Connor Hughes: Quinnen Williams finished Training Camp with 1 sack, 2 TFLs

Jetsfan80

16 hours ago, k-met57 said:

understand the argument against drafting a DL, however guy was widely regarded as a certified beast coming out. You couldnt find anyone pre-draft saying anything other then "best DL to come out in at least several years". That being said....i am also wondering who you guys wanted at 3 outside of maybe Josh Allen? if you want to make the argument for Allen vs QW...fine...but thats a very different argument from he was a horrible pick. anyways...as i said....practice reports mean nothing....pulling for QW to make people eat crow.

They wanted to draft Jonah Williams and his glass shoulder.  It’s revisionist history that they were Josh Allen lovers they were calling him a one trick pony

Bottom line - 

He's not explosive - all the working out and weight loss in the world is NOT going to make him more explosive.  He has no real burst - at least not nearly enough to be an impact DT (it's very hard to do)

Big strong kid, which will make him a nice body to clog up the middle - but those guys are a dime a dozen.  He'll be traded in two years for a late 3rd round pick.  

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

6 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Bottom line - 

He's not explosive - all the working out and weight loss in the world is NOT going to make him more explosive.  He has no real burst - at least not nearly enough to be an impact DT (it's very hard to do)

Big strong kid, which will make him a nice body to clog up the middle - but those guys are a dime a dozen.  He'll be traded in two years for a late 3rd round pick.  

Pretty much not his scouting report.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Maybe that's why he was over drafted.  I watch him play - not scouting reports.  He's showed no burst at all.

And like I said, that was not his scouting report.  

He didn't lose his first step burst or his quickness out of nowhere.  He either was injured or tentative.  

Whichever it was he didnt look like the player he was at Alabama 

42 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

They wanted to draft Jonah Williams and his glass shoulder.  It’s revisionist history that they were Josh Allen lovers they were calling him a one trick pony

I wanted Ed Oliver. I think a lot of people did. 

• Upvote 1

Bust.  Heres a very young guy who is wealthy and has a beautiful girlfriend and nobody in their right mind would not think twice about getting on his wrong side.  I can just see years from now while he has the boys over for a card game smoking Cubans and  sipping brandy out of his snifter and looks up and says its your deal Trumaine. Trumaine says no Q its Vernon's.  I want to be a bust.

Bottom line - 

Doesn’t have the motor of a guy picked that high. No snarl, no angry . If you could give him Kris Jenkins or Bryan Cox’s heart . But that isn’t how things work.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 2

On 9/4/2020 at 1:14 PM, GreekJet said:

Joe Judge is a proven commodity. He helped build the foundation of the Pats the last few years with his disciplined, no-nonsense approach. There is a lot of nonsense with Gase-No nonsense with JJ

Proven? Like, uh, Matt Patricia, Eric Mangini, Romeo Crennel, Josh McDaniels,  and all of the other complete and total failures that have left the proven "Cheat and Manipulate" system as implemented by Darth Bill?

LOL. GTFO with this. You sound like a moron, Trolly. 

• Upvote 3

Sam Munson and the boys at PFF are still scratching their collective number-gathering heads (during their most recent AFC East podcast) as to why Quinnen Williams has not immediately become the player they expected.

They feel much, much better about their opinions holding true on Adam Gase and Sam Darnold.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Gangrene said:

Sam Munson and the boys at PFF are still scratching their collective number-gathering heads (during their most recent AFC East podcast) as to why Quinnen Williams has not immediately become the player they expected.

They feel much, much better about their opinions holding true on Adam Gase and Sam Darnold.

I’m so sick if people acting like PFF is the Bible.  They are absolutely fallible

On 9/4/2020 at 6:07 PM, k-met57 said:

understand the argument against drafting a DL, however guy was widely regarded as a certified beast coming out. You couldnt find anyone pre-draft saying anything other then "best DL to come out in at least several years". That being said....i am also wondering who you guys wanted at 3 outside of maybe Josh Allen? if you want to make the argument for Allen vs QW...fine...but thats a very different argument from he was a horrible pick. anyways...as i said....practice reports mean nothing....pulling for QW to make people eat crow.

I wanted Allen. There was absolutely no reason to take an interior lineman at 3. None.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

48 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

I’m so sick if people acting like PFF is the Bible.  They are absolutely fallible

So far they are fallible on Quinnen Williams. We should know more by the end of the year on how right or wrong they are about everything else Jets.

They were right about Hackenberg but then again everybody and their mother was right about Hackenberg except Christian Hackenberg's immediate family and Mike Maccagnan.

• Upvote 1

On 9/4/2020 at 2:48 PM, Beerfish said:

It was no secret that the New York Jets were fielding calls and open for business ahead of the NFL's trade deadline Tuesday. But one player they weren't willing to deal was 2019 first-round defensive tackle Quinnen Williams despite receiving serious interest from a mystery team.

According to ESPN's Adam Schefter

"At least one team kept coming at the Jets, refusing to take no for an answer and offering a blockbuster package of picks that it thought New York could not turn down, according to sources. But no matter how many times that team and others called, New York refused to budge on Williams."

Good I sure hope this is not the case.  Mac..... you freaking idiot.

14 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

He didn't lose his first step burst or his quickness out of nowhere.  He either was injured or tentative.  

1) He was over-drafted IMO because he only had one year of college production. I never understood taking an interior DL third overall with just one year on tape. It’s not surprising he’s gotten off to a slow start.

2) I’ll reserve judgement on Quinnen until the regular season. 

• Thumb Down 1

On 9/4/2020 at 11:16 AM, slats said:

We get it, Maccagnan sucked. Pretty sure that was a factor in his getting fired. I’m gonna go ahead and root for this kid to succeed regardless of who picked him, anyway. 

Imagine that. What craziness. 

It really does feel like people are just about rooting for him to fail. I don't get that. It's hard for me to understand actually. If he plays well the defense will get a major boost by his impact.  No one can deny he worked his a$$ off to get healthier and stronger this offseason. What's not to like about this kid except who chose him and where? 

Q was nearly the last guy I would have taken in that spot but I have to admit I like him. He's a young man who just wants to work hard and do well. I think he's going to have a nice progressive season this year and if I wasn't a gambling addict I would be willing to bet a cool hunge that he would get at min 6 sacks this season. lol

I'm rooting for Q as much as anyone on the team this year. 

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Philc1 said:

They...  I love that, :)  

The truth is very few, outside of you I think I recall, wanted Q in that spot. Many of us liked him but there was no way the majority of the board would have written his name on the card. Allen would have been fine but I didn't love that one either when compared to a trade back. 

I would have taken Jonah Williams in a second over Q and his injury doesn't negate his talent. But still, the move was to trade back and take whatever we could to do it. If it was one second and a 6th to move back 10 spots we should have done it even though it was less value than many of the charts would say.  We slide back to 15, gain a 2nd and choose bradberry, Dillard or Cody Ford etc in the 1st.  Then take a WR like Mecole Hardman, AJ Brown, Andy Isabella, DK Metcalf or Terry Mclaurin in the 2nd. All were still there in that rd. I won't even get into the Cb's and LBs lol

Q was as stupid of a pick as passing on Deshaun Watson for Adams.  That said, I'm rooting for him hard style! :) 

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, GreekJet said:

1) He was over-drafted IMO because he only had one year of college production. I never understood taking an interior DL third overall with just one year on tape. It’s not surprising he’s gotten off to a slow start.

2) I’ll reserve judgement on Quinnen until the regular season. 

1. He wasn't over drafted.  Never understanding.  If he doesnt turn into the player he was predicted to be by pretty much everyone, they were wrong about his talent, motor etc.  Doesnt change the fact that he was picked up near the top of the draft and that was where he was slated to go and everyone who does this said he would.  And I didnt want him either.  

2.  Thats the way it should be.   

20 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

If I remember correctly, the film breakdown of QW discussed that his stance was more flatfooted where he read the center/guard and then proceeded to work through the block as opposed to be on his toes and "burst" through a gap.  

4 minutes ago, BCJet said:

If I remember correctly, the film breakdown of QW discussed that his stance was more flatfooted where he read the center/guard and then proceeded to work through the block as opposed to be on his toes and "burst" through a gap.  

I remember almost every single breakdown of QW talk about his burst, his quickness and his motor and had great hands.  I didnt want him because I wanted an EDGE, not because I thought he sucked or because of some other reason.  I do remember some thought he needed to gain strength, that he wasn't particularly strong

6 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

I remember almost every single breakdown of QW talk about his burst, his quickness and his motor and had great hands.  I didnt want him because I wanted an EDGE, not because I thought he sucked or because of some other reason.  I do remember some thought he needed to gain strength, that he wasn't particularly strong

I was fine with the pick at the time as I felt QW was a very high end prospect who could rush the passer as an interior lineman. Saban is on record telling Belicheck that QW was his best player as well.

We need to give him the season to see how he has progressed.  Week 1 in particular is going to be a great test because old friend Brian Winters is going to be lining up as the Bills starting guard on a OL that is not particularly good.  QW and Fatuski have no excuses and should absolutely abuse winters the entire game.  Lets hope that happens.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Proven? Like, uh, Matt Patricia, Eric Mangini, Romeo Crennel, Josh McDaniels,  and all of the other complete and total failures that have left the proven "Cheat and Manipulate" system as implemented by Darth Bill?

LOL. GTFO with this. You sound like a moron, Trolly. 

He is a giants fan trolling a Jets website

• Upvote 3