Big Ten is Back(almost)

HawkeyeJet

2 minutes ago, peebag said:

good thing for Nebraska, Iowa....otherwise those two schools athletic depts were going belly up.

I'm really curious how that plays out.  Iowa already cut 4 programs, will be interesting if they reverse course and reinstate those.  I would hope so.

29 minutes ago, CSNY said:

I will only presume that president of big ten was politically pressured. Can’t see this ending well 

If by politically pressured you mean to cancel their season a few weeks back, then yes you are correct. 

• Upvote 2

How would the playoffs work if some teams are playing in the fall while others in the spring?  Or is it only going to be conference championship games this year and then the season ends with no postseason?   Or maybe they have a limited number of bowl games? 

And if teams play in the spring, are they going to come right back and play in the fall again?

So weird!

1 minute ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

How would the playoffs work if some teams are playing in the fall while others in the spring?  Or is it only going to be conference championship games this year and then the season ends with no postseason?   Or maybe they have a limited number of bowl games? 

And if teams play in the spring, are they going to come right back and play in the fall again?

So weird!

They will play in the fall.  The whole spring thing was just kicking the can down the road to delay actually having to make a decision.  You’ll have a playoff if the Big10 plays in the fall.  

Just now, T0mShane said:

Lots of good science and data kicked around in that confab for sure.

At this point, who knows what to make of anything we hear, even from "trusted sources".  I realize the below does NOT mean that only 6% of the deaths were from Covid (just because one has co-morbidities doesn't mean they couldn't have died from Covid) but it certainly clouds the issue.  And it's not like we haven't heard contradictory info from Fauci.

https://www.telegram.com/news/20200831/cdc-says-covid-only-deaths-mere-6

• Upvote 3

12 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

So weird!

The college football playoff is a sham anyway. Undefeated mid-majors still have relatively no shot at getting in so I am pretty sure the NCAA will concoct some other sham system to accommodate the current environment. 

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Don't get this thread locked you fu*****!!!  This is the happiest I've been since my kid was born end of June.

Don't take this from me!  ?

Hawkeye, we can ban individual posters from threads now.  I'll try to let you keep this one good thing a little longer at least :)

• Post of the Week 1

28 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

At this point, who knows what to make of anything we hear, even from "trusted sources".  I realize the below does NOT mean that only 6% of the deaths were from Covid (just because one has co-morbidities doesn't mean they couldn't have died from Covid) but it certainly clouds the issue.  And it's not like we haven't heard contradictory info from Fauci.

https://www.telegram.com/news/20200831/cdc-says-covid-only-deaths-mere-6

Glad you prefaced this  before just sending off this link, but it's been well established that people with preconditions are more likely to die from Covid.. so it makes a lot of sense that a large amount of deaths list more than one co-morbidity. 

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

And these presidents will get fired if the SEC and ACC pull off successful college football seasons while the big ten schools suffer serious financial hardships (due to zero TV revenue).

I really ******* hope so. So glad to hear Kristina Johnson voted in favor of fall football. 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

And these presidents will get fired if the SEC and ACC pull off successful college football seasons while the big ten schools suffer serious financial hardships (due to zero TV revenue).

Eh these big schools print money as it is. Granted this is all political but the presidents and chancellors seem to be digging in and know they won’t be fired. I think there has been some realization however that these decisions are starting to backfire optics wise.

I simply don't see how postponing the season to a time when everyone has to perform all activities in indoor facilities versus outdoor stadiums is an improvement. I'm absolutely positive that asking a college football player to play 18 games in 10 months us ridiculous and instantly discredits any claim that they care about player health and safety. 

• Upvote 2

I cannot understand why they are willing to put kids health and safety above money and pressure. If the presidents of these schools truly believe that it is in the best interest of all concerned then have the courage of your conviction  to stand up against any outside influences. It won’t kill them to wait a year but it truly may kill people if they don’t 

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, Matt39 said:

Eh these big schools print money as it is. Granted this is all political but the presidents and chancellors seem to be digging in and know they won’t be fired. I think there has been some realization however that these decisions are starting to backfire optics wise.

Not a single president of these schools could ever know they won't be fired.