Training Camp Tweets 9/3

kdels62

5 minutes ago, mrcoops said:

Apparently, we can't do that as his injury is pre-existing. I read about it this morning, I'll try to find the article.

Edit: found it:

https://amp.northjersey.com/amp/5700608002?__twitter_impression=true

Here's the relevant bit:

Quarterback

Initial roster (4): Sam Darnold, Joe Flacco, James Morgan, David Fales 

Why: Flacco is going to be Darnold's backup, but not to start the season. ESPN reported that Flacco, recovering from neck surgery in April, is targeting a Week 3 return if all goes well with a Sept. 10 checkup. The Jets can't put Flacco on IR, which would allow him to play Week 4, because he was injured before this season. And if they leave him on PUP, he wouldn't be eligible to return until Week 7. So the best option is to keep him on the roster until he's ready to go. 

So the Jets will have to carry four quarterbacks for the first several weeks of the season, which isn't ideal. It's too risky to pass Morgan, a fourth-round pick, through waivers and onto the practice squad. Fales has been outplayed by Mike White during training camp, but his experience and familiarity with Gase's offense earns him the short-term backup job.

Damn that’s rough. I wonder if they can activate him and then claim he reaggravated his injury.

2 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

It’s comical how short these practices actually are now.   

How many times did they practice in full pads? 

5? 6?

I get practicing light during the season but this has been an absolute powder puff camp.  

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, mrcoops said:

Apparently, we can't do that as his injury is pre-existing. I read about it this morning, I'll try to find the article.

Edit: found it:

https://amp.northjersey.com/amp/5700608002?__twitter_impression=true

Here's the relevant bit:

Quarterback

Initial roster (4): Sam Darnold, Joe Flacco, James Morgan, David Fales 

Why: Flacco is going to be Darnold's backup, but not to start the season. ESPN reported that Flacco, recovering from neck surgery in April, is targeting a Week 3 return if all goes well with a Sept. 10 checkup. The Jets can't put Flacco on IR, which would allow him to play Week 4, because he was injured before this season. And if they leave him on PUP, he wouldn't be eligible to return until Week 7. So the best option is to keep him on the roster until he's ready to go. 

So the Jets will have to carry four quarterbacks for the first several weeks of the season, which isn't ideal. It's too risky to pass Morgan, a fourth-round pick, through waivers and onto the practice squad. Fales has been outplayed by Mike White during training camp, but his experience and familiarity with Gase's offense earns him the short-term backup job.

Good catch. Wasn't aware of that.

Considering he is just "soft tossing" on the side right now, PUP may still be a consideration.

20 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

Damn that’s rough. I wonder if they can activate him and then claim he reaggravated his injury.

Can they practice squad him as one of the allowable vets?

Not sure how the new practice squad rules apply to vets - if someone picked him up would they have to take on his current contract?

9 minutes ago, y2k8 said:

How many times did they practice in full pads? 

5? 6?

I get practicing light during the season but this has been an absolute powder puff camp.  

Absolutely nothing like the good old two-a-days. Maybe that's why these guys are crybabies?

Hey I'm not saying there's not legitimate injuries but years ago the emphasis was much more on toughness especially in the Northeast.

Not trying to sound like an old guy either.. but hey since you youngins all have access to YouTube, go watch Dick Butkus tackle people and watch Bon Scott with AC/DC live.

They will both kick your f****** ass LOL!

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

I remember reading how Doug Marrone ran a really hard, physical Jaguars camp.  That led to a hardened team going to the AFCCG.  Then that team all unraveled.

I think the plan now is to only really hit on Sundays.  If you get hurt, grab another player to replace you.  If you want a contract next year, you find a way to get back in.

I am not sure what the better plan is.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, KRL said:

Its all about healing up before the BUF game now.  If starters sit
out who cares  

Agreed. Perriman has already shown a good connection with Darnold in prior weeks. Sammy knows his speed out of breaks and where he likes the ball while BP understands how Sammy's passes come in (hot, soft, nice spiral vs. bad).

Mims.... a rookie receiver is mostly always given a few games to get his feet under him and have the game slow down. Give him a few simple routes or "GO" routes. Gase will go with the vets out of the gate. Malone making plays.

Can't wait to see cut-down lists league wide. Better have your A game JD!

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, Greenbloodblitz said:

Also I have a legit question. If Sam goes down do we really want to see Joe Flacco? I absolutely don't want to see Joe Flacco. I say cut Joe Flacco. In fact Joe Flacco sounds like the loser guy that sleeps in the truck at work. Wake the **** up Joe Flacco .. come grab this.

More than Fales and Morgan prob ain’t ready so yeah

1 hour ago, kdels62 said:

Good news.

I’m a little surprised the beat writers are not speculating that veterans are probably sitting out as the first game is a week away and cut down day is on Saturday.

I had the same thought.  Except I am never really surprised if our writers miss something. 

Give some of the vets a maintenance day off and use today's practice to evaluate guys on the roster bubble.

Cut down day is going to be fascinating, especially at the WR spot.  With
so many missing time a lot of players had a shot to step up.  How many
will we keep?  I know four definitely will be:

Perriman
Mims
Crowder
Berrios (Punt Returner)

After that will we keep 2 or 3 more and who?

Hogan
Cager
V. Smith
Moncrief 
J. Smith
Malone
Cheeson

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, KRL said:

Perriman
Mims
Crowder
Berrios (Punt Returner)

Hogan
Cager
V. Smith
Moncrief 
J. Smith
Malone
Cheeson

1. Perriman
2. Mims
3. Crowder
4. Berrios

5. Hogan

6. Moncrief

5 minutes ago, KRL said:

2 or 3 more and who?

Hogan
Cager
V. Smith
Moncrief 
J. Smith
Malone
Cheeson

Given that we haven't seen a single play run by any of them (no preseason), and we're only learning of stuff by the occasional tweet - we have almost no idea who will / should be kept.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, KRL said:

Perriman
Mims
Crowder
Berrios (Punt Returner)

Hogan
Cager
V. Smith
Moncrief 
J. Smith
Malone
Cheeson

Hogan

Cager

Moncrief

V. smith (IR)?

Malone PS

• Upvote 1

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

So the only WR we keep who can contribute on ST's would be Berrios?

If those 6 stick, then we'd likely have to keep 7 WRs.  

Dude Covid. There are no special teams this year. New rules.

Ball inside the 30 on 4th down.

• Zoom the refs and let them know you are opting for the free 3 points.
  • They can't risk that the kicker would get Covid by kicking the ball.

No kickoffs

• Sam covid concern
  • Kickers aren't part of the league anymore
  • Everyone goes for 2 every time after a TD
  • Instead of a kickoff the two coaches will agree upon a starting yard line
  • Haha 3

8 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

We have roster spots dedicated to special teamers who can't contribute at their positions. We need the receiver slots to make sure we have guys who can contribute at receiver.

2 minutes ago, Waka Flocka Flacco said:

We have roster spots dedicated to special teamers who can't contribute at their positions. We need the receiver slots to make sure we have guys who can contribute at receiver.

Perhaps.  But we know Joe Douglas prizes versatility.  A guy like Jehu Chesson has looked good at WR AND can contribute on ST's.  Wouldn't he get priority over Donte Moncrief?

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Perhaps.  But we know Joe Douglas prizes versatility.  A guy like Jehu Chesson has looked good at WR AND can contribute on ST's.  Wouldn't he get priority over Donte Moncrief?

Perspective. If one of them is at all appreciably better at receiver, does it really make a difference if the other is a 'can contribute'-level special teamer?

2 minutes ago, Waka Flocka Flacco said:

Perspective. If one of them is at all appreciably better at receiver, does it really make a difference if the other is a 'can contribute'-level special teamer?

I think it does.  Special Teams are still important in the NFL, even if kickoffs mean a lot less than they used to.  Having versatile guys all over the roster allows you the flexibility to keep some other players you wouldn't be able to otherwise.  

Donte Moncrief has never really been a capable WR, and he only just arrived.  Why would he be "appreciably better" at WR than any of the other guys on the team?  He has no tangible relationship with Darnold yet, meaning he'd essentially have no role in the first several weeks of the season.

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Good thought.  Have to assume a 6/7 WR spot will go to a young guy who contributes on STs.  Not having a chance to see pre-season games, we don't know who is getting opportunities as a gunner, or other spots on STs.  I assume Berrios would return both punts and kicks, at least until V Smith returns when he takes over the KR role.  Here are my guesses on WRs:

• Perriman
  • Mims
  • Crowder
  • Berrios
  • Hogan
  • Moncrief
  • Special Teamer (no way of knowing who)
  • Cager (PS)
  • V Smith (IR -- replaces Hogan or Moncrief when healthy)

I would not be shocked if one of Hogan or Moncrief gets cut and we go with a younger guy with upside.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I think it does.  Special Teams are still important in the NFL, even if kickoffs mean a lot less than they used to.  Having versatile guys all over the roster allows you the flexibility to keep some other players you wouldn't be able to otherwise.  

Donte Moncrief has never really been a capable WR, and he only just arrived.  Why would he be "appreciably better" at WR than any of the other guys on the team?  He has no tangible relationship with Darnold yet, meaning he'd essentially have no role in the first several weeks of the season.

Agreed. 

We see it happen every year.  There is a WR we see in pre-season who looks solid and he gets cut for a guy that appears to be a lesser receiver but is a good ST player.  Comes doewn to who will contribute more -- a 6th WR who gets 100 snaps on offense or a core special teamer who gets 250 snaps on STs.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Lith said:

Good thought.  Have to assume a 6/7 WR spot will go to a young guy who contributes on STs.  Not having a chance to see pre-season games, we don't know who is getting opportunities as a gunner, or other spots on STs.  I assume Berrios would return both punts and kicks, at least until V Smith returns when he takes over the KR role.  Here are my guesses on WRs:

• Perriman
  • Mims
  • Crowder
  • Berrios
  • Hogan
  • Moncrief
  • Special Teamer (no way of knowing who)
  • Cager (PS)
  • V Smith (IR -- replaces Hogan or Moncrief when healthy)

I would not be shocked if one of Hogan or Moncrief gets cut and we go with a younger guy with upside.

I have a strange feeling about Hogan. I think he is going to be here and will have a 600 yard season.

• Upvote 1