Bills Vs Jets Week 1

hamat711

1 hour ago, johnnyjet said:

Jets win going away. 31-20 Josh Allen hits 3 cardboard fans in the stands completes 51% of his passes if you include them. Gets a garbage time td as the Jets go to the 2nd stringers.  Sam finishes game sacked once. No pics. Bell will rush for 99 yards 

Bills fans will burn their picnic tables at home. 

Imagine a brand new o-line that has never played a game together gives up 1 sack lol

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, DonMaynardFan said:

If you could sell your delusional optimism in a bottle, I’d buy it by the case.

This is going to be a thoroughly enjoyable season.  The delusion is that we're not the best team in the division when all evidence says we are.

SAR I

• Upvote 3
  • WTF? 2

56 minutes ago, DonMaynardFan said:

Wait, what?

Darnold, Bell, Crowder, Anderson, Maye, Adams, Poole, Copeland, Quinnen, etc all played.

The inactive list for that game was only Lewis (ankle), Compton (calf), Thomas (hamstring/ knee), Countess, Travis, Willis, Dixon (illness), and Jackson

List all the Jets players on IR by Week 17.

SAR I

10 hours ago, SAR I said:

List all the Jets players on IR by Week 17.

SAR I

I assume you mean starting players.

Off the top of my head, I can remember Mosley, Enunwa, Herndon, Williamson, and Winters. 

I'm sure i'm missing something, but either way your claim that we trotted all our 4th/5th stringers is silly.

A lot of backups went to IR too but as far as starters go, the majority played in Week 17.

3 pages of almost complete nonsense.

Anyway, I mentioned this in the other thread (talking about the actual matchups) but contrary to the poster who said hes not the starter, it looks like it will be Winters at RG and Cody Ford at RT.  GW needs to take advantage of that matchup as Winters is a huge liability out there. 

Both of the Bills #2 CBs are also banged up with hamstring injuries, so the injury report will be big for both teams.  Sam/Gase can just stay away from White all game and go after whoever the other CB is but the Bills also have solid safeties.  

2 hours ago, DonMaynardFan said:

I assume you mean starting players.

Off the top of my head, I can remember Mosley, Enunwa, Herndon, Williamson, and Winters. 

I'm sure i'm missing something, but either way your claim that we trotted all our 4th/5th stringers is silly.

A lot of backups went to IR too but as far as starters go, the majority played in Week 17.

The Jets were the most injured team in the NFL last year and had 20 players on IR in Week 17 last year:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/nyj/2019_injuries.htm

Big picture, it wasn't the Jets varsity on the field against the Bills JV last December.  The win was a good accomplishment because the Jets were an inferior team at that moment.  Not the case right now.  If we're healthy, if our WR's can run their routes, watch out.

SAR I

i've been a gloom and doomer all offseason, that being said the Jets will keep this close just because it's divisional 

they won't really be in danger of winning but they will backdoor cover the 7 points or whatever 

friendly advice don't play week 1 until there's actual data/film on these teams 

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, BurnleyJet said:

Only blind homers like SAR1, picks the Jets in this sh*t fest. Also with no pre-season the first months going to be ugly. I will be impressed if we score an offensive Touchdown.

I've never been a blind homer.  I'm merely objective. 

The Jets would have held on to beat the Bills in Week 1, gone 10-6, and taken the Bills playoff spot last year if we were healthy.  That's the baseline for this season.  The Bills have a slight edge on defense, the Jets have a big edge at quarterback.  We take a step back because of Adams, but a big step forward because of Darnold being in the same system and 18 players on IR coming back.

As for what games will look like without a preseason, I don't buy it because so few starters get any time in preseason anyway.  They play 1 series in Game 1, 1 series in Game 2, a half in Game 3, and they sit for Game 4.  That can all be made up for in practice.  The Jets are angry because they have something to prove, the Bills are overconfident because of the hype, look for the Jets to score early and the Bills to panic.  They don't beat playoff teams and the Jets are a playoff team.

SAR I

• WTF? 1

35 minutes ago, SAR I said:

The Jets were the most injured team in the NFL last year and had 20 players on IR in Week 17 last year:

Big picture, it wasn't the Jets varsity on the field against the Bills JV last December.  The win was a good accomplishment because the Jets were an inferior team at that moment.  Not the case right now.  If we're healthy, if our WR's can run their routes, watch out.

SAR I

Definitely. But like 15 or 16 of those 20 were backups and 3rd stringers. Some of them were training camp players that were injured before the season even started.

Actual starters were what? 4? 5?

Fact is, that game was not a JV Jets team. The majority of Jet's starters were on the field.

1 minute ago, DonMaynardFan said:

Definitely. But like 15 or 16 of those 20 were backups and 3rd stringers. Some of them were training camp players that were injured before the season even started.

Actual starters were what? 4? 5?

Fact is, that game was not a JV Jets team. The majority of Jet's starters were on the field.

As always, the Internet delivers.

Those last few weeks we were missing the following 'starters' as in who did or was supposed to start the season:

• Enunwa
  • Herndon
  • Tru Johnson
  • Kalil
  • Mosley
  • Williamson
  • Winters

Add to that we had guys like Beachum, Winters, McClendon, DT and Henry Anderson injured and either playing through it or missing time.

It was pretty bad.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, SAR I said:

This is going to be a thoroughly enjoyable season.  The delusion is that we're not the best team in the division when all evidence says we are.

SAR I

You can't spell "rose-colored glasses" without S, A, and R.  :)

Tbh, though, I'd like to borrow a pair.

• Haha 1

No, this is the mic drop moment:
Josh Allen has beaten exactly 1 team with a winning record in his entire career.  Your scrawny running back owns the Tennessee Titans.  Lucky for you they are on your schedule this year.
SAR I
The vitriol in this post is sumptuous ... Please save for posterity.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, RaoulDuke said:

1st drive we'll look awesome, then unprepared.

False starts, 12 men..

If there is one thing Adam Gase did right last year it was taking a constantly changing ragtag group of backups and injured players and putting them in a position to help Sam Darnold move the ball and win games each week.

It's the perfect parallel to this no-games limited-contact preseason.  You couldn't ask for a better head coach with recent experience in the art to get an under-prepared offense prepared for a real game.  It's the Bills that haven't experienced this.  It's been smooth sailing for their coaching staff up to now.  The Bills are the ones that may look rusty, not the Jets.

SAR I

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1

1 hour ago, nycdan said:

As always, the Internet delivers.

Those last few weeks we were missing the following 'starters' as in who did or was supposed to start the season:

• Enunwa
  • Herndon
  • Tru Johnson
  • Kalil
  • Mosley
  • Williamson
  • Winters

Add to that we had guys like Beachum, Winters, McClendon, DT and Henry Anderson injured and either playing through it or missing time.

It was pretty bad.

Damn, I have a good memory. 

I got all of them except for Tru and Kalil.

So yeah, 15 of 22 starters were playing.

15 of 22 starters playing does not equal "The Jets were playing with all their 4th and 5th stringers" like SAR I said.

2 minutes ago, DonMaynardFan said:

Damn, I have a good memory. 

I got all of them except for Tru and Kalil.

So yeah, 15 of 22 starters were playing.

15 of 22 starters playing does not equal "The Jets were playing with all their 4th and 5th stringers" like SAR I said.

Yes, but of those 15, 5 of them were in various states of injury, either listed as Doubtful or Questionable, or missing a few games in that stretch.  You could argue that less than half the original starting 22 were both playing and healthy.  Not as bad as characterized, but far worse than usual for that time of year.

9 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Yes, but of those 15, 5 of them were in various states of injury, either listed as Doubtful or Questionable, or missing a few games in that stretch.  You could argue that less than half the original starting 22 were both playing and healthy.  Not as bad as characterized, but far worse than usual for that time of year.

I mean, that's every team in the NFL.

This isn't hopskotch.

This is football.

Players play through injuries. 

My point remains, saying "The Jets were playing with all their 4th and 5th stringers" like SAR I is just wrong. Plain and simple.

That didnt' happen.

• Post of the Week 1

On 9/7/2020 at 11:34 AM, SAR I said:

The Jets beat the Bills 2nd and 3rd string using their 4th and 5th string.  That's what never gets said.  The team the Jets put on the field was far worse than the team the Bills put on the field that day, and we won.  It's actually a nice accomplishment, means our roster is deeper than most give it credit for.

And history shows you should have started your starters.  Considering how pathetic the Bills are in the playoffs you needed all the practice you could get.

Josh Allen isn't a quarterback.  You are running a gadget offense that doesn't take long for NFL defensive coordinators to figure out, and Allen is one hit away from a season ending knee injury.  We've seen this before.  RGIII, Michael Vick, cheap QB scramble yards look smart until they aren't.

As a Jets fan I am an absolute expert on the promise of a phony playoff team.  The Bills are the very definition of this.  

Jets
Giants
Bengals
Titans
Dolphins
Redskins
Dolphins
Broncos
Cowboys
Steelers

That's what you're hanging your hat on, the weakest 10 wins in the NFL.  And your humiliation in Houston confirms that the Bills weren't a playoff team last year and certainly aren't this year.  The Jets have the promise of possibly being a playoff team; we know the Bills aren't.

SAR I

Why is this guy allowed to speak on this board? Jesus dude, you are a straight homer. Look at the Jets starters and find which ones would start on the bills, id say you can arguably choose 3 (If an unproven Becton counts). Youve got Bell (arguably), Quinnen (Arguably), and Bekton (Arguably). Would I personally take Sam over Allen on that roster from what we've seen? Nope. Would I take Maye over the two stud safeties the bills have? Not a chance, Hyde is awesome and Poyer is probably the most underrated Safety in the NFL. Any offensive weapons? Maybe Herndon, but he has not played in a long time and that dude Knox seemed to flash some huge potential. Their roster is significantly better than ours. SIGNIFICANTLY. In a year where continuity is more important than ever, they replaced 3 starters? One of which is a huge upgrade and one of the best deep threats in the NFL. Sadly, this is going to be a beatdown. I see a lot of better players on their offense then our defense, and their defense is full of studs. 

The jets BARELY beat the Bills backups last year, what makes you think they could beat the bills roster from last year? Had it not been for a few bad/freak turnovers, our offense wouldn't have done anything against them week 1 last year. Almost half our points came because the ball conveniently hit off Beasley's thigh pad and right into CJ's hands. Allen was marching the ball down the field on us twice before they fumbled. (One of which was completely on the center). We can pretend and say "had Mosley not gotten hurt we would have won", but the Bills fans can say "Had that ball not bounced off beasley's pad, you would have scored less than 10 points in that game." and thats just as valid an argument.  

16 hours ago, DonMaynardFan said:

Wait, what?

Darnold, Bell, Crowder, Anderson, Maye, Adams, Poole, Copeland, Quinnen, etc all played.

The inactive list for that game was only Lewis (ankle), Compton (calf), Thomas (hamstring/ knee), Countess, Travis, Willis, Dixon (illness), and Jackson

thats a lot more starters than the bills put out for more than 1 drive in that game

4 hours ago, SAR I said:

If there is one thing Adam Gase did right last year it was taking a constantly changing ragtag group of backups and injured players and putting them in a position to help Sam Darnold move the ball and win games each week.

It's the perfect parallel to this no-games limited-contact preseason.  You couldn't ask for a better head coach with recent experience in the art to get an under-prepared offense prepared for a real game.  It's the Bills that haven't experienced this.  It's been smooth sailing for their coaching staff up to now.  The Bills are the ones that may look rusty, not the Jets.

SAR I

McDermott is ten times better than Gase. Arguably, no HC has done more with less than him the past years. Top 5 defense against WR/QB with limited reps, new OL..and it’s the Jets.

not expecting fireworks at all.

1 hour ago, InGaseYouMissedIt said:

Why is this guy allowed to speak on this board? Jesus dude, you are a straight homer.

No, actually, I'm quite objective.  This is going to be a good Jets season.

Look at the Jets starters and find which ones would start on the bills, id say you can arguably choose 3 (If an unproven Becton counts). Youve got Bell (arguably), Quinnen (Arguably), and Bekton (Arguably). Would I personally take Sam over Allen on that roster from what we've seen? Nope. Would I take Maye over the two stud safeties the bills have? Not a chance, Hyde is awesome and Poyer is probably the most underrated Safety in the NFL. Any offensive weapons? Maybe Herndon, but he has not played in a long time and that dude Knox seemed to flash some huge potential. Their roster is significantly better than ours. SIGNIFICANTLY. In a year where continuity is more important than ever, they replaced 3 starters? One of which is a huge upgrade and one of the best deep threats in the NFL. Sadly, this is going to be a beatdown. I see a lot of better players on their offense then our defense, and their defense is full of studs. 

A lesser Jets team ended the year on a 6-2 run.  Your stats and your namedrops don't mean anything when the Jets play like a cohesive, well-coached team.  That's what happened last year.  That's what's going to happen this year.

The jets BARELY beat the Bills backups last year, what makes you think they could beat the bills roster from last year?

The Jets beat the Bills in Week 1 last year and we beat them again in Week 17.  We were the better team in September and with 20 Jets on IR found a way to beat a set of Bills backups that were better than the Jets backups. 

You're a frightened Bills fan and that's good, you should be.  As for your rationale and faith in logic, the Jets were not favored in any of their last 8 games and won 6 of them.  So much for the "experts".

SAR I

17 minutes ago, RaoulDuke said:

McDermott is ten times better than Gase.

As a head coach, McDermott is Herman Edwards.  Can beat every losing team on the schedule (except 1 each year) and lose to every elite team on the schedule (except 1 each year) and then chokes in the playoffs.  He's 0-6 against Bill Belichick, FYI.  For such a 'great' head coach he couldn't pass the one big litmus test in the division despite 2 playoff appearances.  Edwards, Mangini, Ryan, and Bowles all figured out a way to beat the Pats, but nope, not McDermott.  

As for Sunday, Gase knows how to coach in incredibly difficult roster circumstances, he went 7-9 with the crappiest roster in the NFL, McDermott hasn't faced any adversity, ever.  Gase is the one ready for this challenge, not McDermott.

21 minutes ago, RaoulDuke said:

Top 5 defense against WR/QB with limited reps, new OL..and it’s the Jets.

Same goes the other way around.  We have a Top 5 run defense, Allen is the weaker QB, and he and Diggs have had limited reps just like Darnold and his receivers. 

Seriously, being afraid of the Buffalo Bills is like being afraid of your kid sister.  Stop believing everything the media feeds you.  It's embarrassing.

SAR I

7 hours ago, BCJet said:

3 pages of almost complete nonsense.

Anyway, I mentioned this in the other thread (talking about the actual matchups) but contrary to the poster who said hes not the starter, it looks like it will be Winters at RG and Cody Ford at RT.  GW needs to take advantage of that matchup as Winters is a huge liability out there. 

Both of the Bills #2 CBs are also banged up with hamstring injuries, so the injury report will be big for both teams.  Sam/Gase can just stay away from White all game and go after whoever the other CB is but the Bills also have solid safeties.  

I'm pretty sure you are referring to me who said Winters would be the backup. 

According to camp reports, Cody Ford will be the starter and Darryl Williams will be the RT.

11 minutes ago, SAR I said:

A lesser Jets team ended the year on a 6-2 run.  Your stats and your namedrops don't mean anything when the Jets play like a cohesive, well-coached team.  That's what happened last year.  That's what's going to happen this year.

The Jets beat the Bills in Week 1 last year and we beat them again in Week 17.  We were the better team in September and with 20 Jets on IR found a way to beat a set of Bills backups that were better than the Jets backups. 

You're a frightened Bills fan and that's good, you should be.  As for your rationale and faith in logic, the Jets were not favored in any of their last 8 games and won 6 of them.  So much for the "experts".

SAR I

Bruh I am a jets fan, just a rational one. We lost week 1, and we were lucky to score over 10 points in that game. CJ's one lucky play was almost half our points. 20* jets on IR but starters all over the board versus a team with 2? starters playing. I am going to go out a limb and say that there are not many bills fans actually scared of this seasons jets. Like not at all. They are a playoff caliber team with a top 3 defense in the NFL, a scary good receiving core, an underrated RB duo and an above average line that brings all of their starters back.  Those are things that lead to wins in the NFL, not potential of an inconsistent QB on a team with no difference makers and lots of holes. 

Sure, we finished the year 6-2 and played nicely. That's nice but we lost our best defensive player. Our secondary is a mish-mosh of unproven or injury prone players. I think that was more of a coincidence than anything else. This team really lacks difference makers and chemistry on the offensive line and with a schedule as brutal as ours, that will go a long way. 

26 minutes ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

ummmm..Pretty sure the Bills beat the Jets week 1 last year.  Just thought I'd put that out there.  Sometimes it pays to do a little fact checking before posting.  Good luck Sunday!

We just need Sam to be the Man. He was sick & lost his confidence until the 2nd half of the season but was still playing with scrubs. 
This year his confidence will just grow as each game the line gets more cohesive. 
Just need to scrape out 2 early wins against 2 decent teams. Outside of KC there are no jaugernauts on the Jets schedule. 

• Upvote 2

Darnold v. Allen tends to net pretty close defensive games, but this time around I expect some more offense.

Last year we split, and there are valid excuses for both sides as to why the games ended up like they did (bad kicking, mono, 2nd stringers, injuries). However these excuses tend to offset each other at the end of the day and we have an even rivalry in 2019. Though I see that the Bills offense added a lot of key guys, and I also like where we are offensively compared to last year (still not on Buffalo's level but its a WIP). Reports from camp point to the O-line being solid, and we've seen what Darnold can do with some time. 

It's true that while our offense hasn't been afforded the time to truly gel, patterns tend to show that shortened off-season's hurt defenses more (the air raid of 2011). Our defense is probably weaker when compared to last year as well. 

I don't exactly think we win this, but I believe that it'll be a fun one to watch. I'm just happy we have football back.