Is this the final audition for both Adam Gase and Sam Darnold?

Maxman

If the season doesn't go well and JD can find an interested replacement then Gase is probably gone. It doesn't seem like JD has any real connection to Gase or Gase's system. Tannehill's performance away from Gase should have JD's eyes open to other candidates. 

Darnold I can't see leaving unless he has a truly awful season. He's 23 with one year on the contract after this. Makes a lot more sense to have him play the last year and give it his all to see if he has what it takes. Next year's draft will say it all about his future with the team.

IMHO, Gase has already proven to be a dud.  He impressed CJ with his interview, but has done nothing to impress with his performance.  He is still riding the diminished tide from Peyron Manning's 2013 season and that wave is about to die on the beach. 

Many players that were connected to Gase magically improve when they got out from under his charge.

Darnold has shown flashes, but needs to show consistency.  Sadly, until he is divorced from Gase, I don't see him improving. 

We need JD to do his job where Gase is concerned.

If the offense is still at the bottom in total production by the end of week 6, JD has to make a move mid-season or risk digging Darnold's professional grave. 

1 hour ago, kdels62 said:

Yes. Why wouldn’t it be? 

Darnold apologists will have you believe that Darnold is in no position to succeed but the truth, if he flounders there is no reason to believe. His statistics are pedestrian, his skill set is inconsistent. If he can put it together that’s great if not then you have to move on after this season. The OL will be improved and at full strength his receivers have the ability to get open short or catch 50/50 balls.  Personally, I think he’ll have a good season regardless of his weapons but he needs result this year. 

Good performances even if we lose are important. Putting up points even in losing efforts matter, it’s not a Win/Loss thing it’s a performance thing.

Name another QB that had just as poor a starting cast that succeeded.

22 minutes ago, Greenbloodblitz said:

This is the best front office situation I've seen in 20 years. Our head coach is a lunatic and fits perfect and our quarterback literally symbolizes the redheaded stepchild that the New York Jets actually are. I'm not changing a goddamn thing and I have their back 100% so fight me!

This.

I always wondered what JN would look like on the day that our front office and coaching staff came together and we finally found our franchise quarterback.

Apparently it's just more-of-same.  A legion of Eeyore's whining about how bad it's going to be.  These Mets fans sicken me.

SAR I

1 hour ago, Mogglez said:

No one, and I mean no one, is going to play well throwing to Jehu Chesson, George Campbell, Donte Moncrief, and I genuinely can't think of the 4th WR.  Sorry.  It's not excuses.  He's being mishandled on an Andrew Luck level, maybe even worse.

He hasn't even played a single game yet this season. I'm referring to his previous sh*tty play.

3 hours ago, PCP63 said:

He hasn't even played a single game yet this season. I'm referring to his previous sh*tty play.

Yeah.  Because the corpse of Demaryious Thomas, 145 lb Robby Anderson, who didn't give a sh*t half of the time he ran routes, Crowder, and an offensive line constructed from nothing more than sh*t, is definitely a good situation for a young QB.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

• Re Gase, I don't see the Johnsons getting rid of him while they are still paying Mac and Bowles.  I think the magic will work in the backchannels.  If Gase does a bad job coaching (not necessarily lose games) and some viable replacement coach makes it known he would take the job, with the draft picks and maybe Darnold, maybe then Gase gets fired.  I don't see Gase getting fired to hire someone else just as bad.  Needs to be a gamechanging change in my view.  That will only happen if a coach sees a good roster to work with.
  • Re Darnold, I think he gets at least two more years.  I don't see the Johnsons giving up that QB contract and the three 2nd round picks they traded for him.  If the Jets are in a position to draft a potential star QB, I think they pick that QB and four more years of cheap contract and trade Darnold.  We are not letting Darnold go to replace him with a Veteran.  
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Icer said:

If we are in the position to draft Trevor, then Darnold has regressed severely and isn't the guy we hope he is. This is a non issue unless the bottom falls out this season

Exactly.  The thing will speak for itself.  If Darnold plays well, no issue.  If he sucks  or has to miss significant time yet again, then all bets are off. 

2 hours ago, Mogglez said:

No one, and I mean no one, is going to play well throwing to Jehu Chesson, George Campbell, Donte Moncrief, and I genuinely can't think of the 4th WR.  Sorry.  It's not excuses.  He's being mishandled on an Andrew Luck level, maybe even worse.

I have to agree here.  Moncrief is not an acceptable answer to these injuries.  

Hey Jets:  you want to test out Darnold for good this season????  JD?

Then give him a goddam solid WR to throw to!  Otherwise we can call it JD HUGE mistake #1.  

There are deals to be made out there.  Start with Pittsburgh....  JD

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

Why, so we can see if Lawrence can play behind a piece of garbage OL and overcome bad HC's?

not to mention a team without anything remotely close to a star WR for the longest time.  Pretty much have to look to the last century to see one on the jets.

22 minutes ago, Dcat said:

I have to agree here.  Moncrief is not an acceptable answer to these injuries.  

Hey Jets:  you want to test out Darnold for good this season????  JD?

Then give him a goddam solid WR to throw to!  Otherwise we can call it JD HUGE mistake #1.  

There are deals to be made out there.  Start with Pittsburgh....  JD

is THIS the season to do that tho? (COVID season w/o PS or much training camp and all these injuries whcih are lilely gonna go thru the roof once people actually hit one another??)

Mims WILL be back. Breshad?? ...and theres still time B4 deadline if we see the OL and the rest of personnel survive and are performing well enough that we expend capital NOW? 

I dont really disagree w/ you STRONGLY....  

13 minutes ago, Dcat said:

not to mention a team without anything remotely close to a star WR for the longest time.  Pretty much have to look to the last century to see one on the jets.

even Key/Wayne we more a combo a substar, but very good WRs..

was Wes Walker a star? I dunno. to US HE WAS, cos he WAS OURS! 

wonder what his catch rate over the years was...     and make no mistale i loved me some oney eyed Wes!!!

4 hours ago, Maxman said:

All due respect Greenbean, I think this is silly. I agree with you about Gase. However, there's no way the Jets would cut Darnold after only 3 seasons. The worst case scenario I can see with Sammy is if he threw 25 interceptions this season, they would bring back Sammy and he would compete with others for the starting job.

• Upvote 1

Darnold is like Jeff George. Great arm, horrible attitude, kind of a belligerent psycho.  Oh, wait, that was that Rosen guy who wound up in Miami. You know, sometimes I have this vague feeling that I can't explain that there are some out there who honestly think that ANYONE else under center would've done better with that pile of sh*t around them the last two years on both sides of the ball.

That, and the chest thumpers who can't wait to crown themselves Nostradamus - who's a fraud and fake and was horribly WRONG half the time - about what a bum Sam turned out to be.  Yeah, well, give the people what they want and trade him in two years. That means he turns into Roger Staubach somewhere else and wins four rings, bank it. 

I am so willing to be patient with Sam Darnold, That being said, it has to be SO evident that he's 1) stupid 2) stupid and 3) all is lost about his improving to the next level because he's just stupid to ever justify the Jets kicking him in his ass.  As to Gase, getting rid of him impulsively doesn't solve the problem unless the coaching pool is looking better than decent when we get there. That's really all there is to that part of it.  I mean, hiring Gase in the first place, that had NOTHING to do with the quality and quantity of viable candidates at the time? Nothing at all?  Bowles had to go, I'm not arguing that; but keep it in sight that THERE WAS SO MUCH AWESOMENESS TO CHOOSE FROM.

If we are in position to draft Trevor, then that means Darnold did not improve. If we’re picking top 10 and we still don’t know if Darnold is the guy, then go get Trevor.

With that said, I hope and believe Darnold will light it up this year. Putting another young QB in this situation would be tough. I’d much prefer to keep building around Darnold. If he’s not our guy, then we have 2 1st in 2022 to get our guy. 

3 hours ago, Mogglez said:

Yeah.  Because the corpse of Demaryious Thomas, 145 lb Robby Anderson, who didn't give a sh*t half of the time he ran routes, Crowder, and an offensive line constructed from nothing more than sh*t, is definitely a good situation for a young QB.

Not saying it's a good position. But Brady, Rodgers, Brees, Mahomes, Watson, etc. wouldn't be bottom 5 QBs with those weapons.

28 minutes ago, PCP63 said:

Not saying it's a good position. But Brady, Rodgers, Brees, Mahomes, Watson, etc. wouldn't be bottom 5 QBs with those weapons.

Hard to say.  Most of them ever had to worry about having enough talent in their pivotal developmental years.  Two of them have never had to worry about talent since the day they first stepped on the field.

Brees?  You might wanna revisit how he started his career.

Mahomes and Watson aren't Mahomes and Watson with the weapons, o-lines and coaching Sam has had to deal with.  Period.  Mahomes, in particular, would probably have been a disaster given how raw he was coming out of TT.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, PCP63 said:

The Chargers were disappointed in the young Brees, that's why they drafted Rivers.  They let Brees start Rivers' first 2 seasons and he finally played well, but when he hurt his arm near the end of the season they decided to go ahead with Rivers.  Brees is not a good example to prove your point about how a good QB can get it done with anybody.

• Post of the Week 2

34 minutes ago, kelticwizard said:

The Chargers were disappointed in the young Brees, that's why they drafted Rivers.  They let Brees start Rivers' first 2 seasons and he finally played well, but when he hurt his arm near the end of the season they decided to go ahead with Rivers.  Brees is not a good example to prove your point about how a good QB can get it done with anybody.

Brees is more the exception to the rule. He was also only a 2nd round pick so the organization didn’t have much invested in him.

Darnold is going to get every opportunity

I don’t believe that either have anything to worry about this year.  Gase will be given at least a third year unless everything implodes.  He may be forced to bring in a new offensive coordinator and that wouldn’t be a bad thing.

Darnold has shown enough potential that he will be given two more years to move from potential to quality starter or they will bring in competition for year 5. Right now he has a little Fitz in him, a few great games with some wtf moments sprinkled in.

5 hours ago, Greenbloodblitz said:

This is the best front office situation I've seen in 20 years. Our head coach is a lunatic and fits perfect and our quarterback literally symbolizes the redheaded stepchild that the New York Jets actually are. I'm not changing a goddamn thing and I have their back 100% so fight me!

I like the GM a lot he shows a lot of promise.

I like the QB a lot I still think he is a franchise QB.

As you know I do not like the head coach at all.  I have no issue with him being a lunatic or how he handles the players or the press.  For an offensive coach he has simply garnered no tangible offensive results in 4 years as a head coach.  Last year the offense looked bad, unimaginative and bad, worse than those hallmark OC's we had named Bate and Morton.  They need to dump Gase now before we waste years and a career of a QB.  (No worries for his supporters as he will be here at least 2 more years no matter what but this is wasted time.)

28 minutes ago, GreekJet said:

Brees is more the exception to the rule. He was also only a 2nd round pick so the organization didn’t have much invested in him.

Darnold is going to get every opportunity

On the flip side, Brees played in a far different era, especially when you factor in the financials.  We've seen more and more young QBs get tossed aside if they don't produce right away, regardless of the circumstances because of the whole rookie contract window.  Rosen was a first round pick tossed aside after one year because of the same reasons I'm saying that it's feasible Sam gets ditched.  If Douglas and his next coach want "their guy", he's going to do it, just like Kliff Kingsbury.  Neither will be tied to Sam in any way possible.  Do you really think that you're going to attract top tier coaches by telling them they are tied to a kid who may be nothing more than a broken toy?  No.  If you're Douglas, you tell him we have two first rounders (one may be 1st-3rd overall), an abundance of cap space, and the freedom to help truly mold the roster, with no restrictions.

Sadly, when Maccagnan was fired, the possibilty of moving on from Sam sooner rather than later became far more tangible.  I believe that this is a mistake, but in Douglas we trust, I guess.

• Upvote 1

Gase, yes. Darnold, no.

I believe Darnold is one of the primary reasons Joe Douglas took the Jets GM job, and he thinks much higher of him than a good portion of the fan base. It doesn't take a genius to recognize the horrible set of circumstances Darnold has been put under, and he has been able to hold his own.

Darnold is going to play out his rookie contract at the very least.

Only Jets fans would want to take a very raw, unprecedentedly young quarterback, put him behind the worst offensive line and skill position players in the league, and run him out of town after thee years when he doesn't light the world on fire.

A little patience goes a long way. Context and perspective matter. It's a process. Darnold is not the reason the Jets are losing football games. He's the primary reason they have been semi-competitive.

• Upvote 1

i think it is time to move on from Darnold even before this season. I mean he is a very young QB, but how he hasn't won a super bowl after his second year (or third year) playing on a team with a laughable OL last year and a team without a lot of talent, is beyond me.

I realize that even after missing a bunch of games to illness, Darnold improved on all of his stats including rating, completion %, yards and TDs and TD/INT ratio, but really if he can't win the big game in this weird season he never will. Plus, he has had the benefit of two different coaches and systems in his first 2 years. He should be a master of all systems by now.

Let's also forget that without a full off season program and preseason games, a young QB and team is at a disadvantage against seasoned teams. If a guy can't overcome coaching changes, a horrible OL, limited weapons, and a young team, what good is he. Time to move on.....

• Haha 2