College Football Saturday

Matt39

I miss College Football in Oregon.  Not so much the Pac-12.  Because it's a joke of a conference.  But the Ducks are the one dynamic sports brand Oregon can claim.  Blazers are treadmill nobodies.  Beavers are trash.  Timbers are a sport that nobody cares for.  But Ducks football got itself out of the gutter when I was a kid and turned into a national brand.  Which is almost impossible in this kind of sports environment.

1 minute ago, pdxgreen said:

I miss College Football in Oregon.  Not so much the Pac-12.  Because it's a joke of a conference.  But the Ducks are the one dynamic sports brand Oregon can claim.  Blazers are treadmill nobodies.  Beavers are trash.  Timbers are a sport that nobody cares for.  But Ducks football got itself out of the gutter when I was a kid and turned into a national brand.  Which is almost impossible in this kind of sports environment.

I feel bad for you this year.   You had a really good team coming back and a great opening week matchup against Ohio State.  Cristobal can coach and has been recruiting really well.  

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

I feel bad for you this year.   You had a really good team coming back and a great opening week matchup against Ohio State.  Cristobal can coach and has been recruiting really well.  

Picking good coaches is what so many Pac - 12 programs like UCLA and USC always _____ up.  I don't know why don't have better luck.  Probably a power dynamic thing with the boosters and ADs.  But Oregon had a distinct plan that took around 20 or so years.  Get an actual coach who can recruit (Rich Brooks) then build the facilities to the point you stop losing.  Find a successor from a program that can take your offense to the next level (Mike Belotti.)  Continue with a similar hire.  (Chip Kelly)  Then they reach a point where hiring from within doesn't work anymore.  So they fire everybody and take a chance on somebody who should never have been fired in the first place.  Cristobal.  There's always misteps along the way but they go with the flow of college football and are very deliberate in everything they do.  Rob Mullens is probably one of the best AD's in the country.  They always say "Nike. Nike. Nike."  But they don't run the program.

1 hour ago, Rangers9 said:

So I was watching games yesterday and one thing stuck out. I now have a good package of sports channels. And when I channel surfed I got games on some of them that it turned out were from years ago. And it wasn't always identified. You could tell by the players and an occasional graphic. You knew no Big Ten etc. Anyways, I love college football but like MLB this year not nearly the same. I kind of have more respect for schools that I think are doing more precautions for the kids and spectators. If we lose the season I'm OK with that better than losing lives. It's one year guys and gals and we can suck it up and adapt and be tougher. Not having many of our amenities is not such a big sacrifice. It's the least we can do when some people are risking their lives to help others.  

invasion of the body snatchers GIF

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, pdxgreen said:

Picking good coaches is what so many Pac - 12 programs like UCLA and USC always _____ up.  I don't know why don't have better luck.  Probably a power dynamic thing with the boosters and ADs.  But Oregon had a distinct plan that took around 20 or so years.  Get an actual coach who can recruit (Rich Brooks) then build the facilities to the point you stop losing.  Find a successor from a program that can take your offense to the next level (Mike Belotti.)  Continue with a similar hire.  (Chip Kelly)  Then they reach a point where hiring from within doesn't work anymore.  So they fire everybody and take a chance on somebody who should never have been fired in the first place.  Cristobal.  There's always misteps along the way but they go with the flow of college football and are very deliberate in everything they do.  Rob Mullens is probably one of the best AD's in the country.  They always say "Nike. Nike. Nike."  But they don't run the program.

Agreed.  The head coach in college needs to be a program builder.   It’s not as much about X’s and O’s as it is culture and recruiting.  I remember when Dabo was first hired, he was the WR coach when they gave him the interim job.  At his first press conference he basically called out everyone in the program coaches and players, either you are all in or you can leave. Since that day the program has never been the same.  

• Upvote 1