Gase Doesn’t Rule out IR for Denzel Mims

JetNation

On 9/11/2020 at 2:24 PM, Patriot Killa said:

Don’t feel good about this one at all. Our injuries, once again, are piling up at a position where we have no depth or anyone truly useful.

But but we signed Donte Moncreif and he had an ok season with Andrew Luck 6 years ago when all the colts receivers were hurt

22 hours ago, Beerfish said:

This was a given, I said it weeks ago that the more injures the jets fans have the more excuses can be shovelled out.

Gregg Williams lost both starting Ilbs, had an under performing 1st round pick, no cbs and got a reasonable level of performance from the defense with udfas, outcasts and late round picks.

I get you point but the OL was SOOO bad last year you simply have to take it into account

6 hours ago, JetBlue said:

If you say so, I don't think Belichick gives a sh*t.  He is too busy shining up his Super Bowl trophies.  Maybe it might be a good idea to stop renting space in your head to him.  

4 hours ago, Spoot-Face said:

I totes like to imagine him locking himself in a closet and sobbing after he saw James Morgan taken off the board.

bill-belichicks-dog.jpg

• Haha 2

On 9/11/2020 at 4:28 PM, Jetsfan80 said:

Call me crazy, but complaining about draft picks prior to those picks seeing the field, and blaming the new GM that is cleaning up the mess of the worst GM of all-time, is 100 % jumping the gun and misdirected whining, no?  If most of these midround picks don't pan out and we missed out on some nice WRs, I'll be much more willing to suggest that the complaints are valid.  Until we see this draft class play out its just silly and a waste of energy.

BB's draft history is not great.  But this wasn't a Kevin O'Connell situation.  There's a tangible difference between some of the QB's Belichick drafted in the past, when he had Brady in his prime, and the QB picks he made later on.  He really, really like Jimmy Garoppolo.  And he really didn't want to trade Garoppolo.  This year, all he had was Jarrett Stidham and Brian Hoyer on the roster.  My guess is he definitely didn't like Morgan more as a prospect than he did Garoppolo (if he did he would have definitely used one of his 3rd rounders on him), and saw him as a project (not someone to compete for the job right away).  But certainly any QB Belichick was targeting when he literally didn't have a starting-caliber QB on his roster at the time is worth discussing.  

But yes, I agree that if he chose Morgan PURELY out of spite, that would be problematic.  I doubt that was the case, however.  It was just a nice potential bonus.  And certainly if you believe a team is targeting your guy, you have to go ahead and take him a round early.  We ended up grabbing a pretty good OL prospect and Bryce Hall with our next 2 picks, so ultimately I really don't get all the hand-wringing over grabbing a QB there.  It's really not that serious even if we don't get much of a return on investment on Morgan.

You’re crazy lol

Seriously, I’m generally happy with the job Douglas has done, but I’m not ecstatic. “Generally happy” is still a massive leap forward from his predecessor, but it doesn’t mean I have to do my part to circle the wagons to defend every move he’s made. 

You in particular were balls deep in favor of drafting 2 WRs. Now that Douglas only drafted one, you’re defending it even in the face of using a day 2 pick on a cock-blocking endeavor or on a designed career backup. The only way this pans out is if Morgan looks awesome to the point where he’s permitted to challenge Darnold for the starting job; this would result in either overtaking Darnold outright, or moving him for a much higher pick later. 

See, the strategy to forgo improving oneself by trying to block others is only a smart move if it’s successful. IMO it’s hard enough to hit on 50% of one’s picks without throwing away one of the higher-percentage ones on purpose.

On 9/11/2020 at 9:18 PM, Pac said:

wait a second..  for years you were the guy saying what Sanchez and Geno had for skill guys was good enough and it was on the QB to make them better.  

Perriman, Crowder, Hogan, Herndon, Griffin, Bell, and Gore are still better than anything Sanchez had the last year or 2 and Geno had both years.

Couple that with the improved O-line and Darnold has no excuses in year 3.  I expect he'll play well.

Receivers don’t make a bad QB into a good QB; they make his job easier, and make the team better, but the tail doesn’t wag the dog. 

I’m hardly in the making-excuses-for-Darnold corner. He needs to play far better than he has. He - like Sanchez and Geno - were drafted to make others around them better, not have his own success gauged purely by the play of others. There were plenty of plays just in the game this past Thursday where you’d see one of these two superior QBs make getting rid of the ball, in the face of an unblocked blitzer, look like a routine formality. Likewise there are other receivers who have only looked good on the receiving end of good QBs and are quickly out of the league without them. 

None of these things mean: in a strong WR draft class, do not draft more than 1 WR when the team needs more than 1, weeks after a weak FA WR class. Instead draft a backup QB who’s right now effectively the team’s 4th string QB behind not just Darnold & Flacco, but also Mike White. 

On 9/12/2020 at 12:13 AM, Jetsfan80 said:

Recent (since 2000) mid/late round QBs (3rd round or later) that have significantly exceeded their draft slot and provided utility.  I have bolded the ones who have reached multiple Pro Bowls:

• Russell Wilson (2012 - 3rd rounder)
  • Nick Foles (2012 - 3rd)
  • Matt Schaub (2004 - 3rd)
  • Josh McCown (2002 - 3rd)
  • Jacoby Brissett (2016 - 3rd)
  • Colt McCoy (2010 - 3rd)
  • Trent Edwards (2007 - 3rd)
  • Dak Prescott (2016 - 4th)
  • Kirk Cousins (2012 - 4th)
  • David Garrard (2002 - 4th)
  • Tom Brady (2000 - 6th)
  • Marc Bulger (2000 - 6th)
  • Gardner Minshew (2019 - 6th)
  • Tyrod Taylor (2011 - 6th)
  • Ryan Fitzpatrick (2005 - 7th)
  • Matt Cassel (2005 - 7th)
  • Trevor Siemian (2015 - 7th)

Recent undrafted QBs that have provided utility since 2000:

• Tony Romo (2003)
  • Case Keenum (2012)
  • Shaun Hill (2002)
  • Brian Hoyer (2009)
  • Matt Moore (2007)
  • Kyle Allen (2019)
  • David Blough (2019)
  • Nick Mullens (2018)
  • Billy Volek (2001)

So that's about twice as many 3rd-7th rounders that have been very useful NFL QB's compared to UDFA guys in the same span. 

And among the drafted list, you'll find 6 who have all reached multiple Pro Bowls (Brady, Wilson, Prescott, Cousins, Bulger, Schaub) and at least 2 future HOFers (Brady, Wilson).  The UDFA list only has 1 QB who has reached multiple Pro Bowls (Romo), and you have to go back to 2003 to find him.  The rest of the UDFA's on the list all proved to be career backups, albeit quality ones.  

It's true that using a 1st round pick on a QB will yield a much higher likelihood of success than trying to find one in the mid/late rounds.  But mid/late round QB's are also much more likely to be an impactful starting QB than a UDFA.  

All this is true. In fairness, one of the reasons a 1st round pick gets a higher likelihood of success - in addition to the obvious: being a better prospect outright - is the massively longer leash and opportunity a 1st round QB is given. 

Further, a mid/late round pick is far more likely to be drafted by a team already set with its starting QB (if not a starting QB in whom the team has already invested heavily). When a team drafts a QB in round 1, it’s unusual to be buried behind a veteran the team wants to keep as the QB1 for the next few years at least. He’s drafted for one purpose: to hopefully unseat him by year 2 at the latest. 

• Upvote 1

On 9/11/2020 at 10:13 PM, Long Island Leprechaun said:

It seems the Gase haters are always obsessed with any possibility that might disprove their bilious attacks. 

I don't hate Gase.  Quite the contrary.  He seems to be a good person. I can also see that he is driven and works very hard.  He's also obviously quite intelligent.  Of course, I can only go on what we see through the media, but he seems a good man,

I don't think he is a good professional football HC.  My assertion is driven and supported by his results both past and present...

3 hours ago, THE BARON said:

I don't hate Gase.  Quite the contrary.  He seems to be a good person. I can also see that he is driven and works very hard.  He's also obviously quite intelligent.  Of course, I can only go on what we see through the media, but he seems a good man,

I don't think he is a good professional football HC.  My assertion is driven and supported by his results both past and present...

And I'm not a Gase apologist. I just don't think it's productive to throw out labels without specifically identifying who you mean, based on a comment. I'm frankly in the middle ground re Gase. Don't like what I've seen all that much, but didn't feel he has had a fair opportunity to show what he is capable of. This year will be revealing of that.