Joe Douglas on the salary cap

Maxman

43 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Man, I didn't realize how much I was waiting to hear something like this.  It made me happy. I got excited! And for some strange reason I had a quick reminiscing fantasy of that time I knocked a bully flat out with one clean shot by the bike rack in front of high school.  (Oh the cheers) Why?  Hell if I know. But this is goos to hear! 

GO JOE! 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

let's not forget a bunch of that cap is due to mosely sitting out.  douglas is right about how he has been approaching this.  the cap carries over, there are not so many great players to sign and the jets really need to become a team before they can look for those pieces that can put them over the top.

• Post of the Week 2

We also can no longer afford paying such household names and they play average if not less like Mo W., Revis, TJ, Mosley, etc. Everyone keeps talking about how the last 10 years of drafts have ruined this team and I would say that is half of it and these over inflated contracts have been the other half. We could have had many other players for that money that would have been better than these big name guys just wanting money and to not play better than average for it and we need better than average players on the field. I am not counting coaching but we can factor that into these numbers.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Maxman said:

I am VERY good at poker. I am also an exceptional salesman. What makes me good at these things is I am very good at reading body language, eye patterns and voice inflection. I was very disappointed when I watched the video of Douglas saying this because he was clearly not telling an absolute truth. It could be as simple as he has full autonomy on roster decisions except when it comes to Jamal Adams or it could be that there is more truth to the Manish click bait statements on this than we want, but Douglas' posture, eye pattern and voice belied the words he said. Flame away

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

At yesterday’s press conference someone asked the dumbest question. J Harrison’s contract had incentives that he did not meet because of Kalil and a reporter asked why JD just didn’t give him that money anyway. 

JD gave a great answer and said he has never been around an organization, business, etc that gives money for not hitting the incentive. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Drums said:

At yesterday’s press conference someone asked the dumbest question. J Harrison’s contract had incentives that he did not meet because of Kalil and a reporter asked why JD just didn’t give him that money anyway. 

JD gave a great answer and said he has never been around an organization, business, etc that gives money for not hitting the incentive. 

Yeah, that reporter from the Daily News is trying to pick right up from where Manish left...in fact, it sounded to me like Manish handed him a list of questions to ask for him. That question and there was another I can't recall but both were trying to be "gotcha" journalism and I'm sure all the other beat reporters eyes rolled as hard as mine did at how provocative he was trying to be. 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

I am VERY good at poker. I am also an exceptional salesman. What makes me good at these things is I am very good at reading body language, eye patterns and voice inflection. I was very disappointed when I watched the video of Douglas saying this because he was clearly not telling an absolute truth. It could be as simple as he has full autonomy on roster decisions except when it comes to Jamal Adams or it could be that there is more truth to the Manish click bait statements on this than we want, but Douglas' posture, eye pattern and voice belied the words he said. Flame away

Can you tell what I'm wearing right now?

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, JetFreak89 said:

Yeah, that reporter from the Daily News is trying to pick right up from where Manish left...in fact, it sounded to me like Manish handed him a list of questions to ask for him. That question and there was another I can't recall but both were trying to be "gotcha" journalism and I'm sure all the other beat reporters eyes rolled as hard as mine did at how provocative he was trying to be. 

Oh yeah. I figured it was the Daily News guy. I saw the storyline they were trying to create there. Maybe Harrison was a source for Mehta. Who knows. 

2 hours ago, rangerous said:

let's not forget a bunch of that cap is due to mosely sitting out.  douglas is right about how he has been approaching this.  the cap carries over, there are not so many great players to sign and the jets really need to become a team before they can look for those pieces that can put them over the top.

theres also over 20 million in dead cap space.

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, JetFreak89 said:

One of the major points I loved from the Connor Hughes podcast when they were discussing the cap and Douglas not overspending in FA was that he was emphatic that all of the negative stories surrounding Douglas being cheap and not having full authority to spend came from the players' agents. They are pissed that the Jets will no longer be the go-to team for players to bump up their contracts only to sign elsewhere. There won't be anymore Kirk Cousins and Anthony Barr situations moving forward. 

Great stuff if true (Hughes' comment)

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

You forgot your most endearing quality.....modesty.?

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, rangerous said:

And meanwhile nearly most of the other NFL teams tried to spend right up to the cap like cokeheads, as if next year's cap decrease is never going to happen.  

I guess that's what GM's for most teams do when they don't have 5 years left on their contracts.  :)

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, johnnysd said:

I am VERY good at poker. I am also an exceptional salesman. What makes me good at these things is I am very good at reading body language, eye patterns and voice inflection.

There hasn't been any real edge in poker from reading physical tells since roughly the old west. Watching John Malkovich eat oreos is fun but it doesn't make you any kind of authority on anything.

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Bungaman said:

Manish had another really snarky hit piece on Douglas in today's NYDN (which I won't give a link to.) I was kind of taken aback at its hit piece quality - even for him it was very low blowing. He must be really pissed about having his creds/access downgraded.

I've come to the point where, let them write whatever they want. Darnold is a bottom 5 QB, whatever. It is time to show up and prove them wrong. It's that simple. It is on the NY Jets at this point. If JD can turn this into a winning organization, no one will read that crap. 

• Upvote 3

Believe it or not, Darnold is now the longest-tenured player on the Jets’ offense, along with Chris Herndon. Everyone else who was on the offense in 2018 when Darnold arrived is gone. That has helped Darnold find his voice, after deferring to older players in the past two years. Those guys who once viewed Darnold as a kid are gone, and anyone arriving now knows Darnold is The Man.

Joe Douglas putting stamp on Jets. Eliminating the dross.

Btw Copied the first paragraph from a newspaper

Sent from my SM-J701M using Tapatalk

On 9/7/2020 at 11:50 PM, GREENBEAN said:

Man, I didn't realize how much I was waiting to hear something like this.  It made me happy. I got excited! And for some strange reason I had a quick reminiscing fantasy of that time I knocked a bully flat out with one clean shot by the bike rack in front of high school.  (Oh the cheers) Why?  Hell if I know. But this is goos to hear! 

GO JOE! 

It made me mildly erect, I won't lie. 

15 hours ago, Waka Flocka Flacco said:

There hasn't been any real edge in poker from reading physical tells since roughly the old west. Watching John Malkovich eat oreos is fun but it doesn't make you any kind of authority on anything.

Of course Fidelio and Bitonti were 2 of the 3 people who repped his post, too.  You could come on the board and claim the Johnson's held Joe Douglas at gunpoint to ensure he didn't sign Jack Conklin and those 2 would buy it as fact.

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Bungaman said:

Manish had another really snarky hit piece on Douglas in today's NYDN (which I won't give a link to.) I was kind of taken aback at its hit piece quality - even for him it was very low blowing. He must be really pissed about having his creds/access downgraded.

Maybe he should write his next hit piece on Goodell, seeing as the NFL approved the pulling of his credentials.

Unethical guy does unethical things, continues lashing out with hit pieces in between bouts of playing Xbox.  Comical and pathetic.

I heard JD on the FAN this morning.

1 thing he said that was interesting re: salary cap was next year "worst case scenario is it goes down to 175 million". I wonder if teams have been told that's what to work with or if that is the lowest floor that is allowable by the CBA with the players.

3 hours ago, CTJetsFan said:

I heard JD on the FAN this morning.

1 thing he said that was interesting re: salary cap was next year "worst case scenario is it goes down to 175 million". I wonder if teams have been told that's what to work with or if that is the lowest floor that is allowable by the CBA with the players.

It's the lowest it can go, but even a slight increase to the cap in 2021 would be cap armageddon for a bunch of teams. 

It's $198M currently.  Say it went up to $200M next season.  The Eagles would still be a projected $58M over the cap.  The Saints would be $47M over, while the Falcons, Texans, Chiefs, Steelers and Raiders would all have less than $15M in cap space.

If the cap does indeed go down to $175M, 11 teams would be projected to be over the cap, and 5 others would have $10M or less in space.