Clowney expected to sign with Titans

Jetlife33

Clowney was reportedly deciding between the Titans and Saints with the Seahawks and Ravens reportedly in the mix for him as well.

New Orleans was making a strong push to get him under contract and even had spoken to the agents for some of their players to free up cap space if they were to sign him. 

Instead, Clowney is reunited with Mike Vrabel, who previously worked as the Texans’ defensive coordinator before taking the Titans’ head coaching job. 

Clowney, 27, is a former No. 1 overall pick of the Texans back in 2014. He was in the final year of his four-year, $22.272 million contract when the Texans picked up his fifth-year option which paid him $12.306 million for the 2018 season. 

Houston franchised Clowney last year before trading him to the Seahawks at the start of the regular season. 

In 2019, Clowney appeared in 13 games for the Seahawks and recorded 31 tackles, three sacks, an interception, two defensive touchdowns, four forced fumbles, two recoveries, and three pass defenses. Pro Football Focus has him rated as the No. 20 edge rusher out of 108 qualifying players.

• Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, Lith said:

Also looks like Clowney was interested in established winners.  Saints, Ravens, Titans, Seahawks were his top 4.  I doubt he ever seriously considered the Jets.

If we would have paid him what he wanted then he would have signed.  I wouldn't call the Titans established winners.  But I will admit... they are better then us right now.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, pdxgreen said:

If we would have paid him what he wanted then he would have signed.  I wouldn't call the Titans established winners.  But I will admit... they are better then us right now.

Maybe.  Maybe not.  Its not always about the highest bidder. And it generally has not worked out for us in the past when we have outbid everyone else for a guy's services.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Lith said:

Maybe.  Maybe not.  Its not always about the highest bidder. And it generally has not worked out for us in the past when we have outbid everyone else for a guy's services.

Probably because the good commited players just use us to raise the bids of other teams.  We're left with the guys who want the big pay day then find the nearest way to the door.  

2 minutes ago, pdxgreen said:

Probably because the good commited players just use us to raise the bids of other teams.  We're left with the guys who want the big pay day then find the nearest way to the door.  

Don't disagree.  Build a solid core through the draft and then it will be easier to add top tier FAs without overpaying.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, jeremy2020 said:

oh, good, all the clonwey threads can stop then

Not so fast! 

While some reports have connected Jadeveon Clowney to the Titans, the free agent edge rusher says that he has “still not made a decision,” (Twitter link via ESPN.com’s Josina Anderson). Clowney says “teams are still calling,” making it clear that he’s still weighing opportunities from multiple teams. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jetlife33 said:

Not so fast! 

While some reports have connected Jadeveon Clowney to the Titans, the free agent edge rusher says that he has “still not made a decision,” (Twitter link via ESPN.com’s Josina Anderson). Clowney says “teams are still calling,” making it clear that he’s still weighing opportunities from multiple teams. 

In other words it’s about the money.  Not winning

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

I love it. He will be someone else's problem. Clowney is a former number one over all pick, that's it. You coldnt describe a bum any more clearer.  Not advertised as a hard worker. get to the QB consistently and leads the NFL in penalties for the past several years.We finaly have a GM that wont back up the Brinks Trunk for a name only. And I am most excited about it. 

• Post of the Week 2

14 hours ago, Jetlife33 said:

In 2019, Clowney appeared in 13 games for the Seahawks and recorded 31 tackles, three sacks, an interception, two defensive touchdowns, four forced fumbles, two recoveries, and three pass defenses. Pro Football Focus has him rated as the No. 20 edge rusher out of 108 qualifying players.

is that really a 14-16 million dollar guy?

He was on the Seahawks, who have a lot if defensive help.   3 sacks, 1 pic, 4 forced fumbles.   The #20 edge rusher.

• Upvote 1

I honestly would’ve paid him if it was a 1-year deal. We just lost Mosley and we need more playmakers on the defensive side. 

It’s a low risk move. Even if we paid him 16 million per year, isn’t that better than us not using it at all? If it’s a 1-year deal, his contract is off the books anyway after the season. 

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, Ghost said:

I honestly would’ve paid him if it was a 1-year deal. We just lost Mosley and we need more playmakers on the defensive side. 

It’s a low risk move. Even if we paid him 16 million per year, isn’t that better than us not using it at all? If it’s a 1-year deal, his contract is off the books anyway after the season. 

But but the “culture”

Clowney will be a free agent nightmare again next year!!!! He will be asking for a rich contract again and won't come down on his price at all!!!! He is not worth the money or the years!!!!!

IMO, am glad the Jets didn't sign him at all!!!! If he was interested in the Jets, he would of accepted whatever Joe Douglas offered him. Instead he is looking for $17 million a year and only playoff team. He also has stipulations like he will not participate in training camp and only plays during the season no preseason at all. He is not worth the aggravation and notice certain teams didn't try or attempted to sign him, which is proof enough that he isn't worth signing!!!!

If sorry look at his numbers last year, they weren't impressive at all!!!! Lets see how he does this season!!!!!