It's Official

I mean, I say lets wait till at least we get 6 games into the season. Watson will bounce back. Jackson could have a BIG season, as could Murray, as could Mayfield, as could Jimmy G, as could K.Murray...and what if Burrow ends up putting up great numbers? Even Allen just needs to cut down on turnovers to show he is a legit Franchise QB with limitless potential. 

Until he PROVES it I'm not quite sure about taking Darnold over Watson and Jackson. But I do agree that this is a pivotal season and he will rise to the occasion, putting up career numbers.

1 hour ago, bealeb319 said:

Lamar jackson made it to 2 playoffs? Darnold is 0-0 in them I would take take 0-2 over that any day. Not saying I'd take jackson over darnold because I believe Jackson is entertaining but not a viable long term qb in the nfl

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using JetNation.com mobile app

I’d take 5 entertaining years with Lamar instead of 15 average years with any other QB. 

• Upvote 2

43 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Bart Scott had a really interesting comment the other day. He said that “people in the league” still feel like Darnold was (and is) far and away the most talented QB in his draft class, even with Lamar on the board, but they question whether he’ll ever be able to put it together with the Jets, and that having a coaching and front office change happening around him really set him back. You can see that, from a tools and personality standpoint, Darnold *should* be a lot better, but you wonder if and when the Jets ever get it together long enough to see it pay off. Simien and Falk were, without question, horrible, but even the year prior when Darnold had the ankle, the Jets have zero chance to win when Darnold isn’t in the lineup, but he elevates what is a dreadful team all by himself when he does play. He might be better than we think. 

So incredibly Jetsy that when we finally land our franchise QB after a 50 year wait, he’s engulfed in a dysfunctional regime change and a bottom of the barrel team around him. 

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

You can see that, from a tools and personality standpoint, Darnold *should* be a lot better, but 

devils advocate Darnold's tools aren't that great

he's not especially tall by NFL standards, or fast. His arm strength is not especially rare. His hands aren't huge. James Morgan has better tools than Sam Darnold, across the board. 

Darnold's scouting report was supposed to be about his ability when the pocket breaks down, his instincts etc. His fundemental throwing motion is fine the problem is he does it off his back foot too often, and into double or triple coverage too often.

this was the issue when he worked with Jordan Palmer as a 20 year old, these are the issues today.

His tools don't hold him back (he's NFL caliber) he's just not world class tools guy.

Put it another way, Quinnen runs a faster 40 yard dash than Darnold. He has 75 more pounds on him. They both went 3 overall. 

• Thumb Down 3

24 minutes ago, DonMaynardFan said:

I'm still holding out hope for Sam but i'm not holding my breath.

I just don't think he has it.

I don't think he'll ever be BAD, but I think he'll end up one of those average-good QB's who makes the playoffs now or then but never goes much further.

Like somewhere in-between Philip Rivers and Andy Dalton. Frustrating.

You’re frustrated with a 23 year old FQB with less than 2 years on the field?  And no talent around him?

2 minutes ago, PS17 said:

So incredibly Jetsy that when we finally land our franchise QB after a 50 year wait, he’s engulfed in a dysfunctional regime change and a bottom of the barrel team around him. 

Despicable malfeasance for Maccagnan to draft Darnold, then spend every subsequent draft pick on DTs and safeties. Mind-boggling incompetence cutting off one’s own head. 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

28 minutes ago, DonMaynardFan said:

I don't think he'll ever be BAD, but I think he'll end up one of those average-good QB's who makes the playoffs now or then but never goes much further.

Just in gase you missed it, Sam hasn't had anything but bowles of crap to learn from.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Dcat said:

I guess the point of this thread is to proclaim that Mahomes is way better than Darnold at this point.

Thankful for that revelation.  I would have never figured it out on my own.

What would we ever do without the collective brain power of JN?

Re-reading the original post, I probably should've made it more clear that it wasn't to annoint Mahomes (who has already had that done long time ago), but more to state the rest of the challengers don't measure up.

9 minutes ago, bitonti said:

devils advocate Darnold's tools aren't that great

he's not especially tall by NFL standards, or fast. His arm strength is not especially rare. His hands aren't huge. James Morgan has better tools than Sam Darnold, across the board. 

Darnold's scouting report was supposed to be about his ability when the pocket breaks down, his instincts etc. His fundemental throwing motion is fine the problem is he does it off his back foot too often, and into double or triple coverage too often.

this was the issue when he worked with Jordan Palmer as a 20 year old, these are the issues today.

His tools don't hold him back (he's NFL caliber) he's just not world class tools guy.

Put it another way, Quinnen runs a faster 40 yard dash than Darnold. He has 75 more pounds on him. They both went 3 overall. 

Only if a buffet is at the finish line.

34 minutes ago, DonMaynardFan said:

I think he has it. I think the Jets are an awful franchise that will ruin their chance and then in two years he will be gone.

12 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I think that was the point. His struggles don’t have anything to do with physical limitations.

They do tho. he's "Fine" but doesn't have the Josh Allen, Mahomes or Watson level physical tools to bail himself out

7 minutes ago, Fantasy Island said:

Only if a buffet is at the finish line.

QW ran an OFFICIAL 4.83 at 303 at Indy Combine

https://www.nfl.com/videos/alabama-defensive-lineman-quinnen-williams-runs-an-official-4-83-40-yard--422694

Sam Darnold ran a pro Day 4.85 at 220 

https://www.conquestchronicles.com/2018/4/23/17269468/2018-nfl-draft-scouting-reports-sam-darnold-qb-usc