“No Playoff Mandate” for Gase 2.0

JetsLife

23 minutes ago, SAR I said:

With a healthy QB, from 1997 to 2011 the Jets were one of the teams consistently in or near the playoffs.  15 seasons, pretty good roster, in the playoff conversation.

Whether you win the Super Bowl or not, teams that have a decade or more of winning eventually get caught by expensive free agents, age, retirements, coaching defections, and poor drafting.  And then they suck for 5-10 years before they come back in the conversation again.  Cowboys, 49ers, Broncos, Steelers, Giants, and on and on, it's the NFL cycle.

The price we pay for coming close in '98, '09, and '10 is that we had to flush it all away and start over again.  The mistake Woody Johnson made was holding on to a fading playoff team for too long.  What Christopher Johnson is doing by installing a GM/HC/QB trio for the long-haul is smart, it's about time we let the NFL know that we're going to have a little patience and build the right way.

And, FYI, we very well may make the playoffs this year.  There is nothing wrong in succeeding and building at the same time.

SAR I

u know how many home playoff  games the jets have hosted since I started going in the mid 1970s when I started going 4? that  is right 4 something good teams have done in two years-

the jets always talk up playoff rights as a perk to my psls and season tickets

do you know the last time the jets hosted a playoff game?

we are not making the playoff this year-not in a million years - our roster is bad really really bad-our offensive coach runs a bottom tier offense and his offenses have been closer to the bottom of the league than the top both here and with the dolphins-the ONLY reason we won games last year was due to having a good defensive coach and our defense has less talent this year vs last

10 minutes ago, kmnj said:

u know how many home playoff  games the jets have hosted since I started going in the mid 1970s when I started going 4? that  is right 4 something good teams have done in two years-

You probably don't remember, but the Bills had Levy/Kelly, the Dolphins had Shula/Marino, the Colts had Manning, and the Patriots had Belichick/Brady in that span since the mid-70's you refer to.  The Jets have been put through the buzzsaw of Hall Of Fame coaches and quarterbacks since Eubank/Namath.  Again, it's the cycle.  Looks like its our turn to dominate now.

the jets always talk up playoff rights as a perk to my psls and season tickets

Please, you know enough to know that all NFL teams say that and with Shula/Levy/Marino/Kelly/Manning/Brady in our division since 1975 it was hard enough just to get to the playoffs we did get to and have some success in.

do you know the last time the jets hosted a playoff game?

Yes, I was there, I was one of the fans who paid the money in November and didn't quit on the team.  I sat next to a bunch of random fans with the season ticket holders missing the game.  Justice.

we are not making the playoff this year-not in a million years - our roster is bad really really bad-our offensive coach runs a bottom tier offense and his offenses have been closer to the bottom of the league than the top both here and with the dolphins-the ONLY reason we won games last year was due to having a good defensive coach and our defense has less talent this year vs last

Yeah, because the Buffalo Bills are soooo scary, and the beat-up Jets 6-2 record against the same type of teams the Bills beat perfectly healthy was soooo uninspiring.

You need to turn off ESPN, stop reading Twitter, and use your eyes.  The media is playing you like a fiddle.

SAR I

Make the playoffs or be excuses making forever rebuilding losers if the Jets franchise misses the playoffs their 10th season in a row. If the Jets somehow finish with a winning record and miss the EXPANDED PLAYOFFS - I pretty much guarantee that isn't happening - then you access the situation and see if the Jets are trending upward and not just spinning their wheels in the mud...Example: long losing streak to finish season after a good start and finish 9-7. Bottom line the person(s) most under pressure are those involved with creating an offense that will move the ball and score enough points to give yourself a good chance to win. I'm not as concerned about Greg Williams defense or even special teams with Brant Boyer in charge. Bottom line Dowell Loggains will likely be Gase's fall guy in 2020 if the Jets offense doesn't improve drastically.

3 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

Make the playoffs or be excuses making forever rebuilding losers if the Jets franchise misses the playoffs their 10th season in a row. If the Jets somehow finish with a winning record and miss the EXPANDED PLAYOFFS - I pretty much guarantee that isn't happening - then you access the situation and see if the Jets are trending upward and not just spinning their wheels in the mud...Example: long losing streak to finish season after a good start and finish 9-7. Bottom line the person(s) most under pressure are those involved with creating an offense that will move the ball and score enough points to give yourself a good chance to win. I'm not as concerned about Greg Williams defense or even special teams with Brant Boyer in charge. Bottom line Dowell Loggains will likely be Gase's fall guy in 2020 if the Jets offense doesn't improve drastically.

Most NFL experts are on record saying the Jets are a 5-11 team.

Vegas has our O/U at 6.5 games.

Playoff mandate?  LOL.  "Dramatic offensive improvement"?  How could that be possible on a team expected to win 2 fewer games than last year's MASH unit?

If the Jets go 5-11 Adam Gase has done his job.  Period.  If the Jets had 10-6 talent, different story, but the experts apparently think we are not even close.

This is no different than last year when all Jets fans felt we were a 6-10 team and when we opened 0-4 wanted Gase's head on a spike and when we finished 7-9 refused to give him one iota of credit.  Just admit you hate Gase, admit you are irrational, and move on.  "Playoff mandate"?  Please.

SAR I

2 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Most NFL experts are on record saying the Jets are a 5-11 team.

Vegas has our O/U at 6.5 games.

Playoff mandate?  LOL.  "Dramatic offensive improvement"?  How could that be possible on a team expected to win 2 fewer games than last year's MASH unit?

If the Jets go 5-11 Adam Gase has done his job.  Period.  If the Jets had 10-6 talent, different story, but the experts apparently think we are not even close.

This is no different than last year when all Jets fans felt we were a 6-10 team and when we opened 0-4 wanted Gase's head on a spike and when we finished 7-9 refused to give him one iota of credit.  Just admit you hate Gase, admit you are irrational, and move on.  "Playoff mandate"?  Please.

SAR I

You open to bringing Dowell Loggains back if our offense continues to be a mess most of the time?

I'll take Mike Martz in 2021 if our offense flames out and we're keeping everyone but our OC.

19 minutes ago, SAR I said:

You probably don't remember, but the Bills had Levy/Kelly, the Dolphins had Shula/Marino, the Colts had Manning, and the Patriots had Belichick/Brady in that span since the mid-70's you refer to.  The Jets have been put through the buzzsaw of Hall Of Fame coaches and quarterbacks since Eubank/Namath.  Again, it's the cycle.  Looks like its our turn to dominate now.

Please, you know enough to know that all NFL teams say that and with Shula/Levy/Marino/Kelly/Manning/Brady in our division since 1975 it was hard enough just to get to the playoffs we did get to and have some success in.

Yes, I was there, I was one of the fans who paid the money in November and didn't quit on the team.  I sat next to a bunch of random fans with the season ticket holders missing the game.  Justice.

Yeah, because the Buffalo Bills are soooo scary, and the beat-up Jets 6-2 record against the same type of teams the Bills beat perfectly healthy was soooo uninspiring.

You need to turn off ESPN, stop reading Twitter, and use your eyes.  The media is playing you like a fiddle.

SAR I

Fake news?

• Upvote 1

while i don't there is a win -loss total will determine is gase is launched there are some limits.  if they go 4-12 then maybe a change is in order.  do they need to make the playoffs?  imo they will but the real key is to be building a team that will endure from one year to the next and be competitive.  success builds on success.  as many have already pointed out, the schedule is supposed to be hard and it can be argued that a worse record than last season will actually show an improved team.

• Upvote 1

Everyone sh*ts on Maccagnan and Idzik for setting this roster back years but then expect Gase to turn the sh*t roster into a contender. I wasn't a huge fan of the hire but he has literally been put in an impossible situation. At least it seems like him and JD are on the same page. You have to give JD the benefit of the doubt and trust his judgment of Gase. Good things take time, especially if you inherit a mess. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

9 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

You open to bringing Dowell Loggains back if our offense continues to be a mess most of the time?

1.  It's wrong to say "continues" to be a mess.  Last year Loggains didn't have a full deck, he was issued the hardest first year OC job in the entire league.  Bad drafting, bad OL, ridiculous injuries, QB with mono, backup lasted a quarter.  We don't know what a Loggains offense looks like.  What we do know is that he did a good job in the last 8 games against all odds.  Feel good about that.

2.  If we are healthy and aren't moving the ball enough and/or Darnold regresses, yes, Loggains should be evaluated and possibly replaced.

SAR I

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, SAR I said:

You can say that about any other consistent NFL playoff team.  It's cyclical.  The Bills and Dolphins are still trying to find their next Levy/Kelly and Shula/Marino, it's practically 30 years of losing and sucking for them.  We are fortunate by comparison.  We are the team best prepared to take control of the AFC East with Brady gone. 

And Christopher Johnson did it in less than 3 years.  When we win the division this year, you'll see.  But you are not coming off the list.

SAR I

“If we don't change direction soon, we'll end up where we're going.” ... Professor Irwin Corey

15 minutes ago, BettyBoop said:

“If we don't change direction soon, we'll end up where we're going.” ... Professor Irwin Corey

The direction was changed in 2017-2018 when we changed owners, announced a rebuild, fired the HC, fired the GM, cut the weed addicts, cleaned out the entire front office, and drafted a new quarterback.

We are entering Year 2 of the new staff derived from that “direction change” and if you aren’t onboard for the type of patience required in Year 3 and Year 4, begone. Whining about it and being played as a fool by the media until 2023  isn’t attractive or productive. 

SAR I

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

if the Jets franchise misses the playoffs their 10th season in a row. 

I get the frustration as a fan but Adam Gase and Joe Douglas haven't missed the playoffs for 9 years in a row. They've missed the playoffs one time -- inheriting a roster that was built by GMs and coaches who missed the playoffs 8 times in a row.

I'm not a fan of Gase but the cumulative frustration of Jets fans shouldn't color the management decisions on a coach who has been here for a year.

Context is always key.

• Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

"So, I know that there’s a lot of hungry guys that want to go out there and just prove a lot of people wrong, frankly."

- Adam Gase

"I mean, look, our guys don’t live in a bubble, we see the things that are said, we see the things that are written, you know it angers a lot of people."

- Joe Douglas

[That was from their presser yesterday.  The players and coaches are human, they read the same things we read, they read what we type.  If your constant negativity makes them angry and it helps motivate them, fine.  But if your constant negativity makes them doubt themselves or becomes a distraction, cut it out.]

SAR I

I would imagine they're referring to the newspapers.  But in any case, they're paid millions of dollars and they also knew exactly what they signed up for.  Plus, as you said, let them use it as a motivation.  If they can't overcome some criticism then they're not tough enough to win on the football field anyway.

To me a playoff mandate is something you do behind closed doors. It's meant to apply some pressure to people. A stone if you will to sharpen the tools for those dedicated to their craft. A playoff mandate doesn't necessarily guarantee anyone is getting fired. Who knows how the season plays out. If the 2020 Jets are coming together and heading in the right direction, but their record may not reflect their growth, then the right thing to do is keep the team/staff together and move forward together. I understand that type of situation. I'd rather the Jets say nothing than hand out mulligans before the season starts. This is the NFL, and to quote Jerry Glanville, "if your a pro coach that stands for Not For Long." I don't mean to be hard on the Beaver, but he's most likely Gase's fall guy in 2020 if the offense doesn't take a big step forward.

8 minutes ago, SAR I said:

The direction was changed in 2017-2018 when we changed owners, announced a rebuild, fired the HC, fired the GM, cut the weed addicts, cleaned out the entire front office, and drafted a new quarterback.

We are entering Year 2 of the new staff derived from that “direction change” and if you aren’t onboard for the type of patience required in Year 3 and Year 4, begone. Whining about it and being played as a fool by the media until 2023  isn’t attractive or productive. 

SAR I

"Beauty is in the behind of the beholder..."

9 minutes ago, SAR I said:

We are entering Year 2 of the new staff derived from that “direction change” and if you aren’t onboard for the type of patience required in Year 3 and Year 4, begone. Whining about it and being played as a fool by the media until 2023  isn’t attractive or productive

SAR I

In your opinion, what was more important in the Patriots winning 6 Superbowls? 

A) BB and TB12

B ) Patriot fans having a better attitude

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

Begone???  Where should I go???  My travel agent offered me 5 days in Puerto Rico.  No nights, just 5 days.  I asked where should I go at night and he said 'go wherever you want but just stay the hell out of Puerto Rico!

Again I ask, where should I go???

37 minutes ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

it's like some just haven't kept their eyes open.  as you said the jets cleaned house when gase and douglas were hired. that's just one season ago.  of course the naysayers continue to pile on gase based on the statements made by perenial malcontents like landry.  how's he doing in cleveland?  and then they also diss douglas as being some sort of gase puppet.  just look at his contract to see how he's signed on for many years past gase.  there is some really good moves being made to get this organization on track.

will gase finally be the long term coach?  probably too early to tell but thus far the results aren't bad and playoffs are n't out of the realm of possibility this season.  wouldn't that shut up some naysayers.

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, BettyBoop said:

Begone???  Where should I go???  My travel agent offered me 5 days in Puerto Rico.  No nights, just 5 days.  I asked where should I go at night and he said 'go wherever you want but just stay the hell out of Puerto Rico!

Charlotte Amalie?

2 hours ago, SAR I said:

Typical Jets fan:  "MetLife Stadium sucks, it looks like an air conditioner, we need our own stadium, we need green seats, the Jets need to do something to get the team pumped up, to give the boys a homefield advantage."

Typical Jets fan:  "The Johnson's are bad owners, we need to fire Adam Gase, we need to draft Trevor Lawrence."

Get it?  You all want a pretty stadium because you think that's going to motivate the team on to victory, but you can't do the bare minimum and support them with the one thing you can absolutely control-  your mouths.  Trust me, what's said on social media like Twitter and this forum de-motivate the players far more than grey plastic seats do.

SAR I

totes magotes

48 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

In your opinion, what was more important in the Patriots winning 6 Superbowls? 

A) BB and TB12

B ) Patriot fans having a better attitude

If you don't think that fans have a positive impact on the players or the outcome of games never speak a word about a sharing a stadium or visiting enemy fans ever again.

SAR I

45 minutes ago, BettyBoop said:

Baltimore. 

SAR I

1 minute ago, SAR I said:

If you don't think that fans have a positive impact on the players or the outcome of games never speak a word about a sharing a stadium or visiting enemy fans ever again.

SAR I

Home fans can actually make a difference because they can disrupt the road team's offense hearing the snap count, etc.  But as we both know, that's NOT what you're criticizing Jet fans for.

19 minutes ago, rangerous said:

it's like some just haven't kept their eyes open.  as you said the jets cleaned house when gase and douglas were hired. that's just one season ago.  of course the naysayers continue to pile on gase based on the statements made by perenial malcontents like landry.  how's he doing in cleveland?  and then they also diss douglas as being some sort of gase puppet.  just look at his contract to see how he's signed on for many years past gase.  there is some really good moves being made to get this organization on track.

will gase finally be the long term coach?  probably too early to tell but thus far the results aren't bad and playoffs are n't out of the realm of possibility this season.  wouldn't that shut up some naysayers.

The Jets have accomplished a few things in the last 25 years and one of them is that every time we announce a coaching change and bring in a rookie head coach, BAM, he shockingly rattles off a 9-10 win season.  Parcells, Groh, Edwards, Mangini, Ryan, and Bowles all did it.  Six in a row, must be an NFL record.

Gase shows up, would have done the same thing, but the injuries and the mono prevented it.  Jets fans, wait for it, you're not going to believe this, feel entitled to making a coaching change, seeing instant results, no rebuild required.  And when that doesn't happen for the first time since 1995, well, it must be the fault of the incoming head coach and not the craptastic GM that left him with the job opening to begin with.  

Entitled Jets fans.  Imagine that.

SAR I

20 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

How many NFL owners have announced a "playoff mandate" for their HC over the last 10 years?

None.

20 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Why do Jets fans act like issuing "playoff mandates" is a calling card for competent owners?

Because they suck on the teet of Manish Mehta.  Did you hear the one about the "offensive guru"?  Same strawman, same tactic as a "playoff mandate", it's all designed to get maximum clickthru's on social media so their parent companies can sell ads for male grooming products.

SAR I

16 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Home fans can actually make a difference because they can disrupt the road team's offense hearing the snap count, etc.  But as we both know, that's NOT what you're criticizing Jet fans for.

You'd be surprised how little the stadium noise matters and how much the personal insults do.  Only 80,000 fans in a stadium.  There are tens of millions of people Tweeting and re-Tweeting a constant barrage of insults.

Do you think Adam Gase had a nice October last year when his wife couldn't go into a furniture store to buy a dresser for her new house she just moved into without hearing call in radio shows, reading Tweets, and seeing airplanes calling for her husband's head?  Do you think Sam Darnold enjoys reading about the fanbase taking shots at his offensive linemen and running backs?  Do you think Christopher Johnson wants to spend his money and his time trying to please a bunch of rude, selfish, entitled ingrates who dare to call themselves diehard fans?  Do you think it was good for the Jamal Adams brand to be associated with a team being called dysfunctional by its own fanbase day after day after day?

Social media influences players to reconsider the effort they give to their existing teams.  Social media prevents FA's from considering certain teams as a positive destination.   Social media bullying of players is a distraction and prevents playbook comprehension and practice execution. 

These coaches and players are human.  If they think their own fans have quit on them, they'll quit on us, just collect a paycheck, make excuses for not playing.  Sound familiar?  Poisonous SOJF's do more damage than enemy fans in MetLife Stadium could ever do.  It's time to stop.

SAR I

2 minutes ago, SAR I said:

You'd be surprised how little the stadium noise matters and how much the personal insults do.  Only 80,000 fans in a stadium.  There are tens of millions of people Tweeting and re-Tweeting a constant barrage of insults.

Do you think Adam Gase had a nice October last year when his wife couldn't go into a furniture store to buy a dresser for her new house she just moved into without hearing call in radio shows, reading Tweets, and seeing airplanes calling for her husband's head?  Do you think Sam Darnold enjoys reading about the fanbase taking shots at his offensive linemen and running backs?  Do you think Christopher Johnson wants to spend his money and his time trying to please a bunch of rude, selfish, entitled ingrates who dare to call themselves diehard fans?  Do you think it was good for the Jamal Adams brand to be associated with a team being called dysfunctional by its own fanbase day after day after day?

Social media influences players to reconsider the effort they give to their existing teams.  Social media prevents FA's from considering certain teams as a positive destination.   Social media bullying of players is a distraction and prevents playbook comprehension and practice execution. 

These coaches and players are human.  If they think their own fans have quit on them, they'll quit on us, just collect a paycheck, make excuses for not playing.  Sound familiar?  Poisonous SOJF's do more damage than enemy fans in MetLife Stadium could ever do.  It's time to stop.

SAR I

Sounds like a bunch of candy asses that I don't want on my team.

• Post of the Week 1

2 hours ago, SAR I said:

Typical Jets fan:  "MetLife Stadium sucks, it looks like an air conditioner, we need our own stadium, we need green seats, the Jets need to do something to get the team pumped up, to give the boys a homefield advantage."

Typical Jets fan:  "The Johnson's are bad owners, we need to fire Adam Gase, we need to draft Trevor Lawrence."

Get it?  You all want a pretty stadium because you think that's going to motivate the team on to victory, but you can't do the bare minimum and support them with the one thing you can absolutely control-  your mouths.  Trust me, what's said on social media like Twitter and this forum de-motivate the players far more than grey plastic seats do.

SAR I

Metlife stadium does look like an air conditioner.  Fans are complaining because they spent a fortune and that's what they ended up with.  Meanwhile, other teams ended up with much much nicer stadiums.  

The Johnsons are bad owners.  They meddle way too much.  They hired the DC first then the coach then the GM (who was hired only after the previous GM ran both the draft and FA).  Plus the HC reports to them rather than the GM (as if they're the football experts).

Adam Gase did a sh*t job last season.  It's one thing to lose due to injuries, it's another thing to get blown out as often as they did (plus lose to an 0-7 and 0-11 team in the same season).  He's proven he can't elevate a bad team.  However, it seems as if this year's team has improved (rebuilt OL at least) so I guess we'll see if he can elevate a better team.

I have no issues with Joe D or with Sam.  If we stink it up this year and have an opportunity to draft Trevor then, by all means do so.  But I don't think that's going to be our fate because I do think Sam is the real deal.

If our players are so mentally weak that they can't succeed due to some negative comments made in a fan forum (which I'm sure happens in every single fan forum, btw) then we're lucky that they're being weeded out.  Good job JN!

4 minutes ago, SAR I said:

tumblr_mp8u10t6K01sst214o1_500.gif