Season Prediction thread

EM31

Put your predictions here for the 2020 campaign  

89 members have voted

1. 1. In 2020 the NY Jets will end up with....?

• Four or fewer wins - We will be in the race for Trevor Lawrence (or the haul of picks that the #1 overall would bring)
    • 5-7 Wins - The same limbo we seem to have been in forever
    • 8-9 Wins - Mathematically in the playoff picture until the end. Overall team is on an upswing but still more to do
    • 10-11 Wins - Playoff football baby!
    • 12+ Wins - AFC East winners. Max receives reports of Jetsnation posters going over to New England to pee on the grave of the Patriots losers
    • Other - The season gets curtailed in some form or fashion
    • Jets go 0-16, Cheats face Brady in Super Bowl, then everyone dies
  2. 2. If you think that we will have four or fewer wins.....

• Gase gets fired after the 2020 season
    • Gase stays at least through the 2021 season.

6 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Am I wrong or does GW report to CJ?  IIRC, GW was hired before Gase.  Besides, the defense was not the problem last year.

GW is a coordinator, he reports to the HC.  Gase was hired on January 11, Williams on January 16.

The defense certainly was the problem against the Bengals and Dolphins, two losses that get pinned on Gase.  But that's last year.  Let's focus on this year.  This year, the D is still more developed and more invested than the O.  We should have a Top 10 D and Top 20 O.  So the heat is on Williams to win some games on D and not just put it all on Sam's shoulders.

SAR I

15 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Gase is responsible for Loggains which is why I expect him to replace him if the offense doesn't improve.  If the defense doesn't take steps forward, I expect him to fire Williams too.

The point is that Gase isn't running our offense, this "offensive guru" stuff was a straw man created by the likes of Manish so he could shoot him down and sell papers.  He's a head coach.  He is running the entire team.

SAR I

You repeat this over and over and it's nonsense. Gase was brought in specifically because he comes from the offensive side of the ball. It's no strawman anything created by anyone. He was hired to develop Darnold with Loggains as his personal right hand man helping to run his offense. On game day, it's Gase -not Loggains- calling the plays. He's intricately involved in the offense while pretty much letting Gregg Williams run the other side of the ball as he sees fit. This narrative of yours is some weird gas-lighting thing. 

I could get on board with him being more of a head coach than coordinator -and a better head coach than coordinator- if he were to bring in a real offensive coordinator (instead of his puppet-sized puppet) and let that man run the offense while he runs the whole show. The offense is still his baby, though. That's where he's spending the majority of his time, energy, and focus. Suggesting anything else is just false.  

• Upvote 2

36 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I didn't want to fire him after 4 games.  I even said last year that he deserved to finish the year (what's the point of an in-season coaching change anyway).  But even if we accept your premise, Joe D has basically had 0 games as GM of this team.  He was hired after the draft and free agency.  The only impact he could have last year was to pick up scrap heap players.  

You forget that the thing fans rip on Christopher Johnson for (firing Maccagnan after the draft) is Joe Douglas' biggest advantage-  he has been with the Jets since early 2019 and had a full season to evaluate the talent on the roster, prepare fully for the 2020 draft, and make informed 2020 FA decisions.  

So Douglas definitely has his fingerprints all over the 2020 Jets.  He's been with us for 16 months, not 4.

SAR I

Irwin.thumb.jpg.2f4ec1d7a8e0aa0a14e729aab0c656fd.jpg

43 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Gase is responsible for Loggains which is why I expect him to replace him if the offense doesn't improve.  If the defense doesn't take steps forward, I expect him to fire Williams too.

The point is that Gase isn't running our offense, this "offensive guru" stuff was a straw man created by the likes of Manish so he could shoot him down and sell papers.  He's a head coach.  He is running the entire team.

SAR I

“If we don't change direction soon, we'll end up where we're going.”
-- Irwin Corey

14 minutes ago, slats said:

You repeat this over and over and it's nonsense. Gase was brought in specifically because he comes from the offensive side of the ball. It's no strawman anything created by anyone.

No, it's not.  Many strong OC candidates are given a look at HC and some of them stick.  Sure, Gase calls plays and sure, Gase has influence in the meetings, but Dowell Loggains isn't some figurehead collecting a paycheck.  This is his 7th season as an NFL offensive coordinator.  He runs the practices.  He sets the formations.  He sets the personnel.  Gase is busy being a head coach, he can't run the entire offense all week.  Can he call plays on Sunday?  Sure.  But being a full-time OC and a full-time HC are two different skillsets.

And, FYI-  what exactly is the crime if Adam Gase is a blah offensive mind but a terrific head coach?  You kidding me?  I'll take a great head coach over a sophisticated OC any day.  Give me Bill Belichick, you can go find a Josh McDaniels if you like.  HC sets the tone for the whole show.  HC motivates.  HC makes the strategy.  HC takes the hits from the media.   If Gase came here without the "offensive guru" narrative, we'd all be happy with him just as a HC.  So there you go.  Be happy.  Finding an NFL head coach is hard, really hard.  They don't get drafted.  They have to want to come here.

SAR I

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, SAR I said:

No, it's not.  Many strong OC candidates are given a look at HC and some of them stick.  Sure, Gase calls plays and sure, Gase has influence in the meetings, but Dowell Loggains isn't some figurehead collecting a paycheck.  This is his 7th season as an NFL offensive coordinator.  He runs the practices.  He sets the formations.  He sets the personnel.  Gase is busy being a head coach, he can't run the entire offense all week.  Can he call plays on Sunday?  Sure.  But being a full-time OC and a full-time HC are two different skillsets.

Loggains is running Gase's offense. He was the QB coach under Gase when Gase was the OC in Chicago, and then his OC in Miami before coming here. It's Gase's offense.

And I don't believe Gase is doing all these head coach things you attribute to him. I think he leans heavily on Joe D for the administrative stuff, and lets Gregg Williams run the defense. He oversees the whole team, but the offense is his. It's his design. His plays. He is deeply involved in creating the offensive gameplans every week before he calls the plays on Sunday. He lets Williams create the gameplan on his side of the ball. He's basically a full time OC, part time HC, with Loggains as his first lieutenant. Williams is the HC of the defense. 

16 minutes ago, SAR I said:

And, FYI-  what exactly is the crime if Adam Gase is a blah offensive mind but a terrific head coach?  You kidding me?  I'll take a great head coach over a sophisticated OC any day.  Give me Bill Belichick, you can go find a Josh McDaniels if you like.  HC sets the tone for the whole show.  HC motivates.  HC makes the strategy.  HC takes the hits from the media.   If Gase came here without the "offensive guru" narrative, we'd all be happy with him just as a HC.  So there you go.  Be happy.  Finding an NFL head coach is hard, really hard.  They don't get drafted.  They have to want to come here.

Gase was brought in here to develop Sam Darnold. You can not like the "offensive guru," narrative all you like, but that doesn't change the fact that the Jets reversed 20 years of head coach hiring philosophy and went to the offensive side of the ball for a very specific reason. He's expected to improve the offense and make Darnold better. That's his job, whether he puts himself in charge of it or not. And in this case, he has put himself in charge of it. If he's a better CEO than offensive mind, then he needs to hurry up and figure that out and bring in a better offensive mind to run the offense. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

2 hours ago, slats said:

You repeat this over and over and it's nonsense. Gase was brought in specifically because he comes from the offensive side of the ball. It's no strawman anything created by anyone. He was hired to develop Darnold with Loggains as his personal right hand man helping to run his offense. On game day, it's Gase -not Loggains- calling the plays. He's intricately involved in the offense while pretty much letting Gregg Williams run the other side of the ball as he sees fit. This narrative of yours is some weird gas-lighting thing. 

I could get on board with him being more of a head coach than coordinator -and a better head coach than coordinator- if he were to bring in a real offensive coordinator (instead of his puppet-sized puppet) and let that man run the offense while he runs the whole show. The offense is still his baby, though. That's where he's spending the majority of his time, energy, and focus. Suggesting anything else is just false.  

Bellick was brought into Baltimore because he was an offensive Guru.  They put maybe the greatest D since the 85 Bears on the field to win a SB.  Gase is the HC.  The Jets roster was run into the trash bin when he showed up.  In 1 year he got Darnold turned around, got in a GM who knows that the OL is part of the offense.  We're loaded with picks and cap space going forward.

By any metric, Gase did an absolutely brilliant job last year.  This team was headed for the perennial dog sh*t pile before he showed up.

• Thumb Down 1

6 minutes ago, Biggs said:

Bellick was brought into Baltimore because he was an offensive Guru.  They put maybe the greatest D since the 85 Bears on the field to win a SB.  Gase is the HC.  The Jets roster was run into the trash bin when he showed up.  In 1 year he got Darnold turned around, got in a GM who knows that the OL is part of the offense.  We're loaded with picks and cap space going forward.

By any metric, Gase did an absolutely brilliant job last year.  This team was headed for the perennial dog sh*t pile before he showed up.

And what is Brian Billick's legacy? The guy Marvin Lewis carried to a Super Bowl? 

Listen, I don't hate Gase. Not at all. In my opinion, the jury is still out on him. He's coached for two of the worst run franchises in the league, the roster here was very poor last year, I get it. But, "absolutely brilliant,"? No, I'm very far from sold on that premise. That was a cupcake schedule the second half of last year. Did he do better than I expected when they were 1-7? Absolutely. Dude still managed to lose to two previously winless teams. Yay or nay, it's not settled yet with Gase in my mind. 

• Upvote 1

Expecting 9ish wins. If more well done by Gase, if less he should be fired. After two full off-seasons, year 2 a head coach should have his team slightly above .500, minimum. Sure he was saddled with Maccagnan last off season. But with one season to implement his program and one off season with his boy Joe D, 9 wins isn’t too much to ask. 

4 hours ago, bitonti said:

is this a parlay? is it three separate bets? 

first bet - TOTAL WINS 

Yes I am willing to bet straight up 6.5 over under (i'll take the under at -130 you get the over at +100 even thats current pricing and favors you) 

second bet - Gase Fired

Odds on Gase? I'll take that straight up too, even tho I could very well lose it but it's good synergy with bet number 1. -110 each side 

those together I want parlay odds. 

Bet 1 -130

Bet 2 -110

Parlay payout means bet 100 to win 240 

as for the Morgan bet you seem to misunderstand the phrase wally pipp.

meaning James Morgan gets the job because of injury and never gives it back like Lou Gehrig is precisely the scenario I want to bet on.  

that is a specific longshot call like saying boxing KO in a specific round 

and if that's straight up i want like 8:1 odds cause it's a lightning strike  :)

Bet 1 -130

Bet 2 -110

Bet 3 +800

so to review i hit all three scenarios bet 100 to win 2900

this sliding 2 out of 3 your propose is bet 100 to win 240 (above scenario where bet 1 and 2 come in) or 1400-1600 if bet 1/3 or bet 2/3 

this is an illustration why I don't bet parlays by the way 

the payouts look so amazing because the chances of any two things happening are totally S--t

so to summarize we can do 3 individual bets if you prefer but parlays are for suckers 

even if you give me the correct odds

You made 3 predictions

I disagreed and offered to bet the opposite on all 3 positions and donate winnings to a charity

I m willing to bet them all individually or best 2/3    Im willing to bet your version of Darnold getting Wally Pipped

Now youre looking for odds?   Sounds like you dont believe your own BS!

2020 New York Jets 12-4
2020 Division Champs - first since 2002.
Half the Jets wins (6) come from AFC EAST for the sweep.
Adam Gase gets in the coach of the year discussion.
Sam Darnold earns a trip to the Pro Bowl with 3 other Jets: Mekhi Becton, Chris Herndon, and Quinnen Williams.
Jets host first playoff game since January 3rd, 2003 during the opening Wild Card weekend of the 2002 NFL Playoffs. That was the game the Jets massacred Peyton Manning's Colts 41-0.
No fans will be in attendance for the Jets first home playoff game in 18 years.

Ya know something? I like you.

I like the list of positivity and I like the pro bowl selections. I happen to think Mims wins OROY too just to add some syrup for your pancakes.

This is going to be a whacky season. Similar to sending the cue ball flying randomly into the table when there are no obvious shots. Things are getting all jostled and randomized by the current societal standards.
I like the head strong Joe Douglas led Jets to rise from that mess and put together a surprisingly fun season.

And the fans not being in the stands will help us.the last few years have been 50/50 affairs with the home team advantage being washed away by the mediocrity inspired void of Jets fans.
Silence is violence at met life.

I like it. I like it all!!! I like Trevon Wesco!!!

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Sympathy 1

5 hours ago, SAR I said:

GW is a coordinator, he reports to the HC.  Gase was hired on January 11, Williams on January 16.

The defense certainly was the problem against the Bengals and Dolphins, two losses that get pinned on Gase.  But that's last year.  Let's focus on this year.  This year, the D is still more developed and more invested than the O.  We should have a Top 10 D and Top 20 O.  So the heat is on Williams to win some games on D and not just put it all on Sam's shoulders.

SAR I

The Jets scored 6 whole points vs the Bengals last year.....

• Upvote 1