Am I the only one thinking that...

Viermoo

3 minutes ago, JiF said:

Darnold went 7-6 last year behind a historically bad OL and absolutely no running game.  This team sucks but they’re probably better than a handful of teams in the win category because of Sam and Gregg Williams ability to scheme.

We had a really easy second half schedule.  Yes, Sam played really well he was actually underrated but last season is not an indicator of anything 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

I think that part is a given. Sam doesn't  suck and he is the best QB this team has had since VT. 

What should we do anyway, see if Lawrence can play behind a train wreck OL with no WR's?

I guess that’s where we differ.  I think JD has pretty much moved on from Sam.  Yes, he has this year to prove himself but this team, right now, is being built for the next QB - not for Sam.

1 hour ago, JiF said:

Darnold went 7-6 last year behind a historically bad OL and absolutely no running game.  This team sucks but they’re probably better than a handful of teams in the win category because of Sam and Gregg Williams ability to scheme.

This!

Those are the only two reasons this team gets a shot at sniffing near .500 rather than winning 3 games.

• Upvote 2

If you evaluate the Jets based on history, the doom and gloom is understandable. 

The talent last year was well below this year’s team. Problem is that the improvement is not in the skill positions. We have a complete makeover of the OL. It was the weakest unit last year. They will have some growing pains but by season’s end we will all see the improvement. And the depth is much better this year. 

Mosley opt out is meaningless. Didn’t play last year. Won’t play this year. Not really a Jet. He’s milking us for $. Trade him if you can. 

We will miss Adams on the field but not in the locker room. 

Second year in Williams complex D schemes will bring better execution. Talent at CB is better.  Q Williams in second year may take a step forward. 

All that says this is a better team. Wins?  7 or better.  Schedule is tough and OL will be a problem early. But by mid season on we will be solid. 

18 hours ago, Mogglez said:

Overall, I just think that there's a drastic difference between going all in, and basically setting up a young QB for failure.  Perriman was the only WR he chased in FA.  Why not add Paul Richardson?  Why not DeMarcus Robinson?  Why not keep Robby AND sign Breshad, especially after finding out that Robby was getting nothing better than a 2 year offer for fair market value.  Match it or do better (I didn't even friggin' like Robby as much as others lol).  Why not draft 2 wide receivers in this absolutely loaded class?  You can never do a young QB "too many" favors.

Other than Fant, I like what he did with the OL, however, it doesn't matter how much time Sam has if no one can get open or get separation from the opposing DBs.  There was just no sense of urgency to fix a problem that has been a thorn in our side since 2015.  Having Sam on a rookie deal isn't going mean anything if the team around him isn't ready until he's due for another contract.  

Lastly.  The political aspect of it all.  Douglas didn't pick Sam.  No one, other than Douglas himself, truly knows if he even likes him as a talent.  The more I watch this rebuild unfold, the more I get the feeling that he is trying to have a Drew Brees/Phillip Rivers, Alex Smith/Colin Kaepernick, Aaron Rodgers/Jordan Love, etc. situation.  It just feels like he wants "his guy".

Ehh. We’re saying this because of injuries. IMO, Perriman, Crowder and Mims would be just fine. Plus throw in the depth guys like Berrios/Smith/Cager and you’d be alright. 
Im sure he would love to give Sam big time weapons but he wasn’t gonna trade away future assets when he knows he’s gotta build through the draft and the free agent wr was nothing great.

I agree in adding another WR in the draft but are we really feeling better right now if Paul Richardson was here? 

12 minutes ago, Samtorobby47 said:

Ehh. We’re saying this because of injuries. IMO, Perriman, Crowder and Mims would be just fine. Plus throw in the depth guys like Berrios/Smith/Cager and you’d be alright. 
Im sure he would love to give Sam big time weapons but he wasn’t gonna trade away future assets when he knows he’s gotta build through the draft and the free agent wr was nothing great.

I agree in adding another WR in the draft but are we really feeling better right now if Paul Richardson was here? 

Perriman and Crowder have a history of injuries. Mims is coming out of the Big 12 and probably never really had to learn a playbook, plus he’s way behind already. Herndon can’t be trusted until he proves he can be. Griffin was hurt last year and says it’s carried over. The rest are back end roster guys Berrios I think works out and he plays specials, but the rest are a toss up. It’s pretty insane how the Jets are here again.

1 hour ago, More Cowbell said:

You really need to move past us not selecting Mahomes. 

I like Sam.  A lot.

Happy with him, just from what I’ve seen of JD I don’t think he does.  I think if JD decided to put a competitive roster around Sam we could have been a playoff caliber team.  But that’s not what happened.

I just don’t think you go full-on tear down if had true faith in your QB.

1 hour ago, Matt39 said:

Perriman and Crowder have a history of injuries. Mims is coming out of the Big 12 and probably never really had to learn a playbook, plus he’s way behind already. Herndon can’t be trusted until he proves he can be. Griffin was hurt last year and says it’s carried over. The rest are back end roster guys Berrios I think works out and he plays specials, but the rest are a toss up. It’s pretty insane how the Jets are here again.

Doesn’t mean there was better options in free agency. Paul Richardson has a injury history as well. 
Like I said, sure another WR in the draft would’ve been great. But aside from that I don’t think there’s much he could have done. 

11 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

I like Sam.  A lot.

Happy with him, just from what I’ve seen of JD I don’t think he does.  I think if JD decided to put a competitive roster around Sam we could have been a playoff caliber team.  But that’s not what happened.

I just don’t think you go full-on tear down if had true faith in your QB.

What tear down? He built up the OL. That was job one. It at least now resembles a pro OL. He got Sam a tall and fast WR in Mims. He got rid of Anderson who IMO only had the stats he did because he was the only player Sam looked for as far as big plays but the only thing he was good at was a post or running out of bounds on drags and slants. Unfortunately  we had to move Jamal but he got a boat load of picks for him. That is going to be used to build the team. I don't  see is getting rid of players that helped Sam. He is building the O up. 

That said the team is still very low on talent but this was JD first attempt  at seriously addressing the issues here. I think Samis in a much better situation now than he was last season at this time, mono withstanding.  

• Sympathy 1

14 hours ago, Philc1 said:

We had a really easy second half schedule.  Yes, Sam played really well he was actually underrated but last season is not an indicator of anything 

Disagree.  IMO it indicated a few things; Sams has balls, Gase didnt lose the team and Gregg Williams can scheme like a mofo.  Those are pretty crucial indicators IMO. 

- Sam has balls.  I've said it before but after the beating he took vs. Miami and then the bad snap that he didnt even try to pick up in the endzone and then he started yelling at the OL, I thought he was broken.  Legit, gave up all hope and then he bounced back and took the team on a 6-2 run playing really good ball with a few game winning drives sprinkled in there.  That stuff is crucial for confidence and development, people love to make fun of the saying but you have to learn how to win in the NFL.  6-2 finish, 7-6 record, that's learning to win.  Sure the opponents sucked but guess what, so did the Jets. I'd argue a lot of those teams that people dismiss for beating were more talented than the Jets.

-  The team in fact, doesnt hate Adam Gase.  He kept it together for a respectable finish.  

- Gregg Williams can scheme like a mofo.

IMO - these all indicate that while this roster is dog sh*t, they're not going to be picking top 5.  I would imagine most of the teams the picked before the Jets will still pick before the Jets maybe Zona makes a jump, maybe Cleveland but I'll believe it when I see it.

• Upvote 1