Mims Downgraded

9 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

That's how the draft is supposed to operate.  Draft picks impact the next 5 years or more of a franchise's future.  The immediate impact on the upcoming season is on the low end of things a GM needs to be considering when making his picks.  

Many Jets fans here only think the draft is there to provide instant gratification, and that's just not how any successful GM should be operating.  Especially not one that has a 6-year contract and has the luxury to only really be thinking about the long game.  

It's obviously a tough situation for Darnold, since he's a young QB who needs pieces around him to be properly evaluated.  But Douglas didn't draft Darnold and he's not responsible for the mess Macc made.  Any cleanup efforts that look to focus on 2020 rather than 2023 are ill-advised and only tend to lead to more messes down the road.  His only concern needs to be methodically adding pieces to build a strong roster over the long haul.  Getting pissed at Douglas over that reality is just misdirected vitriol that deserves to go to the owners and the prior GM's.

The problem for douglas is that after this season he’ll probably have to pay darnold a ton of money if they intend to keep him.  The more good players they added on offense this past offseason to help evaluate him, the better.  The worst thing they could do is have a repeat of last year, but douglas did do his best to revamp the OL.  I think we’ll know right away if an improved OL means a significantly bettter qb.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Well if you read into how he conducted the draft and by trading adams, he definitely has a longer term view and wasn’t too concerned about really retooling the offensive skill positions this year.  2 of his first 4 picks were defense.  

Cherry picking much? Two of his first two and five of his first seven picks were offense. You literally picked the only “X of first Y” picks in the entire draft that possibly looks bad.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Augustiniak said:

The problem for douglas is that after this season he’ll probably have to pay darnold a ton of money if they intend to keep him.  

No, he doesn't.  There's 2 years left (with the 5th year option) on Darnold's rookie deal after this season, and the franchise tag is an option as well.  

Just because other teams are extending their QB's after 3 seasons doesn't mean the Jets have to.  Year 3 is just the START of the window for when you can extend guys on their rookie deals.  What's the problem with giving him 2020 and 2021 and THEN making your decision?

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

No, he doesn't.  There's 2 years left (with the 5th year option) on Darnold's rookie deal after this season, and the franchise tag is an option as well.  

Just because other teams are extending their QB's after 3 seasons doesn't mean the Jets have to.  Year 3 is just the START of the window for when you can extend guys on their rookie deals.  What's the problem with giving him 2020 and 2021 and THEN making your decision?

There’s been a trend doing this because every year you delay the market prices increases.  So there’s often been an incentive to lock these guys up earlier.

18 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Well if you read into how he conducted the draft and by trading adams, he definitely has a longer term view and wasn’t too concerned about really retooling the offensive skill positions this year.  2 of his first 4 picks were defense.  

Agreed.  I don't think this was a bad way to operate, given what was out there, however, I wanted to see him be a little more agressive.  2 WRs in the draft would have been nice.  Signing someone like DeMarcus Robinson to go with Perriman and Mims would have been nice.  Instead we got what we got.

Just now, Mogglez said:

Agreed.  I don't think this was a bad way to operate, given what was out there, however, I wanted to see him be a little more agressive.  2 WRs in the draft would have been nice.  Signing someone like DeMarcus Robinson to go with Perriman and Mims would have been nice.  Instead we got what we got.

And remember the jets traded back and we were all worried we wouldn’t even get mims.  Not sure how the wr draft would have unfolded for the jets if mims had been taken before the jets picked in the 2nd finally, but douglas sure did not go after wrs.  Wr was definitely NOT a priority during the offseason.  OL and dbs were.

• Upvote 3

17 minutes ago, Jetlife33 said:

I’m imagining Cager gets called up, that is if his knee is okay. Moncrief is on the PS IR. Who else could we call up? Malone? 

Maybe they call up J.Scott? That would make sense to me considering how green Cager is and probably still nursing an injury. 

8 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

The problem for douglas is that after this season he’ll probably have to pay darnold a ton of money if they intend to keep him.  The more good players they added on offense this past offseason to help evaluate him, the better.  The worst thing they could do is have a repeat of last year, but douglas did do his best to revamp the OL.  I think we’ll know right away if an improved OL means a significantly bettter qb.

I don't think JD HAS to pay Darnold after this season. I mean, he could, but I'm not sure why he HAS to. But I agree that the foucs was on improving the O-line so that they could evaluate Sam. And that is way more important that getting a QB weapons, IMO. Especially if you want to see whether he can improve as a player. Thats JMHO. He signed a rock solid C, he signed veteran guards, drafted a stud LT with our first draft pick, added depth. As much as we may focus on the lack of weapons, JD set up Sam for success this year and he should be able to take advantage if Gase and the O-line don't fail him OR if he doesn't fall flat on his face himself.   

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, PepPep said:

I don't think JD HAS to pay Darnold after this season. I mean, he could, but I'm not sure why he HAS to. But I agree that the foucs was on improving the O-line so that they could evaluate Sam. And that is way more important that getting a QB weapons, IMO. Especially if you want to see whether he can improve as a player. Thats JMHO. He signed a rock solid C, he signed veteran guards, drafted a stud LT with our first draft pick, added depth. As much as we may focus on the lack of weapons, JD set up Sam for success this year and he should be able to take advantage if Gase and the O-line don't fail him OR if he doesn't fall flat on his face himself.   

If darnold is the player we all hope he is and the OL is improved, then douglas can focus next offseason on adding playmakers while also fortifying the OL.  If darnold doesn’t progress and the OL falters then we’ll be in a position to move up for a qb (again) and maybe burn resources that could be used on other positions.

12 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

This I would have fully supported.  Surely we could have "overpaid" a bit to get a cheap WR4 like Robinson (signed for $2.3M with KC later in the FA period) a nice, big role here for a year.

He drops a lot of passes but he's pretty electric when he does manage to hang on.

@Paradis

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

I cut it off after the first 3 rounds.  Day 3 isn’t really the same as 1 and 2.  

That thinking is a bit too simplistic.  Some positions are more likely to end up with starting-caliber players in later rounds than others.  Take Cameron Clark, for instance.  Sure, he was a late 4th rounder from a lower level FBS school.  But would you really be surprised if he ended up a starting Guard, and an effective one, in 2021, or even later on this season? 

Same thing with Perine.  We see midround RBs end up capable starters all the time.  Some right away.  It's a plug-n-play position.  

• Upvote 1

On WR management, as a general matter not only do they tend to get hurt alot, but many of them do not arrive in the NFL physically or mentally ready to contribute.   So a WR pipeline needs to be built over time, and FA WRs can be valuable.

JD should have done a better job stocking the position this year.  Mims having to redshirt is not a surprise, but clearly there was some type of gap in how the rookies generally came to camp ready to play.  It does seem like alot of the veterans came back in decent shape. 

29 minutes ago, nycdan said:

FWIW Mike Evans is a game-time decision with a hammy pull.  It's apparently not just the Jets.

Miles Sanders, Mike Evans, Kenny Golloday, Deebo Samuel, Mike Williams. And those are actually really good, established players that are a major part of their teams offense. We may be without a rookie WR that was probably going to get 1-2 targets week 1 anyway. 

This is definitely a set back for him and the offense, but some here are acting as if we just lost a major part of the offense. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

This I would have fully supported.  Surely we could have "overpaid" a bit to get a cheap WR4 like Robinson (signed for $2.3M with KC later in the FA period) a nice, big role here for a year.

He drops a lot of passes but he's pretty electric when he does manage to hang on.

@Paradis

yea, those were unfortunate last night - but he doesn't have a reputation for bad hands.

Fact is, a guy like him should have been a no brainer. You can't put that much reliance on a 2nd Rnd rookie and a career bust who had 5 hot weeks.

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Paradis said:

yea, those were unfortunate last night - but he doesn't have a reputation for bad hands.

I suppose not, I just remember 2-3 drops in fairly key spots by him last postseason.  They didn't end up mattering much, of course, so people forgot about them. 

I don't recall if he had any like that in the regular season.  

5 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I suppose not, I just remember 2-3 drops in fairly key spots by him last postseason.  They didn't end up mattering much, of course, so people forgot about them. 

I don't don't recall if he had any like that in the regular season.  

Yea, DR is not one of those "clutch" dudes with Michael Thomas mitts.... he's prone to have those mental lapses... His brand of football is more explosive route running and deep balls. Crabtree-like. 

I miss Crabtree... his NFL career was all over the place, but man... he was one of the most dominant playmakers i've ever watched at Texas Tech.... 

• Upvote 1

OBJ missed his rookie training camp and the first 4 regular season games with hamstring issues.  Not to say Mims is OBJ or that I want him to be like OBJ in demeanor ( I don't - can't stand him), but can we stop the panic over this situation?  Mims is not a make or break the season guy at this point.  The Jets are in the middle of a rebuild and are not making the playoffs this season.  I'm looking for growth or, if not, "gone Gase." I'm not stressing over Mims right now.

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

@Paradis

He dropped two TD passes last night. If any Jets player did that, this board would go ballistic.  Robinson is a JAG. With Hill, Kelce, Watkins, Edwards-Helaire, Hardeman running around, Robinson better be open.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

He dropped two TD passes last night. If any Jets player did that, this board would go ballistic.  Robinson is a JAG. With Hill, Kelce, Watkins, Edwards-Helaire, Hardeman running around, Robinson better be open.

JAGs are useful pieces for a roster like ours.  Like I said before, Robinson is a WR3/WR4.  I'm not trying to give him undue credit or anything.  It would have cost probably $3-4M over 1 year to bring him here.  That would have been a very worthwhile add along with Perriman to help bridge the gap to 2021.

2 minutes ago, ryu79 said:

We joke about it, but seriously. Go get Juju. This is nuts.

Just depends on price and whether we can negotiate an extension with him prior to the trade happening.  Under no circumstances do you give up a high pick for a rental.

We'd probably have to wait until the trade deadline, or close to it, to make a deal like that.

2 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

I cut it off after the first 3 rounds.  Day 3 isn’t really the same as 1 and 2.  

I mean day 2 isn’t the same as day 1 and early day 3 is very important. No matter what way you slice it more was invested in the offense. Though I do wish he drafted another receiver.

42 minutes ago, ryu79 said:

We joke about it, but seriously. Go get Juju. This is nuts.

There is no way in the world Pittsburgh is trading JJSS. He is their #1 receiver (even though he is a free agent at year end) and they are a playoff caliber team (much more so than the Jets).  The only way he gets traded is if they fall completely out of contention for a playoff spot.  I wish the JJSS talk would stop, because it's ridiculous.

7 hours ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

There is no way in the world Pittsburgh is trading JJSS. He is their #1 receiver (even though he is a free agent at year end) and they are a playoff caliber team (much more so than the Jets).  The only way he gets traded is if they fall completely out of contention for a playoff spot.  I wish the JJSS talk would stop, because it's ridiculous.

I suppose, but they haven't exactly shied away from trading their WR1 in the past.  They aren't going to be able to re-sign him, and also can't afford to franchise tag him. 

Thus, the proper move would be for them to trade him at/near the trade deadline and get something more for him than a 2022 comp pick, if they don't think they're in contention for a title this season (let's face it.....they're not getting past KC or Baltimore, so no, they're not).  He's not going to be a Steeler in 2021 regardless, so something will have to give.