List of NFL Vets possibly cut this weekend (aka the STB thread)

JetFreak89

Saw an article (on mobile) that listed some NFL vets possibly heading towards the chopping block. Here are some that may be of interest to the Jets.

Dede Westbrook, WR, Jags - in final year of rookie contract but battling a shoulder injury that may make Week 1 questionable. Do we really need another injured WR?

Vic Beasley, OLB, Titans - signed a 1 year deal with the Titans in March but showed up to training camp a week late and out of shape. Could be put on PUP by the Titans or cut. 

Hakeem Butler, WR, Cardinals - With Hopkins, Fitzgerald, Kirk, Isabella and KeeSean Johnson, Butler may not have a spot on the team. He missed his 2019 rookie season with a finger injury. 

Sidney Jones, CB, Eagles - reports are he has fallen out of favor with Jim Schwartz. I really liked this kid out of college but has only played 22 games in 3 seasons. Apparently he's barely participated in TC. 

Keke Coutee, WR, Texans - with Cooks, Cobb, Fuller and Stills, Coutee is on the bubble. Also battled injuries through first 2 seasons and continues to do so during camp. 

1 minute ago, JetFreak89 said:

Saw an article (on mobile) that listed some NFL vets possibly heading towards the chopping block. Here are some that may be of interest to the Jets.

Dede Westbrook, WR, Jags - in final year of rookie contract but battling a shoulder injury that may make Week 1 questionable. Do we really need another injured WR?

Vic Beasley, OLB, Titans - signed a 1 year deal with the Titans in March but showed up to training camp a week late and out of shape. Could be put on PUP by the Titans or cut. 

Hakeem Butler, WR, Cardinals - With Hopkins, Fitzgerald, Kirk, Isabella and KeeSean Johnson, Butler may not have a spot on the team. He missed his 2019 rookie season with a finger injury. 

Sidney Jones, CB, Eagles - reports are he has fallen out of favor with Jim Schwartz. I really liked this kid out of college but has only played 22 games in 3 seasons. Apparently he's barely participated in TC. 

Keke Coutee, WR, Texans - with Cooks, Cobb, Fuller and Stills, Coutee is on the bubble. Also battled injuries through first 2 seasons and continues to do so during camp. 

Id take a chance on

Hakeem Butler with a quickness... Sidney Jones probably ..... Dede depend on injury. 

Found our guy!

Eagles waived WR Deontay Burnett.

Burnett, in his third season, started one game for Philadelphia last year after spending his rookie season with the Jets. Eagles beat writers have raved about Burnett in training camp, so it's no surprise the team wants to put the wideout on their practice squad if he clears waivers. Waiving Burnett could be a sign that Alshon Jeffrey is healthy enough to start the season for the Eagles after undergoing foot surgery during the offseason. 

I was only 1/2 kidding. I liked what I saw from him and would like to see us bring him back. I'm sure most want to hold out for a bigger name who has been more productive, but he's still young. The Eagles waiving him seems odd given they are thin at WR

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, CTJetsFan said:

Found our guy!

Eagles waived WR Deontay Burnett.

Burnett, in his third season, started one game for Philadelphia last year after spending his rookie season with the Jets. Eagles beat writers have raved about Burnett in training camp, so it's no surprise the team wants to put the wideout on their practice squad if he clears waivers. Waiving Burnett could be a sign that Alshon Jeffrey is healthy enough to start the season for the Eagles after undergoing foot surgery during the offseason. 

I was only 1/2 kidding. I liked what I saw from him and would like to see us bring him back.

I really like Deontay Burnett, and would love to see him back. I don't think Gase is a fan though.

Burnett is one of those guys who is good enough to be a backup but probably never a starter. His lack of special teams value hurts him when it comes to securing a roster spot.

But me personally - I'd love to find a spot for him on the team.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, ljr said:

if WR is next to his name, im interested

I don't think they should sign any of these guys. Why take away play time from younger guys who you're trying to develop and give them to older guys who won't be here long term? Makes 0 sense. Roll with what you got let the younger guys get healthy and give them play time.