NY Jet Cycle of Life:

Draft beast player early that 'fell to us'

Sign High priced Vets

Shed awful lazy underachieving high priced vets

Sign High priced Vets

Do not pick up the 5th year option of beast draft picks cause they suck

Yes, you nailed it!!

But that was before, not now!  In Joe Douglas we trust!

• Upvote 4

i suppose adams is scratching his head wondering why the jets didn't match his contract demands.  the cap does nothing if it's not spent but then there also has to be players that are worth spending it on.  plus darnold is getting close to his renegotiation .  he has two season to show enough so he can get the watson money. the bottom line is that 60 million in cap space can disappear pretty quickly.

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

NY Jet Cycle of Life:

Draft beast player early that 'fell to us'

Sign High priced Vets

Sign High priced Vets

Do not pick up the 5th year option of beast draft picks cause they suck

The biggest issue during this decade long downturn has been the ability to draft in rounds 2-7. 

95 percent of those picks have been flushed down the toilet. 

• Post of the Week 4

13 minutes ago, slats said:

Over $21M, plus Mosley got $10M before coviding out. 

Especially with the lower cap expected next year. There will be teams doing restructurings and cuts to get under the cap, while teams like the Jets will be able to take advantage in what will be a buyers' market. This is why I'm willing to have patience this year. If Joe D hit on more than he missed in the draft and free agency, next off season is going to be very exciting with all those picks and cap space. Next season could actually be exciting, too! This one's all about taking that step forward; Darnold, protected by the likes of Becton, McGovern, and Fant, throwing to Perriman and Mims. If that's working out, the team should be expected to really compete next year. 

Minshew was better than Darnold last year.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 3
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, slats said:

Over $21M, plus Mosley got $10M before coviding out. 

Especially with the lower cap expected next year. There will be teams doing restructurings and cuts to get under the cap, while teams like the Jets will be able to take advantage in what will be a buyers' market. This is why I'm willing to have patience this year. If Joe D hit on more than he missed in the draft and free agency, next off season is going to be very exciting with all those picks and cap space. Next season could actually be exciting, too! This one's all about taking that step forward; Darnold, protected by the likes of Becton, McGovern, and Fant, throwing to Perriman and Mims. If that's working out, the team should be expected to really compete next year. 

This is the critical point.  The FA class next year doesn't look particularly good.  Allen Robinson is about the only top WR I see on the list.  Maybe Sammy Watkins or Kenny Stills if they have a good season this year.  Beyond that, there are a few names but it's not a particularly bountiful crop.  

However, if teams that are maxxed out on cap now suddenly find themselves $20MM over, there will be either fire-sale trades or outright cuts of good starters and teams like the Jags, Jets, Colts (yes, they currently have the most space in 2021) and *ugh* Patriots will be in the best position to capitalize.  

The Eagle and Saints are already $30M over the cap for 2021.  ATL, KC and HOU are going to be tight and I'm not sure if HOU's # represents the Watson deal yet.  The Saints have a lot of  good players that they are going to have to make some hard choices on in particular.  It's a little of a bummer that all of the top teams in terms of space are AFC, but I would expect some opportunities to flip a pick for a solid starter will appear depending on how much the cap is impacted.

9 minutes ago, CTJetsFan said:

I thought there was a minimum (% of cap) that each team had to spend? Was that adjusted down for this season?

Cap runs in four year cycles with money carrying over, so they have to hit the minimum, total, over the course of those four years, not in each individual one. 

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Rhg1084 said:

Also, why couldn’t we give Clowney a 1 year $20m contract? What’s the point in having all this cap space for this year especially if it would’ve been another 1 year deal coming off books next year. We could’ve gotten a conditional pick if he walked 

I'm  wondering why NO ONE has signed Clowney yet - despite what a player he is supposed to be. Maybe there is some tidbit of info circulating among NFL GM's that the general public does not know that is keeping them from whipping out their checkbooks. Or, he's just being an unrealistic guy who's talked himself out of a job. I read too that he just changed agents.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, rangerous said:

i suppose adams is scratching his head wondering why the jets didn't match his contract demands.  the cap does nothing if it's not spent but then there also has to be players that are worth spending it on.  plus darnold is getting close to his renegotiation .  he has two season to show enough so he can get the watson money. the bottom line is that 60 million in cap space can disappear pretty quickly.

You can carry unused cap space into following years. There is a strategy to not spending cap space aside from not capping out.

5 minutes ago, Bungaman said:

I'm  wondering why NO ONE has signed Clowney yet - despite what a player he is supposed to be. Maybe there is some tidbit of info circulating among NFL GM's that the general public does not know that is keeping them from whipping out their checkbooks. Or, he's just being an unrealistic guy who's talked himself out of a job. I read too that he just changed agents.

• Titans signed DL Jadeveon Clowney to a one-year, $15 million contract.

Clowney got more than the $12 million that was first reported. This looks highly incentivized, but it's a good deal for Clowney after going unsigned through training camp. Clowney had only three sacks in an injury-filled 2019, but he gives Tennessee a quality edge rusher. With seven days before the start of the season, Clowney isn't a lock to be active in Week 1.

SOURCE: ESPN
    Sep 6, 2020, 9:05 AM ET

•  

1 minute ago, Embrace the Suck said:

You can carry unused cap space into following years. There is a strategy to not spending cap space aside from not capping out.

that's true and it's a good reason for building it up for a day when there are players available.  plus we don't know how the next cba is going to turn out.  this covid thing has no doubt given teams something to think about with regard to the future gate receipts and tv contract.  we'll see if douglas can parlay the cap space into a consistently winning team.