Jets have the second lowest payroll in the league

Rhg1084

1 hour ago, Jetster said:

So Cam Newton is going to go from Shoulder surgery & a Lis Franc fracture to Cam of old? I guess it could happen but I don't see it. And there is no way that Pats defense is as good as last year without Van Noy, Hightower, Collins, Chung. I think our Oline is at least 40% better than last year. Beachum couldn't handle Guy & I think Becton can (more worried about the speedy edge rushers). 

But they have Brandon Copeland, bra

7 hours ago, Dunnie said:

...and they have the rings to prove it .... oh wait a sec ...

They Won Super Bowls in 2000 and 2012, and got one of the best young QB's in the league with a late 1st.  I'd say they know what they're doing.  It's not their fault they had their path blocked in the AFC constantly by the cheating Patriots.  

I could use the Chiefs if you want an equally good example and a team that just won recently.  

6 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Name the players we missed out on. The biggest cash-in player in FA among non-slot WRs was Robby Anderson, followed by Perriman, from the 2020 UFA class. Teams don't typically let good outside WRs hit UFA. The best ones that are usually available are slot receivers and Crowder is no worse than those available. 

Thing is, "relying on a rookie" also means the rookie isn't going to be stuck behind a meh veteran whose experience makes him a better receiver this year. Then next year we don't really know if Mims can handle a starting role, so we sign some other low-ceiling veteran in his spot for the same reason as this year, and around & around we go. 

Let's see what he brings before we're already replacing him. In hindsight I'm sure at least one of the available UFA WRs will look like a great steal in hindsight, but we'll only know which in hindsight (e.g. Agholor). Douglas signed one would-be starter in Perriman and one spot-starter in Hogan. We all would prefer if the WR Fairy dropped an all-pro onto our lap, but there was none. Typically you have to draft them because teams rarely let them go, and even if they do they cost 1st rounders to pry loose for the privilege of offering the contract Adams wants.

e.g. if the Jets rather than KC had signed Sammy Watkins it would have (rightly) been seen as a Same Old Jets type move, right along with Tru Johnson and plenty of other bust veteran deals. 

As far as edge rusher, NE is great because - in leaving the same cap room available we did - they let go of Jamie Collins and replaced him with Brandon Copeland? If that's a successful move it's because of coaching, not spending. 

The rest of this is nonsense, like the notion that the Jets are tanking to then trade Darnold. They could have quite easily traded him this year if that was the goal. Every year the team isn't going all-in doesn't make it a tanking effort. There's something in between, which is where they're at: not close enough to use more resources for the 2020 season while wanting to see what they've got before rushing to spend on players who might not be an upgrade or might not be more than a one-year bandaid. 

Excellent post. 
JD has at least stopped the merry go round of buying a bunch of free agents & having absolutely zero depth, very little cap room, and getting stuck with sh*tty quitters like Trumaine Johnson. 
When I look at our TEs (Herndon/Griffin/Wesco) that’s a pretty versatile group. 
Running Backs (Bell/Gore/Perine) pretty damn good, if we hit on Mims & JD nails another stud in 2021, we could finally be at least back to the 80s with Toon & Walker. 
We just may see a Mims, Juju + rookie stud? 
Let’s please stick to the process, Idzik was an idiot that couldn’t draft to save his life & then Macc went right back to crazy free agent ways that started with the likes of Leonard Marshall, Ronnie Lott & Art Monk days! Other teams aging stars. 
I have patience with JD because I want to OWN this division! For once in my life. I’ve seen Miami, Bills & Pats own this division. 
We’re on the cusp I believe because I think we have the right QB (only 23), a smart GM, and I think unlike others that Gase can win with a lineup that can protect the QB. 
We’ll see.