Jump to content

“If They Don’t Bite as Puppies


JetsLife
 Share

Recommended Posts

42 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Dorian boose says hi

 

14 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

So does Orlando Pace from the Hall of Fame 

 

13 minutes ago, JiF said:

Remember when Parcells took an enormous dump on the entire franchise, cost us Manning, gave birth to the Patriots and yet Jets fans all around the country treat him like a god?

good times!

You deserve nothing

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

parcells had a lot of saying like that.  most are spot on.  he was great at motivating his players.  i think the best coaching effort i ever saw was in 99 when they started out 1-5 or so and finished 8-8 with ray lucas.  on the other hand i sincerely feel he purposely sabotaged a game back in 97 when he pulled odonnell in the final detroit game for lucas (or maybe it was leon johnson)who threw an int in the red zone.  a win would have put them in the playoffs.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, rangerous said:

parcells had a lot of saying like that.  most are spot on.  he was great at motivating his players.  i think the best coaching effort i ever saw was in 99 when they started out 1-5 or so and finished 8-8 with ray lucas.  on the other hand i sincerely feel he purposely sabotaged a game back in 97 when he pulled odonnell in the final detroit game for lucas (or maybe it was leon johnson)who threw an int in the red zone.  a win would have put them in the playoffs.

1999?  When he hung on to that sh*t Rick Mirer like grim death while they dropped game after game?  That is the year you want to point to?  Did Rick Mirer bite as a ******* puppy?  Bill Parcells is not the expert that I want picking my QBs.  

FWIW, the fat **** didn't really "pull" O'Donnnell.  He used Ray Lucas like a wildcat in that game.  Using him on 3rd and short.  The success Lucas had went to his head and when Lucas converted a 3rd and long he gave Lucas the series.  We were promptly rewarded with an INT, and we didn't see Lucas no mo'.  I'm not sure why you try a halfback option pass with a rookie RB on 1st down from the 9 yard line when you are down 3.  They sh*t away a 10 point lead in that game.  Just like they did the following year in Denver.  2 of the biggest choke jobs we have endured.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

Peyton Manning's rookie season:

 

1436330764_ScreenShot2020-09-09at8_54_51PM.thumb.png.14c4b8889a83898a27cf257f577d417d.png

 

Most of these "words of wisdom" are just flash and no substance. 

To be fair he showed flashes of greatness (including leading a big comeback against us which was our only loss in the last 11 games of that season), the quote doesn't mean the player is great from day 1.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

1999?  When he hung on to that sh*t Rick Mirer like grim death while they dropped game after game?  That is the year you want to point to?  Did Rick Mirer bite as a ******* puppy?  Bill Parcells is not the expert that I want picking my QBs.  

FWIW, the fat **** didn't really "pull" O'Donnnell.  He used Ray Lucas like a wildcat in that game.  Using him on 3rd and short.  The success Lucas had went to his head and when Lucas converted a 3rd and long he gave Lucas the series.  We were promptly rewarded with an INT, and we didn't see Lucas no mo'.  I'm not sure why you try a halfback option pass with a rookie RB on 1st down from the 9 yard line when you are down 3.  They sh*t away a 10 point lead in that game.  Just like they did the following year in Denver.  2 of the biggest choke jobs we have endured.

^^^Unhinged cancel culture

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

Peyton Manning's rookie season:

 

1436330764_ScreenShot2020-09-09at8_54_51PM.thumb.png.14c4b8889a83898a27cf257f577d417d.png

 

Most of these "words of wisdom" are just flash and no substance. 

I mean, 26 TDs and 3700 yards for a rookie sort of feels like "biting".  We've crowned Sam Darnold a "franchise QB/Top 10 QB" here, and he's never thrown 20, and topped out at a hair over 3000 yards.

  • Upvote 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, TeddEY said:

I mean, 26 TDs and 3700 yards for a rookie sort of feels like "biting".  We've crowned Sam Darnold a "franchise QB/Top 10 QB" here, and he's never thrown 20, and topped out at a hair over 3000 yards.

Meh, he had Marshall Faulk with 2200 yards from scrimmage that year and still threw 28 interceptions.

He also went, what, 2-14? 3-13?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

1999?  When he hung on to that sh*t Rick Mirer like grim death while they dropped game after game?  That is the year you want to point to?  Did Rick Mirer bite as a ******* puppy?  Bill Parcells is not the expert that I want picking my QBs.  

FWIW, the fat **** didn't really "pull" O'Donnnell.  He used Ray Lucas like a wildcat in that game.  Using him on 3rd and short.  The success Lucas had went to his head and when Lucas converted a 3rd and long he gave Lucas the series.  We were promptly rewarded with an INT, and we didn't see Lucas no mo'.  I'm not sure why you try a halfback option pass with a rookie RB on 1st down from the 9 yard line when you are down 3.  They sh*t away a 10 point lead in that game.  Just like they did the following year in Denver.  2 of the biggest choke jobs we have endured.

i guess you don't like parcells.  there's a lot to dislike but there's no denying he was a very good coach.  as far as the jets go he should've stuck around longer as coach.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

Meh, he had Marshall Faulk with 2200 yards from scrimmage that year and still threw 28 interceptions.

He also went, what, 2-14? 3-13?

If the question is, was that a good season, then perhaps no.  If the question is, did he flash something meaningful, I'd certainly say yes.

All that being said, I'm pretty sure the parcells quote is more on the nose, and about aggression, not potential.

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

If the question is, was that a good season, then perhaps no.  If the question is, did he flash something meaningful, I'd certainly say yes.

All that being said, I'm pretty sure the parcells quote is more on the nose, and about aggression, not potential.

I'm not sure how much it is about aggression or potential.  I think it works for both.  Guys don't have to be awesome as rookies, but they should show something that makes you understand why they were drafted so high.

I remember the early days of Pennington and in camp they were complaining that he was afraid to make mistakes.  That is what I think of when I read this and I guess that is more aggression than potential.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, rangerous said:

i guess you don't like parcells.  there's a lot to dislike but there's no denying he was a very good coach.  as far as the jets go he should've stuck around longer as coach.

I hate that fat ****.  I admit he was a very good coach, but he cost us two seasons with moronic decisions.  I liked him better as a "culture builder" than as a coach, and much of that came from his pedigree.  He certainly should have stuck around longer, but that was his M.O.  Do the quick turnaround and then run off to somewhere else before the job was finished.  In short, he was a dick that ran out on us.  Just like he ran out on the Pats and the Bucs before us.  Oh, and he is fat.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, TeddEY said:

I mean, 26 TDs and 3700 yards for a rookie sort of feels like "biting".  We've crowned Sam Darnold a "franchise QB/Top 10 QB" here, and he's never thrown 20, and topped out at a hair over 3000 yards.

Meanwhile....

Peyton Manning's 2nd season:

  • 13-3 record, AFC East division title
  • 62.1 % completions
  • 26 TDs/15 INTs
  • 7.8 Yards per Attempt

Sam Darnold's 2nd season:

  • Made out with dirty Morristown chick, got mono
  • 7-6 record, which included wins over teams led by Daniel Jones, Dwayne Haskins, Mason Rudolph/Devlin Hodges and Matt Barkley
  • Swept Bills according to SAR I
  • 61.9 % completions
  • 19 TDs/13 INTs
  • 6.9 Yards per Attempt
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Meanwhile....

Peyton Manning's 2nd season:

  • 13-3 record, AFC East division title
  • 62.1 % completions
  • 26 TDs/15 INTs
  • 7.8 Yards per Attempt

Sam Darnold's 2nd season:

  • Made out with dirty Morristown chick, got mono
  • 7-6 record, which included wins over teams led by Daniel Jones, Dwayne Haskins, Mason Rudolph/Devlin Hodges and Matt Barkley
  • Swept Bills according to SAR I
  • 61.9 % completions
  • 19 TDs/13 INTs
  • 6.9 Yards per Attempt

And Peyton only had All Pro James at RB and All Pro Harrison at W/R. Sam had  the much better players on O..😇

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, TeddEY said:

If the question is, was that a good season, then perhaps no.  If the question is, did he flash something meaningful, I'd certainly say yes.

All that being said, I'm pretty sure the parcells quote is more on the nose, and about aggression, not potential.

If it's about aggression and grit, I can totally understand it.

But that's the problem with citing quotes like this; it's incredibly subjective to apply in any meaningful way. And if we go back to the 'potential' interpretation; Shonn Greene flashed his rookie year, and he quickly fizzled out of the NFL. 

And if we apply the aggression/grit interpretation, seems like Mo Wilk & Sheldon Richardson showed plenty of those two traits... then it felt like, overnight, did not care about the game anymore.

Anyways, the season is about start and we'll actually be able to talk about the present instead of the past & future. Go Jets. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share



×
×
  • Create New...