What Does A Successful Season Look Like

BettyBoop

The NFL starts tonight and we're all excited to see how (or how much) our Jets have improved.  While some are predicting great success (e.g., AFC East Champions), most are more realistic about our chances.  Here are my criteria.

• The most obvious is Sam Darnold's progression.  I don't think he's going to show us he's a legit franchise QB this year but he's likely to improve on his stats not unlike he did between his first and second year.  More than that, he must cut down on the bonehead mistakes.  As long as the OL improves and Herndon and Crowder stay healthy, I think he will.  
  • The OL must show major progress.  It will be a successful year if Becton is the real deal, McGovern is our center of the future and one other guy plays steady football.  If three OL are solid it and the others are not a complete disaster (see 2019 New York Jets) will be a good year. With all of the draft picks Douglas next year has I expect him to select a stud Guard to fit in between LT and C to have a "Colts-like" OL on the left side.  Another X factor is Fant.  If he is the one to step up, this group could be a strength next year.
  • I'm most excited to see how the rookies perform.  If Mims, Davis and Perrine play well there is great hope that we finally have our GM to lead this team out of the wilderness.  The importance of this should not be overlooked.  If the rookies crash and burn as they have in the past, all bets are off.
  • Other key positions:  Cornerbacks are a great concern and it would be extremely beneficial if some guys stepped up.  In particular, if Bless truly becomes a bonafide starter and lives up to his potential (and self promotion), the defense will be greatly improved.  If Desir is capable, if not spectacular, the position could be a strength.  If Bryce Hall becomes this year's Bless it would be a blessing.  A LOT of IF's!
  • It's time for Gase to shine.  Period.  If he does, great.  We'll have our onfield leader.  If not, it will be time to hit the reset button.  AGAIN.

If all or most of these pan out, it will be a good year.  So those are my most pressing criteria.  Have at it.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, BettyBoop said:

The NFL starts tonight and we're all excited to see how (or how much) our Jets have improved.  While some are predicting great success (e.g., AFC East Champions), most are more realistic about our chances.  Here are my criteria.

• The most obvious is Sam Darnold's progression.  I don't think he's going to show us he's a legit franchise QB this year but he's likely to improve on his stats not unlike he did between his first and second year.  More than that, he must cut down on the bonehead mistakes.  As long as the OL improves and Herndon and Crowder stay healthy, I think he will.  
  • The OL must show major progress.  It will be a successful year if Becton is the real deal, McGovern is our center of the future and one other guy plays steady football.  If three OL are solid it and the others are not a complete disaster (see 2019 New York Jets) will be a good year. With all of the draft picks Douglas next year has I expect him to select a stud Guard to fit in between LT and C to have a "Colts-like" OL on the left side.  Another X factor is Fant.  If he is the one to step up, this group could be a strength next year.
  • I'm most excited to see how the rookies perform.  If Mims, Davis and Perrine play well there is great hope that we finally have our GM to lead this team out of the wilderness.  The importance of this should not be overlooked.  If the rookies crash and burn as they have in the past, all bets are off.
  • Other key positions:  Cornerbacks are a great concern and it would be extremely beneficial if some guys stepped up.  In particular, if Bless truly becomes a bonafide starter and lives up to his potential (and self promotion), the defense will be greatly improved.  If Desir is capable, if not spectacular, the position could be a strength.  If Bryce Hall becomes this year's Bless it would be a blessing.  A LOT of IF's!
  • It's time for Gase to shine.  Period.  If he does, great.  We'll have our onfield leader.  If not, it will be time to hit the reset button.  AGAIN.

If all or most of these pan out, it will be a good year.  So those are my most pressing criteria.  Have at it.

pretty basic lists.  i think the best we can say is it all depends.  it depends on how quickly the oline can work together.  it depends on how fast darnold gets into a groove with his receivers.  it depends on how much bell actually has given last year's performance.  it depends on how much of last year's defensive play carries over to this year.  it depends on how many injuries the team gets throughout the year.  and, of course it depends if darnold can continue to make good decisions in the passing game and not turn the ball over.

i know it's pretty basic and some should be weighed more than others but i think if they can hit on 80% or more of these then they could easily be a playoff team.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, BettyBoop said:

I won’t be able to answer this until I’ve actually experienced a successful season.

• Haha 1

There are a bunch of different ways the season could play out that could be considered "successes" but the simple and most obvious is win more games than you lose, which in a 7 team playoff probably means postseason.

I don't think anyone could call the season unsuccessful if we get back to the playoffs for the first time in 10 years.

14 minutes ago, SAR I said:

The so-called experts say the Jets have the worst roster in the NFL and that our O/U is 6.5 games.  

So a successful season that meets all rational criteria has the Jets going 6-10.

SAR I

6 wins would be "under" 6.5.

You're also leaving out the odds btw.  That's a very big factor in gambling.

EDIT:

For example, Tampa Bay's O/U is 8.5.  But the over is -280 (risk $280 to win $100) while the under is +230 (risk $100 to win $230)

However, for the Jets, over 6.5 is +110 (risk $100 to win $110) while under 6.5 is -$130 (risk 130 to win $100)

• Upvote 3

10 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

6 wins would be "under" 6.5.

You're also leaving out the odds btw.  That's a very big factor in gambling.

EDIT:

For example, Tampa Bay's O/U is 8.5.  But the over is -280 (risk $280 to win $100) while the under is +230 (risk $100 to win $230)

However, for the Jets, over 6.5 is +110 (risk $100 to win $110) while under 6.5 is -$130 (risk 130 to win $100)

That's designed to tempt Jets fans to take the under.

Most experts have the Jets at 5-11 or 6-10 so I went with 6-10.  You can have 7-9 if you like.  

The point is, just like last season, you can't expect the Jets to have a Top 16 offense and a Top 10 defense if they have a Bottom 5 roster.  You can't scream at Gase for lack of production and a losing season if that's what the experts believe we are to expect.

If your 3-legged horse finishes last in the Kentucky Derby, you don't blame the jockey.

SAR I

4 minutes ago, SAR I said:

That's designed to tempt Jets fans to take the under.

Most experts have the Jets at 5-11 or 6-10 so I went with 6-10.  You can have 7-9 if you like.  

The point is, just like last season, you can't expect the Jets to have a Top 16 offense and a Top 10 defense if they have a Bottom 5 roster.  You can't scream at Gase for lack of production and a losing season if that's what the experts believe we are to expect.

If your 3-legged horse finishes last in the Kentucky Derby, you don't blame the jockey.

SAR I

It's the opposite.  It's designed to make it more tempting to bet the over (you only have to risk $100 but you'll win $110).  Meanwhile it's penalizing you for taking the under (in order to win $100, you have to risk $130).  Basically it means they expect the public would bet "under 6.5". 

The bookies don't want to move the number down (e.g. to 6) so they change the odds.

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, SAR I said:

The so-called experts say the Jets have the worst roster in the NFL and that our O/U is 6.5 games.  

So a successful season that meets all rational criteria has the Jets going 6-10.

SAR I

So I post a realistic, plausible and somewhat optimistic message and you play the victim card???

1 hour ago, BettyBoop said:

So I post a realistic, plausible and somewhat optimistic message and you play the victim card???

Not at all.  I’m an outlier.  1) I have high hopes for this season.   2) I am bought-in to the five-year Gase/Douglas plan.   

The rest of you?  The reality card that the vast majority of you live by says that the Jets are a 5-11 league bottom dweller whose ceiling is 7-9.  So, in simplest terms, if the Jets achieve a mean of 6-10 that’s a successful season.   

Let me know if that makes sense, BB. 

SAR I

3 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I am hereby issuing a playoff mandate for this to be considered a successful season. Anything less should result in this guy being our new head coach.

usa_today_11928659.0.jpg

LOL. We're not even recovered from the 10 years of roster mismanagement and failures going back to Rex and Tanny and through Mac. 

8-8 and an average, productive offense would be huge strides. 

Aside from getting coffee for Andy,  babysitting Mahomes,  and tuning up girlfriends, we don't even know what Bienemy does. 

Nope.

3 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I am hereby issuing a playoff mandate for this to be considered a successful season. Anything less should result in this guy being our new head coach.

usa_today_11928659.0.jpg

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/antonio-cromartie-calls-for-adam-gases-job-wants-jets-to-hire-eric-bieniemy/ar-BBZQh53?ocid=spartandhp

1 hour ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Aside from getting coffee for Andy,  babysitting Mahomes,  and tuning up girlfriends, we don't even know what Bienemy does. 

Andy Reid has been grooming Bieniemy to be a future HC the last few years.  That worked out pretty well for Doug Pederson.  Reid was calling the plays then, too.  

8 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

How many interviews did Pederson bomb? Or assault women? 

1) What evidence do we have he bombed any interviews?  He was a Rooney Rule interview for several teams, which in many cases means it wasn't a real interview.  But I didn't see anything to suggest he doesn't interview well.

2) Yes, his assault of a woman (women?) back in the 1990s with Colorado was deplorable.   Vance Joseph's crimes were arguably even worse yet he got a shot as a HC.  And Bieniemy has been without incident, from a criminal perspective, since the early 2000s.   It is not a relevant concern when it comes to his ability (or inability) to get a HC job in the present day.