Rhg1084

Keys to victory for Week 1

9 minutes ago, SAR I said:

It takes the average person several weeks or even months to fully recover from mononucleosis, if you’ve ever had it you know what I mean.  To Darnold’s credit/courage he came back prematurely to help his team but he wasn’t fully recovered and able to play at a high level until later in the season.  

Don’t worry about our quarterback; worry about your running back. 

SAR I

The loss to the Dolphins was about 2-months after he got it and the Bengals about 3.

33 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

The loss to the Dolphins was about 2-months after he got it and the Bengals about 3.

Like I said, it can take several months to fully recover. 

Darnold played well down the stretch, finishing 6-2.  Allen played badly, finishing 1-4 and humiliating the entire Buffalo Bills franchise in that playoff game.  You need a quarterback.  We don’t. 

SAR I

13 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Like I said, it can take several months to fully recover. 

Darnold played well down the stretch, finishing 6-2.  Allen played badly, finishing 1-4 and humiliating the entire Buffalo Bills franchise in that playoff game.  You need a quarterback.  We don’t. 

SAR I

It's actually 2-4 weeks and fatigue can last a few months. In that same 8 weeks Allen went 4-4 but he also didn't get to play the Giants, Redskins, and Bengals(though I guess that's actually a tough one apparently?). Also in that span Allen had half as many INTs as Darnold. I mean seriously you say the Bills went 1-4 at the end conveniently lopping off the 3 games they won in a row before that.

10 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

It's actually 2-4 weeks and fatigue can last a few months. In that same 8 weeks Allen went 4-4 but he also didn't get to play the Giants, Redskins, and Bengals(though I guess that's actually a tough one apparently?). Also in that span Allen had half as many INTs as Darnold. I mean seriously you say the Bills went 1-4 at the end conveniently lopping off the 3 games they won in a row before that.

You can spin it any way you like, but the Bills finished on a 1-4 slide featuring 3 losses to playoff teams (Ravens, Patriots, Texans) and that's not good.

Allen isn't the guy.  He's your Sanchez.  Rest of the team is ready to compete, QB isn't right.  Again, as a Jets fan, I've gone through decades of this, I've seen it all before, the surprising success, the false hope, the crashing and burning and rebuilding.  If you don't have a franchise quarterback, you don't have a franchise.  The Jets waited 50 years for Namath's replacement, you're only in Year 25 since Kelly, the Dolphins in Year 21 since Marino, the Patriots in Year 1 since Brady.

Good luck with that.

SAR I

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, jetstream23 said:

Beachum is a backup in Arizona behind Josh Jones at RT.

But but PFF rated him a 92.5!

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Gastineau Lives said:

Braden Mann will be the difference. Book it.

Maye and Davis

but yes field position will be huge.  

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, jeremy2020 said:

1. That's gonna be tough to do when Winters isn't going to be on the field unless someone gets hurt. He's not starting.

2. He's actually one of the more accurate passers in the league on intermediate routes (between 10-20 air yards). He struggles with deep passes quite a bit. The short game isn't an area of strength, but that is more like slightly below average. Dismissing him as a passer outright is a mistake. 

3. You don't think the Bills defense lacks depth? How..exactly? They have one of the deepest defensive fronts and backfields. Their backup safeties can play slot corner as well. One of them has played outside corner too. The only place they may be thin is at linebacker. 

1. ESPN has winters listed as the RG on their depth chart - so thats the information I had.  

2. Norman and Levi Wallace are both listed as questionable which is what I referenced with their DBs. Star Lotulelei is apparently out and Quentin Jefferson is hurt, so that would lead me to believe their DL depth could be an issue. 

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Jetlife33 said:

A2BBCE74-5FC8-40E2-86C4-2CF82C3C532A.png

Let’s go!!!

Monday went fast, now need to speed through the rest of this week. 

23 hours ago, Jetlife33 said:

Knowing Gregg Williams, first plan of attack is stopping the run. Stuff singletary, moss and whoever else they have back there and force the bills to throw it. Come out hot on offense and don’t turn the ball over. Same gameplan the jets had during their 6-2 stretch to end last year. Keep it going. 

GW had an entire off-season to prepare for an opening game against the only divisional opponent whose O schemes were guaranteed to have the same plays, same QB and many of the same players. I guarantee that there will be 5 or 6 crucial plays where GW predicts exactly which play the Bills will be running. The only question is can the Jets' D execute.

PS. How does the NFL plan to keep the Bills Mafia from gathering to celebrate the opener for their beloved team? sh*t, you couldn't control these people when their team sucked. There is no way they are NOT going to find a way to gather together to bust up some tables and celebrate their team.

• Upvote 2

15 hours ago, Gastineau Lives said:

Braden Mann will be the difference. Book it.

It amazes me how the profound impact this kid will have on games has been lost to most Jet fans. He is a weapon. He changes field position. Parcells would love this kid. 

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

I think it comes down to the defense containing the Bills offense. The Bills defense is freaking nasty, so I’m not going to be shocked if Darnold and Co don’t score more than 13 points.

Have to figure out a way to contain Diggs, Brown and Beasley. If they go into a knickel, they can spy Allen and contain the receivers. The run game will be open, but you can’t stop everything (at least with the state of the defense right now).

26 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

GW had an entire off-season to prepare for an opening game against the only divisional opponent whose O schemes were guaranteed to have the same plays, same QB and many of the same players.

Outstanding point.

SAR I

30 minutes ago, Ben Had said:

If the Jet's cant establish the run this game will get ugly. 

The Jets couldn't establish the run for the second half of the 2019 season and we went 6-2 with Sam Darnold putting up Top 10 QB numbers.  All those Le'Veon attempts putting him in 2nd and 15 or 3rd and 12.  Sam got better, in fact, when we stopped running and just kept throwing.

Don't worry about the run.  We've proven we can win without it, at least against the below average teams in the NFL like the Bills.  Next week against the Niners, different story.

SAR I

4 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Don't worry about the run.  We've proven we can win without it, at least against the below average teams in the NFL like the Bills.  Next week against the Niners, different story.

SAR I

If you believe the Bill's are a below average team you have a poor football IQ.

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Ben Had said:

Jets
Giants
Bengals
Titans
Dolphins
Redskins
Dolphins
Broncos
Cowboys
Steelers

Those are the Bills 10 wins from last season.  

Patriots
Eagles
Browns
Ravens
Patriots
Jets
Texans

Those are the Bills 7 losses.

The Bills beat no one, in fact, Josh Allen has only beaten 1 winning team in his whole career, the Titans.  The rest of the time, the Bills are just good enough to take care of business against the dregs of the NFL and exposed every time as they lose to the winning teams in the NFL. 

Fearing the Bills is irrational.  Hyping them is foolish.  The Bills are the Jets in blue uniforms.  If not for the Darnold illness and all the injuries, the Jets take their playoff spot last year which is what I expect to happen this year.  That's what someone with smart football IQ sees.  Social media hype is what's stupid.  It's designed to get clicks and advertising impressions, not to paint an accurate picture.  

SAR I

1 hour ago, Ben Had said:

That's just SAR being SAR.

I've lurked on this forum for many years and it's just the way he is.

When we started 1-5 last season, he started a thread saying we were going to the playoffs. So... yeah.

4 hours ago, BCJet said:

1. ESPN has winters listed as the RG on their depth chart - so thats the information I had.  

2. Norman and Levi Wallace are both listed as questionable which is what I referenced with their DBs. Star Lotulelei is apparently out and Quentin Jefferson is hurt, so that would lead me to believe their DL depth could be an issue. 

Nah. The Bills defense has the best depth in the entire NFL.

They have backups that would be starting on several teams. Mario Addison, Quinton Jefferson, Harrison Phillips, Norman, etc and they drafted Epenesa who I was high on.

Our D needs to come to play. Period. Because theirs will.

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, DonMaynardFan said:

That's just SAR being SAR.

I've lurked on this forum for many years and it's just the way he is.

When we started 1-5 last season, he started a thread saying we were going to the playoffs. So... yeah.

Yea...not being disrespectful but is he related to nyjunc?

And BTW...I drafted Bell on my fan league...wish me luck...lol

Just now, Ben Had said:

Yea...not being disrespectful but is he related to nyjunc?

I don't think so, but I don't know for sure. 

7 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Possibly.

As of 9/8/2020....

908291505_ScreenShot2020-09-08at8_53_04AM.png.11e92ccb27df77d9727082e4c8cf9aba.png

https://www.espn.com/nfl/team/depth/_/name/ari

But things change man.

possibly is the right word

other than that ESPN depth chart and ourlads i can't find any Cards coach or player confirming Jones as a starter 

the team does not have an official depth chart up currently 

https://www.azcardinals.com/team/depth-chart

maybe you are correct, but it would not track with everything in camp so far 

4 minutes ago, bitonti said:

possibly is the right word

other than that ESPN depth chart and ourlads i can't find any Cards coach or player confirming Jones as a starter 

the team does not have an official depth chart up currently 

https://www.azcardinals.com/team/depth-chart

maybe you are correct, but it would not track with everything in camp so far 

Somewhat irrelevant anyway IMO.  The Cardinals are hoping to do with Beachum the same thing we did, replace him with a rookie.  The intention of the discussion was determining whether going from guys like Beachum to Becton, Shell to Fant, Kalil/Harrison to McGovern were steps in the right direction.  I think they were.

The one move that I think will be interesting to evaluate over time is Shell.  A young guy, mid-round pick, who seemed to improve but not as much as the Jets hoped.  They also didn't seem to want to pay him what the FA market would offer him....but were willing to (over)pay Fant to a degree, possibly because Fant has a better ability to fill in at LT if necessary than Shell would.

7 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Somewhat irrelevant anyway IMO.  The Cardinals are hoping to do with Beachum the same thing we did, replace him with a rookie.  The intention of the discussion was determining whether going from guys like Beachum to Becton, Shell to Fant, Kalil/Harrison to McGovern were steps in the right direction.  I think they were.

The one move that I think will be interesting to evaluate over time is Shell.  A young guy, mid-round pick, who seemed to improve but not as much as the Jets hoped.  They also didn't seem to want to pay him what the FA market would offer him....but were willing to (over)pay Fant to a degree, possibly because Fant has a better ability to fill in at LT if necessary than Shell would.

the Cardinals planned to start Marcus Gilbert until he opted out. I can post several articles from beaters saying Beachum worked at RT with the 1's. there is no evidence Josh Jones is ready to start an NFL football game

Brandon Shell is a man power player and fits Seahawks scheme better than Jets outside zone scheme. Fant vice versa. It's possible they both improve this season, in systems that fit their strengths. I don't mourn the loss of Shell he was never a fit for what they were trying to do on offense. But under a different regime Shell would be resigned. 

• Upvote 2

On 9/7/2020 at 2:39 PM, BCJet said:

Great call on the misdirection, that is something that we cannot use enough as Sam is the rare QB who can actually role out to both directions.  Edmunds and Milano are fast LBs, so anything we can do to slow them down will be beneficial as the game goes on.

In general there are a few things in our favor, which is why we led them in week 1 last year. 

1.  The Bills OL is not very strong. Sure they paid Dawkins but he is far from an elite player. Morse is fine as is Quentin Spain, but GW has to go after Winters every single play.  GW and every DL should know winter's weakness and I would think Fatuski can literally throw him around all game.  We have to crush that matchup.

2. Allen isnt accurate and that didnt change this offseason.  Looking at the defense overall, we should be playing 3 safeties along with Poole as a slot CB/OLB to keep or DBs fresh and hopefully can bait Allen into at least 1 int.

3.  I get that our team doesnt have a ton of big names, but we have depth across the defense and the Bills dont have a ton of depth defensively.  Gase HAS to do whatever he can to wear down the Bills defense while GW rotates our DL and secondary to keep everyone fresh.  These guys have not played even a quarter of real football and  conditioning is gonna be a huge factor.  QW-Foley-Anderson and McClendon-Shephard-Phillips can be swapped out every other series if necessary and should have a big advantage in the 4th quarter.

No big breakdowns down the field, make Allen actually string together drives where he needs 3/4 big completions and he will inevitably struggle.  McDermott is a smart coach, but IMO this Bills team is really overrated and while Diggs is an obvious upgrade, they dont have the talent at QB or RB to put up 30 on this defense.

1.Winter's isn't starting

2. Correct - Keep Allen in the pocket and make him throw.

3. I'd say you have it backwards. Bills have depth, Jets don't. They added Vernon Butler, Mario Addison, and A.J. Epenesa and only lost Star lotulelei. 

On 9/8/2020 at 1:11 AM, Philc1 said:

But but PFF rated him a 92.5!

If you could quantify movement off the LOS in the running game, Beachum would average -1/2 yard! He was always average in pass pro but Jax let him walk because he always has been very weak in the run game. He was D’Brickashaw VERY LIGHT. 
He was the best lineman on probably one of the worst Jet olines in history & he’s a backup this year. 

• Upvote 1

On 9/7/2020 at 3:39 PM, BCJet said:

Great call on the misdirection, that is something that we cannot use enough as Sam is the rare QB who can actually role out to both directions.  Edmunds and Milano are fast LBs, so anything we can do to slow them down will be beneficial as the game goes on.

In general there are a few things in our favor, which is why we led them in week 1 last year. 

1.  The Bills OL is not very strong. Sure they paid Dawkins but he is far from an elite player. Morse is fine as is Quentin Spain, but GW has to go after Winters every single play.  GW and every DL should know winter's weakness and I would think Fatuski can literally throw him around all game.  We have to crush that matchup.

2. Allen isnt accurate and that didnt change this offseason.  Looking at the defense overall, we should be playing 3 safeties along with Poole as a slot CB/OLB to keep or DBs fresh and hopefully can bait Allen into at least 1 int.

3.  I get that our team doesnt have a ton of big names, but we have depth across the defense and the Bills dont have a ton of depth defensively.  Gase HAS to do whatever he can to wear down the Bills defense while GW rotates our DL and secondary to keep everyone fresh.  These guys have not played even a quarter of real football and  conditioning is gonna be a huge factor.  QW-Foley-Anderson and McClendon-Shephard-Phillips can be swapped out every other series if necessary and should have a big advantage in the 4th quarter.

No big breakdowns down the field, make Allen actually string together drives where he needs 3/4 big completions and he will inevitably struggle.  McDermott is a smart coach, but IMO this Bills team is really overrated and while Diggs is an obvious upgrade, they dont have the talent at QB or RB to put up 30 on this defense.

Their team has significantly more depth than ours. That D Line has Hughes, Addison who are good players, add in Epenesa and Trent Murphy, those are all capable pass rushers. Then youve got Oliver who is a stud, Phillips who looked great until his injury and a few new faces that I bet McDermott gets the most out of. Linebackers are a little unproven but their starters are studs. Their CB depth blows ours out of the water. Norman or Wallace would be our CB 1. 

Also if you watched Singletary last year or Moss at Utah, those guys get yards. The bills ranked very high running the ball last year and Gore was basically a corpse at the end of the year. I think they are as good as advertised, I honestly dont see more than 2 of our players as starters on their team, which is a scary thought. 

On 9/7/2020 at 6:10 PM, JoJoTownsell1 said:

The  Bills are the 2020 version of last years Browns. Tons of hype but serious questions at QB. 

Except they come in with continuity and significantly less headaches. I think they will be a very tough team to beat this year

On 9/9/2020 at 8:25 PM, InGaseYouMissedIt said:

Except they come in with continuity and significantly less headaches. I think they will be a very tough team to beat this year

Allen is also better than the sucky midget

• Upvote 1