Big Ten is Back(almost)

HawkeyeJet

19 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

Iowa is right now a hotspot. I heard a commentator on one of the news channels talking about it and saying the upcoming Iowa State football game in two weeks (not Big Ten) is scheduled to allow a crowd of 25K. And then the commentor talked about what usually happens around a college football game: parties, no distancing with people, yelling and screaming, no masks or few masks. IMO I can live without it for a year. And now the President of the United States is trying to push the Big Ten into reopening. Funny he's not doing this with other conferences like the Pac 12. 

Iowa is a hot spot for a lot of things. High culture, fine dining, the arts, Covid.

I'm of the belief this storm that wrecked a good part of the state on 8/10 is mostly responsible, but our Governor is in the running for worse Covid handling nationwide.  It's been just head scratching bad.

As of last night, Iowa State changed course on fans attending and won't allow any, at least for the first game. For what it's worth they did have restrictions in place like no tailgating, masks are mandatory, etc. But ultimately they changed their minds.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Iowa is a hot spot for a lot of things. High culture, fine dining, the arts, Covid.

I'm of the belief this storm that wrecked a good part of the state on 8/10 is mostly responsible, but our Governor is in the running for worse Covid handling nationwide.  It's been just head scratching bad.

As of last night, Iowa State changed course on fans attending and won't allow any, at least for the first game. For what it's worth they did have restrictions in place like no tailgating, masks are mandatory, etc. But ultimately they changed their minds.

Just another point on the Gov of Iowa. A few months back when there was a superspread at meat packing plants around the state and the federal gov was not enforcing OSHA regs on workplace safety (and companies determined their own safety standards) and after the admin made workers "essential" she threatened them that if they did not return to work (even in unsafe conditions with large outbreaks) and they applied for Unemployment she would reject any applications.

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Just another point on the Gov of Iowa. A few months back when there was a superspread at meat packing plants around the state and the federal gov was not enforcing OSHA regs on workplace safety (and companies determined their own safety standards) and after the admin made workers "essential" she threatened them that if they did not return to work (even in unsafe conditions with large outbreaks) and they applied for Unemployment she would reject any applications.

Yeah.  She's just flat out dumb.  Like not in a she pisses me off dumb way(although that too).  She's uneducated simpleton dumb.  Apparently being educated/relatively intelligent is not a prerequisite for public office.

• Upvote 2

35 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Yeah.  She's just flat out dumb.  Like not in a she pisses me off dumb way(although that too).  She's uneducated simpleton dumb.  Apparently being educated/relatively intelligent is not a prerequisite for public office.

You should move to South Dakota. The Iowa governor will seem like a super-genius compared to her.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

15 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

What do you think of our handling of COVID19?

How do you feel Eisenhower handled WW II ? It's so easy to criticize from the basement (like many Jets fans) and give your plan in hindsight of events. Like the old saying goes

“I criticize by creation, not by finding fault.”
– Marcus Tullius Cicero

“Criticism is the disapproval of people, not for having faults, but having faults different from your own.”

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better.
The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly.
So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.”
– Theodore Roosevelt

39 minutes ago, DJF71 said:

Long list of bad women leaders.

Much, much longer list of bad men leaders, and by %, I imagine its worse on the men's side than the women's.  Let's try something new.  

There's a reason why the overwhelming majority of film directors are men but the majority of film editors are women.  Editors actually make the movie.  Directors just THINK they do.  

Much, much longer list of bad men leaders, and by %, I imagine its worse on the men's side than the women's.  Let's try something new.  
There's a reason why the overwhelming majority of film directors are men but the majority of film editors are women.  Editors actually make the movie.  Directors just THINK they do.  

It’s not a man vs woman issue. It’s competence vs incompetence. Most humans are pretty useless so it’s hard to find good leaders.
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

Oh snap. Get Dr. Clay Travis on the phone STAT.

There is still so much uncertainty about this disease.  Which is one reason why I will not be critical of anyone who takes a cautious approach and opts out -- whether it is college sports. pro sports or anything else.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Lith said:

There is still so much uncertainty about this disease.  Which is one reason why I will not be critical of anyone who takes a cautious approach and opts out -- whether it is college sports. pro sports or anything else.

Exactly, and I don’t mean to make light of the uncertainty. They’re going to pressure these kids onto the field so the AD’s and coaches can cash checks regardless of whether their player’s careers could be adversely impacted or not. That said, leaving these decisions in the hands of absolute dopes like Mike Gundy and Ed Orgeron, and amplified by an inbred like Clay Travis, seems unsound.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

How do you feel Eisenhower handled WW II ? It's so easy to criticize from the basement (like many Jets fans) and give your plan in hindsight of events. Like the old saying goes

– Marcus Tullius Cicero

“Criticism is the disapproval of people, not for having faults, but having faults different from your own.”

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better.
The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly.
So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.”
– Theodore Roosevelt

45257C56-FA4B-4C3C-A8EA-4E0E10407F6D.jpeg.2f1ab27b2fae5f760b8742b572a9babb.jpeg

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Exactly, and I don’t mean to make light of the uncertainty. They’re going to pressure these kids onto the field so the AD’s and coaches can cash checks regardless of whether their player’s careers could be adversely impacted or not. That said, leaving these decisions in the hands of absolute dopes like Mike Gundy and Ed Orgeron, and amplified by an inbred like Clay Travis, seems unsound.

Clay Travis can be a moron while the notion that these players are being pressured to play football is a joke. 

It's like saying "we have studies that say football is dangerous because of concussions and therefore kids that play college football are clearly being pressured to play." 

Teenagers across the country are going to parties, hanging out at each others homes, going back to school. All of those things are risky during a pandemic. Football is no riskier than going to a party with 30 kids in a house. Do you think these college football players are in their rooms studying biology instead of going to practice? 

5 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

– Marcus Tullius Cicero

– Theodore Roosevelt

Cicero, Teddy Roosevelt... small fry. I want to hear from a real legend: Joe Judge. 

• Haha 1

Serious question, can anyone name me a single professional athlete that has been unable to return to their sport because of the effects of COVID?

Forget about naming one that died or almost died. I haven't seen a single player say they simply can't return because COVID did damage to their bodies. 

Does anyone think it's a coincidence? Does anyone actually think COVID is a greater risk to a college football player than concussions?

1 minute ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Serious question, can anyone name me a single professional athlete that has been unable to return to their sport because of the effects of COVID?

Forget about naming one that died or almost died. I haven't seen a single player say they simply can't return because COVID did damage to their bodies. 

Does anyone think it's a coincidence? Does anyone actually think COVID is a greater risk to a college football player than concussions?

I can't think of one but I did hear that Freddie Freeman (Atlanta Braves) had a real bad case of it and I think they said he feared for his life.  But he definitely came back and played this year (not sure if he's hurt now though).

6 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

29% is a majority?

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Pelosi giving Trevor Lawrence long-term respiratory illness to distract from #BlowoutGate

"Set-up Gate". 

Apparently, she thinks she's owed an apology.  You have to be impressed by the gall of politicians.  And to think how much many on here (myself included, at least to some degree) mocked Jamal Adams.

5 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

"Set-up Gate". 

Apparently, she thinks she's owed an apology.  You have to be impressed by the gall of politicians.  And to think how much many on here (myself included, at least to some degree) mocked Jamal Adams.

Jamal sucks, though. Like, sucks on fleek. He’s the Jimmy Carter of All Pros.