Why does the NFL make it so difficult to watch out of market games?

GreekJet

13 minutes ago, Saul Goodman said:

Sunday Ticket is more expensive this year. Think it’s four payments of $70-$80 (used to be $200 for many years). I’m not feeling good about this season but I’m going to bite the bullet and get it. 

I don’t even have the option to buy it 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, fltflo said:

Streaming services illegal or legal, will eventually force the NFL to give up their exclusive deal with DIRECTV. And like major league baseball, will sell out of market teams to buyers who want to watch.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Did a little research. 

Apparently the exclusive deal with DirecTV ends in 2022. Funny thing is reports the past few days indicate that AT&T is looking to sell DirecTV so it may not even exist much longer. 

• Upvote 1

I watched GamePass last year, $100 for the year and all I had to do was wait until the game was over and avoid hearing the score until I got to watch the game.  Even when I was home in Eastern Connecticut, I was somewhat out-of-market, so I wondered why it took me so long to find out about this.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, kelticwizard said:

I watched GamePass last year, $100 for the year and all I had to do was wait until the game was over and avoid hearing the score until I got to watch the game.  Even when I was home in Eastern Connecticut, I was somewhat out-of-market, so I wondered why it took me so long to find out about this.

I find it's almost impossible to not hear the score unless you live under a rock. Plus it's not just the Jets score you have avoid, it's the entire NFL.   It's also a long wait until the end of the Sunday night game to watch the Jets. Other than that, GamePass is great.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, GreekJet said:

You would think given this direct TV crap would be antiquated by now. With most bars shutdown because of COVID it looks like I will be forced to watch Jets game via the illegal stream all season.

Really don’t understand why the NFL doesn’t make it easy to purchase like other leagues.

From my experience, 99.9% of illegal streams suck. And I'm all over Reddit.

• Upvote 2

If  you have GamePass and you're out-of-market and are doing something else when the Jets are playing, probably you won't run into any conversations about the Jets.

If I am watching another game while the Jets are playing, I have two pronged solution that works, (for me, anyway).

A.  If the announcers are about to give the score, I'm ready to cover my ears quickly.  Juvenile but effective.

B.  As for the graphic strip along the bottom that constantly gives the scores of the other games, I just take a double strip of duct tape and put them along the bottom of the TV so the graphic strip is covered. Easily removed once the game is over.

Give it a try, it might work for you too.

• Thumb Down 1

4 hours ago, Drums said:

Streaming works pretty well but I think I will get the NFL Gamepass because getting to watch the coach’s film is fun. I just want to see that there is a season first.

If you lived in the US  you wouldn't feel the same way. Gamepass is never live here because AT+T has a monopoly on it unlike every other sport here which is available through multiple providers.

36 minutes ago, kelticwizard said:

If only they televised the game once it was over I could get on board. When I subscribed to the service I had too wait until every 4pm game was over until I could watch the Jets game, and even then it was iffy at best.

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, kelticwizard said:

If  you have GamePass and you're out-of-market and are doing something else when the Jets are playing, probably you won't run into any conversations about the Jets.

If I am watching another game while the Jets are playing, I have two pronged solution that works, (for me, anyway).

A.  If the announcers are about to give the score, I'm ready to cover my ears quickly.  Juvenile but effective.

B.  As for the graphic strip along the bottom that constantly gives the scores of the other games, I just take a double strip of duct tape and put them along the bottom of the TV so the graphic strip is covered. Easily removed once the game is over.

Give it a try, it might work for you too.

so question....for gamepass....if the Jets play at 1, can I watch the game at 430 after it ends or do I have to wait until the Sunday night game ends around 11:30.   usually don't have an issue avoiding the score as I live at of market and usually dVR the game on ticket anyway.   Only thing that is hard to control is the random friend that decides to text me about something during the game that ultimately gives away the outcome.

I think @robr answered my question

Edited by pajet
saw new post

1 hour ago, RobR said:

If only they televised the game once it was over I could get on board. When I subscribed to the service I had too wait until every 4pm game was over until I could watch the Jets game, and even then it was iffy at best.

You're probably right about that.  I usually took advantage of the time shift to do something else and watched the game during the evening.  So it might not broadcast until after 4:30, not sure.

Man I got sunday ticket for free for like 6 years, either by making up stuff, pretending i was told it would be gree this year or just calling in and threatening to leave. One year I actually left direct tv, disconnected and an accountant type called me and asked why I disconnected. I literally was like I didn't get free Sunday ticket so I'm out. They were like ok if you stay a customer if I give you it free this year. That was year 5 I think. Anyways so I didn't have it last year- we decided to just stream amazon netflicks etc,  anyway so I used reddit nfl streams. Holy sh*t man I could watch the ny jet game live in HD. It was awesome. On my phone even. I highly recommend  you check it out. Someone  here told me about it. To you the nameless Saint I don't remember,  God bless you, god bless your soul,  you are truly an incredible force of good in the world and I love you.

• Upvote 1

I have the Gamepass also.

I just Golf on nicer days or find something to do around the house.

You can watch the game as soon as it's over (10-15 min later), but the condensed version isn't up until around 7pm or so. 

So I get stuff done around the house and start watching the early games when the later games are on and then watch either a 4pm game or the Sunday night game before bed. 

Between illegal streams and watching games that aren’t live it’s not a great setup for anyone. 

The NFL receives 1.5 Billion annually from DirecTV, but completely misses the big picture as the battle has gone from cable vs satellite to cable and satellite vs cord cutting.

TBH I don’t think either party (AT&T or the NFL) is happy with the arrangement. The deal was struck when DirecTV was still an independent company and their subscriber base was significantly larger than what it is today. 

While I think the NFL will continue to do business with the networks (CBS, Disney, NBC, FOX) it’s almost a certainty that one of the tech companies (likely Amazon) will get the Sunday Ticket rights in 2022 and beyond. At that point the illegal streams will be shutdown for good as Amazon has the manpower to do that. 

• WTF? 1

7 hours ago, vtbx said:

From my experience, 99.9% of illegal streams suck. And I'm all over Reddit.

Most of them do suck, and now even Reddit doesn't offer them I believe. When I first moved out of NJ and couldn't watch the game I went to BWW, but hated that because the JETS were always on the smallest TV in the joint. I then went to Reddit for 2 years which was ok at best. Now this year, I'm not even sure that will be an option. Paying for NFL Sunday ticket is absurd what they charge, so hopefully there will be some streams I can find. 

7 hours ago, RobR said:

If you lived in the US  you wouldn't feel the same way. Gamepass is never live here because AT+T has a monopoly on it unlike every other sport here which is available through multiple providers.

I don’t live in the US so that’s pretty much my only option. I’ll stream the game live and then use Gamepass to watch the coach’s film—that’s all I really want it for. 

I dont know about some of the other sports but MLB has their own app. Once this DirectTV deal runs its course, I dont see how the NFL doesnt follow suit in some way or another. Maybe they sell the rights to amazon or yahoo for example or maybe they do their own, but very soon all games should be able to be streamed legally for a monthly subscription or yearly subscription fee. The only thing that may suck for the people in the jets actual market is possible black outs. For the baseball app, I cannot watch any rays games even though thats the market I'm in. If the NFL is smart and can make this work, in addition to being able to watch every out of market game, they'll also include your local markets game or charge an additional fee to be able to watch your local team.

10 minutes ago, Drums said:

Reddit was fine for me, basically HD and never really dropped, so not sure why you guys have so much trouble. 

Yep.  I've been streaming on reddit links for about 4 years now.   I have the RZ channel up and the Jets game up on the TV's in the man cave, all streaming from Reddit on my play station. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, JiF said:

Yep.  I've been streaming on reddit links for about 4 years now.   I have the RZ channel up and the Jets game up on the TV's in the man cave, all streaming from Reddit on my play station. 

Yeah I’ve been streaming for about 5-6 years since I left NJ. The streams have gotten waaay better. I watch UFC the same way

If you get one of the streaming services that are legal that has local stations, all you need to do is get a VPN that uses a server in the New York area for Jet games.  I have been looking into this and will try and this into my viewing this fall.   So far NordVPN is the best option to get the New York Market.  Express VPN does not have a server in NY.

Hope this helps

Slingbox-500.jpeg

If you have a grandparent, parent, uncle, cousin, or friend in the NY/NJ broadcast area who has cable and a spare bedroom, buy a Slingbox for $99 and you will be able to watch all local programming that way.  (Not Sling TV.  Slingbox.)

I have a friend who has lived in California for the last 20 years with a Slingbox in his parents spare bedroom and he has watched every Jets, Mets, Yankees, Rangers, and Knicks game for free that way.  You can connect via a mobile device or on your 4K or HDTV.  Essentially, it connects to a cable box in your friend's house and you can change the channel, skip forwards, back, pause, etc.  I've owned one for the last 10 years and when we're on vacation or traveling it's awesome.  I've watched Jets games in hotel rooms in Hong Kong on their HDTV's this way, once on an iPad on a train in China, works brilliantly.

SAR I

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Slingbox-500.jpeg

If you have a grandparent, parent, uncle, cousin, or friend in the NY/NJ broadcast area who has cable and a spare bedroom, buy a Slingbox for $99 and you will be able to watch all local programming that way.  (Not Sling TV.  Slingbox.)

I have a friend who has lived in California for the last 20 years with a Slingbox in his parents spare bedroom and he has watched every Jets, Mets, Yankees, Rangers, and Knicks game for free that way.  You can connect via a mobile device or on your 4K or HDTV.  Essentially, it connects to a cable box in your friend's house and you can change the channel, skip forwards, back, pause, etc.  I've owned one for the last 10 years and when we're on vacation or traveling it's awesome.  I've watched Jets games in hotel rooms in Hong Kong on their HDTV's this way, once on an iPad on a train in China, works brilliantly.

SAR I

Did it work at the wet market in Wuhan?