Saints essentially attempted to sell a Draft pick in order to pull off Jadeveon Clowney trade

jetstream23

30 minutes ago, Aaron Hernandez said:

"The other team essentially would have been "buying" a draft pick, which the NFL has never allowed."

The Browns did it with the Osweiler trade 3 years ago.

15 minutes ago, LionelRichie said:

I’ve been a proponent of this move for years, I never knew the league could veto it 

10 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

NFL making things up on the fly again I bet.  I would imagine according to letter of the rules that trade should be allowed.   A player and a pick for a player.  (Of course i could be wrong.)

The problem the league likely had with it is that there would be multiple contingencies.  The Browns would have to sign Clowney AND trade him to New Orleans AND take on a Saints' player whose salary would give NO enough room to fit Clowney in under the cap.  And all of that would have somehow had to come to the league in writing.  I'm sure they were concerned about the precedent it would set for teams trying to game the system.

But I'm sure there still would/should have been a way to make it happen.

I'm curious which "cap casualty" New Orleans would have sent over in the trade?  The only guy that would make any sense would be C Nick Easton ($5.3M cap savings).  He's currently listed as the backup C behind Erik McCoy, plus the team just drafted C/G Cesar Ruiz in the 1st round.

The Saints currently have under $10M in space so even that likely wouldn't have gotten the job done.

If the cap goes down to $175M next season, or even $200M, it's gonna be armageddon for that franchise next offseason.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, LionelRichie said:

I’ve been a proponent of this move for years, I never knew the league could veto it 

Well they didn’t veto it. But if Saints wanted permission for a sign and trade for a pick, then the intention was clear. Had the other team not asked for permission, it would’ve been a reasonable trade for a second round AND another player for Clowney less signing bonus. A players contract makes a huge difference in trade negotiations. With JC already collecting his signing bonus in TN, and if Saints offer the same deal to them, league shouldn’t have an issue. 

3 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

lol GFY Saints.  Maybe next time try to stay under the cap.

Right man.  The article says Micky Loomis is being creative.  It's not creative. It's an attempt to break the rules because he's up against the cap. There is a reason the cap exists. It's so dick holes like this can't just stock pile players and essentially buy championships.  

It's also a good idea to try to only have refs that are fans of your team ref your games. Is that being creative too?  

I heard the other team was the Cleveland Browns.  But on the other end, if the NFL did allow such a ridiculous thing to take place this would be a good year for JD to go for such a thing. Go ahead and use the boat load of money to gain an extra 2nd while gaining the money back. 

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I'm curious which "cap casualty" New Orleans would have sent over in the trade?  The only guy that would make any sense would be C Nick Easton ($5.3M cap savings).  He's currently listed as the backup C behind Erik McCoy, plus the team just drafted C/G Cesar Ruiz in the 1st round.

The Saints currently have under $10M in space so even that likely wouldn't have gotten the job done.

If the cap goes down to $175M next season, or even $200M, it's gonna be armageddon for that franchise next offseason.

It’s why I believe Douglas is playing that game. Teams will panic in 2021, The Pats and Jets are in the best position to hoover up cap casualties.

41 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

Anyone else remember when Clowney's knees were preventing his dominance in the pre draft consensus ? Should be a lesson learned.

yeah seriously if a college player has injury issues that are cronic you should never take that chance just like we did with Dwayne Robertson and Milliner . Both terrible choices

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, GREENBEAN said:

Right man.  The article says Micky Loomis is being creative.  It's not creative. It's an attempt to break the rules because he's up against the cap. There is a reason the cap exists. It's so dick holes like this can't just stock pile players and essentially buy championships.  

It's also a good idea to try to only have refs that are fans of your team ref your games. Is that being creative too?  

I heard the other team was the Cleveland Browns.  But on the other end, if the NFL did allow such a ridiculous thing to take place this would be a good year for JD to go for such a thing. Go ahead and use the boat load of money to gain an extra 2nd while gaining the money back. 

I'll tell ya, I like the idea. Why shouldn't teams with a well managed cap use their position to buy a draft pick here & there? As you said, I'd've loved it if it was Joe D securing two picks in each of the first three rounds next year for a bit of cap space. 

3 hours ago, slats said:

I'll tell ya, I like the idea. Why shouldn't teams with a well managed cap use their position to buy a draft pick here & there? As you said, I'd've loved it if it was Joe D securing two picks in each of the first three rounds next year for a bit of cap space. 

I think because it represents a way for a team to circumvent the cap.  Yes it will cost them draft picks, but it does blow the competitive balance up in a specific season.  I can't blame the league for frowning on that. 

• Upvote 1