Perriman and Mims good to go week 1?

37 minutes ago, JETSALLDAY24X said:

Wondering if anyone else has heard anything? Haven't seen anything that would confirm this would like to hear from a more credible source. Would be pumped AF to go into week 1 full strength tho. 

I'd say we need to see them practice all week before we would know this for sure.

• Upvote 3

First- for the Jets to put all their eggs in Perrimans basket as the WR 1 is already a huge gamble. Having said this- he has to stay healthy all year if the Jets even want to think about having any success this year. It’s extremely hard to imagine Mims contributing in any real serious way being a rookie during a pandemic where the team barely had any practice time or pre season games - and he’s yet to even step on the field for a real practice. 

• Sympathy 1

First- for the Jets to put all their eggs in Perrimans basket as the WR 1 is already a huge gamble. Having said this- he has to stay healthy all year if the Jets even want to think about having any success this year. It’s extremely hard to imagine Mims contributing in any real serious way being a rookie during a pandemic where the team barely had any practice time or pre season games - and he’s yet to even step on the field for a real practice. 

Could be right. We don’t know. But remember, Stephen Hill had 2 tds in his first game

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 2

9 hours ago, JETSALLDAY24X said:

Common sense and the Jets is an oxymoron. Given the injuries last year and in camp this year I'll believe it when I see it. 

Jet jokes aside, what does common sense have to do with the injuries to players last year and in camp? 

The Jets were extra cautious with both Mims and Perriman because it was training camp, and there was no reason to push and get more hurt. This week, it's not training camp anymore. They have a game on Sunday. Both of these guys will play. 

It was reported during camp that Mims was involved and doing "mental reps," while the team installed the offense and practiced routes on the field. There were no reports of him slacking in the classroom. He's gonna practice this week, on the game plan installed for this game, and he's gonna be ready and contribute. I'm excited to see it. If the team gets Vyncint Smith back in a week or two, and this DJ Montgomery kid has something to offer, maybe the Jets won't look so bad at WR moving forward. 

• Upvote 4

10 minutes ago, Jetster said:

If these guys are healthy, I know, big if, this offensive lineup is like Night & day compared to last years opener. 

The Bills added Diggs.

The Jets added Perriman, Herndon, Mims, Griffin, (Wesco in his 2nd year), Gore to spell Bell who is in incredible shape (wants 1 more contract with someone knowing Jets will move on), Berrios can spell Crowder in the slot now occasionally, we actually have a FG kicker, we have an actual Center not some guy that came out of retirement, a LT although a rookie, has the strength of 2 Kelvin Beachums, a RT that is easily 2 times better than any RT we started last year, Lewis who ended the season as a starter instead of KO who was injured & finished and added a veteran RG. 

And our QB is healthy, stronger, and in his 3rd year, 1st in the same offensive scheme. Night & Day from the opener last year.

And statistically the Bills have lost qb pressures and sacks from last year, on the D line.  That is not my opinion.  Their top run stuffer sat out this season as well.

My question is how our D will play

• Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, DetroitRed said:

And statistically the Bills have lost qb pressures and sacks from last year, on the D line.  That is not my opinion.  Their top run stuffer sat out this season as well.

I forgot about Star Lotulelei opting out. That means McGovern goes up against a lesser opponent. Plus, this is the 1st game of the season for our older RBs, not game 9. Two savvy veterans at their healthiest coming out of camp, both GREAT blockers which will help give Sam more time. 

Even though they haven't played together long, this Oline compared to the sh*tshow that started last year? You have 4 veterans, 1 holdover in Lewis, a Vet Center, RG & RT. It's not like it's these guys 1st rodeo. Plus Sam isn't a statue, is healthy & stronger, do you guys remember going from 21 to 23? One thing he didn't do a lot of last year was run for 1st downs & im sure he was told by the doctors to be careful because of his kidneys. 

Sams a PITA QB if he takes his running opportunities to convert a few 1st downs under pressure, and he's dangerous as sh*t running around at dropping touch passes over LBs heads. 

1 hour ago, DetroitRed said:

I think our D will be fine.  Williams will use a lot of spy and disguised blitz packages to confuse Allen.  Singletary has not had a great camp and I like our D-line

Sam has actually had the bills #.  He would be 3-0 his first 3 games facing the bills if he didn’t have the cooties week 1 last year

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Philc1 said:

I think our D will be fine.  Williams will use a lot of spy and disguised blitz packages to confuse Allen.  Singletary has not had a great camp and I like our D-line

Sam has actually had the bills #.  He would be 3-0 his first 3 games facing the bills if he didn’t have the cooties week 1 last year

And the kicker missed 4 easy points.   I will happy if Josh Norman is starting.  Sam torched him last year

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, DetroitRed said:

And the kicker missed 4 easy points.   I will happy if Josh Norman is starting.  Sam torched him last year

If Vedvik is even semi mediocre Sam is 3-0 facing the Bills (including 2 wins at Buffalo in front of crowds in the elements)

• Sympathy 1

On 9/7/2020 at 6:05 AM, slats said:

The Jets were extra cautious with both Mims and Perriman because it was training camp, and there was no reason to push and get more hurt. This week, it's not training camp anymore. They have a game on Sunday. Both of these guys will play. 

It was reported during camp that Mims was involved and doing "mental reps," while the team installed the offense and practiced routes on the field. There were no reports of him slacking in the classroom. He's gonna practice this week, on the game plan installed for this game, and he's gonna be ready and contribute. I'm excited to see it. If the team gets Vyncint Smith back in a week or two, and this DJ Montgomery kid has something to offer, maybe the Jets won't look so bad at WR moving forward. 

I usually get excited for every Jets draft pick just because they are now Jets and want them to be awesome, but I rarely have a true feeling of certainty that a player is going to be elite. I have that for Mims. I think he is going to be an elite #1 receiver. I am also very hopeful that Perriman proves to be a #1 as well.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, johnnysd said:

I usually get excited for every Jets draft pick just because they are now Jets and want them to be awesome, but I rarely have a true feeling of certainty that a player is going to be elite. I have that for Mims. I think he is going to be an elite #1 receiver. I am also very hopeful that Perriman proves to be a #1 as well.

Browns fans thought the same thing about Beckham when they traded for him.  But now it's clear he's a #2.

• Haha 1

On 9/7/2020 at 8:04 AM, Gibby said:

just how is this any worse than trying to make robbie a number 1 wr?  i don't see it.  sure perriman may turn out to be a tease but he's got a lot to play hard for.  and in any case the jets have better receivers than last season so even if perriman doesn't repeat his performance from the end of last season it's not the end of the world.

On 9/7/2020 at 10:38 AM, Philc1 said:

right.  you know i don't think people realize that some illnesses affect performance even before they are diagnosed.  in darnold's case, he was coming down with something in game one.  it had to have hurt something.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, rangerous said:

just how is this any worse than trying to make robbie a number 1 wr?  i don't see it.  sure perriman may turn out to be a tease but he's got a lot to play hard for.  and in any case the jets have better receivers than last season so even if perriman doesn't repeat his performance from the end of last season it's not the end of the world.

I don’t totally disagree- and don’t get me wrong.. I’m happy they’re both a go for Sunday. I just think a priority should’ve been made for a for a WR 1. Someone they could pencil on the outside to draw double coverage. That would make Sams job easier and open up the inside more for Herndon and Crowder.

2 hours ago, Gibby said:

I don’t totally disagree- and don’t get me wrong.. I’m happy they’re both a go for Sunday. I just think a priority should’ve been made for a for a WR 1. Someone they could pencil on the outside to draw double coverage. That would make Sams job easier and open up the inside more for Herndon and Crowder.

It's easy to say.  But dig in and say who you think JD should have gotten?  There just weren't any top FA WRs this year.  Cooper didn't get free and Robby and Perriman were probably the two best that did.  We could have drafted a WR in the 1st round but now we'd be even more upset about the state of our Offensive Line.  The answer may just be that JD did the best that could have been done under the circumstances - a bad roster and a thin FA market.

• Upvote 4

14 hours ago, Gibby said:

i'm sure a true no. 1 receiver will help but at the same time i think we need to focus on how this year's team compares to the previous 10 or so and, imo , this one is better.  and if mims turns out to be a good receiver early then putting perriman on one side and mims on the other will cause all kinds of match up problems.

16 hours ago, rangerous said:

right.  you know i don't think people realize that some illnesses affect performance even before they are diagnosed.  in darnold's case, he was coming down with something in game one.  it had to have hurt something.

Darnold played well enough to win that game.  Vedvik unfortunately couldn’t kick a ball into the Atlantic Ocean