Which Practice Squad Members will be Active vs Buffalo?

Sarge4Tide

Practice Squad "Call Ups" vs Buffalo?  

46 members have voted

1. 1. Who will the Jets call up from the Practice Squad vs Buffalo? (Please select up to 2 options)

• David Fales 6'2" 213 San Jose State (QB)
    • Mike White 6'5" 218 Western Kentucky (QB)
    • Josh Adams 6'2" 213 Notre Dame (RB)
    • DJ Montgomery 6'1" 201 Austin Peay (WR)
    • Jaleel Scott 6'5" 210 New Mexico State (WR)
    • Lawrence Cager 6'5" 215 UGA (WR)
    • Josh Malone 6'3" 208 Tennessee (WR)
    • Ross Travis 6'6" 248 Penn State (TE)
    • Bronson Kaufusi 6'6" 275 BYU (TE/DE/OLB?)
    • James Murray 6'5" 304 Holy Cross (OL)
    • Corbin Kaufusi 6'9" 276 BYU (OL)
    • Alec Ogeltree 6'3" 250 Georgia (LB)
    • Lamar Jackson 6'2" 208 Nebraska (CB)
    • Zane Lewis 6'1" 190 Air Force (CB)
    • Javelin Guidry 5'9" 191 Utah (CB)
    • Bennett Jackson 6'0" 192 Notre Dame (S)
    • Jets will only add 1 player to the active roster
    • Jets will not add any players to the active roster

As you may recall a team can "call up" 1 or 2 players from the Practice Squad onto the Active Roster each game this season.  The "called up" players can then be relegated back to the Practice Squad without having to go through waivers.  (The only catch is that you can only do that 2x per player - after the 3rd time, the player has to go through waivers)

Who will the Jets call up from the Practice Squad vs Buffalo?

A lot of this will depend on how ready we think James Morgan is to be the QB2 this week, as I obviously don't think we can count on Joe Flacco.  I would think one of the QB's gets called up (probably Fales?) given the uncertainty there.  

The other spot has to either be a WR or RB given the injuries for Mims and Perine.  I'm less optimistic about Perine being available than Mims this week, so I went with Josh Adams.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, mrcoops said:

Fales as backup QB, and Ogletree for needed ILB depth.

They just signed Ogletree this week, and ILB depth isn't THAT important, is it?  We've got 4 ILB's on the active roster and are pretty clearly trying to employ more 4-3 looks anyways.

Meanwhile, if Mims can't go, we're down to 4 WRs.

31 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

A lot of this will depend on how ready we think James Morgan is to be the QB2 this week, as I obviously don't think we can count on Joe Flacco.  I would think one of the QB's gets called up (probably Fales?) given the uncertainty there.  

The other spot has to either be a WR or RB given the injuries for Mims and Perine.  I'm less optimistic about Perine being available than Mims this week, so I went with Josh Adams.

I suppose we don't need to call up a safety if Maye cannot play since one of the CBs hopefully has played safety and can be a backup behind McDougle(sp?), Davis, and Farley.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

They just signed Ogletree this week, and ILB depth isn't THAT important, is it?  We've got 4 ILB's on the active roster and are pretty clearly trying to employ more 4-3 looks anyways.

Meanwhile, if Mims and Perine can't go, we're down to 4 WRs and 2 RBs.

So we need a backup QB, maybe WR Cager, and then for the other roster spot probably RB Adams since we cannot go into this game with only 2 RBs.

41 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Meanwhile, if Mims can't go, we're down to 4 WRs.

Williamson is hurt though, so that just leaves Hewitt, Cashman and Langi.

Ogletree had a history with Gregg Williams, so will probably get up to speed with the scheme fairly quickly.

You're right though - if Mims can't go, we will need a WR.

One spot for a QB, one likely for an RB and injuries at both WR and ILB to contend with too.

Lots of gaps to plug so early in the season.

29 minutes ago, PepPep said:

I kind of have a feeling Scott might be called up if Mims can't go 

Can't see it.  We can only call these guys up 2x.  Why call up a guy who just arrived and is a very, very low likelihood to contribute right away, unless its just a "throwaway" to protect one of the other PS squad guys?

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I'd prefer White as QB...but I left that alone and went w/ cager and the RB you picked

• Upvote 2

If the Jets are going to beat the Bills, they will need depth at key positions and Darnold to pay the entire game, and play well.

So, I would rather see them add a WR, RB or Ogletree and roll with Darnold and Morgan.  If Darnold gets hurt, let Morgan hand off to Gore and try again next week.  

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Can't see it.  We can only call these guys up 2x.  Why call up a guy who just arrived and is a very, very low likelihood to contribute right away, unless its just a "throwaway" to protect one of the other PS squad guys?

Right, I figure it would be the kind of thing where they went out to sign someone off the scrap to call him up just in case and not waste that on a young player they really like on PS, like Cager, who may not be quite ready anyway. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I think we get unlimited call ups for a couple players this year. PS rules are way different

8 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

I think we get unlimited call ups for a couple players this year. PS rules are way different

I don't believe that is true. Practice Squads this year can have a certain number of players with unlimited accrued NFL seasons, but each can only be called up 2x. The 3rd time they have to be exposed to waivers before going back to the PS 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, johnnysd said:

You can call up 2 for every game, but each individual player on the PS can only be called up twice during the season.  If you call a player up a 3rd time, you risk losing him to another team.

So if you have 16 PS guys, keep that 16 intact all season, and use those 2 call-ups every game, each player would end up getting called up 2x, so the pair you call up would have to shift on a week to week basis.  

17 hours ago, Sarge4Tide said:

I don't believe that is true. Practice Squads this year can have a certain number of players with unlimited accrued NFL seasons, but each can only be called up 2x. The 3rd time they have to be exposed to waivers before going back to the PS 

You are correct, sir