Been out of touch, what’s up with CJ Mosely?

Jetfan13

The good news about it from the Jets standpoint is that he counts only 7.5MM to the cap next year. 

The bad news is in order to get rid of him in 2022 the team will need to take a 12.5MM cap hit (similar to Trumaine Johnson) which they will likely choose to spread across two seasons. 

I think at this point the Jets need to look at CJ as a sunk cost. It’s incredibly difficult to return to the NFL after a two year hiatus. It’s interesting that the two highest paid guys to opt out (Mosley and Hightower) were both Alabama LBs. 

• Upvote 5
  • Thumb Down 2

I was initially really disappointed by this, but I came around to the position that it really is his call and within his rights, regardless of what I think.  

However, and this is the BIG if....he got $10M of his pay for this season already in the form of a bonus, which means he plays next season for just his $6M salary.  I think and hope he's the kind of man who will come back and make every effort to be the all-pro talent and team leader we originally signed and not make any noise about salary.  It would be pathetically disingenuous but we have definitely seen that before from players who got big signing bonuses and then forgot them the next day.  Nothing to do but wait.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Jetster said:

He's a big pussy. I thought he was a leader type. Like a soldier opting out of war, disingenenous & a slap to this new regimes face after missing the entire 2019. 

Got to admit, while I thought it was a ridiculous contract Mosley seemed like the type of guy worth paying. 

-Team Captain/QB of defense 

-Tough

-Coach on the field 

-Prime of his career 

I remember an interview with Trumaine Johnson on Adam Schefters podcast after he signed in which 90 percent of the dialogue was Trumaine discussing how he played the system perfectly and still got paid after two franchise tags. Huge red flag obviously knowing what happened. 

CJ didn’t strike me as that type of guy, but perhaps the injury changed his outlook. 

31 minutes ago, Jetster said:

He's a big pussy. I thought he was a leader type. Like a soldier opting out of war, disingenenous & a slap to this new regimes face after missing the entire 2019. 

TBH we really have no clue what his family situation is.... for example how healthy everyone is , or how old everyone is .. and for this reason anyone that opts out respectfully gets pass from me. Now if he is completely healthy and his family is completely healthy ... that is a whole nother conversation. The money he is getting paid ... you would think he could sequester himself from his family for the season ... kind like our soldiers do when they are shipped out on a tour.

Edited by Dunnie
  • Upvote 4

19 minutes ago, GreekJet said:

CJ didn’t strike me as that type of guy, but perhaps the injury changed his outlook. 

i said it the moment he went down ... people often don't ever fully bounce back from a groin injury. They are often chronic injuries.

Edited by Dunnie
  • Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, pdxgreen said:

Just curious.  Say we actually show we have playoff potential and he decides he wants to be on the team.  Can he rejoin at a later date or is it opt out and that's it?

I believe the rule is that opt-out is for the entire season with no option to return.  

• Upvote 3

32 minutes ago, pdxgreen said:

Just curious.  Say we actually show we have playoff potential and he decides he wants to be on the team.  Can he rejoin at a later date or is it opt out and that's it?

That's it. If you opt out, it is for the whole season and there is no coming back.

3 hours ago, GreekJet said:

The good news about it from the Jets standpoint is that he counts only 7.5MM to the cap next year. 

The bad news is in order to get rid of him in 2022 the team will need to take a 12.5MM cap hit (similar to Trumaine Johnson) which they will likely choose to spread across two seasons. 

I think at this point the Jets need to look at CJ as a sunk cost. It’s incredibly difficult to return to the NFL after a two year hiatus. It’s interesting that the two highest paid guys to opt out (Mosley and Hightower) were both Alabama LBs. 

Agreed.  I hate to admit that I was very happy about this signing at the time.  It looks like a complete disaster right now.  I have very little faith that, after 2 years away, he'll be able to return to the form we hoped we were getting when we signed him.  

1 hour ago, Jetster said:

He's in the age group & health group that has like a .06 death rate from Covid 19. He was in on 8 plays as a Jet & has already earned 30 million from the NY Jets but decided to sit home & do what? 

I guarantee you he doesn't just stay in a bubble somewhere, goes out, mingles with friends. STOP GIVING THE LARGEST CONTRACTS EVER to positions outside of QB! Ridiculous that this Mofo opted out! 

While we have no idea what his family situation is, my hunch is that he used the Jets for a payday.  I guess I can't blame the guy.  The players and owners made an agreement and he's doing what's best for him.  If my hunch is correct, though, it's just another reason why sports has been going in the wrong direction.  This type of stuff has really been adding up over the years.  

• Upvote 1

Just now, TuscanyTile2 said:

Agreed.  I hate to admit that I was very happy about this signing at the time.  It looks like a complete disaster right now.  I have very little faith that, after 2 years away, he'll be able to return to the form we hoped we were getting when we signed him.  

The rub is he looked like he was worth every penny during the Buffalo game. If that’s possible, looked like it to me. Then his groin went and so did our ability to stop Buffalo. Yet, him coming back and being even a fraction of that good is really good in my opinion. Also, why would he? He’s use to getting paid to do whatever he wants. 

Unless of course he thinks his groin needed more time and figured this was a way to get it? Maybe it bothered him here and there and he just wanted more time to he heal. Doubtful, probably just doesn’t see the point to going out there anymore. Also no way he comes back after two years off, no way. Nothing anyone can do about it. 

• Upvote 2