Jump to content

Jets have the second lowest payroll in the league


Rhg1084
 Share

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Rhg1084 said:

Also, why couldn’t we give Clowney a 1 year $20m contract? What’s the point in having all this cap space for this year especially if it would’ve been another 1 year deal coming off books next year. We could’ve gotten a conditional pick if he walked 

1) Clowney still might have declined even that offer.  Recall that he reportedly turned down a significant offer from the Browns.  He wanted to go to a place where he's confident he can make the playoffs and then hope to earn a long-term deal in 2021.

2) With the cap going down next offseason, we can't depend on compensatory picks at all.  There will be very few teams with the cap space to sign a bunch of our many UFA's.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, GreekJet said:

The biggest issue during this decade long downturn has been the ability to draft in rounds 2-7. 
 

95 percent of those picks have been flushed down the toilet. 

The 1st rounders were no great shakes, either, especially when you consider how high we were picking most years.  Sure, we hit on Wilkerson, Richardson, and maybe Darnold.  But we also whiffed horribly on Kyle Wilson, Coples, Dee Milliner, Calvin Pryor, Leonard Williams, Darron Lee, and very likely Quinnen Williams.  That's an awful first round hit rate.

And even if you consider the Adams pick a "hit", it was still a bad pick because of who we passed on.

Compare that to a franchise like the Ravens, who is always picking in the back end of the 1st.  In that span they hit on C.J. Mosley, Ronnie Stanley, Marlon Humphrey, Lamar Jackson, and Marquise Brown.  Jimmy Smith is on the border between a hit and a miss depending on how you look at it.  Their only misses in the 1st in that span were Matt Elam, Breshad Perriman, and maybe Hayden Hurst (who should do well in Atlanta).  

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Beerfish said:

NY Jet Cycle of Life:

Draft beast player early that 'fell to us'

Sign High priced Vets

Shed awful lazy underachieving high priced vets

Sign High priced Vets

Shed awful lazy underachieving high priced vets

Do not pick up the 5th year option of beast draft picks cause they suck

Intersting. And to imagine that was my comfort zone. 

Thew only one on that list that JD has adhered to is shedding the lazy high priced vets.  Not a bad start. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

The 1st rounders were no great shakes, either, especially when you consider how high we were picking most years.  Sure, we hit on Wilkerson, Richardson, and maybe Darnold.  But we also whiffed horribly on Kyle Wilson, Coples, Dee Milliner, Calvin Pryor, Leonard Williams, Darron Lee, and very likely Quinnen Williams.  That's an awful first round hit rate.

And even if you consider the Adams pick a "hit", it was still a bad pick because of who we passed on.

Compare that to a franchise like the Ravens, who is always picking in the back end of the 1st.  In that span they hit on C.J. Mosley, Ronnie Stanley, Marlon Humphrey, Lamar Jackson, and Marquise Brown.  Jimmy Smith is on the border between a hit and a miss depending on how you look at it.  Their only misses in the 1st in that span were Matt Elam, Breshad Perriman, and maybe Hayden Hurst (who should do well in Atlanta).  

...and they have the rings to prove it .... oh wait a sec ...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, Rhg1084 said:


Smart not to load up the cap this year when we’re not ready to compete. I’d hope that the next couple of years were ready to bring in some big time WRs, edge rushers, or CBs 

Smart too given the uncertainty of the cap next year.  We can actually be players in a season where LOTS of teams will lose big pieces because of cap space issues.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

Are you saying the Jets automatically can't win this year because of the lowest cap space?

Yes. But it’s not just cause of that. It’s cause that have one of the worst rosters in football. Maybe that correlates to the cap number being so low?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This lowest payroll/the Jets are cheap argument might have some validity in other years, but I -personally- have zero issue with Joe Douglas bucking the trend of every halfwit GM this team has had since Parcells, spending huge money in free agency for short term results. Especially in this pandemic year with next year's cap a genuine mystery. The Jets are a young team right now, with a lot of guys fighting to prove themselves over the course of the season. A couple of them will get extensions during the year. A couple more will earn jobs they didn't have when camp broke. And then next year, the Jets will be one of the few actual players in free agency while also having five picks in the top 100 in the draft. And two first rounders again in 2022! 

Is this set up to be a wonderful year? No, it's not. But any big spending probably wouldn't've made the year a lot more wonderful, and would've put a crimp in Joe D's long term plans. If his draft picks look like the real deal in game action, if guys like Perriman and Fant exceed the low expectations around here for them, I'm gonna feel pretty good about where the team is headed even if we have a few rough Sundays. 

  • Post of the Week 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, T0mShane said:

What the hell did the Bills spend all that money on?

Just imagine if the Jets win Sunday. 206 million- 141 million. Jets have 4 total 1st round picks in 2021/2022. 

2021 is a buyers market, just look around the league at all of the 1 year deals. Top teams over the cap will be cutting very good players. I love that JD isn't playing the SIGN THAT BEAST game this team plays every year. Develop some of our own players, keep feeding the pipeline with draft picks. 

Looking at the Bills salary cap, they won't even be close to the same team in Josh Allens contract year. JD want to own this division. Belichick will retire within 3 years.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Looking at the Bills salary cap, they won't even be close to the same team in Josh Allens contract year. JD want to own this division. Belichick will retire within 3 years.

When Josh Allen and his 56% career completion percentage is asking for Deshaun Watson money, that's going to be a good time up in BUF.

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Rhg1084 said:

Yes. But it’s not just cause of that. It’s cause that have one of the worst rosters in football. Maybe that correlates to the cap number being so low?

The biggest reason is the lack of extending draft picks made years ago, not the lack of going balls deep with the 2020 FA class. As much as some will whine about trading Adams for future picks having something to do with this, the reality is Seattle didn't bump his 2020 pay any more than the Jets.

So the only other way is to outbid others for the players with whom their original teams were willing to part ways. Those players can still pay off in a big way, and several do every year, but it's not the norm. Usually we'll end up with the likes of Trumaine Johnson & Terrelle Pryor. But hey, at least it won't be cap space, which is somehow seen by some as an automatic good. 

The one I would have liked to see them grab is Conklin, but for all I know that would've blown up in the Jets' faces anyway. I would have been behind them extending R.Anderson - mostly out of concern the team might have seen fit to start 2 rookies as many wanted, and figuring he'd only get 1 yr guaranteed for skill anyway - but Perriman should be fine as a replacement. I didn't quite understand the unwillingness to part with him for a mid-round pick when we were all but mathematically eliminated, and then 2 months later an unwillingness to keep him with one guaranteed season, but hopefully it works out better this way and RA wouldn't have added so much more than Perriman to this year's payroll. 

Part of it, I'm sure, is the desire to give the rookies a bit more of a leg up while they're inexperienced, rather than keeping a higher-upside as a backup because right away a veteran's experience still makes him a bit better player. So, see what we've got in our lesser-priced players, and then fill in with more expensive veterans to fill in the blanks, rather than fill in with whatever vets we can get in here and then either position-draft around them or redundant-position-draft in spite of having them. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, Jethead said:

a) Woody is a cheap sob

b) Nobody worth spending $ on

c) all of the above

c) 

I'll never forget Woody's comment “John is using the cash that he has,” Johnson told reporters. “Number one, he has some obligations going forward, as you guys know. But it’s really trying to find the best value and the best fit for the team, and not just wantonly spending in free agency. Our culture is one of building ourselves. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Look, I am glad our OL may finally be respectable, and I understand sticking to the plan for the future.  Consider tho you cannot predict the future, you cannot guaranty draft picks will always be hits and if they are you cannot guaranty their success will be sustainable as injuries and Jamal Adams like scenarios can unfold.

Also consider this could end up being an exceptionally weird NFL season - what if top teams have covid outbreaks opening the door for lessor teams to rise?

My point is, you should always play to win, not to quote Herman, but our "franchise" QB has not had a decent supporting cast since he was drafted.   Would it have killed us to add one more WR so we are not relying on a rookie, a TE who has potential but hasn't played in two years, a TE coming off major ankle surgery who most likely lost a step or two and an oft-injured journeyman for Sam to work with?   Also, would it have killed the future to a sign one edge rusher? 

Complacent with complacency?

Is the real plan to stink this year and then trade Darnold? 

Oh and BTW, what if Darnold's agent demands a renegotiation after the season? 

On a side note, I personally do not buy into the theory that the Pats will tank this year.  I bet they work miracles with Cam Netwon and their offense will be much improved over last season.  Newton still has a cannon and those shallow crossers that Brady couldn't hit last year will now be effective again.  Winovich is an animal and watch Copeland become a sack machine.  I see NE going 11-5, the Bills 10-6, Miami 8-8, the Jets at 7-9.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, deucebag said:

Look, I am glad our OL may finally be respectable, and I understand sticking to the plan for the future.  Consider tho you cannot predict the future, you cannot guaranty draft picks will always be hits and if they are you cannot guaranty their success will be sustainable as injuries and Jamal Adams like scenarios can unfold.

Also consider this could end up being an exceptionally weird NFL season - what if top teams have covid outbreaks opening the door for lessor teams to rise?

My point is, you should always play to win, not to quote Herman, but our "franchise" QB has not had a decent supporting cast since he was drafted.   Would it have killed us to add one more WR so we are not relying on a rookie, a TE who has potential but hasn't played in two years, a TE coming off major ankle surgery who most likely lost a step or two and an oft-injured journeyman for Sam to work with?   Also, would it have killed the future to a sign one edge rusher? 

Complacent with complacency?

Is the real plan to stink this year and then trade Darnold? 

Oh and BTW, what if Darnold's agent demands a renegotiation after the season? 

On a side note, I personally do not buy into the theory that the Pats will tank this year.  I bet they work miracles with Cam Netwon and their offense will be much improved over last season.  Newton still has a cannon and those shallow crossers that Brady couldn't hit last year will now be effective again.  Winovich is an animal and watch Copeland become a sack machine.  I see NE going 11-5, the Bills 10-6, Miami 8-8, the Jets at 7-9.

So Cam Newton is going to go from Shoulder surgery & a Lis Franc fracture to Cam of old? I guess it could happen but I don't see it. And there is no way that Pats defense is as good as last year without Van Noy, Hightower, Collins, Chung. I think our Oline is at least 40% better than last year. Beachum couldn't handle Guy & I think Becton can (more worried about the speedy edge rushers). 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, deucebag said:

Look, I am glad our OL may finally be respectable, and I understand sticking to the plan for the future.  Consider tho you cannot predict the future, you cannot guaranty draft picks will always be hits and if they are you cannot guaranty their success will be sustainable as injuries and Jamal Adams like scenarios can unfold.

Also consider this could end up being an exceptionally weird NFL season - what if top teams have covid outbreaks opening the door for lessor teams to rise?

My point is, you should always play to win, not to quote Herman, but our "franchise" QB has not had a decent supporting cast since he was drafted.   Would it have killed us to add one more WR so we are not relying on a rookie, a TE who has potential but hasn't played in two years, a TE coming off major ankle surgery who most likely lost a step or two and an oft-injured journeyman for Sam to work with?   Also, would it have killed the future to a sign one edge rusher? 

Complacent with complacency?

Is the real plan to stink this year and then trade Darnold? 

Oh and BTW, what if Darnold's agent demands a renegotiation after the season? 

On a side note, I personally do not buy into the theory that the Pats will tank this year.  I bet they work miracles with Cam Netwon and their offense will be much improved over last season.  Newton still has a cannon and those shallow crossers that Brady couldn't hit last year will now be effective again.  Winovich is an animal and watch Copeland become a sack machine.  I see NE going 11-5, the Bills 10-6, Miami 8-8, the Jets at 7-9.

Name the players we missed out on. The biggest cash-in player in FA among non-slot WRs was Robby Anderson, followed by Perriman, from the 2020 UFA class. Teams don't typically let good outside WRs hit UFA. The best ones that are usually available are slot receivers and Crowder is no worse than those available. 

Thing is, "relying on a rookie" also means the rookie isn't going to be stuck behind a meh veteran whose experience makes him a better receiver this year. Then next year we don't really know if Mims can handle a starting role, so we sign some other low-ceiling veteran in his spot for the same reason as this year, and around & around we go. 

Let's see what he brings before we're already replacing him. In hindsight I'm sure at least one of the available UFA WRs will look like a great steal in hindsight, but we'll only know which in hindsight (e.g. Agholor). Douglas signed one would-be starter in Perriman and one spot-starter in Hogan. We all would prefer if the WR Fairy dropped an all-pro onto our lap, but there was none. Typically you have to draft them because teams rarely let them go, and even if they do they cost 1st rounders to pry loose for the privilege of offering the contract Adams wants.

e.g. if the Jets rather than KC had signed Sammy Watkins it would have (rightly) been seen as a Same Old Jets type move, right along with Tru Johnson and plenty of other bust veteran deals. 

As far as edge rusher, NE is great because - in leaving the same cap room available we did - they let go of Jamie Collins and replaced him with Brandon Copeland? If that's a successful move it's because of coaching, not spending. 

The rest of this is nonsense, like the notion that the Jets are tanking to then trade Darnold. They could have quite easily traded him this year if that was the goal. Every year the team isn't going all-in doesn't make it a tanking effort. There's something in between, which is where they're at: not close enough to use more resources for the 2020 season while wanting to see what they've got before rushing to spend on players who might not be an upgrade or might not be more than a one-year bandaid. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...