Are week 1 starting receivers on the roster?

AFJF

No time frame for returns of Perriman and Mims.  Gase said the team was way off in evaluating Perriman's knee which is on and off. Mims says he'll definitely play, but that's not his call.  If he does play, Does he start?  How many snaps?  How much can be expected?

V. Smith out.  Jeff Smith out.

Most realistic options are Hogan, Crowder and Berrios who has also missed some time recently.

You guys think a starter is added or do the Jets suck it up and lean heavily on the TE's and LeVeon Bell while the other guys get healthy?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, AFJF said:

No time frame for returns of Perriman and Mims.  Gase said the team was way off in evaluating Perriman's knee which is on and off. Mims says he'll definitely play, but that's not his call.  If he does play, Does he start?  How many snaps?  How much can be expected?

Most realistic options are Hogan, Crowder and Berrios who has also missed some time recently.

You guys think a starter is added or do the Jets suck it up and lean heavily on the TE's and LeVeon Bell while the other guys get healthy?

Maybe they bring Moncrief back or pick another WR with exp. up. They could even trade or pickup A. Jeffrey from Eagles.

4 minutes ago, UnknownJetFan said:

Maybe they bring Moncrief back or pick another WR with exp. up. They could even trade or pickup A. Jeffrey from Eagles.

Trade for receiver in 30s coming off major injury that's only gonna take play time away from guys we're trying to develop.. No thanks. Been in favor of seeing more multiple tight end looks anyways roll with what you got. Let the young guys get healthy and develop them. Adding Jeffrey does nothing for this team. He won't make us better in terms of wins and won't be here next year. Absolutely pointless move. 

• Upvote 2

Perriman and Crowder are almost locks to start. Mims is a lock to be available. Since he had no practice he may not get many reps on game day- they may just use him as a decoy or throw him a couple of screens or send him on a go route. Berrios should be ready as our punt return guy and backup slot. Hogan will also be available on the outside when they are not using Mims. 

That makes 5 WRs. We'll see what they do with V. and J. Smith as far as IR and who they are able to bring back on PS. But it would not surprise me one bit if they signed someone who go released yesterday as their 6th WR. 

Having said that, yes, they will use RBs and TEs heavily in the pass game. In general, I think the Jets will be a ground and pound team this year that cuts down on turnovers and relies on a stout defense. We may see Sam as a 'move the chains' QB more than we did last season.   

I honestly was intrigued by what we actually started out with at WR. If it wasn't for the injuries I think it's a pretty damn dangerous group.

Perriman, Mims, Crowder, V. Smith, and Berrios? I'm definitely looking to see this 5 wide receiver set.

Once again however I feel bad for our head coach and quarterback because it's going to be another first half of the Season full of retooling. So yes I think they'll be bringing in someone else.

I'm just stating that the original group was fine and probably better than most people would think.

9 hours ago, AFJF said:

Unfortunately bringing in even a veteran Wr isn’t going to help the Jets in week one. Doesn’t know the playbook, no chemistry with QB, and no timing with the Qb.   The jets are going  to need to rely on what they have on the roster at Wr, and use their Te’s , and running backs to move the ball through the air.

• Upvote 2

I believe the WR's are on the team but as you indicated
my offensive plan early on would be to establish the
run game.  The OLine and TE's have been healthy and have
had time to develop chemistry.  I would ride them with
2 TE sets and punch BUF in the mouth on the ground.
And then hit them with play action to Herndon & Griffin
who can stretch the seam

• Sympathy 1

It’s imperative that we stop the run & keep Allen in the pocket. I’m fine with playing smash mouth ugly game Sunday letting our new Oline (much bigger & tougher), plus using multiple TE sets forcing the Bills out of nickel & dime sets (they have a deep secondary). 
Play field position with our new punter & be patient hoping the make a mistake (fumbled punt, or Allen pick deep in their own end). 
The game could be sloppy with no preseason so play it close to the vest & try to steal one. 
Losing on the road is not the end of the world, but stealing a win & getting a west coast team at home 10:00AM game for them with their entire WR group hurt is a coup for our Jets. Stop the run, double Kittle with a good group of safeties. 

1 hour ago, Greenbloodblitz said:

I honestly was intrigued by what we actually started out with at WR. If it wasn't for the injuries I think it's a pretty damn dangerous group.

Perriman, Mims, Crowder, V. Smith, and Berrios? I'm definitely looking to see this 5 wide receiver set.

Once again however I feel bad for our head coach and quarterback because it's going to be another first half of the Season full of retooling. So yes I think they'll be bringing in someone else.

I'm just stating that the original group was fine and probably better than most people would think.

I can't remember the last time we had this much size and speed at wr. Maybe 2009 with Braylon Edwards, Brad Smith, and Cotchery.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, PepPep said:

Perriman and Crowder are almost locks to start. Mims is a lock to be available. Since he had no practice he may not get many reps on game day- they may just use him as a decoy or throw him a couple of screens or send him on a go route. Berrios should be ready as our punt return guy and backup slot. Hogan will also be available on the outside when they are not using Mims. 

That makes 5 WRs. We'll see what they do with V. and J. Smith as far as IR and who they are able to bring back on PS. But it would not surprise me one bit if they signed someone who go released yesterday as their 6th WR. 

Having said that, yes, they will use RBs and TEs heavily in the pass game. In general, I think the Jets will be a ground and pound team this year that cuts down on turnovers and relies on a stout defense. We may see Sam as a 'move the chains' QB more than we did last season.   

I just don't see the Jets being ground and pound. I think we will see 12 personnel more, but reality is that Gase needs to pass more on 1st and especially 2nd down to be more balanced.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, PepPep said:

The Jets will have no choice but to run 12, 21, and 22 personnel with the issues they have at WR, but trying to win via the ground & pound leaves absolutely no room for error. One holding penalty and you're done. The OL should be improved, and (like everything else) should get better over the course of the season, but the Bills had a good rushing defense last year. Can't let them just stack the box. If the Jets believe in Darnold -and I think they do- they need to let him throw the ball. I'm not talking seven-step drops, but quick, easy, timing throws that move the ball and keep the defense honest. Sure, run behind Becton, but use that to set up the play-action. We have a QB, I have no desire to go back to the boring offensive football of the Mangini/Rex days. 

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, slats said:

The Jets will have no choice but to run 12, 21, and 22 personnel with the issues they have at WR, but trying to win via the ground & pound leaves absolutely no room for error. One holding penalty and you're done. The OL should be improved, and (like everything else) should get better over the course of the season, but the Bills had a good rushing defense last year. Can't let them just stack the box. If the Jets believe in Darnold -and I think they do- they need to let him throw the ball. I'm not talking seven-step drops, but quick, easy, timing throws that move the ball and keep the defense honest. Sure, run behind Becton, but use that to set up the play-action. We have a QB, I have no desire to go back to the boring offensive football of the Mangini/Rex days. 

I guess when I say ground and pound I'm talking about consistently utilizing the revamped O-line and RB group of Bell, Gore and Perine. Obviously Sam will throw the ball, obviously running the ball will set up play action and some deep shots will need to be taken to keep the defense honest. But with McGovern anchoring the middle of the line, Becton on the left side, TEs who can block and RBs who can grind it out, it makes sense to run the ball rather than have Darnold throw it 40-50 times a game. Not to mention the lack of elite talent at the WR position.