Deshaun Watson gets paid ???

Rhg1084

4 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

He's a top 5 QB in the league, and contracts are supposed to be about what a player WILL do rather than what he HAS done.  A lot of great years are ahead for him and he deserves every penny.  

Who gives a sh*t whether the NFL will be in trouble financially?  The owners have enough money.  

The fact that you started the comment with He is a top 5 QB made me ignore the rest.

3 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I hate that you have to pay these QBs four years into their careers and then watch their teams stagnate with them because you have to save money everywhere else on the roster. It shouldn’t be punitive to have a good, young QB. 

Again, the idea of having one player you pay every year off the books would solve a lot of this.  Imagine having 5 years of control of your QB while you then pay the best edge rusher top dollar!

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I hate that you have to pay these QBs four years into their careers and then watch their teams stagnate with them because you have to save money everywhere else on the roster. It shouldn’t be punitive to have a good, young QB. 

Well the jets approach pre-Sam was to have nothing but crappy qbs of all ages to save money

3 hours ago, pdxgreen said:

Getting Damian Lillard vibes from this signing.  You know your team is going nowhere.  You know your coach/GM aren't that good.  But you stay loyal to the soil.  Kudos to Deshaun.

Hopkins was more valuable to that team. And I’m not a Watson hater

I think these skyrocketing QB contracts will lead to more teams drafting and going for younger cheaper QBs or journeymen QBs and building powerhouse talented squads around them.

The days of the singular talented QB carrying teams is about to end.

You cannot ignore the fact that a 49 million a year QB is simply not a good investment when you are trying to build a winner ... Watch what happens to Texas.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Rhg1084 said:

Do you realize how much money the NFL/owners make. The fact that players are getting paid should not upset people 

It's not that he got paid.

Its that when 1 player gets that much it becomes much harder to fill in the rest of the roster.

• Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, Dunnie said:

I think these skyrocketing QB contracts will lead to more teams drafting and going for younger cheaper QBs or journeymen QBs and building powerhouse talented squads around them.

The days of the singular talented QB carrying teams is about to end.

You cannot ignore the fact that a 49 million a year QB is simply not a good investment when you are trying to build a winner ... Watch what happens to Texas.

The journeyman QB route won't work.  Because even the journeyman types are expensive too.  Kirk Cousins just re-upped with Minnesota and is making $33M per year.  Ryan Tannehill makes $29.5M per.  Jacoby Brissett is costing Indy $21.3M against the cap this year.  Teddy Bridgewater got $21M per.  Anything less than $20M per and you're talking about guys who you really can't reasonably expect to win with over a full season and postseason.  Think Nick Foles, Ryan Fitzpatrick and Tyrod Taylor.  

So that just leaves drafting a QB high every 3 years or so, developing him, hoping he turns into a franchise guy, then trading him if he becomes one prior to paying him.  Risky.  Sure, you could get a Mahomes/Watson type and win for a while, then trade a QB like that for a huge package of picks.  But the next guy you draft could very easily be Josh Rosen or Blake Bortles.  

With so few guys on the planet at any given time who can play QB at a high level, its not a viable strategy to try to cycle through them.  Once you have one, you have to pay him.  The hope would be that the league comes up with a strategy to avoid having teams struggle to keep their QB upright because they're devoting 12-20 % of their cap to their QB.  It's in the NFL's best interests to do so.  

The journeyman QB route won't work.  Because even the journeyman types are expensive too.  Kirk Cousins just re-upped with Minnesota and is making $33M per year.  Ryan Tannehill makes $29.5M per.  Jacoby Brissett is costing Indy $21.3M against the cap this year.  Teddy Bridgewater got $21M per.  Anything less than $20M per and you're talking about guys who you really can't reasonably expect to win with over a full season and postseason.  Think Nick Foles, Ryan Fitzpatrick and Tyrod Taylor.  
So that just leaves drafting a QB high every 3 years or so, developing him, hoping he turns into a franchise guy, then trading him if he becomes one prior to paying him.  Risky.  Sure, you could get a Mahomes/Watson type and win for a while, then trade a QB like that for a huge package of picks.  But the next guy you draft could very easily be Josh Rosen or Blake Bortles.  
With so few guys on the planet at any given time who can play QB at a high level, its not a viable strategy to try to cycle through them.  Once you have one, you have to pay him.  The hope would be that the league comes up with a strategy to avoid having teams struggle to keep their QB upright because they're devoting 12-20 % of their cap to their QB.  It's in the NFL's best interests to do so.  
I dunno ... One QB at 40 million per or 2-3 pro bowlers at other positions ...

16 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Name 5 QB's who are better.  

I thought about it.  From the perspective of having a guy for the next 4 years, you pretty much discount the old men Brady, Brees, etc.  

So to me, the top 2 are clearly Mahomes, then Wilson.  After that, you get into the next tier which includes Jackson (prove it one more time, Lamar), Rodgers and yes, Watson.  There are a few other guys who could push for that tier, but Watson clearly belongs there and I can't think of anyone else I'd rather sign that I didn't already list.  The only real negative is the knee but he could play 10 years and never injure it again so I have to give him the benefit of the doubt on that.  

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

I dunno ... One QB at 40 million per or 2-3 pro bowlers at other positions ...

I mean, if that's your choice, MAYBE you make that call.  But you can't guarantee that the $40M you avoid spending on a QB will result in 2-3 other Pro Bowlers.  Ideally you'd be using that money to re-sign other homegrown talent, not FA's, and even competent teams don't always have 2-3 other Pro Bowlers to pay.  

To me, $40M per is worth it on a guy like Watson, but there's a line where it becomes no longer worth it.  Dak Prescott would be the best QB on the list of guys I would NOT want to pay at that level.  Hence Jerry Jones' hesitation.  

So in the end the true top guys are always going to get paid.  It's the 2nd/3rd tier guys where you might start to see teams saying no and start moving on to a new QB.  Kirk Cousins was the first to experience that in Washington, and even with that franchise's struggles, I don't think they regret that decision.

35 minutes ago, rangerous said:

not begrudging any player that gets their money but imo watson just hasn't shown enough.  at best what he's done is prove he's better than the long line of losers the texans have had.  i will say he's better than dak.  dak has taken some pretty loaded teams and has done very little.

I don't get this perspective at all.  If Watson was our QB we'd be celebrating his payday here.  Watson is an incredibly high character guy.  Career QB Rating of 101.0.  71 TD / 29 INT ratio, 67 % completions, and 8.1 YPA.  He won a playoff game last year in comeback fashion (he has 8 comebacks and 10 game-winning drives in his career to date).  2x Pro Bowler (2018, '19).  And he did all this with a really bad franchise that has entrusted all of its personnel decisions to Bill O'Brien.  And he barely even made a peep when O'Brien traded away his top weapon and one of the 5 best receivers in the league.

Watson has checked every box.  Not only has he done "enough" to earn that new deal, his ceiling is as high or higher than every QB in the league not named Pat Mahomes.

On 9/5/2020 at 4:53 PM, King P said:

He's done more to deserve his contract than guys like Tannehill and statpadding Cousins to deserve theirs 

No offense, but glad you are not running our team, if you think Watson deserves $40 million a season.  

Someone earlier suggested he was a top 5 QB right now.  That is almost laughable.

Imagine what Darnold is going to ask for at this rate, and as of right now, he has done half of what Watson has.