Training Camp Tweets 9/3

kdels62

2 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

Good news.

I’m a little surprised the beat writers are not speculating that veterans are probably sitting out as the first game is a week away and cut down day is on Saturday.

Agreed....without pre-season games the borderline roster players need reps, if not for anything but to give the coaches more tape to watch before making final cuts.

Seems to make sense to me, but then again, "sense" is what a lot of our beat writers lack.

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, CTJetsFan said:

No way Flacco can be on the active 53 to start the season. He won't be able to contribute (should we need a backup QB to come in) having 0 reps in camp

We can't IR him by rule, as his injury wasn't suffered this year. Can't keep him on PUTP without ruling him out for 6 weeks.

So, given that he's projected to be ready by week 3, he's probably going to be on the 53.

4 minutes ago, JetsRay said:

If he won't be available for several weeks, makes more sense to put him on PUP for the 6 weeks.

I'd be tempted, but I think the Jets will want him back ASAP - so they probably keep him on the 53, and carry an extra backup in Fales or White early in the season.

11 minutes ago, mrcoops said:

We can't IR him by rule, as his injury wasn't suffered this year. Can't keep him on PUTP without ruling him out for 6 weeks.

So, given that he's projected to be ready by week 3, he's probably going to be on the 53.

kdels62 brought up a good point in another thread yesterday to this question:

He (Flacco) may be on the 53 after this weekend, but they may move him to IR due to the new rules this year (can come back after 3 weeks) to make room for White (or Fales ) for the first few weeks (assuming they keep Morgan)

3 minutes ago, CTJetsFan said:

kdels62 brought up a good point in another thread yesterday to this question:

He (Flacco) may be on the 53 after this weekend, but they may move him to IR due to the new rules this year (can come back after 3 weeks) to make room for White (or Fales ) for the first few weeks (assuming they keep Morgan)

Apparently, we can't do that as his injury is pre-existing. I read about it this morning, I'll try to find the article.

Edit: found it:

https://amp.northjersey.com/amp/5700608002?__twitter_impression=true

Here's the relevant bit:

Quarterback

Initial roster (4): Sam Darnold, Joe Flacco, James Morgan, David Fales 

Why: Flacco is going to be Darnold's backup, but not to start the season. ESPN reported that Flacco, recovering from neck surgery in April, is targeting a Week 3 return if all goes well with a Sept. 10 checkup. The Jets can't put Flacco on IR, which would allow him to play Week 4, because he was injured before this season. And if they leave him on PUP, he wouldn't be eligible to return until Week 7. So the best option is to keep him on the roster until he's ready to go. 

So the Jets will have to carry four quarterbacks for the first several weeks of the season, which isn't ideal. It's too risky to pass Morgan, a fourth-round pick, through waivers and onto the practice squad. Fales has been outplayed by Mike White during training camp, but his experience and familiarity with Gase's offense earns him the short-term backup job.

• Upvote 2

47 minutes ago, KRL said:

Its all about healing up before the BUF game now.  If starters sit
out who cares  

Never have NFL teams practiced so little in the history of the league. Vets need reps too.  

I take solace in the fact that every single team in the league is going to be a sloppy mess the first few weeks of the season, but the practice does matter.

• Upvote 3