Gase Doesn’t Rule out IR for Denzel Mims

JetNation

6 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Remember that time back in 2019 when the Jets had 47 dudes on IR so Adam Gase said they were going to do a "deep dive" on the injury situation and it led them to fire the long time trainer and throw him under the bus.  Clearly that dude was the problem.

Well yeah, the Jets have been a bottom tier team in terms of injuries going as far back as 2013. In fact they have been one of the most injured teams when looking back at the last 5 years, so yeah, I'd say that he was a problem:

E11DC83F-CDE5-47D9-9773-287DF1AA8385.thumb.png.78cd0c40d4dd75bcff2939960f51d4a4.png

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Saul Goodman said:

This is a Joe Douglas problem, not Gase. Drafted an injured WR, let Robby walk, and didn’t draft any additional receivers following Mims. 

Teflon Joe...

Mims was not an injured WR in college.  Soft tissue injuries are up around the league because players haven't been given a chance to condition like they're used to.  It sucks, but unfortunately, it's going to happen.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Saul Goodman said:

This is a Joe Douglas problem, not Gase. Drafted an injured WR, let Robby walk, and didn’t draft any additional receivers following Mims. 

Teflon Joe...

No, this ultimately an ownership problem.  Blaming Joe Douglas for the mess Mike Maccagnan made is just silly.  

lol at the complaint of him drafting an "injured" WR.  Mims didn't miss a game in his 3 years as a starter at Baylor.  

Pathetic, misdirected whining is so productive!

• Upvote 4

16 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

It doesn't do anything for you to you know that Belichick, in need of a QB, wanted him as a developmental candidate/potential future starter?

QB is the most valuable asset on the field.  I will never begrudge a GM taking meaningful shots at midround QB's, whether the team "needs" one or not.  A 4th round WR wasn't going to save the 2020 season.  Certainly I would have liked to end up with a 2nd WR out of this draft, but people ripping on the Morgan pick in particular is just strange.

Furthermore, pretty much all camp reports were positive when it came to Morgan this summer.  

Even if he is a backup and nothing more, that carries value too.  It's funny how many of the same people whining about the Jets lack of a QB2 last season somehow forgot all about that a year later.

No it doesn't bother me at all. .  If Sam is our Franchise quarterback we needed to BUILD AROUND HIM, NOT DRAFT HIS COMPETITION.    Obviously JD is not sold on Sam.  That is the only conclusion you can come to.    So Morgan has value, and we wind up trading him a year or two from now for draft picks.    For the record I am not "some people whining about lack of QB2 last season".   There are plenty of decent back ups we could have signed and even Falk looked decent in camp.  The bottom line is if the back up QB is playing we have serious problems.    When your team was as devoid of talent at the skill positions and you have an abundance of talented skill position players staring you in the face, you don't get cute and draft a back up quarterback, sorry.   You do that when your team is already loaded. 

And even if they took Morgan, they still should have taken another receiver in this draft.  There were still solid ones left up until the 6th round.    

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Mims was not an injured WR in college.  Soft tissue injuries are up around the league because players haven't been given a chance to condition like they're used to.  It sucks, but unfortunately, it's going to happen.

DOUGLAS SHOULD HAVE KNOWN ABOUT ALL TEH FUTURE INJURIES

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

No it didn't bother me at all. .  If Sam is our Franchise quarterback we needed to BUILD AROUND HIM, NOT DRAFT HIS COMPETITION.    

Joe Douglas didn't draft Sam Darnold.  Its not his responsibility or prerogative to be 100 % committed to Darnold.  Hedging his bets is never a bad decision when you aren't sure you have "the guy".  

And even if he IS sure about Darnold, if Morgan exceeds expectations, he can later be flipped for significantly higher pick(s) than we used on him.  There's no rule that says a team can't have 2 good, young QB's on a roster at the same time.  Teams with young starters still draft midround QB's all the time.

3 minutes ago, KRL said:

Let's be real, Mims in my book has "soft" attached to him until he gets and stays on the field

If you've ever tried to jog, let alone RUN, with a pulled hamstring, you'd understand how ridiculous it is to call a player soft for not being able to do it.  It's incredibly painful and frustrating.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Joe Douglas didn't draft Sam Darnold.  Its not his responsibility or prerogative to be 100 % committed to Darnold.  Hedging his bets is never a bad decision when you aren't sure you have "the guy".  

And even if he IS sure about Darnold, if Morgan exceeds expectations, he can later be flipped for significantly higher pick(s) than we used on him.  There's no rule that says a team can't have 2 good, young QB's on a roster at the same time.

Just like there is no rule you can't draft more than one wide receiver in a deep wide receiver class to help your young quarterback.  Lets just agree to disagree on this.  I don't have an issue with Morgan per se, it is just the lack of interest in giving Darnold, whether he drafted him or not, more weapons so he could be more effective THIS SEASON not worry about flipping a player who may or may not turn out to worth anything in two years. 

1 minute ago, mrcoops said:

IF WE HAD AN EXTRA ROOKIE WR, DRAFTED IN THE 4TH ROUND, ALL OUR OFFENSIVE PROBLEMS WOULD BE SOLVED!!!

I know  you were being sarcastic post but just so you have something real to consider. 

Eagles May Have Found Gem in Quez Watkins 

The Eagles took three wide receivers in the 2020 draft and two of them have gotten the majority of attention during the off-season. Jalen Reagor has gotten his well-deserved attention and John Hightower’s potential on kick returns and his Boise State film have fans buzzing about the next “Stefon Diggs” from the fifth round. However, the Eagles may have found a gem in sixth-round pick Quez Watkins.

Speed translates

One thing about running a 4.35 40 yard dash is that it immediately translates to the NFL.

A video from training camp surfaced recently of his one-on-one rep with fourth-year cornerback Rasul Douglas:

A one-on-one drill isn’t usually the “end all be all” for roster moves, but the way Watkins blew past Douglas and was able to track the ball in the air with ease is something that Eagles fans have been waiting to see for a long time.

Watkins will have to prove he can do the same against press coverage if he wants a shot at the active roster, but he has definitely started off the right foot.

College production

Only six wide receivers in college football in 2019 averaged more yards per game than Watkins’ 104.1.

His 18.17 YPC ranked eighth among WRs with 60 or more receptions.

Although he finished with the 21st most receiving yards, he had 1,145 in eleven games. 19 of the 20 receivers in front of him played in 1-4 more games. Four more games at his YPG average puts him at 1,561 yards for the season, which would’ve been third-most in the country.

He also had the ninth-most receiving yards in the second half of games, averaging 20.10 YPC. That average was third among WRs with 25+ receptions in the second half.

In seven wins, Quez Watkins averaged 132.5 yards per game, in six losses he averaged 70. 

I know, I know, it’s just a projection on what he could’ve done in more games. But the production shows what he’s capable of and his speed gives us a glimpse into what Sundays could look like for the Eagles.

The loss of Marquise Goodwin could open up an immediate opening for Watkins if the Eagles keep six WR on the active roster, as the depth chart looks like DeSean Jackson, Jalen Reagor, J.J. Arcega-Whiteside, John Hightower, and Greg Ward. But the inevitable return of Alshon Jeffery puts pressure on Watkins to perform early and often in all facets of the game.

Don’t sleep on this sixth rounder.

4 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

I know  you were being sarcastic post but just so you have something real to consider. 

Eagles May Have Found Gem in Quez Watkins 

The Eagles took three wide receivers in the 2020 draft and two of them have gotten the majority of attention during the off-season. Jalen Reagor has gotten his well-deserved attention and John Hightower’s potential on kick returns and his Boise State film have fans buzzing about the next “Stefon Diggs” from the fifth round. However, the Eagles may have found a gem in sixth-round pick Quez Watkins.

Speed translates

One thing about running a 4.35 40 yard dash is that it immediately translates to the NFL.

A video from training camp surfaced recently of his one-on-one rep with fourth-year cornerback Rasul Douglas:

A one-on-one drill isn’t usually the “end all be all” for roster moves, but the way Watkins blew past Douglas and was able to track the ball in the air with ease is something that Eagles fans have been waiting to see for a long time.

Watkins will have to prove he can do the same against press coverage if he wants a shot at the active roster, but he has definitely started off the right foot.

College production

Only six wide receivers in college football in 2019 averaged more yards per game than Watkins’ 104.1.

His 18.17 YPC ranked eighth among WRs with 60 or more receptions.

Although he finished with the 21st most receiving yards, he had 1,145 in eleven games. 19 of the 20 receivers in front of him played in 1-4 more games. Four more games at his YPG average puts him at 1,561 yards for the season, which would’ve been third-most in the country.

He also had the ninth-most receiving yards in the second half of games, averaging 20.10 YPC. That average was third among WRs with 25+ receptions in the second half.

In seven wins, Quez Watkins averaged 132.5 yards per game, in six losses he averaged 70. 

I know, I know, it’s just a projection on what he could’ve done in more games. But the production shows what he’s capable of and his speed gives us a glimpse into what Sundays could look like for the Eagles.

The loss of Marquise Goodwin could open up an immediate opening for Watkins if the Eagles keep six WR on the active roster, as the depth chart looks like DeSean Jackson, Jalen Reagor, J.J. Arcega-Whiteside, John Hightower, and Greg Ward. But the inevitable return of Alshon Jeffery puts pressure on Watkins to perform early and often in all facets of the game.

Don’t sleep on this sixth rounder.

I wanted another WR in the draft, but we have to be realistic.

Would having a Darnell Mooney or Quez Watkins right now - two guys I was calling on us to draft - make us feel greatly confident about our WR position, given all the injury woes we have suffered at the position?

Hard for any team to plan for the level of injuries we have suffered at the position in camp.

In any case, we have Josh Malone on the PS who can be elevated. He is also a former 4th rounder, but comes with the benefit of a year in the system. Next man up.

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

If you've ever tried to jog, let alone RUN, with a pulled hamstring, you'd understand how ridiculous it is to call a player soft for not being able to do it.  It's incredibly painful and frustrating.

True, plus it sometimes changes the way you run, you compensate for the injury and then the other hammy goes because of the added stress.  

• Upvote 3

CHILL

Mims was not going to contribute in this game anyway.  Short passes, ball control, ground & pound on a wet and windy day in Buffalo.  Two-step drops, short passes, hurry-up offense, keeps the D off our OL, keeps the Bills winded.  Mims was going to spend his day blocking.

Crowder
Hogan
Herndon
Griffin

That's all we need to win this game.

SAR I

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, SAR I said:

CHILL

Mims was not going to contribute in this game anyway.  Short passes, ball control, ground & pound on a wet and windy day in Buffalo.  Two-step drops, short passes, hurry-up offense, keeps the D off our OL, keeps the Bills winded.  Mims was going to spend his day blocking.

Crowder
Hogan
Herndon
Griffin

That's all we need to win this game.

SAR I

And Bell.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

No, this ultimately an ownership problem.  Blaming Joe Douglas for the mess Mike Maccagnan made is just silly.  

lol at the complaint of him drafting an "injured" WR.  Mims didn't miss a game in his 3 years as a starter at Baylor.  

Pathetic, misdirected whining is so productive!

Meh, my brother you do way more than your fair share of complaining (and so do I and everyone else here -- except Pac, who's perfect). Repeatedly classifying it as "whining" only when other people are being critical it isn't a very compelling argument. It's also a sign you're resorting to insults because @Beerfish has at least a partly valid point so you're deflecting as a defense mechanism. For more in depth analysis you'll have to consult @TeddEY

We were paper-thin at WR in a deep WR draft, and we took just 1 at that position among his 9 picks. Worse still, IIRC you were not only advocating drafting 2 WRs this year, you were advocating it so we should start 2 of them, which is quite wishful thinking.

A day-2 pick is way too high for cock-blocking someone else when one's own team has so many starter needs. Playoff teams have the luxury of doing that; not teams who are just emerging from a half-decade of Maccagnan (which itself followed 2 years of Idzik) and need help everywhere. 

Who cares if BB wanted him? He isn't a savant at drafting, and whiffs way more than he hits. He also drafted Kevin O'Connell in round 3. And he just drafted Stidham; with your logic we should have blocked that filthy creep from drafting him, too.

The only way that's a good pick is if he starts wiping the floor with Darnold and becomes our FQB, or at least is so promising-looking that we're not going to draft a QB the following year if Darnold falls flat on his face in '20 or '21. Otherwise it was dumb. 

If Douglas drafted Morgan because he thinks he'll be a valuable player for us, even if he ends up being meh, fine. If it was a pure cock-block move - and particularly if he turns into meh - then not fine. 

Fight me!!

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1