Keys to victory for Week 1

Rhg1084

Every rookie gets tested, especially week 1, but with no preseason games Mount Becton will see lots of stunts and blitzes, but if Davis takes the field the Bills will go after him immediately. 

they both have to have their eyes right and limit mental mistakes 

14 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Dude had a 105 degree fever and no one knew he was sick? Are you thinking these thing through before you click post?

You're trying too hard to make a point that probably just isn't there.  It's very likely he felt like crap but just assumed it was an oncoming flu or similar illness and played through.  They tested him after the game and Gase and Loggains showed up at his door to tell him the results.  Until then, nobody knew.  And if you're going to ask why a QB would play with flu-like symptoms, just don't.  Because if he didn't then he'd be John Abraham.  

"Surprisingly, Darnold admitted that he was not 100% for the season opener, when the Jets fell to the Buffalo Bills at home, 17-16. Darnold threw for just 175 yards and one touchdown, and said that he had a bad night's sleep and had cold sweats as well. According to him, he was about 80-85% healthy. "

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, nycdan said:

You're trying too hard to make a point that probably just isn't there.  It's very likely he felt like crap but just assumed it was an oncoming flu or similar illness and played through.  They tested him after the game and Gase and Loggains showed up at his door to tell him the results.  Until then, nobody knew.  And if you're going to ask why a QB would play with flu-like symptoms, just don't.  Because if he didn't then he'd be John Abraham.  

"Surprisingly, Darnold admitted that he was not 100% for the season opener, when the Jets fell to the Buffalo Bills at home, 17-16. Darnold threw for just 175 yards and one touchdown, and said that he had a bad night's sleep and had cold sweats as well. According to him, he was about 80-85% healthy. "

Sorry. Not buying it. If he’s a franchise QB and he’s as sick as SAR is claiming, then he doesn’t play. Period. 

• Thumb Down 1

8 hours ago, Rhg1084 said:

Keep Josh Allen contained in the pocket and have a QB spy on him. Jets can’t afford having him run for 70-80 yards on us. Have him beat us through the air

I think its been proven, someone did an analysis with Jackson, that it doesnt work, better off with 11 on defense instead of 10 and a spy

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

27 minutes ago, Larz said:

Every rookie gets tested, especially week 1, but with no preseason games Mount Becton will see lots of stunts and blitzes, but if Davis takes the field the Bills will go after him immediately. 

they both have to have their eyes right and limit mental mistakes 

He is a rookie. And we all know how vanilla GW defenses are. So he will not have seen a blitz since college.  Those mean old Bills will overpower him at the los. 

not 

7 minutes ago, addage said:

He is a rookie. And we all know how vanilla GW defenses are. So he will not have seen a blitz since college.  Those mean old Bills will overpower him at the los. 

not 

Solid analysis. All those reps in shorts are guaranteed to make him a savvy veteran week 1

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, BCJet said:

1. Morse is fine as is Quentin Spain, but GW has to go after Winters every single play.  

2. Allen isnt accurate and that didnt change this offseason.

3.  I get that our team doesnt have a ton of big names, but we have depth across the defense and the Bills dont have a ton of depth defensively. 

1. That's gonna be tough to do when Winters isn't going to be on the field unless someone gets hurt. He's not starting.

2. He's actually one of the more accurate passers in the league on intermediate routes (between 10-20 air yards). He struggles with deep passes quite a bit. The short game isn't an area of strength, but that is more like slightly below average. Dismissing him as a passer outright is a mistake. 

3. You don't think the Bills defense lacks depth? How..exactly? They have one of the deepest defensive fronts and backfields. Their backup safeties can play slot corner as well. One of them has played outside corner too. The only place they may be thin is at linebacker. 

Chris Hogan Listed With First Offense
After he went through COVID-19 testing protocols and passed his physical, veteran wideout Chris Hogan officially became a Jet on Aug. 19. He almost immediately established excellent chemistry with QB Sam Darnold and began making plays at practice. He is listed as a starter in the Jets base offensive package featuring 11 players with 1 RB (Le'Veon Bell) and 1 TE (Chris Herndon). Hogan joins both slot receiver Jamison Crowder and outside threat Breshad Perriman.

"He's a guy that has a knack to get open," said Head Coach Adam Gase of Hogan this summer. "He uses the right techniques and he's a competitor. I love the way that he plays, the way he practices. There's something about him that when you get around him you can feel it. He plays aggressive, he plays angry. He wants to be on the field and I respect him a lot."

• Upvote 1

Shakedown at Inside Linebacker
Avery Williamson tore his ACL last preseason and missed the entire 2019 campaign. He started this training camp on the PUP list before being activated on Aug. 22. As practices progressed, Williamson got more work with the first team along with Neville Hewitt and Blake Cashman. Williamson is listed as a starter ahead of the athletic Cashman, but they both could see a lot of time in a Gregg Williams' defense, which is known for its multiplicity.

• Upvote 1

Braxton Berrios Atop Both Return Spots
Last season, Braxton Berrios finished second in the NFL in punt return average (11.4 YPR). He'll continue to backup Crowder in the slot, but he also could become the team's primary kickoff return man in 2020. With Vyncint Smith (core) on injured reserve, the public relations department has penciled rookie Ashtyn Davis behind Berrios at KR.

"He's a competitor man," Gase said this summer of the 5-9, 190-pound Berrios. "He plays like he's 6-4, 230. In his mind, I think that's how he views himself. He gets after it every day."

6 hours ago, SAR I said:

The Bills are going to expect us to try to ground and pound because of the injured WR's and new OL.  So throw the ball aggressively.

The Bills are going to expect us to blitz heavily and sneak Allen around the outside.  So don't blitz at all.

Get yardage with the pass, don't let Allen run.  

Jets 40
Bills 23

SAR I

SAR 1, how do you envision the sorry group of offensive players you have to even put up 10 points.

Sam seeing ghosts, Bell three steps slow, Periman injured, Mims no reps in camp, 5 new offensive line starters.  Well you got Croder and Herndon, good luck.

cant wait to post you after the game, doubt if you will respond to me

• Thumb Down 2

5 New Starters Along the OL
After starting 11 different offensive linemen last season and using 9 different starting combinations, the Jets are assured of having five new starters opening day at Buffalo. From left to right, the unofficial depth chart lists Mekhi Becton at LT, Alex Lewis at LG, Connor McGovern at C, Greg Van Roten at RG and George Fant at RT.

"I would definitely say I got better as a player, person and teammate," Becton said at the conclusion of his first training camp. "I definitely learned how to take care of my body, technique, plays, everything. I've gotten better over this time period."

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

He's actually one of the more accurate passers in the league on intermediate routes (between 10-20 air yards). He struggles with deep passes quite a bit. The short game isn't an area of strength, but that is more like slightly below average. Dismissing him as a passer outright is a mistake. 

He was near the bottom of the league in passing yards per game.  

While he shouldn't be dismissed as a passer his arm shouldnt scare anyone either

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Marckry said:

SAR 1, how do you envision the sorry group of offensive players you have to even put up 10 points.

Sam seeing ghosts, Bell three steps slow, Periman injured, Mims no reps in camp, 5 new offensive line starters.  Well you got Croder and Herndon, good luck.

The bills are supposed to win this one right? 7 point favorites? You should have nothing to prove. Why are you going after a jets fan rooting for his team on a jets fan site? Let fans be fans. Based on the media and your fan base, you have much bigger fish to fry then the lowly Jets. You really better hope the Bills do what they’re supposed to. Good luck to you guys this year, maybe you can win your first playoff game in 25 years. 

54 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

1. That's gonna be tough to do when Winters isn't going to be on the field unless someone gets hurt. He's not starting.

2. He's actually one of the more accurate passers in the league on intermediate routes (between 10-20 air yards). He struggles with deep passes quite a bit. The short game isn't an area of strength, but that is more like slightly below average. Dismissing him as a passer outright is a mistake. 

3. You don't think the Bills defense lacks depth? How..exactly? They have one of the deepest defensive fronts and backfields. Their backup safeties can play slot corner as well. One of them has played outside corner too. The only place they may be thin is at linebacker. 

I don't really get this narrative that Allen is some sort of pick machine, last year he had 9 total which is fewer than Darnold despite playing more games than him. And looking even closer in the last 8 games of the Bill's season, the tougher half of their schedule, he only had 2.

58 minutes ago, Marckry said:

We are improved vs. last year.  Darnold entering the second year in the same system.  No coaches or coordinators turned over.  OL completely rebuilt.  Gore and Perine ready to go in case Bell falters.  Mims and Perriman arriving, Crowder returning, Herndon and Griffin a formidable TE combo.  

Fun Fact #1:  The Jets went 6-2 the last eight games with a pile of scrubs.  This group is vastly superior.

1 hour ago, Marckry said:

Sam seeing ghosts,

That was one game.  After it, Sam went on a nice run and had 14 TD's, 4 INT's, and a Rating of 93.3 good for Top 10 in the league.

Fun Fact #2:  The Bills got swept by the Patriots too.  In fact, you were 1-4 vs winning teams.  And you ended the year on a 1-4 freefall.

No, it's the other way around, it's you Bills trolls that vanish the moment things don't go your way, happened in Week 17 and Week 18 last year.

Fun Fact #3:  The Bills are the Jets in blue uniforms.  You have beaten no one in two full Allen seasons.  You get no respect until you do.  And you won't.

SAR I

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jetlife33 said:

The bills are supposed to win this one right? 7 point favorites? You should have nothing to prove. Why are you going after a jets fan rooting for his team on a jets fan site? Let fans be fans. Based on the media and your fan base, you have much bigger fish to fry then the lowly Jets. You really better hope the Bills do what they’re supposed to. Good luck to you guys this year, maybe you can win your first playoff game in 25 years. 

Double-Wide-Mobile-Home-Prices-Florida.j

When you live in a double-wide and tip cows for fun, getting into a typewriter battle with a city slicker is bigtime entertainment.

SAR I

• Sympathy 1

And still somehow we lost our best defensive player that game at the half, our QB playing with mono and a fever and still if our K makes a very makable FG and an extra point you lose.

Imagine that

• Post of the Week 1

50 minutes ago, Titan24 said:

The Bills have more talent are well coached and will look more prepared.

The Bills have less talent, are coached by a staff that has reached its ceiling, and will choke under pressure like they always do.

Did you not watch the Bills epic 1-4 collapse to end the season?  Did you not see Allen look like a frightened child under the bright lights of Houston?  The Jets go in cool and relaxed, no expectations, while the Bills are expected to win.  No fans, no energy, fall behind early, Allen implodes like he always does.  

SAR I

37 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

I don't really get this narrative that Allen is some sort of pick machine, last year he had 9 total which is fewer than Darnold despite playing more games than him. And looking even closer in the last 8 games of the Bill's season, the tougher half of their schedule, he only had 2.

Jets
Giants
Bengals
Titans
Dolphins
Redskins
Dolphins
Broncos
Cowboys
Steelers

When your 10 wins come against those defenses, of course it's going to make the stats look good.

This year, your schedule is a wee bit tougher.

Fun Fact:  If the Jets weren't injured and if Darnold doesn't get mono, we beat the Bills, Bengals, and Dolphins and take your playoff spot.  The reason you have been allowed to fantasize all summer is because the Jets handed you their playoff spot.  Not happening this year.

SAR I

3 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

And still somehow we lost our best defensive player that game at the half, our QB playing with mono and a fever and still if our K makes a very makable FG and an extra point you lose.

Imagine that

Every year there is a returning playoff team that gets hyped to the high heavens on Labor Day, the HC gets praised, the QB is crowned.

And every year that same team winds up benching their QB by Thanksgiving and firing their HC by New Year's Day.

Hello, Buffalo.

SAR I

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Jets
Giants
Bengals
Titans
Dolphins
Redskins
Dolphins
Broncos
Cowboys
Steelers

When your 10 wins come against those defenses, of course it's going to make the stats look good.

This year, your schedule is a wee bit tougher.

Fun Fact:  If the Jets weren't injured and if Darnold doesn't get mono, we beat the Bills, Bengals, and Dolphins and take your playoff spot.  The reason you have been allowed to fantasize all summer is because the Jets handed you their playoff spot.  Not happening this year.

SAR I

Darnold was back when the Jets lost to the Dolphins and Bengals.

I think the plan many are suggesting here is a loser. If the Jets try to force the run they will face lots of 3rd and longs and that is a road to a loss. We need to be really balanced run/pass on first down and not running all the time on 2nd and 10. We need to get Buffalo out of the box and defending the pass. If we try to ground and pound we lose.

1 hour ago, Warcodered said:

Darnold was back when the Jets lost to the Dolphins and Bengals.

It takes the average person several weeks or even months to fully recover from mononucleosis, if you’ve ever had it you know what I mean.  To Darnold’s credit/courage he came back prematurely to help his team but he wasn’t fully recovered and able to play at a high level until later in the season.  

Don’t worry about our quarterback; worry about your running back. 

SAR I

• Haha 1