vs NE - Loss

@ Mia - Win

vs Mia -Win

vs Raiders - Win

@ Seattle - Loss

@ Rams - Loss

vs Browns - Loss

@ NE - Loss

Final prediction: 4-12 (if there is actually a full season)

I mean, this is how I see it shaking out and I could easily see us dropping a game like the Chargers, putting us at 3-13.  I could also easily see 3-13 or 4-12 nabbing #1 overall.  At the end of the day, Sam's play will determine the record...and I just don't think he has enough around him.  Pair that with the fact that the team has to make a crucial decision on him next year with his option, and I think that there is at least a sliver of a chance at #1 or #2.

I want to be wrong, you of all people know that.  I just can't shake this gut feeling that Sam won't be able to overcome the massive deficiencies on this roster.  For what it's worth, Trevor is the only QB I'm dumping Sam for.  No one else.  I don't care what happens, if you can't get Lawrence, keep Sam and try one more time.

There is no way we are drafting another QB in a year there will be no college football.

6 hours ago, Mogglez said:

Mims is hurt, with 11 days to get healthy and up to speed.  Nevermind that rookie wide receivers tend to struggle with transitioning to the pros in their first year.  Oh, and his type of injury tends to linger all year long.  I love the kid, but my expectations for him this year were thrown out the window when they announced the hammy injury.

Perriman, who I liked as a signing, is currently injured as well, with knee he has torn in the past flaring and swelling up without any contact.  His biggest struggle since coming into the league is staying healthy.  I'm not holding my breath.  This is the guy Darnold is supposed to consider "WR1".

This is what Douglas decided was "enough" for Darnold, going into an incredibly pivotal year for him.

Either Joe is setting Sam up for failure, or he made a very serious lapse in judgement.  I'm just calling it out for what I feel it is.

It’s fine to have those expectations, but it’s too early for this thread. Who would have ever thought Bless Austin would contribute last season? OBJ had the same injury Mims does and ended up having an all-time rookie season. 

There is no indication that either Mims or Perriman won’t be active week 1. Will they be hurt all year and ineffective? No idea, but I’ll see how things play out before judging them. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Gangrene said:

I was the most self deluded Jets fan alive in the crappiest of Jets times, those Johnny Mitchell, Rob Moore, Everett McIver years.

Not a particularly fast learner, I've adjusted my grasp of reality somewhat. The Vegas odds makers really do know a thing or two about football. What I've learned is that Jets fans are super loyal with their GM's until they're fired ...then ex-JETs GMs are vilified by fans as the ruination of the team. 

Joe Douglas has tinkered with the Oline, has dabbled with the wide receiver core and got rid of our most annoyingly loud if talented player. Right now Joe is God almighty around here, we're reminded that it takes time to build a championship team, Rome wasn't built in a day, yada, yada ,yada.

All I see is that the Emperor has no clothes except for sporting a Baltimore raven banana hammock.

Defending the pass for the Jets, the cornerback position, has not been addressed except for a rag tag band of re-thread also-rans . On the other side of the ball we have a mirror group of wishful thinking, get a look at those wide receivers catching passes. I'm not expecting all pros but this is one sad sack group.

I get it, it takes time, I really do want to see us build through the draft not blow it in free agency, but come-on. 

Robbie Anderson is the  horses's ass of all horses's asses but he should have been resigned.

Drafting a back up QB in the fourth round, I get it but it wasn't the year for such indulgence. 

We should have been swinging for the fences again with a WR or a CB.

We're full of excuses last year for why the team sucked and we beat our collective chest at how the team finished up on a nice little winning streak all over a very soft, very squishy, end of year schedule. How proud we are for finishing up with that victory over the Buffalo Bills back ups.

No we're not smart enough to be the worst team in the league, we are stuck in well-below average land.

This is.a very good post and, IMHO, very accurate.

JD is loved around here but if you really look, without your green glasses on, he’s actually done very little other than tear down the team we had and sign other teams back-ups and a few JAGS.

We have no idea if he’s capable of building a roster.  At this point he’s done nothing more than Idzik after his first year (we have no idea how his draft picks will work out) 

Now, I‘m not saying JD is a bad GM, in fact I think he might be a very good one, but all I’m saying is we really don’t know what he is yet.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

Basically you were pinning this year on Darnold figuring it out coupled with immediate production from the rookies. Darnold (who's not getting any help) I still dont think is the guy...and the mid round picks we needed production from havent even practiced yet. This is a weird season to begin with, but Mims and Zuniga not even practicing is as Jetsy as it gets. The roster is brutal, there will probably be a Bell implosion at some point...and I get the odd feeling Darnold may totally implode too. Welcome to the Jets, Joe Douglas.

• Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, FidelioJet said:

This is.a very good post and, IMHO, very accurate.

JD is loved around here but if you really look, without your green glasses on, he’s actually done very little other than tear down the team we had and sign other teams back-ups and a few JAGS.

We have no idea if he’s capable of building a roster.  At this point he’s done nothing more than Idzik after his first year (we have no idea how his draft picks will work out

Now, I‘m not saying JD is a bad GM, in fact I think he might be a very good one, but all I’m saying is we really don’t know what he is yet.

You have no idea if his draft pick will work out,  don't lump the vast majority because you are unsure in your ability to evaluate talent. Unlike Idzik, JD was a scout and unlike Idzik, JD was an apprentice to one of the best GMs of the modern era.

As for doing very little, he did sign the best center in FA and drafted one of the best OL in this previous draft. Resigned Lewis and grabbed 2 OL that are better than last years RG and RT counterparts. Not that Van Roten and Fant are these incredible lineman but compared to Shell and Winters they are at least serviceable. 

All you have to do is look at Daniel Jeremiah to see what type of scout JD is. If you like how DJ evaluates talent then you will like how JD assesses talent.

• Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Basically you were pinning this year on Darnold figuring it out coupled with immediate production from the rookies. Darnold (who's not getting any help) I still dont think is the guy...and the mid round picks we needed production from havent even practiced yet. This is a weird season to begin with, but Mims and Zuniga not even practicing is as Jetsy as it gets. The roster is brutal, there will probably be a Bell implosion at some point...and I get the odd feeling Darnold may totally implode too. Welcome to the Jets, Joe Douglas.

yet another reason i think he traded adams now, b/c he got the draft haul he needed to move up to get a qb next year if he has to.  in the meantime he's drafted a left tackle and mims.  

10 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

There were two different New York Jets teams last year.

A team that started 1-7, were led by guys like Luke Falk and Ryan Kalil at times, and who were simply trying to field a healthy 22 players....

And then a team that finished 6-2, was getting consistent play from its QB and had players finally understanding the scheme.

They may not have taken any kind of leap forward this year but there have been several positive incremental steps.  Losing the two best talents on the Defense (Mosley and Adams) doesn't help, nor does an unfortunate rash of injuries to WRs at a time when the team should be forming some chemistry.  But again, I don't think the Jets will be worse than last year.  It's a tougher schedule so I don't think they pass 7 wins again, but this is a better team.

If Perriman, Mims, Vyncint Smith, Tarrell Basham, Jabari Zuniga, etc. were practicing everyday and heading towards Week 1 I don't even think this would be a thread.

if you believe that one season carries over to the next then there is every reason to believe this year's team will be a real improvement.  i tend to think this way because during the second half the team did play better once they got things sorted out.  this indicates the coaching was finally getting through and the players were executing.  if they can get out of the gate in good shape it could be a good season.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Viermoo said:

we are going to to be either the worst or second worst team in the league this year? If that happens, do you think it will be because of Darnold or Gase?

You are crazy, they are not close to being a team that bad unless there injuries last all season.  Assuming good health this is a middle of the pack team.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Viermoo said:

we are going to to be either the worst or second worst team in the league this year? If that happens, do you think it will be because of Darnold or Gase?

'Worst team' is in interesting label. But either way you slice it, the Jets are not quite there.  

Will will have the worst record? No, I don't think so. But I do think our schedule is particularly tough this year and despite an improved roster we may actually win less games than less year- depending on how things go with injuries. 

Do we have the worst roster? No. I mean, our roster is considerably improved from what we had last year. JD could have done more at WR and we still don't have an impact Edge but the O-line was completely revamped and depth was added to CB, RB, S, and QB. If the O-line holds up (and it should), there's a potential for the Jets to have one of the better young QBs in the league in Darnold. 

The only thing that will lead the Jets to being the worst team in the league is another season marred by devastating injuries. Otherwise, Cincy, Washington and NY Giants are still looking like teams that will end up with worse records this year. It seems like the Jags are this year's Dolphins trying to tank for Trevor.     

first 3 games will tell us a lot.  if we can even start out 1-2 then that would mean at least some of our ?'s (QB, OL, WR, OLB, CB) have moved forward.  If this is the case then we have a decent chance in each of the next 3 games.

sooooo

if we start out 0-3 we will finish with pick 5-7

if we start out 1-2 or better we will finish with pick 12-17

10 hours ago, Mogglez said:

@ Bills - Loss

vs SF - Loss

@ Indi - Loss

Vs Denver - Loss

vs Arizona - Loss

@ Chargers - Win

vs Bills - Loss

@ KC - Hahaha

*****FULL DISCLAIMER: I believe the season ends, or is suspended, here*****

vs NE - Loss

@ Mia - Win

vs Mia -Win

vs Raiders - Win

@ Seattle - Loss

@ Rams - Loss

vs Browns - Loss

@ NE - Loss

I mean, this is how I see it shaking out and I could easily see us dropping a game like the Chargers, putting us at 3-13.  I could also easily see 3-13 or 4-12 nabbing #1 overall.  At the end of the day, Sam's play will determine the record...and I just don't think he has enough around him.  Pair that with the fact that the team has to make a crucial decision on him next year with his option, and I think that there is at least a sliver of a chance at #1 or #2.

I want to be wrong, you of all people know that.  I just can't shake this gut feeling that Sam won't be able to overcome the massive deficiencies on this roster.  For what it's worth, Trevor is the only QB I'm dumping Sam for.  No one else.  I don't care what happens, if you can't get Lawrence, keep Sam and try one more time.

Ok. So week one is a ? with all the WR injuries. However, best case scenario Perriman, Crowder, Mims, Berrios, Moncrief, Hogan and J.Smith will all available week 2. If we assume they stay relatively healthy throughout the season, with V.Smith coming back eventually for depth- THOSE are Sam's weapons. 

No, that's not great, but you make it seem like Sam Darnold can't elevate the play of some of these WRs to win some games- with Bell, Herndon, hopefully Griffin eventually coming back, and a completely revamped O-line.  

I disagree. I DO think the Jets may end up winning less games b/c the schedule is considerably tougher this year but I don't see the Jets getting sept by the Pats. I think it's going to be tough for the Bills to sweep the Jets (they are a better team but both games will be close division, grind it out battles). Denver and Arizona at home will be very win-able games. The Browns will be a win-able game, Seattle will be a very interesting game- tough b/c its away but the Jets will be hyped for it b/c of the Jamal trade and Seattle is definitely not the Super Bowl caliber defense they used to be- they had one of the worst secondaries in the league last year believe it or not (probably why they rolled the dice on Jamal). 

While you see the Jets winning 4 games, maybe 3. I think its possible the Jets win 4 games but theres a good chance they win 8 or 9. Just depends on injuries, how well the O-line gels and whether Darnold can continue to improve. 

11 hours ago, Mogglez said:

Honestly, I hate admitting it, but I actually do think we will be a bottom 3 team this year.

I don't think it's by accident either.  I'm pretty much convinced that Douglas is setting himself up nicely for who comes next, in terms of Head Coach and QB.  

For the record, this isn't "inside whispers" or anything.  It's just my own feeling.

Oh good, for a minute there I thought you knew something the rest of us didn't know. 

Does anyone really think Douglas wants to hit the reset button again next year???  It makes no sense.  "How does three first round picks for the next two years sound?"  It sounds like we won't be competitive for at least five years!

I have written that Douglas could have and should have done more work to build the WR.  However, to suggest that the crazy number of injuries is part of his master plan to tank is just nonsense.

Snap out of it people!

11 hours ago, Mogglez said:

@ Bills - Loss

vs SF - Loss

@ Indi - Loss

Vs Denver - Loss

vs Arizona - Loss

@ Chargers - Win

vs Bills - Loss

@ KC - Hahaha

*****FULL DISCLAIMER: I believe the season ends, or is suspended, here*****

vs NE - Loss

@ Mia - Win

vs Mia -Win

vs Raiders - Win

@ Seattle - Loss

@ Rams - Loss

vs Browns - Loss

@ NE - Loss

what i find hard to agree with is

@ San Diego win

but home vs Denver, Browns, & Arizona all losses 

---

I'd put all 4 of those teams in a similar category ... but that west coast trip is usually tough for us

much more likely @ San Diego is a loss, and one of the other 3 is a win

I may be a hopelessly optimistic homer, but I really don't see us being one of the worst teams in the NFL this year.

We heard similar noises from experts last season when, despite a ridiculous amount of injuries to key players, we exceeded all their expectations with a 6-2 finish for a 7-9 record.

I don't think the team has grown significantly worse since then.  Yes, we have lost Mosley for the year, but he didn't play last year either.  We have lost Adams, but the combo of Maye, McDougald and Davis should compensate for that. We lost Anderson, Enunwa and Thomas at WR - Anderson is a good, not great, WR with a limited route tree, Enunwa didn't play, and Thomas is what he is - an experienced, but older, vet who doesn't have a great deal left in the tank.

The guys we replaced those WRs with - mainly Perriman and Mims - can replace the production of the guys we lost, if they are healthy.  Obviously, that's a big "if" at the moment, but we'll hope for the best.  The depth, with Hogan and Moncrief added to a more experienced Berrios, is arguably better than last year too.

We have better depth at TE with the return of Herndon, plus Griffin and a fast-developing Wesco.  We are 3-deep at RB with Bell, Gore and Perine and all those guys can be effective out of the backfield too.

Our O-line should be better, although it might take some time to come together with 4 new starters.

The D lost some crappy corners, and replaced them with some questionable corners.  Everything else is pretty much as it was, plus Williams will scheme to effectively make the most of what he has.

Will we be the worst team in the NFL?  No.  Will we be the best team in the NFL?  No.  We'll be somewhere in the middle - in the 7-9 to 9-7 range, with an outside shot at a playoff spot from a suddenly weak division, if we don't get jinxed by an influx of injuries again during the regular season.

14 minutes ago, mrcoops said:

I may be a hopelessly optimistic homer, but I really don't see us being one of the worst teams in the NFL this year.

We heard similar noises from experts last season when, despite a ridiculous amount of injuries to key players, we exceeded all their expectations with a 6-2 finish for a 7-9 record.

I don't think the team has grown significantly worse since then.  Yes, we have lost Mosley for the year, but he didn't play last year either.  We have lost Adams, but the combo of Maye, McDougald and Davis should compensate for that. We lost Anderson, Enunwa and Thomas at WR - Anderson is a good, not great, WR with a limited route tree, Enunwa didn't play, and Thomas is what he is - an experienced, but older, vet who doesn't have a great deal left in the tank.

They guys we replaced those WRs with - mainly Perriman and Mims - can replace the guys we lost, if they are healthy.  Obviously, that's a big "if" at the moment, but we'll hope for the best.  The depth, with Hogan and Moncrief added to a more experienced Berrios, is arguably better than last year too.

We have better depth at TE with the return of Herndon, plus Griffin and a fast-developing Wesco.  We are 3-deep at RB with Bell, Gore and Perine and all those guys can be effective out of the backfield too.

Our O-line should be better, although it might take some time to come together with 4 new starters.

The D lost some crappy corners, and replaced them with some questionable corners.  Everything else is pretty much as it was, plus Williams will scheme to effectively make the most of what he has.

Will we be the worst team in the NFL?  No.  Will we be the best team in the NFL?  No.  We'll be somewhere in the middle - in the 7-9 to 9-7 range, with an outside shot at a playoff spot from a suddenly weak division, if we don't get jinxed by an influx of injuries again during the regular season.

this is a well-written post and also hopelessly optimistic

at no point did you discuss

-the coach, who is a soon to be fired moron

-the schedule, which includes 31000 miles of travel (last year's schedule was extremely light on travel by comparison) 

-or the QB who they have to make a decision on after this season (his 5th year option is 20+ mil)

basically Sam Darnold has to play like a HOF'er (with no help at WR) for this team to be decent.

it's feasible but it's not super likely. 

14 hours ago, Viermoo said:

Am I the only one thinking that...

Sad Lisa Simpson GIF by The Simpsons

Hypothetically though. It would be for a decade of poor drafting, signings, and no long term plan up top besides trying to get paid another year.

14 hours ago, Icer said:

If we are in the Top 3 worst teams in the league, then both Darnold & Gase suck and are on the way out. I think we are more likely to be 7-9 than 4-12

If we suck its Gase's fault. Only his lack of preparations and horrible play calling can make us a sub .500 team in my opinion. That is also said to the fact we will have a top 5 D this year. All on what Gase does with what he has. 

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Mogglez said:

I don't disagree.

I'm just going to be heavily disappointed if it's Fields or Lance when they haven't had a single rep over the course of the year.  Gonna be really hard to even have a shred of optimism for either one of them.

I just hate Gase is still here.  I would like to see Darnold get a chance with a legit HC.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, mrcoops said:

They guys we replaced those WRs with - mainly Perriman and Mims - can replace the guys we lost, if they are healthy.  Obviously, that's a big "if" at the moment, but we'll hope for the best.  The depth, with Hogan and Moncrief added to a more experienced Berrios, is arguably better than last year too.

It all depends on if Gase has us up to speed, which I doubt he will. I think we are a 9-7 team if all is prepared well but I see Gase turning that into 6-10 due to lazy camps, injuries, and horrible play calling. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

this is a well-written post and also hopelessly optimistic

at no point did you discuss

-the coach, who is a soon to be fired moron

-the schedule, which includes 31000 miles of travel (last year's schedule was extremely light on travel by comparison) 

-or the QB who they have to make a decision on after this season (his 5th year option is 20+ mil)

basically Sam Darnold has to play like a HOF'er (with no help at WR) for this team to be decent.

it's feasible but it's not super likely. 

I'm not as down on Gase as many others, though he does still have a lot to prove. He did do a good job in keeping the team together last season, in difficult circumstances.

The schedule, and the travel, are legit concerns and the biggest challenge for the team this year. But the other teams In our division have equally tough schedules, which is a leveller.

I didn't feel the need to discuss QB since, as we all know, Darnold is a legit franchise QB in the making and the saviour of the franchise. Depth should be a lot better too, once Flacco is healthy and with Morgan and White impressing in camp.

So, optimistic homer me is sticking with my 9-7 prediction, injuries permitting.

9 minutes ago, mrcoops said:

I'm not as down on Gase as many others, though he does still have a lot to prove. He did do a good job in keeping the team together last season, in difficult circumstances.

The schedule, and the travel, are legit concerns and the biggest challenge for the team this year. But the other teams In our division have equally tough schedules, which is a leveller.

I didn't feel the need to discuss QB since, as we all know, Darnold is a legit franchise QB in the making and the saviour of the franchise. Depth should be a lot better too, once Flacco is healthy and with Morgan and White impressing in camp.

So, optimistic homer me is sticking with my 9-7 prediction, injuries permitting.

From your lips to God's ears. I hope you are right!

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Obrien2Toon said:

Last years roster was trash and people here were predicting playoffs.  A super soft schedule covered up just how bad we were

this years team is better and it’s all doom and gloom

I don’t get it

Last year people predicted playoffs with a healthy team.  We had the most injured team in the league and still won 7 games.

I think people are going nuts over injuries now not realizing most teams are being cautious with injuries after no real offseason.

If this team is close to healthy they will compete for a playoff spot.

• Upvote 1