I still shed a tear anytime I see a movie or pictures of the twin towers. It’s hard to believe we are a year away from the 20th anniversary. 

It was amazing how for a short time our country was united as one after 9/11. Not sure if that would have been possible today’s finger pointing climate. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

Man just like yesterday. 

Was stationed at Aviano AFB freshly out of technical training. Joined during true peace time earlier in the year never thinking I would actually end up going to war.

Remember watching for hours and hours in the rec room with about 40 guys, nobody said a word for a couple hours except for the random "f*cking b*astards" every few minutes. 

You've never seen a room full of guys more enraged and jacked up on adrenaline to go punch a bad guy in the face. 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

21 minutes ago, freestater said:

19 years. Doesn't even seem real. It feels like yesterday. 

It really does. I can still remember where I was the night before the 9/11 attacks. I was with 5 friends watching the MNF game at a sports bar between the Broncos and Giants...the one Ed McCaffrey broke his leg.

I was just heading into the Battery Tunnel toward Manhattan when I noticed the smoke coming from the first tower and what looked like glitter in the air. Was stuck in the tunnel for almost an hour and heard on 1010 about the second plane wondering what we were going to come out to on the other side of that tunnel. Leaned out the window and saw the huge black hole in the tower closest to us and fire. Like a movie. Just missed being caught in the first collapse by maybe three minutes. 

We went on the FDR, it was empty, stopped, got out and looked at the towers from about 65th street or so, got back in the SUV, heard almost immediately that the tower had collapsed, got out again and just...a cloud. A giant cloud. 

My brother was terrified that I was in that cloud. He didn't tell my mother where I was. 

I thank God I never saw anyone jumping. I don't think I'd ever be able to get over that.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

I was sitting in my third grade classroom on the fourth floor of PS 180 in Borough Park, Brooklyn. In the second grade, I used to daydream and stare out the window and look at the towers. The classroom I was in on 9/11 was on the opposite end of the building so I had no view.

The principal made an announcement on the loudspeaker that teachers were to close all windows because of debris in the air; nothing else was said. One by one, my classmates were picked up by their parents. Finally, my mom came to get me with my older brother and his friend in the car. They were students at Telecommuncations High School in Bay Ridge.

They explained to eight year old me that two planes flew into the towers and they fell. I didn’t fully understand what was going on but there was an immediate palpable feeling that everything was different.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, PS17 said:

I was sitting in my third grade classroom on the fourth floor of PS 180 in Borough Park, Brooklyn. In the second grade, I used to daydream and stare out the window and look at the towers. The classroom I was in on 9/11 was on the opposite end of the building so I had no view.

The principal made an announcement on the loudspeaker that teachers were to close all windows because of debris in the air; nothing else was said. One by one, my classmates were picked up by their parents. Finally, my mom came to get me with my older brother and his friend in the car. They were students at Telecommuncations High School in Bay Ridge.

They explained to eight year old me that two planes flew into the towers and they fell. I didn’t fully understand what was going on but there was immediate palpable feeling that everything was different.

Funny, but about a mile or so away, at New Utrecht H.S. the week before, a young man was staring out the window and his teacher asked him what he was looking at and he said, "You see those two buildings? Next week they won't be there." 

This is true. His family was interviewed by the FBI etc, the whole nine. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, Gastineau Lives said:

Funny, but about a mile or so away, at New Utrecht H.S. the week before, a young man was staring out the window and his teacher asked him what he was looking at and he said, "You see those two buildings? Next week they won't be there." 

Interesting, I've never heard that before. That sounds like The Mothman Prophecies...only explanation other than he was somehow connected to Al Qaeda.

9 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

Interesting, I've never heard that before. That sounds like The Mothman Prophecies...only explanation other than he was somehow connected to Al Qaeda.

4 minutes ago, Gastineau Lives said:

From that link: 

"There are only three possibilities. One, the youth was clairvoyant. Two, the youth, knowing about the 1993 bombing, was just venting anger in a particularly timely way. Three, word of the attack on the World Trade Center was rumored in his neighborhood and he heard about it"

Hogwash. Occam's razor pure and simple. 

He made the sh*t up, said something, and it happened to be true or he overheard it being talked about. 

Only two logical and simple explanations. 

20200911_111355.jpg

RIP all those souls who lost there life.   

I  was studying with two other IBMers who were veterans like me, and someone came in and said a plane hit the towers.  We laughed because we figured some numb nuts hit it with a small plane... then the same women came in a few minutes later pale faced and said the second tower was hit... we all new then what happened.  We were in Paramus NJ and went to the buildings roof and saw the smoke....

More chilling was my wife was supposed to fly to Washington (her company was across the street from the Pentagon) but she had missed a number of Dr visits and I made he stay... by the grace of God. 

Never forget.... enjoy your freedom

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Gastineau Lives said:

How about CIA agent Robert Baer saying "I know the guy that went into his broker in San Diego and said ‘cash me out, it’s going down tomorrow.’"

To all the brave men and woman who risked their lives to help others... RIP to those no longer with us, and THANK YOU to those that are. I remember the news from our company and a few of us drove over to a restaurant parking lot that had a clear view of the city from the NJ side. The pit in my stomach was nothing I've ever experienced when the last tower fell...

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Gastineau Lives said:

It's a little dated, but here is an article that expands on this story:

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/3067562/t/chilling-tale/#.X1ugVpNKhQM

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

Don't you dare say it was a waste. Just..how dare you?! Plenty of people made a lot of money off us going over there and fighting wars. It really helped some millionaires and billionaires become much more wealthy and becoming wealthy at the cost of everything around you burning and if that isn't American, than what the hell is?!

It’s not the right day for this.

I was living abroad. My wife was in the air returning to America that day and was diverted to Canada. I have a very big spot in my heart for the Canadians who housed, fed, and took care of my wife for three days. Humanity at its worst the day the towers fell, humanity at its best in Canada that day and the days that followed. To all who have suffered due to this event my heart goes out to you.  I also sometimes seem to equate this horrific event to a thought for all our kids who are stationed around the world protecting us. I will not forget them and thank you all. 

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1