Le’Veon Bell 2020

Jetster

So I went back & looked at Bell coming here in 2019 & the difference in his physique in 2020. 
He freaking ripped compared to last year, where he actually looked heavy & slow. 
Obviously we overpaid as we always do but this guy is still better than a lot of RBs in this league. I think the rift between Bell & Gase last year was the condition that Bell came into camp in. 
He was way too heavy & couidnt do what Gase was asking him to do. 
How many games did it take B4 he stopped running sideways & losing yards? How many times was he unable to beat 1 on 1 on those outside flare passes that Ben made a living with those dumpoffs under pressure. 
I don’t know what Bell has left but the guy isn’t chopped liver & his pass catching ability with the addition of Perriman, Mims with Crowder & the return of Herndon IS NOT the worst group in football (That’s ridiculous!). 
It wasn’t long ago that we started David Nelson, David Clowney & Greg Salas! 
I like to look at it if I was an opposing fan & seeing a group with 2 WRs with size & speed, Crowder gets open & catches the ball, Herndons a bit unknown but had a very decent rookie year, and Bell & Gore, though older are damn good RBs. I don’t look at that group as weak, that’s for damn sure!

• Sympathy 1

He’s never going to be fresher than he’ll be on Sunday! If he’s got something left than we might be seeing a lot of Frank Gore in the 4th quarter & that would be a beautiful thing seeing Frank pounding the rock at a gassed Bills defense! 

32 minutes ago, Jetster said:

So I went back & looked at Bell coming here in 2019 & the difference in his physique in 2020. 
He freaking ripped compared to last year, where he actually looked heavy & slow. 
Obviously we overpaid as we always do but this guy is still better than a lot of RBs in this league. I think the rift between Bell & Gase last year was the condition that Bell came into camp in. 
He was way too heavy & couidnt do what Gase was asking him to do. 
How many games did it take B4 he stopped running sideways & losing yards? How many times was he unable to beat 1 on 1 on those outside flare passes that Ben made a living with those dumpoffs under pressure. 
I don’t know what Bell has left but the guy isn’t chopped liver & his pass catching ability with the addition of Perriman, Mims with Crowder & the return of Herndon IS NOT the worst group in football (That’s ridiculous!). 
It wasn’t long ago that we started David Nelson, David Clowney & Greg Salas! 
I like to look at it if I was an opposing fan & seeing a group with 2 WRs with size & speed, Crowder gets open & catches the ball, Herndons a bit unknown but had a very decent rookie year, and Bell & Gore, though older are damn good RBs. I don’t look at that group as weak, that’s for damn sure!

good points.  tough to run without an oline driving the dline down field. as for the receivers, there's no doubt they're better off this season as opposed to last.  if the oline can keep darnold clean we're going to see some good deep plys.

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, SAR I said:

75 degrees, humid, rainy, and 18 mph winds.

Ground & Pound and 2 TE's and 2 Slot receivers is the strategy.  Hot and humid and sticky, conditioning is important, look for a lot of substitutions and rotations on a by-quarter basis.

SAR I

I wish I thought 75* was hot... 

The ‘best shape of his life’ stories get old quick - most never amount to improved performance on the field, and reports were Bell looks like the same slow back we saw in 2019.  

the questions that will determine his 2020 success  are - 1) can our new line block we’ll enough to complement his running style? 2) have the last few weeks of practice shown that Gase finally realizes Bell excels as a pass catcher and should be utilized accordingly?

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, SAR I said:

75 degrees, humid, rainy, and 18 mph winds.

Ground & Pound and 2 TE's and 2 Slot receivers is the strategy.  Hot and humid and sticky, conditioning is important, look for a lot of substitutions and rotations on a by-quarter basis.

SAR I

Ground & pound will work great as the starless defense gives up tons of points.  I look forward to draw plays on 3rd and 8, down by 24 in the 4th ¼.  If there is one thing we dont want to find out this year it is if Darnold is a franchise QB. 

• WTF? 1

12 hours ago, shuler82 said:

2) have the last few weeks of practice shown that Gase finally realizes Bell excels as a pass catcher and should be utilized accordingly?

Bell got 78 targets for 66 receptions last year. He was used accordingly unless you think we should made him 100% of our offense. I'm guessing the rest of the WRs would be quite pissed after 3 games of that.

It comes down to O-line capability when all is said and done.

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, shuler82 said:

The ‘best shape of his life’ stories get old quick - most never amount to improved performance on the field, and reports were Bell looks like the same slow back we saw in 2019.  

Yep.  That's because the LB's and DL trying to tackle him will also be in great shape.  His job is to be a professional athlete in great shape.  It's a baseline expectation, and it doesn't guarantee production.  All it does is ensure is you might not run out of gas later in the season.