Eagles still trying to trade Alshon Jeffery

joewilly12

Philadelphia Inquirer's Jeff McLane reports the Eagles are "still trying to trade" Alshon Jeffery.

The Eagles haven't found any takers yet because of his foot injury and $9.9 million contract. McLane calls a potential trade "improbable" at this point, but there are a lot of moving parts this weekend. Jeffery is expected to make his 2020 season debut late in September as he continues working through his foot injury. The Eagles have DeSean Jackson and first-round rookie Jalen Reagor (shoulder) as competition for Jeffery when he returns.

3 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

They'd be lucky to get a conditional 7th rounder for an oft injured, currently injured aging non-dynamic WR. 

Personally, I would take a flier on him as a FA. But he isn't worth trading for him imo. 

I'd take him if the Eagles want to also give a draft pick for the Jets to pick up his salary.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Patriot Killa said:

Since when????

Since he was called out being the source of unnamed comments criticizing other teammates.

The drama that has been bubbling over inside the Eagles’ locker room now has a name. Alshon Jeffery is the “anonymous source” spilling out secrets to ESPN.

https://heavy.com/sports/2019/10/eagles-anonymous-source-alshon-jeffery-confirmed/

Jeffery, who was rumored to be the culprit, had previously denied he was to blame. However, 94WIP’s Howard Eskin told “Angelo Cataldi and The Morning Show” that the wide receiver is indeed the unnamed source that has been supplying fodder to ESPN’s Josina Anderson. Eskin called Jeffery both “stupid and foolish.” When host Angelo Cataldi brought the subject up, the long-time radio personality didn’t hesitate and immediately name-dropped Jeffery.

“Do you know who it [the source] is?” Cataldi asked. “Can you tell us?”

“Yeah, why not,” Eskin responded. “Alshon Jeffery.”

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Philadelphia Inquirer's Jeff McLane reports the Eagles are "still trying to trade" Alshon Jeffery.

The Eagles haven't found any takers yet because of his foot injury and $9.9 million contract. McLane calls a potential trade "improbable" at this point, but there are a lot of moving parts this weekend. Jeffery is expected to make his 2020 season debut late in September as he continues working through his foot injury. The Eagles have DeSean Jackson and first-round rookie Jalen Reagor (shoulder) as competition for Jeffery when he returns.

I thought Reagor had a serious shoulder injury?

2 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

I don’t understand the point in tagging me. First with the Forrest gimp gif, then changing it to this. ?‍♂️

I tagged you @Integrity28  because you mentioned the Alshon Jefferey being available in another thread way after I started this one. 

I think you like gorillas. 

No harm no foul unless you see it to be. 

3 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

I tagged you @Integrity28  because you mentioned the Alshon Jefferey being available in another thread way after I started this one. 

I think you like gorillas. 

No harm no foul unless you see it to be. 

That thread was started a few days ago, you irrelevant psychopath. 

• Haha 3

https://www.nfl.com/news/gm-roseman-eagles-not-actively-shopping-wr-alshon-jeffery

GM Roseman: Eagles 'not actively shopping' WR Alshon Jeffery

Published: Sep 05, 2020 at 09:05 PM

f6b7udz3xm3jglfakq9q.svg

Michael Baca

NFL.com Digital Content Producer

The Eagles expect Alshon Jeffery to return from injury sooner rather than later, which is why the wideout was activated from the PUP list and put on the 53-man roster before Saturday's deadline. But Philadelphia general manager Howie Roseman went out of his way to clear any rumors that have sprung up in recent days.

"We are not actively shopping him, as reported," Roseman declared. "I think, for us, let's get the good player back as soon as possible. I'm not telling you that he's ready for Week 1, but we definitely anticipate him being ready before that PUP period."

Jeffery is still recovering from the Lisfranc surgery he had in December but would've had to wait until a Week 7 return if put on the PUP list to start the season.

"The decision to activate Alshon is because we feel like if you kept him on PUP that would mean, basically, he wouldn't be ready til' the seventh game," Rosman explained. "We think he's going be ready before that. He thinks he's going to be ready before that. We think he's a good player and so we want him to get back as quick as possible to help this football team. Obviously, with these new rules, there's some way you can get guys up off the practice squad for game day, which is new for us."

The Eagles have some flexibility thanks to the new roster rules in place because of the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, and they will be relieved to have options considering they're already dealing with injuries to a receiving corps with little depth.

Rookie Jalen Reagor, who turned heads over the summer, is likely to miss the start of the season with a shoulder injury. DeSean Jackson's return to Philadelphia last year was marred by injury and the 33-year-old has a history of missing significant time. And Jeffery, who had his worst statistical season as an Eagle in 2019, still needs to prove he can produce like a No. 1 again upon his return.

The Eagles have seven wide receivers on their initial 53-man roster to start the season, with J.J. Arcega-Whiteside, John Hightower, Greg Ward and rookie Quez Watkins rounding out the group.

The Eagles' receiving woes were a constant theme last season. But thanks to a weak division, quarterback Carson Wentz and the tight end duo of Zach Ertz and Dallas Goedert, Philadelphia willed themselves to an NFC East title.

There is certainly room for Jeffery to make an impact, if healthy, but the Eagles will have to scramble a bit until he returns. As for trading the eighth-year veteran, it's unlikely anyone will part with much to take on the 30-year-old with his $9.91 million salary for 2020 and an uncertain return to health. Should Jeffery prove otherwise, it could turn out to be a win-win with new options for Roseman, who maintains a positive outlook on the Eagles' No. 1 wideout.

"Alshon's come back with incredible energy," Roseman said. "He's in great shape, he's motivated to win and be part of it."

22 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

Since he was called out being the source of unnamed comments criticizing other teammates.

The drama that has been bubbling over inside the Eagles’ locker room now has a name. Alshon Jeffery is the “anonymous source” spilling out secrets to ESPN.

https://heavy.com/sports/2019/10/eagles-anonymous-source-alshon-jeffery-confirmed/

Jeffery, who was rumored to be the culprit, had previously denied he was to blame. However, 94WIP’s Howard Eskin told “Angelo Cataldi and The Morning Show” that the wide receiver is indeed the unnamed source that has been supplying fodder to ESPN’s Josina Anderson. Eskin called Jeffery both “stupid and foolish.” When host Angelo Cataldi brought the subject up, the long-time radio personality didn’t hesitate and immediately name-dropped Jeffery.

“Do you know who it [the source] is?” Cataldi asked. “Can you tell us?”

“Yeah, why not,” Eskin responded. “Alshon Jeffery.”

never seen this. damn.

4 hours ago, playtowinthegame said:

You don't trade for a receiver that old coming off of a lisfranc surgery 9 months ago. Joe will likely wait for Alshon to be released then bring him in for a visit. Kick the tires so to speak.

Also didn’t know he had a lisfranc injury sheesh. definitely a no-go there & no wonder nobody has offered anything for him.

23 hours ago, Dinamite said:

I'd take him if the Eagles want to also give a draft pick for the Jets to pick up his salary.

This.

The contract *is* barely tradeable the other way.  PHI is facing a huge cap crunch next season and clearing this contract off is almost essential.  I believe there is a $10M dead cap hit NEXT year to cut him (pre-Jun 1).  He would cost $10M in salary this year and $10M to cut before next season.  Or you could cut him now for $15M in dead cap. 

What pick(s) are worth eating $15-20M of combined cap?  

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, nycdan said:

This.

The contract *is* barely tradeable the other way.  PHI is facing a huge cap crunch next season and clearing this contract off is almost essential.  I believe there is a $10M dead cap hit NEXT year to cut him (pre-Jun 1).  He would cost $10M in salary this year and $10M to cut before next season.  Or you could cut him now for $15M in dead cap. 

None. They don't exist.

42 minutes ago, nycdan said:

This.

The precedent here would be the Houston-Cleveland Brock Osweiler trade from 2017.  Cleveland took on Osweiler's $16M guaranteed salary.  The deal looked like this:

Cleveland received:

• QB Brock Osweiler ($16M guaranteed remaining salary)
  • 2017 6th round pick
  • 2018 2nd round pick

Houston received:

• 2017 4th round pick

Not sure what that would work out to on the trade chart in terms of 2021/2022 picks we could expect in a deal like that. 

At first glance that would get us something like a 2021 3rd/4th rounder or a 2022 4th/5th rounder.  I'd gladly take that.  And who knows, maybe Alshon could provide some value on the field later this season.

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, nycdan said:

This.

I think the Browns took on the QB from Houston (blanking on his name) for about $16 mil.  They netted a 2nd round pick.

17 hours ago, Philc1 said:

He has injury issues and a big contract.  There’s a reason the eagles are desperate to get rid of him

Yeah it's because their rookie receivers, Jalen Reagor, John HighTower and Quez Watkins along with return to health of Desean Jackson have made him expendable.   Notice the Eagles took 3 receivers in this draft...  just sayin.  

• Upvote 1

Interesting...  Just what we were discussing but even more blunt.  Literally paying $5MM cash and cap for a 2nd round pick.

https://www.nfl.com/news/inside-wild-backstory-behind-saints-last-ditch-effort-to-sign-jadeveon-clowney

Making a final push late Saturday to land star pass rusher Jadeveon Clowney, the Saints got creative, attempting to pull off a move believed to be the first of its kind in NFL history – but couldn't get final clearance from the league.

The Saints were working with another team towards a unique sign-and-trade deal that would've maneuvered around salary cap constraints to bring the free-agent Clowney to New Orleans. But talks fell apart over the NFL's willingness to approve such a deal, and Clowney wound up agreeing to terms with the Tennessee Titans on a one-year deal late Saturday night.

According to sources informed of the talks, the Saints didn't feel they could compete financially with the Titans' offer – $12 million, plus $3 million in incentives – given budgetary reasons. So, they approached another team to find a workaround. (Sources didn't confirm the other team, which hereafter is referred to as "Team X", but it is believed to be the Cleveland Browns, who have ample cap space and a front office known for having a propensity for creativity, most memorably on display in their 2016 trade for quarterback Brock Osweiler.)

The sides discussed parameters of a deal in which Team X would've signed Clowney to a one-year, $15 million contract and paid him a $5 million signing bonus. Then, Team X would've immediately traded Clowney to the Saints, who would've sent Team X a second-round draft pick, as well as a player to take additional salary off New Orleans' books. The Saints would've paid Clowney's remaining $10 million salary.

Just one problem: The teams got word late Saturday the NFL was unlikely to approve such a deal.