This Brewing '20 WR Fiasco - Darnold Who?

JetsLife

34 minutes ago, SackExchangeNYJ said:

The tasks of both protecting Darnold and giving him weapons were monumental. The Jets were quite deficient in both. It would have been almost impossible to address both in full in one offseason. So if they are are going to focus on one of the two, I'm glad they emphasized protecting him first.

Sorry but they could have done both. Do you forget we had 9 picks after all JDs wheeling and dealing?  I'm okay with the punter, OL, CB and RB picks but back up QB in the 4th and then trading for a back up CB in Wilson are two of the moves that I have issues with and said so at the time.  In any other year I could understand maybe, but this year the WR depth in terms of talent literally went into the 6th round.   How we came away with just one wr is still a sore spot for me as much as I try and get over it.  I was hoping Cager or Campbell could make up for it, and maybe Cager still will at some point, but sometimes you can get a little too cute.  I hope JD learned something from this and next time he is in a situation like this he will not over think it.  

• Upvote 2

Just now, Skeptable said:

Understood... Tough to argue otherwise... I think he proves to you that he is worthy this year despite the lack of talent surrounding him. 

i sure af hope so!!! i was telling @slats that i didnt even know who the hell Darnold was before the draft.

( i watch GOOD NCAA teams not the Bowls that USED to ean something so i never saw THAT rosebowl game)

i wouldnt have boughtthe NFL package and WATCHED the games cos my policy since 2012 has been if they aint good, i dont watch.

So, Darnold is the reason I even WATCH this team these days...

I like him alot, very decent young guy. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

Sorry but they could have done both. Do you forget we had 9 picks after all JDs wheeling and dealing?  I'm okay with the punter, OL, CB and RB picks but back up QB in the 4th and then trading for a back up CB in Wilson are two of the moves that I have issues with and said so at the time.  In any other year I could understand maybe, but this year the WR depth in terms of talent literally went into the 6th round.   How we came away with just one wr is still a sore spot for me as much as I try and get over it.  I was hoping Cager or Campbell could make up for it, and maybe Cager still will at some point, but sometimes you can get a little too cute.  I hope JD learned something from this and next time he is in a situation like this he will not over think it.  

They could have done both, but doing so would have meant deviating from the long-term plan of building the foundation from within, from the inside out. 

Might that have drafted another WR in a later round? Sure. But it is difficult to tell whether that WR would have truly significantly improved the weapons on this team.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, SackExchangeNYJ said:

They could have done both, but doing so would have meant deviating from the long-term plan of building the foundation from within, from the inside out. 

Might that have drafted another WR in a later round? Sure. But it is difficult to tell whether that WR would have truly significantly improved the weapons on this team.

do we know if Cager is playing? cos, if so, look for him to get one v one vs their worst CB.

Just now, Losmeister said:

you just saidcol mccoy in teh same sentence as an mvp!

your football acumen is showing....        

He was MVP with the help of Roman's innovative structuring of the offensive team around LJs strengths... He absolutely proved it with responding and how his team performed around him... Given the same circumstances I think Darnold would have thrived as well. Maybe not MVP caliber but a top tier QB non the less. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

3 hours ago, rangerous said:

so you don't like the cap space?  just who were they supposed to sign?  conklin?  and even there so instead of just having 5 olinemen who haven't played together they'd have a lot of expensive olinemen who never played together.  about the only big time free agents they could have squandered their money on were wr's but even they cost quite a bit and are prima donnas.

Brother I have no problem with cap space and draft capital but in a crucial year for Sam I feel like we’re doing wrong by Sam yet again with what we have. Explore the trade market bring in a guy like Samuel, Marvin Jones, Robert Woods someone like that. Perrimans already banged up we’ve got nothing if he goes down!!! 

1 hour ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

This take is unreasonable.
Veteran franchise quarterbacks elevate lesser teams.

Their first 2-3 years in the league they need a support cast before taking over as the man and knowing the offense inside and out.

When a kid is still learning  how to be a pro, and multiples offenses in his short career, he’s still finding his own way.

You’re asking him to elevate a team like a five year vet in the same system.

So he just needs time, and weapons then?

Feel like I've heard that one before a few times now....

9 hours ago, Warfish said:

Two things can be true at once:

1. The Jets have not supported Sam with talent as much as the Fans want.

2. Franchise QB's elevate the talent around them, Sam hasn't done that (yet).

How does Sam elevate Denzel Mims’ two hamstrings? How does he elevate Vyncint Smith off the IR? How come he couldn’t elevate Herndon or Demaryius Thomas or Ryan Khalil last year?

I’m not really joking. You can only work with what’s around you. Ask Tom Brady about his offense last year. Getting that team to a playoff loss was almost a miracle, similar to getting the 2019 Jets to finish 6-2.

17 hours ago, Warfish said:

If you say so.  

Wasn’t Darnold the most frequently pressured QB in the league last year? 
I thought I read that somewhere. Even if he was the 5th most pressured QB, how do you expect him to raise the play of others when running for your life with no running game to fall back on?

16 hours ago, JetBlue said:

Can you really expect a late 4th round pick to contribute much year 1 anyway? Look at Mims as an example. 

The Jets have two first round picks next year, and I’m certain they will bring in another high caliber WR to pair with Mims.