Conversation with Kenny Stills (Gase Mentioned) *Warning* It doesn't fit your narrative

choon328

11 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

On a serious note, it really sounds like Gase has turned a corner somewhere along the way, and he’s not nearly as combative. Good to see. Maybe those lonely simp fans who need their coaches to also be their pretend friends will chill out a little bit.

Got to agree which was honestly my biggest gripe about him all along.  A stubborn my way or the high way kind of coach which just doesn’t work in today’s NFL. 

• Upvote 3

17 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

I like Gase.  Personality wise I always have.  Wins/loss needs to improve but I think he's far from unlikeable.

Except when he sulks through press conferences with his head down and leaves never saying thanks.  I get zero personality out of that.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Gase isn't my uncle or friend or mentor. 

He's the Head Coach of my favorite football team.

Wins.  Losses.  Production.

That is what matters.  All that matters.

Respect or disrespect of a coach can have an affect on Ws & Ls

It can matter

• Upvote 3

34 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

I like Gase.  Personality wise I always have.  Wins/loss needs to improve but I think he's far from unlikeable.

He’s one of the more well-spoken coaches and he has a way better personality than most think. His players clearly like him for the most part. Of course this doesn’t fit the fun “Gase is an autistic dick” narrative.

Problem is, he’s supposed to be a good offensive coach and his offenses are terrible year after year. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Respect or disrespect of a coach can have an affect on Ws & Ls

It can matter

And how would you or I know if it's "having an effect" then and what that effect is?

Hint:  We can't,  We have no way, as fans, to know or to judge "respect" of a Coach by the players in any real way.  No, hater and fluff articles are not a valid evaluation tool of "respect"

So again, we're back to:  Wins.  Losses.  Production.

That is what matters.

• Sympathy 1

The only thing that matters is the results.  There have been coaches who:

- Were nice guys and ace communicators.

- Were coddlers

- Were assholes who berated you.

- Were guys who did not talk to you.

- Were great leaders of men

- Were not great leaders of men but were studious football geniuses.

Gase is not good or bad because he does or does not talk to players who need head pats.

He is an offensive coach who's offenses suck, that is why he is a bad coach for the NY Jets

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, T0mShane said:

On a serious note, it really sounds like Gase has turned a corner somewhere along the way, and he’s not nearly as combative. Good to see. Maybe those lonely simp fans who need their coaches to also be their pretend friends will chill out a little bit.

"I like a HC who I'd feel comfortable having a beer with."

Also,

"I still keep those cards my Dad would send with $5 in it every birthday."

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Jetluv58 said:

Except when he sulks through press conferences with his head down and leaves never saying thanks.  I get zero personality out of that.

Because we are used to the oodles of personality exuded by Bowles at his PCs?  Seriously, Rex spoiled us.

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Perhaps it doesn’t fit a narrative because it has nothing to do with Gase’s criticisms: that his career to date as an OC and a HC are absolutely atrocious without Peyton Manning as his QB.

The criticism is that his ex players hated him,  Stills was allegedly one of those guys.  So it defeats that narrative

• Upvote 2