Am I the only one thinking that...

Viermoo

1 hour ago, Mogglez said:

If we end up with pick #1 or #2 you can take it to the bank that we will be drafting a QB.

Unless Darnold falls on his face we're not picking 1 or 2 and certainly not taking a QB

I keep telling you that, listen son

• Haha 1

I really think we need to stop viewing this season as a success or failure through the lens of wins and losses. My only ask is that the majority of games are competitive. If they finish 4-12 because they lost a bunch of close games so be it. As a former season ticket holder the last few years I’ve seen way too many no-shows. 

Keep in mind if the Jets go into KC and get their doors blown off because they just aren’t good enough im fine with that. It’s the games @ Denver in 2017, vs Buffalo in 2018, and @ Cincy last year that I have no tolerance for. 

• Sympathy 1

8 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Unless Darnold falls on his face we're not picking 1 or 2 and certainly not taking a QB

I keep telling you that, listen son

@ Bills - Loss

vs SF - Loss

@ Indi - Loss

Vs Denver - Loss

vs Arizona - Loss

@ Chargers - Win

vs Bills - Loss

@ KC - Hahaha

*****FULL DISCLAIMER: I believe the season ends, or is suspended, here*****

vs NE - Loss

@ Mia - Win

vs Mia -Win

vs Raiders - Win

@ Seattle - Loss

@ Rams - Loss

vs Browns - Loss

@ NE - Loss

Final prediction: 4-12 (if there is actually a full season)

I mean, this is how I see it shaking out and I could easily see us dropping a game like the Chargers, putting us at 3-13.  I could also easily see 3-13 or 4-12 nabbing #1 overall.  At the end of the day, Sam's play will determine the record...and I just don't think he has enough around him.  Pair that with the fact that the team has to make a crucial decision on him next year with his option, and I think that there is at least a sliver of a chance at #1 or #2.

I want to be wrong, you of all people know that.  I just can't shake this gut feeling that Sam won't be able to overcome the massive deficiencies on this roster.  For what it's worth, Trevor is the only QB I'm dumping Sam for.  No one else.  I don't care what happens, if you can't get Lawrence, keep Sam and try one more time.

• Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, Maxman said:

The Jets will beat the Bills in week one.

The Jets will win the division this year.

Defense is going to be legit.

They won't miss Adams at all.

Offensive line much improved.

Tight ends above average.

Sam Darnold plays at a pro bowl level.

Le'Veon Bell shows flashes of his former self.

image.gif.4eb6d1f5b07af90d2e406c0113806e68.gif

I was the most self deluded Jets fan alive in the crappiest of Jets times, those Johnny Mitchell, Rob Moore, Everett McIver years.

Not a particularly fast learner, I've adjusted my grasp of reality somewhat. The Vegas odds makers really do know a thing or two about football. What I've learned is that Jets fans are super loyal with their GM's until they're fired ...then ex-JETs GMs are vilified by fans as the ruination of the team. 

Joe Douglas has tinkered with the Oline, has dabbled with the wide receiver core and got rid of our most annoyingly loud if talented player. Right now Joe is God almighty around here, we're reminded that it takes time to build a championship team, Rome wasn't built in a day, yada, yada ,yada.

All I see is that the Emperor has no clothes except for sporting a Baltimore raven banana hammock.

Defending the pass for the Jets, the cornerback position, has not been addressed except for a rag tag band of re-thread also-rans . On the other side of the ball we have a mirror group of wishful thinking, get a look at those wide receivers catching passes. I'm not expecting all pros but this is one sad sack group.

I get it, it takes time, I really do want to see us build through the draft not blow it in free agency, but come-on. 

Robbie Anderson is the  horses's ass of all horses's asses but he should have been resigned.

Drafting a back up QB in the fourth round, I get it but it wasn't the year for such indulgence. 

We should have been swinging for the fences again with a WR or a CB.

We're full of excuses last year for why the team sucked and we beat our collective chest at how the team finished up on a nice little winning streak all over a very soft, very squishy, end of year schedule. How proud we are for finishing up with that victory over the Buffalo Bills back ups.

No we're not smart enough to be the worst team in the league, we are stuck in well-below average land.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, Maxman said:

Are we allowed to pick any 4 of those 8?  :) This calls for a poll.  

1 hour ago, Viermoo said:

we are going to to be either the worst or second worst team in the league this year? If that happens, do you think it will be because of Darnold or Gase?

All of this because of media coverage of one bad scrimmage, unbelievable.

Man up.

SAR I

1 hour ago, GREENBEAN said:

I see none of that. All I see is a bunch of over reacting to training camp. That's about it. 

Remember Cleveland was going straight to the playoffs and potentially SB last year?  Then they picked ahead of us in the draft. Everyone is hurting right now. When Mims and Perriman come back it's all gonna be lovey doves. 

10-6- playoffs with a wildcard win.  Take that to the bank. 

that reminds me, the 2nd part o my bet with jets80 was that cleve would win a playoff game this year....i bet against thsis.

the browns love here in 2018 was crazy.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Maxman said:

Is that Northern Lights Canibus you’re smoking?

• Sympathy 1

36 minutes ago, Gangrene said:

I was the most self deluded Jets fan alive in the crappiest of Jets times, those Johnny Mitchell, Rob Moore, Everett McIver years.

Not a particularly fast learner, I've adjusted my grasp of reality somewhat. The Vegas odds makers really do know a thing or two about football. What I've learned is that Jets fans are super loyal with their GM's until they're fired ...then ex-JETs GMs are vilified by fans as the ruination of the team. 

Joe Douglas has tinkered with the Oline, has dabbled with the wide receiver core and got rid of our most annoyingly loud if talented player. Right now Joe is God almighty around here, we're reminded that it takes time to build a championship team, Rome wasn't built in a day, yada, yada ,yada.

All I see is that the Emperor has no clothes except for sporting a Baltimore raven banana hammock.

Defending the pass for the Jets, the cornerback position, has not been addressed except for a rag tag band of re-thread also-rans . On the other side of the ball we have a mirror group of wishful thinking, get a look at those wide receivers catching passes. I'm not expecting all pros but this is one sad sack group.

I get it, it takes time, I really do want to see us build through the draft not blow it in free agency, but come-on. 

Robbie Anderson is the  horses's ass of all horses's asses but he should have been resigned.

Drafting a back up QB in the fourth round, I get it but it wasn't the year for such indulgence. 

We should have been swinging for the fences again with a WR or a CB.

We're full of excuses last year for why the team sucked and we beat our collective chest at how the team finished up on a nice little winning streak all over a very soft, very squishy, end of year schedule. How proud we are for finishing up with that victory over the Buffalo Bills back ups.

No we're not smart enough to be the worst team in the league, we are stuck in well-below average land.

? ? ? 

2 hours ago, Mogglez said:

Honestly, I hate admitting it, but I actually do think we will be a bottom 3 team this year.

I don't think it's by accident either.  I'm pretty much convinced that Douglas is setting himself up nicely for who comes next, in terms of Head Coach and QB.  

For the record, this isn't "inside whispers" or anything.  It's just my own feeling.

Why do you think that? The one year deals or lack of WRs? 
I think he built up the slop he was dealt with as much as he could in one off season without throwing away draft picks in trades. And banking on the draft to build through that.

It does feel like he’s doing what you said but this rosters so poor, it’d be stupid to go “all in” at this point. 

24 minutes ago, Samtorobby47 said:

Why do you think that? The one year deals or lack of WRs? 
I think he built up the slop he was dealt with as much as he could in one off season without throwing away draft picks in trades. And banking on the draft to build through that.

It does feel like he’s doing what you said but this rosters so poor, it’d be stupid to go “all in” at this point. 

Overall, I just think that there's a drastic difference between going all in, and basically setting up a young QB for failure.  Perriman was the only WR he chased in FA.  Why not add Paul Richardson?  Why not DeMarcus Robinson?  Why not keep Robby AND sign Breshad, especially after finding out that Robby was getting nothing better than a 2 year offer for fair market value.  Match it or do better (I didn't even friggin' like Robby as much as others lol).  Why not draft 2 wide receivers in this absolutely loaded class?  You can never do a young QB "too many" favors.

Other than Fant, I like what he did with the OL, however, it doesn't matter how much time Sam has if no one can get open or get separation from the opposing DBs.  There was just no sense of urgency to fix a problem that has been a thorn in our side since 2015.  Having Sam on a rookie deal isn't going mean anything if the team around him isn't ready until he's due for another contract.  

Lastly.  The political aspect of it all.  Douglas didn't pick Sam.  No one, other than Douglas himself, truly knows if he even likes him as a talent.  The more I watch this rebuild unfold, the more I get the feeling that he is trying to have a Drew Brees/Phillip Rivers, Alex Smith/Colin Kaepernick, Aaron Rodgers/Jordan Love, etc. situation.  It just feels like he wants "his guy".

8 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Overall, I just think that there's a drastic difference between going all in, and basically setting up a young QB for failure.  Perriman was the only WR he chased in FA.  Why not add Paul Richardson?  Why not DeMarcus Robinson?  Why not keep Robby AND sign Breshad, especially after finding out that Robby was getting nothing better than a 2 year offer for fair market value.  Match it or do better (I didn't even friggin' like Robby as much as others lol).  Why not draft 2 wide receivers in this absolutely loaded class?  You can never do a young QB "too many" favors.

Other than Fant, I like what he did with the OL, however, it doesn't matter how much time Sam has if no one can get open or get separation from the opposing DBs.  There was just no sense of urgency to fix a problem that has been a thorn in our side since 2015.  Having Sam on a rookie deal isn't going mean anything if the team around him isn't ready until he's due for another contract.  

Lastly.  The political aspect of it all.  Douglas didn't pick Sam.  No one, other than Douglas himself, truly knows if he even likes him as a talent.  The more I watch this rebuild unfold, the more I get the feeling that he is trying to have a Drew Brees/Phillip Rivers, Alex Smith/Colin Kaepernick, Aaron Rodgers/Jordan Love, etc. situation.  It just feels like he wants "his guy".

You’ve been reading too many training camp tweets. Can we give Mims and Perriman a chance before proclaiming that Douglas set Darnold up for failure? He did invest a ton in the oline this offseason presumably to help Darnold out, and it’s not like the combo of Robby Anderson and DeMaryius Thomas/Vyncint Smith was some elite unit a year ago.

2 hours ago, Maxman said:

Yes to the above except the last one.  Perine turns out to be the steal of the draft.

SAR I

44 minutes ago, GreekJet said:

You’ve been reading too many training camp tweets. Can we give Mims and Perriman a chance before proclaiming that Douglas set Darnold up for failure? He did invest a ton in the oline this offseason presumably to help Darnold out, and it’s not like the combo of Robby Anderson and DeMaryius Thomas/Vyncint Smith was some elite unit a year ago.

Mims is hurt, with 11 days to get healthy and up to speed.  Nevermind that rookie wide receivers tend to struggle with transitioning to the pros in their first year.  Oh, and his type of injury tends to linger all year long.  I love the kid, but my expectations for him this year were thrown out the window when they announced the hammy injury.

Perriman, who I liked as a signing, is currently injured as well, with knee he has torn in the past flaring and swelling up without any contact.  His biggest struggle since coming into the league is staying healthy.  I'm not holding my breath.  This is the guy Darnold is supposed to consider "WR1".

This is what Douglas decided was "enough" for Darnold, going into an incredibly pivotal year for him.

Either Joe is setting Sam up for failure, or he made a very serious lapse in judgement.  I'm just calling it out for what I feel it is.

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Losmeister said:

that reminds me, the 2nd part o my bet with jets80 was that cleve would win a playoff game this year....i bet against thsis.

the browns love here in 2018 was crazy.

haha  Good luck.  I'm rooting for ya. I hate the Browns more than every team outside of the AFC East.  I'm rooting for complete implosion on Baker's shoulders. 

I actually got worried they would climb out of the cellar with Dorsey at the helm. Then they fired him like dolts.  His real mistake was letting G Williams go and hiring Kitchens. He should have been given the chance to continue building what he started. The talent he brought in was legit. 

F the Browns!  :) 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, johnnysd said:

Not in the least bit. I think we will contend for the division late into the season and actually win  it.  We were not bad last year and we are much improved. How does that equate to worst in the league when we were much better than that last year. It is just a complete overreaction to the negativity being reported from training camp.

People keep saying the tougher schedule but in this pandemic season whose to say who is really that good.

4 hours ago, derp said:

What has always interested me is you can't have a bottom 3 roster and bottom 3 coaching and end up well outside the bottom 3. So there's a disconnect there. Either we discount the players too much or the coaches.

Picking 11th isn't THAT far from picking 3rd.  (Granted, we were a few coin flips away from picking 16th, but my point stands.)

We played against the league's easiest schedule last season, and Gregg Williams did a great job getting the most of what little talent he had on D.  Meanwhile, the team as a whole didn't quit on Gase, and Darnold did OK with what he had and showed resilience.

That's about all you can say for why we barely avoided picking outside of the top 10. 

This year will be a different story, given that the schedule should be in the top half in difficulty, including 3 west coast trips.

39 minutes ago, UnknownJetFan said:

People keep saying the tougher schedule but in this pandemic season whose to say who is really that good.

1) Look at the QB's on the schedule vs the ones we faced last season.

2) West coast trips are never, ever easy (we have 3, as opposed to zero last season).

We KNOW the schedule was the easiest in the league last season.  Even an average/slightly below average SOS will be significantly more difficult by comparison.

6 hours ago, Viermoo said:

we are going to to be either the worst or second worst team in the league this year? If that happens, do you think it will be because of Darnold or Gase?

We will not be a good team, but we won't be among the two worst teams in the league. Probably 5-11, 4-12 and the blame will be BOTH Gase and Darnold, and DOUGLAS. Joe traded away the best player on the team. He obviously did not want to win in 2020.

The pandemic is even more of a reason I think this team is going to be brutal.  Gase isn’t a good coach and I don’t have any faith that he is actually going to have this team ready.  4 out of 5 new starters on the OL calls for a natural meshing period, none of which is done in a real game scenario.  New WRs (or lack there of) and rookies don’t have time or real game experience to acclimate to the NFL. Same goes with the new starters on the defense.  The opt out of our best defensive player and the trade of our 2nd best player leaves holes for new guys to step up.  Too many question marks to honestly believe this team is a 9-7, 10-6 type.

• Sympathy 1

The one thing you can hang your hat on is the league is very mediocre coupled with a lack of preparation bad football may well be winning football.  

Yes the jets suck.   It’s still a competition and this year the NFL suck factor could be a fantastic opportunity.  You only have to suck less to win.  

8 hours ago, Maxman said:

SAR? Is that you?

8 hours ago, Maxman said:

Please let this happen. This fan base deserves it. A glimpse of hope.