Gase Doesn’t Rule out IR for Denzel Mims

JetNation

12 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Meh, my brother you do way more than your fair share of complaining (and so do I and everyone else here -- except Pac, who's perfect). Repeatedly classifying it as "whining" only when other people are being critical it isn't a very compelling argument. It's also a sign you're resorting to insults because he has at least a partly valid point so you're deflecting as a defense mechanism. For more in depth analysis you'll have to consult @TeddEY

We were paper-thin at WR in a deep WR draft, and we took just 1 at that position among his 9 picks. Worse still, IIRC you were not only advocating drafting 2 WRs this year, you were advocating it so we should start 2 of them, which is quite wishful thinking.

A day-2 pick is way too high for cock-blocking someone else when one's own team has so many starter needs. Playoff teams have the luxury of doing that; not teams who are just emerging from a half-decade of Maccagnan (which itself followed 2 years of Idzik) and need help everywhere. 

Who cares if BB wanted him? He isn't a savant at drafting, and whiffs way more than he hits. He also drafted Kevin O'Connell in round 3. And he just drafted Stidham; with your logic we should have blocked that filthy creep from drafting him, too.

The only way that's a good pick is if he starts wiping the floor with Darnold and becomes our FQB, or at least is so promising-looking that we're not going to draft a QB the following year if Darnold falls flat on his face in '20 or '21. Otherwise it was dumb. 

If Douglas drafted Morgan because he thinks he'll be a valuable player for us, even if he ends up being meh, fine. If it was a pure cock-block move - and particularly if he turns into meh - then not fine. 

Fight me!!

Call me crazy, but complaining about draft picks prior to those picks seeing the field, and blaming the new GM that is cleaning up the mess of the worst GM of all-time, is 100 % jumping the gun and misdirected whining, no?  If most of these midround picks don't pan out and we missed out on some nice WRs, I'll be much more willing to suggest that the complaints are valid.  Until we see this draft class play out its just silly and a waste of energy.

BB's draft history is not great.  But this wasn't a Kevin O'Connell situation.  There's a tangible difference between some of the QB's Belichick drafted in the past, when he had Brady in his prime, and the QB picks he made later on.  He really, really like Jimmy Garoppolo.  And he really didn't want to trade Garoppolo.  This year, all he had was Jarrett Stidham and Brian Hoyer on the roster.  My guess is he definitely didn't like Morgan more as a prospect than he did Garoppolo (if he did he would have definitely used one of his 3rd rounders on him), and saw him as a project (not someone to compete for the job right away).  But certainly any QB Belichick was targeting when he literally didn't have a starting-caliber QB on his roster at the time is worth discussing.  

But yes, I agree that if he chose Morgan PURELY out of spite, that would be problematic.  I doubt that was the case, however.  It was just a nice potential bonus.  And certainly if you believe a team is targeting your guy, you have to go ahead and take him a round early.  We ended up grabbing a pretty good OL prospect and Bryce Hall with our next 2 picks, so ultimately I really don't get all the hand-wringing over grabbing a QB there.  It's really not that serious even if we don't get much of a return on investment on Morgan.

4 hours ago, Jetster said:

This damn team has absolutely no damn luck. I thought the Namath curse was over after 50 years. It’s ridiculous with these damn injuries to a particular group all the time. 
Last year LBs & Oline, this year WRs, 1986 Dline. How the hell can Darnold get any continuity with all these damn injuries on a team already thin at WR?

Sign that chic who gave Sam mono. They obviously have a a close connection. 

Considering that WRs tend to take longer to develop, and RBs don't, and backup QBs can be found in FA, one can argue that JD may have out smart himself and should have picked a WR rather than Perine, or Morgan.   People generally liked the Jets' draft.  I would have liked it better if JD signed RA as insurance, but looking back on it.

Becton-great

Mims-good pick, but he did not come into camp in football shape.  He agree that he may be better off being shelved and brought back when he is healthy, hopefully this year, or redshirt

Davis-great pick here.

Zuniga-maybe an over reach, and should be given an opportunity to get into shape before evaluating.  The Jets appear to have some depth at EDGE.  Maybe redshirt him too.

Perine-looks good, but we needed a WR.

Morgan-should have been a WR and we could have gotten by with Flacco, White and Fales.

Clark-need OL in pipeline

Hall-redshirt him.  

The Jets have a large personnel/scouting staff, but they need to put more effort in getting the players into the building in shape to play.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

53 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Meh, my brother you do way more than your fair share of complaining (and so do I and everyone else here -- except Pac, who's perfect). Repeatedly classifying it as "whining" only when other people are being critical it isn't a very compelling argument. It's also a sign you're resorting to insults because @Beerfish has at least a partly valid point so you're deflecting as a defense mechanism. For more in depth analysis you'll have to consult @TeddEY

We were paper-thin at WR in a deep WR draft, and we took just 1 at that position among his 9 picks. Worse still, IIRC you were not only advocating drafting 2 WRs this year, you were advocating it so we should start 2 of them, which is quite wishful thinking.

A day-2 pick is way too high for cock-blocking someone else when one's own team has so many starter needs. Playoff teams have the luxury of doing that; not teams who are just emerging from a half-decade of Maccagnan (which itself followed 2 years of Idzik) and need help everywhere. 

Who cares if BB wanted him? He isn't a savant at drafting, and whiffs way more than he hits. He also drafted Kevin O'Connell in round 3. And he just drafted Stidham; with your logic we should have blocked that filthy creep from drafting him, too.

The only way that's a good pick is if he starts wiping the floor with Darnold and becomes our FQB, or at least is so promising-looking that we're not going to draft a QB the following year if Darnold falls flat on his face in '20 or '21. Otherwise it was dumb. 

If Douglas drafted Morgan because he thinks he'll be a valuable player for us, even if he ends up being meh, fine. If it was a pure cock-block move - and particularly if he turns into meh - then not fine. 

Fight me!!

Generally speaking it's better to get lottery tickets in undrafted free agency than it is to screw around trying to draft quarterbacks outside the early first round. This year seemed like a reasonable time to make an exception given the massive uncertainty regarding both Darnold and next year's draft. If Darnold has another Darnold season and they don't do something it's basically Sanchez in 2013 all over again. Bring back the preseason. Bring back the snoopy bowl. Just make it stop. And with all the havoc covid has caused and will continue to cause, it seems like it's going to be very difficult to produce anybody next year who is going to come in and help as much as Morgan (or whoever else you got into the building this year) in 2021 and 2022 (or ever) unless it's exactly Trevor Lawrence.

7 hours ago, mrcoops said:

I wanted another WR in the draft, but we have to be realistic.

Would having a Darnell Mooney or Quez Watkins right now - two guys I was calling on us to draft - make us feel greatly confident about our WR position, given all the injury woes we have suffered at the position?

Hard for any team to plan for the level of injuries we have suffered at the position in camp.

In any case, we have Josh Malone on the PS who can be elevated. He is also a former 4th rounder, but comes with the benefit of a year in the system. Next man up.

It wasn't just taking another receiver.  It was taking a receiver that might have gone in the 2nd or 3rd round in lot of drafts.  It was about maximizing value.   Watkins is going to be a steal.   He looks a like a more physical version of DeSean Jackson.  Considering we only signed Perriman to a one year deal, it just made sense to draft a guy who could replace him in year.  Josh Malone is just JAG and guys like him are dime a dozen. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

Looks like Gase apologists have their first excuse for the horrendous performance the Jets offense is going to put up.  

Its ok , when he had Peyton manning running the offense gase was great 

All we have do is go back in time and have parcels promise manning he will pick him first 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Yeah this is why you don't put all your eggs in 1 basket by expecting to go 1-for-1 at such a must-fill position

wait a second..  for years you were the guy saying what Sanchez and Geno had for skill guys was good enough and it was on the QB to make them better.  

Perriman, Crowder, Hogan, Herndon, Griffin, Bell, and Gore are still better than anything Sanchez had the last year or 2 and Geno had both years.

Couple that with the improved O-line and Darnold has no excuses in year 3.  I expect he'll play well.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

Looks like Gase apologists have their first excuse for the horrendous performance the Jets offense is going to put up.  

This was a given, I said it weeks ago that the more injures the jets fans have the more excuses can be shovelled out.

Gregg Williams lost both starting Ilbs, had an under performing 1st round pick, no cbs and got a reasonable level of performance from the defense with udfas, outcasts and late round picks.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

2 hours ago, THE BARON said:

Give Sam time. Watch Sam scan the field. Watch Wr’s run around and round and round and finally get open. See Sam throw and make these average wr’s better. 

6 hours ago, Waka Flocka Flacco said:

Generally speaking it's better to get lottery tickets in undrafted free agency than it is to screw around trying to draft quarterbacks outside the early first round. 

Recent (since 2000) mid/late round QBs (3rd round or later) that have significantly exceeded their draft slot and provided utility.  I have bolded the ones who have reached multiple Pro Bowls:

• Russell Wilson (2012 - 3rd rounder)
  • Nick Foles (2012 - 3rd)
  • Matt Schaub (2004 - 3rd)
  • Josh McCown (2002 - 3rd)
  • Jacoby Brissett (2016 - 3rd)
  • Colt McCoy (2010 - 3rd)
  • Trent Edwards (2007 - 3rd)
  • Dak Prescott (2016 - 4th)
  • Kirk Cousins (2012 - 4th)
  • David Garrard (2002 - 4th)
  • Tom Brady (2000 - 6th)
  • Marc Bulger (2000 - 6th)
  • Gardner Minshew (2019 - 6th)
  • Tyrod Taylor (2011 - 6th)
  • Ryan Fitzpatrick (2005 - 7th)
  • Matt Cassel (2005 - 7th)
  • Trevor Siemian (2015 - 7th)

Recent undrafted QBs that have provided utility since 2000:

• Tony Romo (2003)
  • Case Keenum (2012)
  • Shaun Hill (2002)
  • Brian Hoyer (2009)
  • Matt Moore (2007)
  • Kyle Allen (2019)
  • David Blough (2019)
  • Nick Mullens (2018)
  • Billy Volek (2001)

So that's about twice as many 3rd-7th rounders that have been very useful NFL QB's compared to UDFA guys in the same span. 

And among the drafted list, you'll find 6 who have all reached multiple Pro Bowls (Brady, Wilson, Prescott, Cousins, Bulger, Schaub) and at least 2 future HOFers (Brady, Wilson).  The UDFA list only has 1 QB who has reached multiple Pro Bowls (Romo), and you have to go back to 2003 to find him.  The rest of the UDFA's on the list all proved to be career backups, albeit quality ones.  

It's true that using a 1st round pick on a QB will yield a much higher likelihood of success than trying to find one in the mid/late rounds.  But mid/late round QB's are also much more likely to be an impactful starting QB than a UDFA.  

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, JetBlue said:

It wasn't just taking another receiver.  It was taking a receiver that might have gone in the 2nd or 3rd round in lot of drafts.  It was about maximizing value.   Watkins is going to be a steal.   He looks a like a more physical version of DeSean Jackson.  Considering we only signed Perriman to a one year deal, it just made sense to draft a guy who could replace him in year.  Josh Malone is just JAG and guys like him are dime a dozen. 

I like Watkins, but he hasn't played a down of NFL football yet. Lots of guys look good in camp.

Look back a couple of years, and you could probably find reports from the Bengals' camp of Josh Malone tearing it up and looking like an All-Pro. And now he's being written off on message boards as a dime a dozen JAG.

18 hours ago, JTJet said:

Scroll up a comment. 

I think the kid can probably play. I'm only comparing from an inury/draft status perspective. 

Whats his injury perspective?  He has a hammy?  And?  Youre really comparing a hammy to a couple of knees and whatever else Smith tore?

10 hours ago, mrcoops said:

I like Watkins, but he hasn't played a down of NFL football yet. Lots of guys look good in camp.

Look back a couple of years, and you could probably find reports from the Bengals' camp of Josh Malone tearing it up and looking like an All-Pro. And now he's being written off on message boards as a dime a dozen JAG.

Fair enough, lets re-visit this conversation in a few months or years whichever.  This guy looked the part in college and had the production to back it up.  So far nothing he has done indicates he won't be able to succeed at this level as well.  For one thing you can't teach 4.35 speed.   That will definitely translate to this level.   For the record I didn't hear diddly squat about Josh Malone in college.   Watkins went in the 6th round in one of deepest wide receiver drafts in memory.   Any other year and he probably goes 2 or 3 rounds higher.   

16 hours ago, Spoot-Face said:

F*cking over Bill Belichick > all other forms of pleasure

If you say so, I don't think Belichick gives a sh*t.  He is too busy shining up his Super Bowl trophies.  Maybe it might be a good idea to stop renting space in your head to him.  

1 hour ago, JetBlue said:

If you say so, I don't think Belichick gives a sh*t.  He is too busy shining up his Super Bowl trophies.  Maybe it might be a good idea to stop renting space in your head to him.  

I totes like to imagine him locking himself in a closet and sobbing after he saw James Morgan taken off the board.