shred of optimism for either one of them.

Don’t matter who we pick. He won’t stand a chance here. Hate to ruin that pretty kid from Clemson. 

14 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

I'd love to get that level of production out of Sam, winning season or not, but I just see the likelihood of this being the way it goes down as slim to none.

I hear ya but Sam is fine.  A good young QB with oodles of talent and high character.  It's all about giving him some time. Both in the pocket and to develop some rapport with a few receivers. TE, RB, WR whatever. He needs some time in this dept just as anyone would. I think jumping ship this early in his career to draft another Qb early would be a misuse of acquired resources. 

If sam plays all 16 he's throwing for 4000 yds this year.  :) 

• Sympathy 1

23 minutes ago, Maxman said:

The Jets will beat the Bills in week one.

The Jets will win the division this year.

Defense is going to be legit.

They won't miss Adams at all.

Offensive line much improved.

Tight ends above average.

Sam Darnold plays at a pro bowl level.

Le'Veon Bell shows flashes of his former self.

BOOM!!!

Wisdom from our fearless leader!  I don't disagree with one of these statements. :) 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

45 minutes ago, Viermoo said:

we are going to to be either the worst or second worst team in the league this year? If that happens, do you think it will be because of Darnold or Gase?

Not in the least bit. I think we will contend for the division late into the season and actually win  it.  We were not bad last year and we are much improved. How does that equate to worst in the league when we were much better than that last year. It is just a complete overreaction to the negativity being reported from training camp.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1