Mims, Williamson, Perine & Flacco out for Sunday

JetNation

NY Jets Injury Report

As we mentioned earlier, Denzel Mims had a setback and injured his other hamstring. He has been ruled out for Sunday. The injury list is longer than you hope heading into the season opener with no preseason games. Avery Williamson, RB La’Mical Perine and Joe Flacco also join Denzel Mims in the out category.

Alex Lewis and Marcus Maybe are both listed as questionable.

Gase explained what Marcus Maye is dealing with but it sounds like they expect him to play on Sunday.

It’s one of those deals, I don’t know exactly how it happened, but in practice the other day I think he got caught, somebody stepped on him. It’s been bothering him since the other day.

NY Jets Injury Report

The post Mims, Williamson, Perine & Flacco out for Sunday appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
VwFBCdBEf5w

Click here to read the full story...

Jets S Marcus Maye (calf, ankle) is questionable for Week 1 against the Bills.

Already without All-Pro Jamal Adams after the team shipped him to Seattle this offseason, Maye's absence would absolutely rock New York's secondary to its core. Maye has just four career interceptions and two forced fumbles in his career but is still considered an upgrade over third-round rookie Ashtyn Davis.

This is the kind of stupid sh*t people in the "media" write. What the **** is he even talking about? How do you upgrade on someone that has never played a snap?

• Upvote 1

With Williamson out, we are down to two ILBs: Cashman and Hewitt.  Only PS ILB we have is Ogletree who has only been with the team for a couple of days.  Wonder if we reach out to James Burgess to fill the last spot on the 53.  Was solid last year and was with the team all through TC.

1 minute ago, Lith said:

With Williamson out, we are down to two ILBs: Cashman and Hewitt.  Only PS ILB we have is Ogletree who has only been with the team for a couple of days.  Wonder if we reach out to James Burgess to fill the last spot on the 53.  Was solid last year and was with the team all through TC.

Unless they’re going with lots of dbs.  The roster seems unbalanced, with too few lbs and wrs and too many DL.  It’s as if they’re going to put big uglies up front and then flood the secondary to confuse allen.  Sounds like what Rex would do.

6 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Think of all the wrs and rbs that were drafted and the jets, who need it the most, have no rookie skill positions playing opening day, and probably not next week either.

Totally agree.  The only thing I was looking forward to watching was Mims, Perine and Becton and how they start their development.  I guess we’ll see Becton.  There is nothing worse than watching a bunch of players that you know are not in the long term plans for this team.  

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

Totally agree.  The only thing I was looking forward to watching was Mims, Perine and Becton and how they start their development.  I guess we’ll see Becton.  There is nothing worse than watching a bunch of players that you know are not in the long term plans for this team.  

And perhaps the most vexing thing about this game, is that it’s probably going to be close like the other jets/bills games with darnold.  But so many of us here are tired of ‘close’ and ‘moral victories’.   As it is, I’d be realistically satisfied if darnold shows improvement and beckton shows well.  Yet with crowder/perriman/herndon/bell, that’s not great but perhaps serviceable.  It’s just that so much speed is injured.

55 minutes ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

Even when we are expected to be bad, we can't even have the luxury of watching our young players (Mims and Perrine) play.

I am not expecting us to be bad. I am clueless why people are rating us so low. I think we have a solid chance to win our division.

• Haha 2

not the best way to start the season.  maybe the only good thing is those guys haven't been practicing much so far because they've been injured or are coming off injuries.  the other thing is that darnold should still have enough receivers to throw to with herndon, crowder, griffen, bell etc.  maybe we'll see 30-35 attempts.

1 hour ago, Augustiniak said:

And perhaps the most vexing thing about this game, is that it’s probably going to be close like the other jets/bills games with darnold.  But so many of us here are tired of ‘close’ and ‘moral victories’.   As it is, I’d be realistically satisfied if darnold shows improvement and beckton shows well.  Yet with crowder/perriman/herndon/bell, that’s not great but perhaps serviceable.  It’s just that so much speed is injured.

Don’t worry it won’t be that ‘close’ this Sunday 

1 hour ago, johnnysd said:

I am not expecting us to be bad. I am clueless why people are rating us so low. I think we have a solid chance to win our division.

The reason the Jets are rated so low is because of the following:

1.  2nd worse receiver group, ahead of only the Washington football team.

2.  5 new starters on the offensive line with two journeymen at G, a joke at RT in Fant, a slightly above average center and a promising rookie LT.

3.  Horrible CB room, Desir, Austin and Poole are well below league average.

4.  Constant injuries and a suspect training and medical staff

5.  Horrible leadership from the owner, terrible coaching and culture.  Jets have to overpay for free agents and their poor treatment of players was well documented last season.

6. Adam Gase, nothing more needs to be added

to be honest based on having to play the AFC West and NFC west, see a 1-7 record in those games, 2-4 at best in the division and possible a split against Colts and Browns.

Thinking is you will be 4-12, top 5 pick 

41 minutes ago, Marckry said:

2.  5 new starters on the offensive line with two journeymen at G, a joke at RT in Fant, a slightly above average center and a promising rookie LT.

5.  Horrible leadership from the owner, terrible coaching and culture.  Jets have to overpay for free agents and their poor treatment of players was well documented last season.

to be honest based on having to play the AFC West and NFC west, see a 1-7 record in those games, 2-4 at best in the division and possible a split against Colts and Browns.

Honestly, I am more optimistic on 2 and 3, more negative on 4, 5 and 6, and I think if Mims can get his act together we can be bottom 5-10, not 2.  So I am at 5-7 wins. 

8 minutes ago, varjet said:

Honestly, I am more optimistic on 2 and 3, more negative on 4, 5 and 6, and I think if Mims can get his act together we can be bottom 5-10, not 2.  So I am at 5-7 wins. 

With the Bronco injuries of Von Miller and Cortland Sutton, am thinking Jets split with Dolphins and Patriots, beat Denver, possibly beat the Rams.

See them losing twice to Buffalo, to KC, to Chargers, to 49ers, to Seahawks and Colts and Browns

Games in question, Arizona, Raiders, 

Low 4-12, best case 7-9, probable 5-11

39 minutes ago, Marckry said:

Eh, possible, but this is also a very pessimistic outlook. 

1. Yes, the WR group is weak. no question. But as I have said numerous times before, the Jets get back a healthy Herndon and Griffin,  they have a great pass catching RB in Bell, they have a very solid slot WR in Crowder and a deep threat speedster in Perriman on the outside, who even if not a #1, can't be ignored by the opposing defense. You combine that with a QB who can extend plays and is used to playing with pressure and the Jets should be able to move the chains via the pass. In other words, you can have a pretty bad receiving group and still pass the ball. 

2. Despite there being 5 new starters, the O-line is vastly improved from last year (on paper). And JD added depth, which is something we lacked as well. We have a rock solid C, which is critical. We have a really talented rookie at LT, who at the very least we know can run block like a monster. I don't know why you consider Fant to be a 'joke' at RT. At any rate, he's an upgrade over Edoga/Shell. And there's nothing wrong with having veteran Guards protecting your young QB, even if they are journeymen. Although GVR was with GB and CAR before he came to the Jets and Lewis was only a Raven so its not like they have been kicked around the NFL from team to team throughout their careers. 

3. The CB room is really not that 'horrible'. Certainly these guys have a lot to prove but the Jets brought in Desir, who should be a solid starter on the outside, even if not a legit #1. They have Bless, showed flashes last season and has a ton of promise. And they have Poole who played like one of the best slot CBs in the league last year. And at safety they have Maye, McDougald and a young, speedy, athletic safety in Davis. When you consider the fact that the Jets D-line is stacked and GW knows how to get the most out of his secondary, this is far from a 'horrible' CB room. They will do much better than people think if they can stay healthy. 

4. Yes, the injuries will sink the Jets. Certain position have better depth but its just too hard to overcome injuries if they keep piling up. So I def. agree on all fronts. The jets need to stay relatively healthy. Not a good start so far. 

5. Eh. Not a huge fan of Gase but I wonder how his offense will look with Sam in year 3 and a revamped o-line. GW worked his magic, not sure how you can say he was a terrible coach. JD has shown he is starting to bring a shift in the culture. And of course, nothing you can do about ownership except whine about it. At the end of the day, if Gase's offense can put up points, GWs defense can defend and JD steers the Jets in the right direction they will win games. 

6. Again, yeah, not a fan of Gase. But in the end, if his offense puts up points with a revamped O-line, Darnold has a great season in year 3, and the Jets win games all will be forgotten. And if not, he will get canned.      

12 minutes ago, Marckry said:

With the Bronco injuries of Von Miller and Cortland Sutton, am thinking Jets split with Dolphins and Patriots, beat Denver, possibly beat the Rams.

See them losing twice to Buffalo, to KC, to Chargers, to 49ers, to Seahawks and Colts and Browns

Games in question, Arizona, Raiders, 

Low 4-12, best case 7-9, probable 5-11

I pretty much agree except I think there is a good chance they beat the Colts, Chargers and Seahawks. All 3 of those are 'up in the air' IMO. It will take a lot of great play from Darnold and the O-line but if they get hot and stay healthy they could def. make a run and win 8-9 games. 

3 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

I predict we win tomorrow by the same score as last year:

Bills 17

Jets 16

• Haha 2

23 hours ago, johnnysd said:

I hope you're right but I personally don't see us being better than we were last year record wise. I don't see a big enough upgrade on the O-Line to make that a strong unit. We have potential at receiver but are really banged up there right now. We still don't have a pass rush. 

We basically are a team that made modest improvements across the board. I liked the Adams trade value wise a lot but not having him this year is definitely going to hurt us on the field. He was our best defensive player. 

Unless Darnold takes a big leap forward, I just don't see us as a team that's going to be much better than we were last year. We haven't given Darnold a great set of talent around. There's potential, but I don't see enough improvement. 

3 hours ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

I hope you're right but I personally don't see us being better than we were last year record wise. I don't see a big enough upgrade on the O-Line to make that a strong unit. We have potential at receiver but are really banged up there right now. We still don't have a pass rush. 

We basically are a team that made modest improvements across the board. I liked the Adams trade value wise a lot but not having him this year is definitely going to hurt us on the field. He was our best defensive player. 

Unless Darnold takes a big leap forward, I just don't see us as a team that's going to be much better than we were last year. We haven't given Darnold a great set of talent around. There's potential, but I don't see enough improvement. 

I think the OL upgrade is just HUGE. We have one of the better defensive lines in football especially against the run, and now the OL should not be incompetent. It's hard to overemphasize how important that is. Darnold would be significantly better than Prescott on the Cowboys. And anyone that thinks that Sam is not raising the level of play around him just needs to look at the games without him

4 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

I think the OL upgrade is just HUGE. We have one of the better defensive lines in football especially against the run, and now the OL should not be incompetent. It's hard to overemphasize how important that is. Darnold would be significantly better than Prescott on the Cowboys. And anyone that thinks that Sam is not raising the level of play around him just needs to look at the games without him

I think our team made a huge upgrade on the O-Line, but we were so bad that even being slightly below average is a massive improvement.

Becton is a rookie so we don't know about him yet. Fant was a project pick by the Seahawks and they gave up on him. McGovern and GVR are good players. And Alex Lewis was below average last year. I think there's potential, but I need to see it first. 

On 9/12/2020 at 9:05 AM, ScarletKnight89 said:

Even when we are expected to be bad, we can't even have the luxury of watching our young players (Mims and Perrine) play.

So many Jet fans seem to have forgotten that we have a running back in Le'Veon Bell who has enough ability to make the league forget his team even has other running backs.