Keys to victory for Week 1

Rhg1084

Jets head up to Orchard Park as a 7 point underdog against a talented Bills team. What do you think are the important things the Jets need to do to walk out of there with a W?

- Keep Josh Allen contained in the pocket and have a QB spy on him. Jets can’t afford having him run for 70-80 yards on us. Have him beat us through the air

- I think the plan on offense is simple and that’s really don’t turn the ball over. This could be a low scoring game and a turnover could decide the game. Try to get Sam in manageable 3rd down situations where he has a chance to convert them. Keep playing the field position game. Hopefully our new punter plays a big role in that too 

• Upvote 2

#1 Is Ed Oliver playing?

#2 Having Cashman, McDougald / Maye spying Allen could force Allen to throw more which is always a good thing!

#3 The path to victory is TE over the middle, RB screens and Crowder targets should be the daily special. Throw in 4 or 5 home run balls to Perriman/Mims and 25 carries between Bell/Gore and a few designed rollouts for Sammy

#4 Eight in the box and let Allen beat you passing but never over the top big play to Diggs or Hollywood. If Allen has to throw 40 times we’re looking good

Edited by 32EBoozer
  • Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2

Knowing Gregg Williams, first plan of attack is stopping the run. Stuff singletary, moss and whoever else they have back there and force the bills to throw it. Come out hot on offense and don’t turn the ball over. Same gameplan the jets had during their 6-2 stretch to end last year. Keep it going. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

6 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

#1 Is Ed Oliver playing?

#2 Having Cashman, McDougald / Maye spying Allen could force Allen to throw more which is always a good thing!
                                                                             #3 The path to victory is TE over the middle, RB screens and Crowder targets should be the daily special. Throw in 4 or 5 home run balls to Perriman/Mims and 25 carries between Bell/Gore and a few designed rollouts for Sammy

#4 Eight in the box and let Allen beat you passing but never over the top big play to Diggs or Hollywood. If Allen has to throw 40 times we’re looking good

Oliver is playing as I haven’t seen anything to suggest otherwise.

Youre absolutely right regarding Allen. Jets need to get off the field on 3rd down. We can’t have them in a 3rd and 5 and Allen runs for 7. That will kill us. 

Greg Williams loves blitzing the house on 3rd down and I expect Maye to play the Jamal role. Look for him to be lined up at the line of scrimmage on 3rd down going after Allen. The corners need to hold the fort down and can’t have Diggs blowing by them in single coverage.

Look for Ashyton Davis to play the deep single high center field position. Corners will be on single coverage with Maye in the box. Davis will be flying all over the field

• Upvote 2

We need the Oline to recover on break downs to get back into the play so Sam can run to daylight or find a breakdown in the Bills secondary. The Oline has to convert on 3rd & short, we were terrible last year! 

I think Bell will have a much better game between the tackles than last year. He had zero faith in our Oline getting movement or creases to slash through & he did way too much sliding down the line letting guys shoot caps & getting us behind the sticks on 2nd downs. Outside of Fant, who is more of a trap blocker, all 4 guys are physical, Becton, Lewis, McGovern & Van Roten.

Jets Oline needs to win the trench war, force their CBs & Safeties up, and burn them with Herndon & Crowder. Jets have to be the team leaning forward in the 2nd half! If we see Perine in the 4th quarter I'll be one happy Jet fan! 

• Upvote 2

47 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

#1 Is Ed Oliver playing?

good points.  add to that no turnovers and keeping the ball in good field position.  frequently the early games have lots of long returns on punts and kickoffs.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

I think it’ll be Basham and Jenkins on outside, Cashamn and Williamson on the inside. D line will be QWill, Mclendon, Henry Anderson. 

I thought Williamson renegotiated his contract because he’d be 2nd string. I thought Hewitt alongside Cashman. I wonder what Onwuasor status is?

Darnold has no reps with his starting receivers outside of Crowder and thus not much chemistry.

• Need to be successful running the ball.
  • Protect the football.
  • Control the clock. 
  • Keep the score close.
  • Limit the amount of yards Allen runs for.
  • Prevent chunk plays.

If we play this type of game Braden Mann & the rest of special teams could be the difference.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Darnold has no reps with his starting receivers outside of Crowder and thus not much chemistry.

• Need to be successful running the ball.
  • Protect the football.
  • Control the clock. 
  • Keep the score close.
  • Limit the amount of yards Allen runs for.
  • Prevent chunk plays.

If we play this type of game Braden Mann & the rest of special teams could be the difference.

Agree with what you said, only thing I would note is that Darnold and perriman seemed to be on the same page for all of camp until Periman missed the last week and a half to 2 weeks. I think if he’s healthy to go Sunday they’ll be good chemistry wise. Mims is the one I think suffers the most from his time out, hopefully Hogan can step in nicely if need be. 

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Jetlife33 said:
QB Darnold
RB Bell
WR Perriman
WR Mims
WR Crowder
TE Herndon
OT Becton
OG Lewis
C McGovern
OG Van Roten
OT Fant

Starting offense if the WR’s are healthy. Gore, Griffin and Hogan/Berrios some back up weapons. 

I have to say that for all the groaning that's a decent starting lineup (if healthy of course).  I think we've upgraded at least 4 spots on offense and that doesn't include getting Herndon back.  There will be growing pains with the rookies but this lineup has taken a solid step forward this offseason.

Drafting another WR and a C/OG next year could actually have us saying it's good.

• Upvote 4

On offense I'd like to see us run right behind Becton.  Maybe even some early 2 TE sets with Wesco over there.  Could make the Bills susceptible to things like a reverse or play-action fakes and screens to the opposite side if the Bills overload the Becton side.

On defense let's test Allen's arm/accuracy and force the Bills to have to win with him passing.  If they succeed then good on them, but let's make them execute.  I like the idea mentioned earlier of containing Allen and maybe spying with someone like Cashman....but I also like the idea of leaving some ballhawks like Maye, Davis, McDougald in the Secondary to catch those ducks!

In Gregg Williams I trust!

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

We need the offensive to step up and extend drives. We can’t be going 3 and out every series keeping the defense on the field the whole game.

Gase really needs to shine here and put together a good gameplay. 

Gase should let Sammy go up tempo with a lot of misdirection and designed rollouts. Sammy is much better when moving. If I remember correctly we are moving to a zone blocking scheme this year correct? 

I thought we are going with something similar to 49ers. Is Wesco our Juszczyk

https://www.google.com/amp/s/ninernoise.com/2019/11/03/49ers-breaking-kyle-shanahan-offense-halfway-2019/amp/

One thing which differentiates Shanahan from pretty much the rest of the NFL is the emphasis he places on having a fullback. Bringing in Kyle Juszczyk in free agency from the Ravens back in 2017 has certainly paid dividends.

Another thing which Shanahan emphasizes is versatility. Most fullbacks act solely as blockers in the run game. Therefore, if you put your fullback on the field and they don’t have the same versatility as Juszczyk, the defense will know that you’re running ball.

When the Niners run the ball, it’s generally from either the I-formation or from split back. Both of these formations generally have two running backs on the field, and offenses are less likely to pass with two tailbacks in a formation. However, the 49ers have many plays designed to pass out of these formations, a key reason why pass-catching ability is a key facet for running backs in the system.

The game is set up to be a defensive battle, but I want to see Darnold pull off a few chunk plays to make the difference. Don't really give a crap about chemistry, Perriman and Mims are both capable of tracking a football in the air, so make the catch downfield. Herdon can stretch the seam. Bell can flex out. 

That three yards and a cloud of dust brand of football requires mistake-free execution, and no way is even the most disciplined team in the league going to be mistake free early this year. The Jets need to make big plays on offense, and prevent them on defense. That's the difference when playing a superior (on paper) opponent on the road. An Ashtyn Davis pick would be especially sweet. 

• Upvote 4

Bills are acting like this division is already theirs and we are two easy wins on the schedule. The fans think they’ll be 12-4 no problem. The Jets have to go into that game with a chip on their shoulder and smack them and their stupid Bills mafia in the mouth. Call plays that get Becton on the hunt for fresh meat and send the message early that this is going to be a physical game. Force Josh Allen to beat the defense with his arm. Make it sloppy. Make it dirty. Let’s go Jets!

• Upvote 2

35 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

I have to say that for all the groaning that's a decent starting lineup (if healthy of course).  I think we've upgraded at least 4 spots on offense and that doesn't include getting Herndon back.  There will be growing pains with the rookies but this lineup has taken a solid step forward this offseason.

Drafting another WR and a C/OG next year could actually have us saying it's good.

Compare it to last years week 1 starting lineup. 
QB Darnold
RB Bell
WR Enunwa
WR Crowder
WR R. Anderson
TE R. Griffin
OT Beachum
OG Osemele
C R. Kalil 
OG Winters
OT Shell 

• Upvote 1