The hate on Darnold is bothersome to me

Alka

As a Jets fan, I was disgusted before last season and predicted that the Jets would be awful due to their garbage offensive line.  Osemele was supposed to come in and be really good, we brought a guy out of retirement who was awful at center, our right guard in Winters was either playing hurt or not playing.  And our right tackle was a 3rd round draft pick who experts said was an underperfomer.  Average left tackle and there you have your 2019 offensive line.

How anyone can honestly evaluate Sam Darnold last year with his getting mononucleosis in early season, add to it that all the draft picks in the past was on the defense and nothing of substance was devoted to the offense, and it seems like a "hit job" that experts are saying that Darnold is 29th best QB in the league.

This year is the year to properly evaluate Sam Darnold.  I don't want to hear that the receivers are no good, because I remember when Tom Brady worked with no-name wide receivers and did fine.  Sam got himself an offensive line, got a running back, tight end and as far as I am concerned, that's good enough.

Sam, make your wide receivers better by not overthrowing to them and putting them in good spots to succeed.  I believe with this offensive line, This is the year to evaluate Sam Darnold.  Not last year, not as a rookie, not next year when we can draft some stud wide receiver, but this year.

It's put up or shut up time this year.  But to say Darnold is no good because of the past is wrong, and to me it's just the fact that the experts like to pile on hate on the NY Jets.  

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 2

I do not see much hate but I see a lot of doubt.   I think this doubt is premature, the talent he has had to work with and the coaching is atrocious.

My other feeling is that people that are salivating over Trevor Lawrence are way off base.

Bring in any  new young Qb with the jets as they are and he will have as tough a time if not more tough than darnold.

I do not have tons of patience for prospects as they have to show something really good early but with Darnold he needs more talent and better coaching.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

I do not see much hate but I see a lot of doubt.   I think this doubt is premature, the talent he has had to work with and the coaching is atrocious.

My other feeling is that people that are salivating over Trevor Lawrence are way off base.

Bring in any  new young Qb with the jets as they are and he will have as tough a time if not more tough than darnold.

I do not have tons of patience for prospects as they have to show something really good early but with Darnold he needs more talent and better coaching.

He's coming into the season healthy and he's got an offensive line.  His tight end (Herndon) is healthy and we got a running back.  The defense is good enough to get off the field and give the offense some time to do their stuff.  This is the year.  You don't need great wide receivers, you need to give the QB time to throw the ball, and a running game to keep the defense honest.  

No more excuses as far as I'm concerned.  But equally Darnold got a raw deal with this crappy offensive line of the past.  His first year starts tomorrow.

2 minutes ago, fusionCA said:

The offensive line had nothing to do with Darnold getting mono 

Thats irresponsible and stupid , keeping yourself healthy and be careful who you get close to is just as important. 

The level of excuses for Darnold is off the charts 

Like I've been saying throughout this thread, no more excuses!

It starts now.  

Just now, Alka said:

Like I've been saying throughout this thread, no more excuses!

It starts now.  

I am not even talking about his level of play , how can you be so irresponsible when the Jets gave you the keys to the kingdom ?

How many starting QB's got mono the last 10 years ? My guess would be 0 (maybe 1)

Until I see otherwise Darnold is unprofessional kid and you can't win like that 

I hope he change that perception and be better 

• Thumb Down 2
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Alka said:

It's put up or shut up time this year.  But to say Darnold is no good because of the past is wrong, and to me it's just the fact that the experts like to pile on hate on the NY Jets.

If Darnold can’t succeed in a Gase offense then he’s got to go.  

SAR I

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, fusionCA said:

I am not even talking about his level of play , how can you be so irresponsible when the Jets gave you the keys to the kingdom ?

How many starting QB's got mono the last 10 years ? My guess would be 0 (maybe 1)

Probably because they got it when they were younger.

• Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, Waka Flocka Flacco said:

As opposed to what? Certainty?

Your words not mine.

Some people had certainty attached to Mark Sanchez after his 1st two years of coming into the league with a team with a great running game, great oline, great defense and at least passable offensive weapons.

• Upvote 1

Until he proves otherwise, Sam is a bad QB. His first 2 years have not gone well. By year 3 the excuses arent going to be enough to defend him. 

I hope he has his breakthrough year and elevates the team. Do I think his weapons are downright bad again? Yes. But, at a certain point you have to work with what you're given.

I'm looking for a big jump. 2:1 TD ratio, 4000 yards, play a full season. He needs to prove he is a franchise QB.i hope he does. 

But until he does he doesnt deserve effusive praise or given labels of things he hasnt proven to be. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 3
  • Post of the Week 1

7 minutes ago, DonMaynardFan said:

As any other QB in NFL history gotten mono during the NFL season?

Honestly asking.

I can’t think of any off the top of my head.

There was one other years ago.  

Good QBs start to get extensions after year 3 off their contracts.  If Darnold wants one, he needs to step up.  

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, DonMaynardFan said:

Has any other QB in NFL history gotten mono during the NFL season?

Honestly asking.

I can’t think of any off the top of my head.

Honestly not sure.  Like I said, it's an incredibly common illness so most probably had it already.

• Upvote 1