I was working for United Van Lines at the time and we were headed back to Maine from Florida on a 2 week over the road trip.

We went through NY at midnight on the 10th on our way to our last stop in Boston. We watched the news feed in the shippers kitchen from the first impact. We got the house packed, but it was a long quiet day while doing so. 

R.I.P. to those that lost their lives and respect to those that served in any capacity then.

• Upvote 1

worked at 1 wfc across from south tower. ran late that day.
just bought an old convert and decided to drive in this day with the top down.
stopped at red light , liberty and west st. before into the wfc garage.
took a few moments to just gaze up at the towers, which i and all locals almost never did.
weird i was among the very last people on the planet to do that.
10 mins later up at the office, looked down at same spot with a car aflame
and owner and cop just staring at it in disbelief.
this among many horrible and unforgettable scenes of the day.
please never forget our friends colleagues and the real heroes that were lost. 

• Upvote 3

We had just checked into a hotel in Paris. The front desk called and said (in that French accent) that "There has been a disaster in NY and we should turn on the TV". So we did and got the French CNN feed, What we saw was the first tower burning and I thought that the people who set off the bomb in 1993 somehow managed to do it on a high floor. Then we saw the second plane come in and realized what was going on.  Very surreal. 

For the next couple of days, we wandered around town and everyone was nice to us and expressed condolences. Quite a concession from the French. Several days later, we were flying to Venice and on line in the airport. They announced a moment of silence and these Arab fellows took that as an opportunity to applaud and laugh.    

It's been 19 years. We all expected that to just be the opening salvo. Here's a heartfelt thanks that it was not the case. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Gastineau Lives said:

Funny, but about a mile or so away, at New Utrecht H.S. the week before, a young man was staring out the window and his teacher asked him what he was looking at and he said, "You see those two buildings? Next week they won't be there." 

This is true. His family was interviewed by the FBI etc, the whole nine. 

I’ve always heard that story. Thought it was an urban legend

54 minutes ago, The Crimson King said:

We had just checked into a hotel in Paris. The front desk called and said (in that French accent) that "There has been a disaster in NY and we should turn on the TV". So we did and got the French CNN feed, What we saw was the first tower burning and I thought that the people who set off the bomb in 1993 somehow managed to do it on a high floor. Then we saw the second plane come in and realized what was going on.  Very surreal. 

For the next couple of days, we wandered around town and everyone was nice to us and expressed condolences. Quite a concession from the French. Several days later, we were flying to Venice and on line in the airport. They announced a moment of silence and these Arab fellows took that as an opportunity to applaud and laugh.    

It's been 19 years. We all expected that to just be the opening salvo. Here's a heartfelt thanks that it was not the case. 

Did anyone say or do anything to the Arabs who laughed in the airport? I hope somebody beat the sh*t out of them. 

On 9/11/2020 at 9:28 AM, JustEndTheSuffering said:

My blood still boils every time I see images of the towers falling. Never forget.

So many federal & state institution failures in the lead up to this tragic day. So many lives needlessly lost if just 1 or 2 red flags and alerts were followed up properly. 

And to top it off, no heads rolled.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Exactly! Disgusting that the American Public were let down by the agencys sworn to protect us. So many red flags all around, very early including flight schools ect., and we still have people here that want open borders. Never forget my ass, many, many people have already forgotten & moved on. We have people who hate their own country being elected to office. I fear for my grandchildren & great grandchildrens futures here every day. 

We'll let our guard down again & everyone deep down knows it.

https://forums.jetnation.com/clubs/

You definitely belong in the JetNation Club thread. I’d be a fan. 
a legendary christmas preach GIF by NBC

20 hours ago, jago said:

worked at 1 wfc across from south tower. ran late that day.
just bought an old convert and decided to drive in this day with the top down.
stopped at red light , liberty and west st. before into the wfc garage.
took a few moments to just gaze up at the towers, which i and all locals almost never did.
weird i was among the very last people on the planet to do that.
10 mins later up at the office, looked down at same spot with a car aflame
and owner and cop just staring at it in disbelief.
this among many horrible and unforgettable scenes of the day.
please never forget our friends colleagues and the real heroes that were lost. 

Wife scheduled for Jury duty that day in courthouse across street from from WTC. She went down on 9/10 with our 1 year old twins to get excused from attending. 

My best friends now wife who worked for Cantor Fitzgerald on 103rd floor. Had a dress fitting scheduled for pending marriage in 2 weeks. Never went into office that day. They lost 40 wedding guests that day. That same friend lost his brother-in-law that same day. Mixed blessing. Wife saved, brother-in-law lost. 

• Sympathy 2

Wife scheduled for Jury duty that day in courthouse across street from from WTC. She went down on 9/10 with our 1 year old twins to get excused from attending. 

My best friends now wife who worked for Cantor Fitzgerald on 103rd floor. Had a dress fitting scheduled for pending marriage in 2 weeks. Never went into office that day. They lost 40 wedding guests that day. That same friend lost his brother-in-law that same day. Mixed blessing. Wife saved, brother-in-law lost. 

so many stories. hope that gal is ok. and your friend too.
i knew a number of cantor people. one friend was out that day. he was badly affected. peace.

1 hour ago, 32EBoozer said:

Jetswin who posts here was in one of the Towers as well..

What's shocking for me, is how this event would desensitize an entire generation.

Nowadays, a 9/11 like event - either in America or in some other part of the world - wouldn't be seen as a big deal. It's almost as if the world has accepted that the world is 'at war' and bad things happen all the time, people get killed all the time, etc. There is a tacit acceptance. 

A pre-9/11 society, at least in America, was far more innocent and naive. I don't think anyone could have conceived of such an event. 

On that note:

But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own. She will commend the general cause by the countenance of her voice, and the benignant sympathy of her example. She well knows that by once enlisting under other banners than her own, were they even the banners of foreign independence, she would involve herself beyond the power of extrication, in all the wars of interest and intrigue, of individual avarice, envy, and ambition, which assume the colors and usurp the standard of freedom. The fundamental maxims of her policy would insensibly change from liberty to force.... She might become the dictatress of the world. She would be no longer the ruler of her own spirit.... 

John Quincy Adams, 1821

42 minutes ago, DetroitRed said:

Some great posts this thread.  If you understand how patriotic the average NFL fan is, then you are not confused about the reaction you witnessed on Thursday night

A bunch of midwesterners booing a group of mostly black men for showing unity rather than shutting up and entertaining them is about American as it gets.  You're spot on there.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

A bunch of midwesterners booing a group of mostly black men for showing unity rather than shutting up and entertaining them is about American as it gets.  You're spot on there.

According to a Fan that was there he said they are just tired of politics ruining sports..

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, predator_05 said:

It's almost as if the world has accepted that the world is 'at war' and bad things happen all the time, people get killed all the time, etc. There is a tacit acceptance.

Probably because that's true.  And has been since the start of human history.  

If only we Americans could think of what WE do in other countries in the same way we think of what they did once here, maybe things might change, and might start to get a little better in this world.

6 hours ago, Jetster said:

Exactly! Disgusting that the American Public were let down by the agencys sworn to protect us. So many red flags all around, very early including flight schools ect., and we still have people here that want open borders. Never forget my ass, many, many people have already forgotten & moved on. We have people who hate their own country being elected to office. I fear for my grandchildren & great grandchildrens futures here every day. 

Spot on! So true! Excellent!

One thinks of the families forever bereaved by the events of that day. The empty chair at the dinner table. Absent mothers, fathers, sons, daughters, siblings. For me that's what's always so tragic, the families who live it every day for the rest of their lives. The main thing that helped me with loss (not 9/11 related), and it was just one time when my Mom passed - I know she'd want me to be happy, not to suffer beyond what's necessary. But still for families that lost fathers and mothers with young children, it's just something you can't comprehend.

9 hours ago, Jetster said:

You’re right. There’s actually a politician who said “some people did something”. That’s a ******* disgrace and it makes me sick to my stomach knowing that someone like that is in a position of power. 

• Sympathy 2