Bleacher Report Jets v. Bills Predictions

Warfish

6 minutes ago, docdhc said:

Let’s talk Sunday at 4 pm. Then we’ll really know. With no preseason it’s anybody’s guess how good we are. 

Teams with continuity will have major edge, especially in Week 1.  Hence why I would give the Jets roughly a 3-5 % chance of winning this week.  95 times out of 100 this Buffalo team should win this game.  

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Teams with continuity will have major edge, especially in Week 1.  Hence why I would give the Jets roughly a 3-5 % chance of winning this week.  95 times out of 100 this Buffalo team should win this game.  

While i agree that teams with continuity should have an advantage, there are a few mitigating circumstances.  First, there’s no fans there so the home field advantage is more or less nullified.  Second, buffalo doesn’t score a lot, so they’re mostly reliant on a dominant defense and not turning it over with a turnover prone qb.  Third, it’s a divisional game and that often makes games closer.  Fourth, the jets probably have the better qb, and hopefully darnold proves this.  Fifth, considering how Greg williams got a no-name jets D to overachieve last year, if he can do it again then it’s as always on darnold and the OL.  

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

While i agree that teams with continuity should have an advantage, there are a few mitigating circumstances.  First, there’s no fans there so the home field advantage is more or less nullified.  Second, buffalo doesn’t score a lot, so they’re mostly reliant on a dominant defense and not turning it over with a turnover prone qb.  Third, it’s a divisional game and that often makes games closer.  Fourth, the jets probably have the better qb, and hopefully darnold proves this.  Fifth, considering how Greg williams got a no-name jets D to overachieve last year, if he can do it again then it’s as always on darnold and the OL.  

The fan impact is somewhat mitigated, but a road game is still a road game.  You're playing in another team's stadium and they're going to be pumping in crowd noise to disrupt our offense.  Let's call it a 1 point homefield edge rather than the usual 3.  The Bills would still the favorites by 3-4 points.  In what I expect to be a low-scoring game (see next paragraph), that would still a fairly significant point spread.

Buffalo doesn't score a lot, but neither will we, especially early in the season with a brand new OL.  There's a reason the O/U for this game is 39.5.  It'll be a rock fight, and that suits Buffalo's style just fine.  

Darnold > Allen for sure, but at basically all 21 other starting spots on the field, the Bills have a vast edge.  Darnold would have to ball out in a major way to bridge the gap.

I like the chances for this year's Jets team to perform better than last year's, but that won't be on display in the first 4 weeks of the season, especially not Week 1.  Sunday will be when the team is at its worst.

2 hours ago, rangerous said:

and just what does this mean?  not much.  the jets have improved over last season and it's hard to see how the bills have.  yeah they added a very good wr but they still have allen throwing and these two will need time to get their act together.

Dude lol. That's super homer-us. They added Quinton Jefferson, Vernon Butler, Josh Norman, Mario Addison, Stefon Diggs ... and then their draft picks. That's pretty stacked.

We get better too. A whole new OL basically.  

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, DonMaynardFan said:

Who bets to win $32 though? So lame. Go big or go home.

I dunno, people who want to actually win money?  lol.  If you're going to bet (already an ill-advised financial decision), why not bet smart?  If betting is all about thrill-seeking, there are other, cheaper ways to get that fix.

I'm not really a betting man though so what do I know....

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

The fan impact is somewhat mitigated, but a road game is still a road game.  You're playing in another team's stadium and they're going to be pumping in crowd noise to disrupt our offense.  Let's call it a 1 point homefield edge rather than the usual 3.  The Bills would still the favorites by 3-4 points.  In what I expect to be a low-scoring game (see next paragraph), that would still a fairly significant point spread.

Buffalo doesn't score a lot, but neither will we, especially early in the season with a brand new OL.  There's a reason the O/U for this game is 39.5.  It'll be a rock fight, and that suits Buffalo's style just fine.  

Darnold > Allen for sure, but at basically all 21 other starting spots on the field, the Bills have a vast edge.  Darnold would have to ball out in a major way to bridge the gap.

I like the chances for this year's Jets team to perform better than last year's, but that won't be on display in the first 4 weeks of the season, especially not Week 1.  Sunday will be when the team is at its worst.

if the true points difference between the best team in the division at home, and the jets, who are widely considered to be one of the worst teams in the entire nfl, is only 3-4 points, i'll take that.  when you play teams that don't score like buffalo, your margin for error decreases.  also buffalo now has the weight of great expectations of being a playoff team and being favored to win the division and not all teams can handle the elevated predictions.  and who knows how allen will react if he falters early and turns it over, like he did in the playoffs last year.

finally, you have a team in the jets, and qb in darnold, who feel they have a lot to prove.  darnold in particular must feel like last year's opener was robbed from him.  the jets go into this game with nothing to lose, darnold can really air it out and show off his arm and chuck it up for perriman and mims and finally have herndon.  

2 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

Also — still super confused why Bills fans are still lurking around here. *looks at who’s viewing this thread* 

Never done this before. That little bit of confidence they gained sure has proved to be annoying as sh*t.

we just having a good time, reading up on yall, and hoping for a good game!  All I want is good officiating, no cheap shots, both teams respecting each other and the game of football, and a fun matchup.  So tote that rock, sling that ball, Touch down, touch down, win it all....gooooooo team!!!!  good luck sunday!!

12 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

if the true points difference between the best team in the division at home, and the jets, who are widely considered to be one of the worst teams in the entire nfl, is only 3-4 points, i'll take that.  when you play teams that don't score like buffalo, your margin for error decreases. 

That's only true if the underdog is a high scoring team.  We will not be, especially not in Week 1.

When you have 2 low-scoring teams facing each other, a 4-point gap feels like a 14-point gap.

12 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

finally, you have a team in the jets, and qb in darnold, who feel they have a lot to prove.  darnold in particular must feel like last year's opener was robbed from him.  the jets go into this game with nothing to lose, darnold can really air it out and show off his arm and chuck it up for perriman and mims and finally have herndon.  

That's all fine and good, but Mims hasn't practiced with Darnold at all until this week.  He's not going to be "throwing it up" for Mims this week.  Mims is the backup to Perriman and Hogan.  He and Darnold will have to develop chemistry before he can get a lot of meaningful snaps and targets.  Perriman will be another story, though.  I think he has a very good season, and one where he starts producing pretty early in the season.  But he's going up against Tre'Davious White this week.

Darnold certainly has something to prove, and I think he will indeed play well this year.  Just not in Week 1 and probably not Week 2 or 3, either.

5 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

That's only true if the underdog is a high scoring team.  We will not be, especially not in Week 1.

When you have 2 low-scoring teams facing each other, a 4-point gap feels like a 14-point gap.

That's all fine and good, but Mims hasn't practiced with Darnold at all until this week.  He's not going to be "throwing it up" for Mims this week.  Mims is the backup to Perriman and Hogan.  He and Darnold will have to develop chemistry before he can get a lot of meaningful snaps and targets.  Perriman will be another story, though.  I think he has a very good season, and one where he starts producing pretty early in the season.  But he's going up against Tre'Davious White this week.

Darnold certainly has something to prove, and I think he will indeed play well this year.  Just not in Week 1 and probably not Week 2 or 3, either.

I think it does matter, because there’s going to be a variance each week for each team’s offense around their mean.  So if buffalo’s average points is 20 or so, the jets wouldn’t need 30+ to win.  If you’re playing NE with Brady you know you’re going to need to outscore them.  With buffalo you can play bend but don’t break and still hopefully create a few turnovers.  

With the jets, what they’ve really been deficient with is big plays.  Yeah, mims hasn’t practiced much, but you can still throw 4 wrs out there which may put him in single coverage and throw it up and hope his long frame can get it or draw a PI call.  I do expect darnold to air it out early and often.

yall who cares what the experts say about us!!  Right or wrong, let's just go out there, have fun, stay healthy, and enjoy the game of football!  If Darnold tosses a few pick 6's, who cares?  Life is great and we are gonna enjoy it to the fullest!!  hut, hut, ,hut, hike!!!!!  We ready for some wings, maybe some BBQ, ice cold beer, and maybe a jerk or two!  gooooooooooo team!!

9 minutes ago, RocketBills said:

yall who cares what the experts say about us!!  Right or wrong, let's just go out there, have fun, stay healthy, and enjoy the game of football!  If Darnold tosses a few pick 6's, who cares?  Life is great and we are gonna enjoy it to the fullest!!  hut, hut, ,hut, hike!!!!!  We ready for some wings, maybe some BBQ, ice cold beer, and maybe a jerk or two!  gooooooooooo team!!

@joewilly12  @JiF

17 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

It does?  The last time that was true was 2009.

I'm not saying we are magical and will win when they pick against us, but I believe they picked against us in every game since 2009. 

Guess I sometimes like when these analysts have to back track and then all of a sudden that's when the jets are relevant to mention on their show, but once we get our name thrown around on shows, we follow it up with a bad game.

I'm sure you can go through the stats and see it's not 100% true, just making a general statement

1 minute ago, jj71787 said:

I'm not saying we are magical and will win when they pick against us, but I believe they picked against us in every game since 2009. 

Guess I sometimes like when these analysts have to back track and then all of a sudden that's when the jets are relevant to mention on their show, but once we get our name thrown around on shows, we follow it up with a bad game.

I'm sure you can go through the stats and see it's not 100% true, just making a general statement

very true.  But again, who cares if they pick against us?  As long as we have fun and sling that rock around for 4 quarters, win or lose, we are champions in our own minds and that's all that matters!! goooooooo team!!

5 minutes ago, jj71787 said:

From Week 15 of the 2011 season to the present day, that's been a very safe bet.  We're 49-82 (.374) with 0 playoff appearances in that span.

3 hours ago, rangerous said:

and just what does this mean?  not much.  the jets have improved over last season and it's hard to see how the bills have.  yeah they added a very good wr but they still have allen throwing and these two will need time to get their act together.

..but Darnold and Perriman/Mims don't? We should expect sloppiness all around

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ChuckkieB said:

I'm expecting Darnold and the offense to step up in 2020, and yes, I think he'll move the ball on this defense on Sunday. Despite the shiny defensive numbers, I think the Bills are overrated and over-hyped, much like the Browns were last year, and can be had by a good QB.  This game will be step 1 to convince the non believers once and for all that Darnold is long term legit.  

except they are legitimately NOTHING like the browns. The Browns were all flash with holes everywhere, specifically offensive line, and new coaches and coordinators. The Bills starters are all solid players, with an above average offensive line, weapons who can keep their mouth shut and one of the best, if not the best secondaries in the NFL.  If you pair that secondary with the play of Edmunds and Oliver in the middle, its going to be very hard to move the ball. On top of that, they return all 3 main coaches. I honestly dont see more than 2 jets starters that could even start on the bills. 

I wanna hope for the Jets to do something encouraging this year, because we've had a ton of duds in the past, but this Buffalo team is so far ahead of us. We are basically where they were to start last year, but without the talent on defense and quality receivers. 

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

75 decibel limit,  which is not a big deal.  And betcha your last dollar the Jets will have someone monitoring that.   Probably the league as well

3 hours ago, rangerous said:

It seems like they improved more than we did. We have a bunch of pieces of a line that might not mesh, they have a decent line that brings back everyone. They brought in one of the best receivers in the game, one whos game matches the strength of allens and might help with the weaknesses. Diggs, Brown and Beasley the best trio in the AFC East. They upgrade from a decrepit Frank Gore to a rookie RB who's gonna be very good. Their defense is so much better than the Jets defense, and its not even close.

15 minutes ago, InGaseYouMissedIt said:

except they are legitimately NOTHING like the browns. The Browns were all flash with holes everywhere, specifically offensive line, and new coaches and coordinators. The Bills starters are all solid players, with an above average offensive line, weapons who can keep their mouth shut and one of the best, if not the best secondaries in the NFL.  If you pair that secondary with the play of Edmunds and Oliver in the middle, its going to be very hard to move the ball. On top of that, they return all 3 main coaches. I honestly dont see more than 2 jets starters that could even start on the bills. 

I wanna hope for the Jets to do something encouraging this year, because we've had a ton of duds in the past, but this Buffalo team is so far ahead of us. We are basically where they were to start last year, but without the talent on defense and quality receivers. 

I disagree.  Both teams were the darlings of the media their respective off-seasons and came into the new season with improved rosters and a ton of hype and expectations. The Bills are about to get spanked by the Jets and the rest of the league.  The book is out on Allen.  He's not a good QB and will prove that this year.  

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Worst?  Probably not.  Are we "anywhere near" the worst team?  Absolutely.  Name 5 rosters worse than ours.  You can't.  Jacksonville, Washington, and Miami are the only teams with decidedly worse rosters.

Because of Gregg Williams we're probably going to perform like the 24th/25th best team rather than 28th or so.  But that still puts us close enough to the bottom to say we're "nearly" the worst.

Agree to disagree. Along with those teams, I'd put the Giants, Lions, Bengals easily behind us. There's also an argument to be made that teams like Chicago and Denver would all lose running away to the Jets. That's just off the top of my head. 

1 hour ago, Augustiniak said:

With the jets, what they’ve really been deficient with is big plays.  Yeah, mims hasn’t practiced much, but you can still throw 4 wrs out there which may put him in single coverage and throw it up and hope his long frame can get it or draw a PI call.  I do expect darnold to air it out early and often.

Bills secondary is at a minimum top three in the league, with most pieces with three years of continuity. They’re going to be in midseason form back there. The Jets could try to throw early and often, but I gotta believe that if “sloppy” play is involved (and the consensus is play WILL be sloppy), it won’t be from the Bills...

Teams can run on the Bills, and the Bills have a lot of turnover up front. The Jets could exploit that, but for their new offensive line. So... bad matchup for the Jets.

• Upvote 1

I'll be honest -- I would not be shocked if the Bills just killed us. They definitely have more talent top to bottom and the pre-season injuries at WR and all-new o-line feels like we could have a really bad day on offense. It's not an ideal first game for us.

But the idea the Jets are "the worst team in football" and the Bills are one of the best, toughest, most disciplined teams in the NFL just doesn't jive with reality. These teams were NOT that far apart last year. Both had very good defenses and bad to inconsistent offenses. They were lucky to eek out that Week 1 game -- their offense was totally inept while Mosley was in (and yes, I know he's not playing this year.) 

I really think the Bills are one of the most overrated, overhyped teams in recent memory. 

4 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

Also — still super confused why Bills fans are still lurking around here. *looks at who’s viewing this thread* 

Never done this before. That little bit of confidence they gained sure has proved to be annoying as sh*t.

Don't be mean to them though.... I got a one day suspension for abusing their delicate sensibilities.

Dave Chappelle Reaction GIF by swerk

9 minutes ago, ChuckkieB said:

I disagree.  Both teams were the darlings of the media their respective off-seasons and came into the new season with improved rosters and a ton of hype and expectations. The Bills are about to get spanked by the Jets and the rest of the league.  The book is out on Allen.  He's not a good QB and will prove that this year.  

I think the difference is most evident in the fact that the Browns never actually built a winning foundation before they were propped up as next-in-line.

And, honestly, as far as “next-in-line” goes I’ve yet to see anyone pick the Bills to make it out of the divisional round.