Season Prediction thread

EM31

Put your predictions here for the 2020 campaign  

89 members have voted

1. 1. In 2020 the NY Jets will end up with....?

• Four or fewer wins - We will be in the race for Trevor Lawrence (or the haul of picks that the #1 overall would bring)
    • 5-7 Wins - The same limbo we seem to have been in forever
    • 8-9 Wins - Mathematically in the playoff picture until the end. Overall team is on an upswing but still more to do
    • 10-11 Wins - Playoff football baby!
    • 12+ Wins - AFC East winners. Max receives reports of Jetsnation posters going over to New England to pee on the grave of the Patriots losers
    • Other - The season gets curtailed in some form or fashion
    • Jets go 0-16, Cheats face Brady in Super Bowl, then everyone dies
  2. 2. If you think that we will have four or fewer wins.....

• Gase gets fired after the 2020 season
    • Gase stays at least through the 2021 season.

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

jetschamps.jpg

10-6 AFC East Champions.

Every year there's a team that's overlooked whose QB plays above his paygrade and whose HC is better than people thought.  This year, that's us.

Bills grossly overrated, Patriots pesky but crippled, Dolphins rebuilding.  Jets get a break with the early part of the schedule, 49ers (11AM after not traveling at all in the preseason), Broncos (Thursday Night Football) and Cards (11AM and back to back trips East for them).  Middle of schedule is soft.  End with Browns and Pats.  Clinch division in Foxboro, quite delicious.

SAR I

nice.  i agree on the 10-6 or 11-5.  these records are in their hands.  i know people are carping about talent but with the exception of  a few teams, there just aren't that many that will build on the previous year's success.  the league is still all about parity and teams like the rams or niners will have trouble repeating their previous successes.  i also think the jets have improved themselves talent wise.  they have better players and if they play as a team they will be good.  i'd also like the gase naysayers to say they were wrong.  not because i have such great love of gase but because the bad press gase has been getting is unfair and mostly wrong. 

• Upvote 2

Just now, rangerous said:

nice.  i agree on the 10-6 or 11-5.  these records are in their hands.  i know people are carping about talent but with the exception of  a few teams, there just aren't that many that will build on the previous year's success.  the league is still all about parity and teams like the rams or niners will have trouble repeating their previous successes.  i also think the jets have improved themselves talent wise.  they have better players and if they play as a team they will be good.  i'd also like the gase naysayers to say they were wrong.  not because i have such great love of gase but because the bad press gase has been getting is unfair and mostly wrong. 

As a Gase naysayer, I would be very happy to be wrong about him.  

• Upvote 1

I see 6 or 7 wins. 

I still have faith in Darnold and I think JD is changing the culture -  I do like his draft and his FA approach.  But this roster is still thin, the schedule does us no favors, and this is a team that would've benefited from a normal NFL offseason. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Daddy Wang Doodle said:

Anything less than a season which sees the Jets at least in the hunt until the end (8-9 wins in poll) should result in Gase getting the axe. 

NFL experts have the Jets winning 5-6 games, the O/U is 6.5.  If the Jets go 6-10, they will have met expectations.  No one gets fired for meeting expectations.  Especially because we know what happens:

We get the worst HC prospect in the NFL.  It's not like this is some cherry job where Bellichick, Reid, or Harbaugh are in the running.  Kill Gase and we're back to square one with some rookie ex-coordinator like Bowles.  No thanks.

SAR I

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, rangerous said:

Exactly.  And like our Rangers, a team with low expectations and a bunch of new guys everywhere plays without pressure and with a chip on their shoulder and often surprises all the so-called experts.

Some see the lack of a proper preseason as a worry, but I think that hurts more established teams equally if not more.  Older guys need to peel the rust off.  Younger guys just suit up and play. 

Besides, we have the best quarterback and second-best head coach in the division.  That means something.  The path to the playoffs is without a wildcard.  We just need to take care of business against the AFCE and we'll be just fine.

SAR I

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

8 minutes ago, SAR I said:

NFL experts have the Jets winning 5-6 games, the O/U is 6.5.  If the Jets go 6-10, they will have met expectations.  No one gets fired for meeting expectations.  Especially because we know what happens:

We get the worst HC prospect in the NFL.  It's not like this is some cherry job where Bellichick, Reid, or Harbaugh are in the running.  Kill Gase and we're back to square one with some rookie ex-coordinator like Bowles.  No thanks.

SAR I

Really effective coaches change expectations.  At some point we need to begin to ask more of people.

Week 1: Sunday, Sept. 13 at Bills (1 p.m., CBS) (LOSS 0-1), Chance this is a Win.

Week 2: Sunday, Sept. 20 vs. 49ers (1 p.m., FOX) (LOSS 0-2)

Week 3: Sunday, Sept. 27 at Colts (4 p.m., CBS) (LOSS 0-3), Decent chance this is actually a Win

Week 4: Thursday, Oct. 1 vs. Broncos (8:20 p.m. NFLN) (WIN 1-3)

Week 5: Sunday, Oct. 11 vs. Cardinals (1 p.m., FOX) (WIN 2-3), Decent chance this is actually a loss

Week 6: Sunday, Oct. 18 at Chargers (4 p.m., CBS) (LOSS 2-4)

Week 7: Sunday, Oct. 25 vs. Bills (1 p.m. CBS) (WIN 3-4)

Week 8: Sunday, Nov. 1 at Chiefs (1 p.m. CBS) (LOSS 3-5)

Week 9: Monday, Nov. 9 vs. Patriots (8:15 p.m., ESPN) (LOSS 3-6)

Week 10: Sunday, Nov. 15 at Dolphins (4 p.m., CBS) (LOSS 3-7), Chance this is a Win

Week 11: Bye

Week 12: Sunday, Nov. 29 vs. Dolphins (1 p.m., CBS) (WIN 4-7), Chance this is a Loss.

Week 13: Sunday, Dec. 6 vs. Raiders (1 p.m., CBS) (WIN 5-7)

Week 14: Sunday, Dec. 13 at Seahawks (4 p.m., CBS) (LOSS 5-8)

Week 15: Dec. 19 or 20 at Rams (TBD) (LOSS 5-9)

Week 16: Dec. 26 or 27 vs. Browns (TBD) (LOSS 5-10), Chance this is a Win

Week 17: Sunday, Jan. 3 at Patriots (1 p.m., CBS) (WIN 6-10), Pats playing for nothing by this point.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Game by Game Prediction:  6-10

Best Case:  10-6 (Very unlikely)

Worst Case:  4-12 (Unlikely)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think we're looking at another 7-9, 6-10, 8-8 at best season in 2020.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

6 wins, however the jets start 2-8 then go 4 and 2 the last 6 games thus proving the 31st ranked Gase lead offensive team is good and he deserves coach of the years consideration.

The good news however is that russell wilson gets hurt and seattle wins 5 games.

Not wishing injuries, but how sweet would it be if SEA imploded this year, finished 4-12 and we get a top-3 pick in the draft from them, while our own 9-7 record nets us a wildcard berth?  The bitter tears of SEA fans would taste glorious.

Hey, a man can dream big, can't he?

• Upvote 4

14 minutes ago, EM31 said:

Really effective coaches change expectations.  At some point we need to begin to ask more of people.

Gase was thrown into a fire last year, probably the most challenging and difficult HC role in the NFL in the 2019 season, and the culture change, QB growth, and 6-2 finish was admirable. 

You ask me, Gase has already changed expectations and proven he is a very good NFL head coach.  At this point it boils down to the offensive coordinator and the roster.  Loggains and Douglas are the ones we need to ask more of.  Gase proved his mettle last year.

SAR I

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

20 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

6 wins, however the jets start 2-8 then go 4 and 2 the last 6 games thus proving the 31st ranked Gase lead offensive team is good and he deserves coach of the years consideration.

Adam Gase is a head coach, not an offensive coordinator.

Adam Gase didn't say he was an offensive guru, Manish Mehta did.

Adam Gase is a good head coach, and that's more important than a coordinator.

Dowell Loggains is on the hot seat in this his 7th year as an OC, Sam Darnold too.  Adam Gase proved himself as a good HC last year.  Be happy.

SAR I

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

5-7 wins, and even that is optimistic. There are numerous issues with the team (and certainly some positives) but most notable are the poor cornerbacks and receivers. In a passing league that leaves us with little chance of outscoring opponents. 

I’m trying to train myself to not care about W/L, and to only focus on Darnold’s performance. A stat line of 65%, 4K, 30/15 would make me very happy. 

• Upvote 3

35 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Gase was thrown into a fire last year, probably the most challenging and difficult HC role in the NFL in the 2019 season, and the culture change, QB growth, and 6-2 finish was admirable. 

You ask me, Gase has already changed expectations and proven he is a very good NFL head coach.  At this point it boils down to the offensive coordinator and the roster.  Loggains and Douglas are the ones we need to ask more of.  Gase proved his mettle last year.

SAR I

The end of year schedule was extraordinarily weak and so Gase's "mettle" remains to be seen.

The OC works for the HC and so the performance of the OC is 100% within the remit of the HC.  Gase's job performance should be evaluated with this understanding.  Obviously injuries are part of the picture and the GM "buys the groceries" but the coaching structure is still hierarchical last time I checked.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, EM31 said:

The end of year schedule was extraordinarily weak

The Ravens played 11 such games, the Bills 8.  I don't hear anyone holding that against them.

8 minutes ago, EM31 said:

The OC works for the HC and so the performance of the OC is 100% within the remit of the HC. 

Most definitely.  My point is that Gase has a much bigger responsibility, he's not some figurehead HC who is really an OC.  He's a head coach, looks to be a damned good one.  If you don't like the offense, blame the OC.  Gase can hire another one.  Apparently Darnold likes Loggains.  So he's still got a job.

6 minutes ago, EM31 said:

so Gase's "mettle" remains to be seen.

No NFL head coach had to go through what Gase did last year.  If ever we wanted a trial-by-fire for a new HC in NY, we got it.  That team was ripped to shreds by illness and injury, was badly built, and was sitting at 1-7 with no hope.  And we finished 6-2.  No implosion.  No crying about the situation.  No excuses.  Just winning 6 of our last 8 games with a roster that was beyond awful and being declared underdogs in each contest.  That's head coaching.  That's great head coaching, in fact.

SAR I

• Upvote 1

You talk endless crap about my credibility let the record show we both believe this is a 5-7 win team

The difference is that you appear to be happy with it. I see it as a gross failure to punt on the first tb12 less season in the afc east for decades

You 9+ win folks are insane.  We're not finishing with a winning record with a bottom 5 roster and a schedule that features both Super Bowl participants and 3 west coast trips.  
8 wins is the upper boundary for this team.  So I'm going with the 5-7 option.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using JetNation.com mobile app

4 hours ago, BUM-KNEE said:

What's shocking is that you gave your own post POTW vote.

With the insanity on the board now a days,  I felt like it is worth of POTW.  This team has no shot of even sniffing the playoffs.  As a matter of fact, right now is the closest they’ll get to qualifying for them, 0-0.

3 hours ago, SAR I said:

The Ravens played 11 such games, the Bills 8.  I don't hear anyone holding that against them.

Lol.  The Ravens finished 14-2 and the Bills were 10-6.  The jets FOUGHT for a 7-9 record, all the while still losing to the winless dolphins and winless bengals.

6 hours ago, SAR I said:

Exactly.  And like our Rangers, a team with low expectations and a bunch of new guys everywhere plays without pressure and with a chip on their shoulder and often surprises all the so-called experts.

Some see the lack of a proper preseason as a worry, but I think that hurts more established teams equally if not more.  Older guys need to peel the rust off.  Younger guys just suit up and play. 

Besides, we have the best quarterback and second-best head coach in the division.  That means something.  The path to the playoffs is without a wildcard.  We just need to take care of business against the AFCE and we'll be just fine.

SAR I

Disagree with the premise of older established teams are at a disadvantage. I think it 180 degrees opposite that they do indeed have a greater advantage as they have played together for awhile they know what their teammates tendencies are which gives them a huge leg up on teams that have had a huge roster turnover with much less practice time to become cohesive. My main reason for 5-7 wins 

7 hours ago, shuler82 said:

I see 6 or 7 wins. 

I still have faith in Darnold and I think JD is changing the culture -  I do like his draft and his FA approach.  But this roster is still thin, the schedule does us no favors, and this is a team that would've benefited from a normal NFL offseason. 

Agree with everything.

1 hour ago, heymangold said:

Lol.  The Ravens finished 14-2 and the Bills were 10-6.  The jets FOUGHT for a 7-9 record, all the while still losing to the winless dolphins and winless bengals.

All 3 teams played the same so-called "soft" amount of teams, the Ravens an 11 contests against the dregs of the NFL, the Bills 8.

SAR I

1 hour ago, heymangold said:

Let's not forget that the Bills laid down to us in week 17 or else they could've gone 11-5 and we would've been 6-10.